Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Tyrese Martin

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Maybe for the transfer rule to pass, so he doesn't have to sit a year?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

I don't think you're making any sort of grand prediction here. The team is a shell of itself, so would it really surprise anyone if Fatts jumped ship too?
Yeah this is old news. I expect Fatts to leave.
If this is the case, what would he be waiting for???
Probably waiting for most everyone else to announce, