General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by RamStock »

Western Kentucky seems to get someone in the top 75 every other year.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-sc ... 32151.html
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I read Pitino buy out is high but if he gets Iona to a top 50 team he may bolt to greener pastures
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

reef wrote: 4 years ago I read Pitino buy out is high but if he gets Iona to a top 50 team he may bolt to greener pastures
Great deal for all parties. Iona has the success and attention they want with a nice size buyout to cover other expenses or use to the program and Pitino proves that he can build up a smaller program and gets the high profile job he wants.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Interesting player in the portal: Soph Alan Griffin 6'5" SG leaving Illinois. Shot 41% from three (47-113). Went to Ossining High.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Western Kentucky seems to get someone in the top 75 every other year.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-sc ... 32151.html

Harmon is ranked #20 ESPN 2021 but is likely to reclassify to 2020 and go to WKU this upcoming year.

Great pick up for the Mid Major WKU.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting player in the portal: Soph Alan Griffin 6'5" SG leaving Illinois. Shot 41% from three (47-113). Went to Ossining High.
He played with Obie at Ossining. He is the son of Seton Hall and NBA Player Adrian Griffin.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting player in the portal: Soph Alan Griffin 6'5" SG leaving Illinois. Shot 41% from three (47-113). Went to Ossining High.
He played with Obie at Ossining. He is the son of Seton Hall and NBA Player Adrian Griffin.
Obie was at his house yesterday playing basketball with him in his driveway...saying he was going to Duke.

No social distancing going on there! :shock:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Obie was at his house yesterday playing basketball with him in his driveway...saying he was going to Duke.

No social distancing going on there! :shock:
Alan Griffin’s Brother, AJ Griffin, is 2021 Ranked #11 ESPN and has already committed to Duke.
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

THE PITINO EFFECT - THINK F''ING BIG WE DO

NCAA announces penalties in Louisville recruiting scandal. The NCAA announced its discipline for the Louisville Cardinals basketball program Thursday morning, with coach Rick Pitino getting hit with a five-game ban in 2017-18 ACC play and the program being put on four years of probation, among other penalties.will face scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received though conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments.
The Cardinals will have to vacate 123 victories including the championship, and return some $600,000 in conference revenue from the 2012-15 NCAA Tournaments.

Great deal for all parties. Iona has the success and attention they want with a nice size buyout to cover other expenses or use to the program and Pitino proves that he can build up a smaller program and gets the high profile job he wants.

REALLY GREAT DEAL FOR BOTH SIDES. Ask Louisville how this worked out. Everything they achieved was wiped away and a Storied program has
a stain on it that can't be washed away. Yes Louisville has recovered but they are LOUISVILLE not Iona.

No thanks.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Peace Tyrese...

Where them wing transfers at?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago exactly - you need the big name to get big time recruits

URI would have been having some fun winning w/ Rick Pitino

if only we offered him a job....

THINK BIG DO WE
You don’t think a sweet 16 run by Iona next year
and he keeps himself clean that he wouldn’t bolt for a lower P5 team? I do and than all his recruits would transfer out and then where would Iona be? Maybe in the same place as now at best but would 1 sweet 16 run for us be worth it when our best players would be leaving not our bench guys like now?
Rick Pitino, keep himself clean? I guess there's a first for everything
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Where's the NCAA when it comes to disciplining P5 schools for the FBI investigation?

Oh that's right, there won't be any!

Cleveland State is REALLY fucked!
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

URI this off season- 'YOU get an offer....YOU get an offer....YOU get an offer!"
Last edited by Rhodymob05 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It looks like we're going to need at least some transfers to fill our roster for next season. If this new transfer rule does not go through, we're going to have a thin roster once again.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I have no idea how good these players are, but recruits are committing to Iona in droves. Rothstein just posted about two more.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Dude looks awful based of stats.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

Didn't we recruit him out of HS? Sounds familiar. Right now we need bodies big time.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

His stats aren’t bad considering he only plays 12 minutes a game. I’m all for signing him. He’s 6’10 and shoots a high percentage from the field and can rebound.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Cooley doesn't seem to be having that much of a problem moving along in these unusual times.

0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Must be nice! At Iona even! Cox get off your ass or move along, you are not havinf much success on this front!
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Yeah, with an already depleted or very short roster, with possibly could be another defection or more looming, it sure would be nice to get at least a couple of more guys in the fold. And I have to wonder, what is going on with the current defections, if there were to be anymore, can we be so sure that our current recruits begin to have 2nd thoughts?
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I know if i signed an LOI and saw this dumpster fire i would he asking for my release.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago I know if i signed an LOI and saw this dumpster fire i would he asking for my release.
Let's see... load gun .... point at my own foot .... take careful aim.... and PULL the trigger.

Kids read these boards.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago I know if i signed an LOI and saw this dumpster fire i would he asking for my release.
Let's see... load gun .... point at my own foot .... take careful aim.... and PULL the trigger.

Kids read these boards.

Shooting myself in the foot would be better then watching the previous months spiral down the shitter with this program. Sorry, not sorry.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Must be nice! At Iona even! Cox get off your ass or move along, you are not havinf much success on this front!
Serious question.

Do you guys think Cox & Co. are sitting on his hands right now?

Do you think he’s wrapped in his favorite blankie watching the Sopranos from Season 1 again?

A guy that has recruited his ass off his whole career to get where he is....seriously, what do you all really think he’s doing?

I can almost assure you, without a shadow of a doubt that’s he’s been on the horn since March 8.
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Serious question.

Do you guys think he’s sitting on his hands right now?

Do you think he’s wrapped in his favorite blankie watching the Sopranos from Season 1 again?

I guy that has recruited his ass off his whole career to get where he is....seriously, what do you all really think he’s doing?

I can almost assure you, without a shadow of a doubt that’s he’s been on the horn since March 8.

Im sure he has, but i ask you this; You arent concerned one bit after watching the end of the season, the lack of a filled out roster on 3/26, and the obscene number of transfers?

Being a good recruiter does not translate to having the ability to lead a group of young men once they arrive.

We need answers! And we need to see results. I dont think i have ever been this down on this program in my 30 years of fandom.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

And such a good recruiter that how many have left the program? You know what i dont care about the majority of them. But Tate and Tyrese were my favorite non seniors on the team. Long was a great glue guy that every team needs. And they all gone. Hasnt made a splash on the recruiting trail in months. So really tell me again how good of a recruiter he is!?!
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago And such a good recruiter that how many have left the program? You know what i dont care about the majority of them. But Tate and Tyrese were my favorite non seniors on the team. Long was a great glue guy that every team needs. And they all gone. Hasnt made a splash on the recruiting trail in months. So really tell me again how good of a recruiter he is!?!
You all keep lumping the kids into the same pot. Dana didn’t transfer by choice.

Tyrese is getting offers from heavy hitters. While I hate his decision, I also don’t find a huge fault in it. We are still URI. A program that does ZILCH to match the relevancy of the big dogs.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago And such a good recruiter that how many have left the program? You know what i dont care about the majority of them. But Tate and Tyrese were my favorite non seniors on the team. Long was a great glue guy that every team needs. And they all gone. Hasnt made a splash on the recruiting trail in months. So really tell me again how good of a recruiter he is!?!
You all keep lumping the kids into the same pot. Dana didn’t transfer by choice.

Tyrese is getting offers from heavy hitters. While I hate his decision, I also don’t find a huge fault in it. We are still URI. A program that does ZILCH to make the relevancy of the big dogs.
Its the A10 man we will never be at the relevant level of the "big dogs" yet we have never had this mass exodus before.

And you cant "get offers" from big dogs while still under scholarship with a program. Yes i could barely write that keeping a straight face. But come on man these are bad bad times at rhody. He has half a roster to fill and its the end of march. You can be critical of your boy!
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tyrese is getting offers from heavy hitters. While I hate his decision, I also don’t find a huge fault in it. We are still URI. A program that does ZILCH to make the relevancy of the big dogs.
Its the A10 man we will never be at the relevant level of the "big dogs" yet we have never had this mass exodus before.

And you cant "get offers" from big dogs while still under scholarship with a program. Yes i could barely write that keeping a straight face. But come on man these are bad bad times at rhody. He has half a roster to fill and its the end of march. You can be critical of your boy!
I’m so fortunate that you have all the answers. Problems solved. Thanks.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I’m so fortunate that you have all the answers. Problems solved. Thanks.

Didnt offer one solution or answer in my post. You are harping on blind faith, i am looking at the current roster, actually lack of a roster. You make excuses for every player that has left. I want solutions to stop it from happening again. This is NOT normal.
2 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Not to get too involved in the pissing match going on. But FDshoes, are you saying you don't think Tyrese had informal knowledge that Power5 schools were interested in him?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Serious question.

Do you guys think Cox & Co. are sitting on his hands right now?

A guy that has recruited his ass off his whole career to get where he is....seriously, what do you all really think he’s doing?

I know from being in a sales position that excuse doesn’t work. I hope Cox figures it out. He is making a high six figure salary per year. This is what they pay him to do. If everyone started to leaving a company at once questions would be asked from the higher ups. People have a right to be concerned.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Not to get too involved in the pissing match going on. But FDshoes, are you saying you don't think Tyrese had informal knowledge that Power5 schools were interested in him?
Why i wrote that i couldnt write that with a straight face.

Dowtin would have also had immense interest from p5s. If you are a good player from a high mid major you will have p5 interest. That doesnt take rocket science to figure out.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sf2010 wrote: 4 years ago Not to get too involved in the pissing match going on. But FDshoes, are you saying you don't think Tyrese had informal knowledge that Power5 schools were interested in him?
Why i wrote that i couldnt write that with a straight face.

Dowtin would have also had immense interest from p5s. If you are a good player from a high mid major you will have p5 interest. That doesnt take rocket science to figure out.
Not all kids are built like Jeff. Unfortunately.

Guys I’m done with the pissing match. I’ll resume my blind faith in silence.

Go Rhody.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'll state my piece. This is a fucking disaster. We have 6 players returning IF Harris stays. 2 of them never saw the floor last year. We have 2 freshmen recruits. No other way to say it but this is a place I never thought we would be in with Cox as coach. Cox needs to find 5, FIVE, players to fill the roster. DUMPSTER FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

It looks like the requirement to sit a rear after a transfer is what was holding many of the players back. Now, it looks like they all think the requirement is going away and the floodgates have been opened because no one wants to be left out. It’ll be interesting to see how many of them find out that the grass is not always greener at other schools and they should have stayed where they began. The human experience is always interesting to observe.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But not all teams are experiencing this.
Some are opposite and are beneficiaries

Some teams will take advantage
Some teams will status quo
Some teams will get taken advantage of
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I'll state my piece. This is a fucking disaster. We have 6 players returning IF Harris stays. 2 of them never saw the floor last year. We have 2 freshmen recruits. No other way to say it but this is a place I never thought we would be in with Cox as coach. Cox needs to find 5, FIVE, players to fill the roster. DUMPSTER FIRE!!!!!!!!!!
This is what happens when grown men can’t go outside to the bar.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

This is a dumpster fire. The big selling point with the Cox hire was continuity. So yeah.....

We have five open schollies, a lot of smoke around Fatts and Harris possibly exiting and April 1st is less than a week away!

Spare me the nonsense about Covid-19, the fact these schollies haven’t been filled yet is alarming. The transfer rate at URI under Cox is being used against us on the recruiting trail and who can blame our competition? I would be beating that drum as an opposing recruiter.

The thing nobody talks about either.... how’s our APR looking?

18-5 (10-1) seems like a distant memory at this point. What a difference a couple of months make.
2 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

To add on to my previous post, has there been a more talented player since 2007 to transfer than Martin without mitigating circumstances? Holton and Billy B being notable mitigating circumstance transfers.

(I say 2007 since I didn’t follow program as closely prior.)
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

STC wrote: 4 years ago To add on to my previous post, has there been a more talented player since 2007 to transfer than Martin without mitigating circumstances? Holton and Billy B being notable mitigating circumstance transfers.

(I say 2007 since I didn’t follow program as closely prior.)

No not even and close. And IMO you can go back long before 07.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This kid would be a star here.
0 x
GO RAMS
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I look forward to going 14-17 while Cole averages 7.3 PPG.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago This kid would be a star here.
Any highlight tape makes kids look like stars.

He’d more than likely be an average to slightly above average A10 player.

But we needs bodies with experience for next year, so why not take him.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

A warm body, sure. Listed as 6’10” but so is Banks who you can see in front of him there. Likely 6’8 ish.
Jumper looks good but shot a scorching 19% from three and 54% from the free throw line.
He is what he is.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago A warm body, sure. Listed as 6’10” but so is Banks who you can see in front of him there. Likely 6’8 ish.
Jumper looks good but shot a scorching 19% from three and 54% from the free throw line.
He is what he is.
He at least looks athletic and coordinated.

Looks more skilled than what we have.

Definitely want to limit the three ball attempts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago A warm body, sure. Listed as 6’10” but so is Banks who you can see in front of him there. Likely 6’8 ish.
He is what he is.
He at least looks athletic and coordinated.

Looks more skilled than what we have.

Definitely want to limit the three ball attempts.
and FT attempts
0 x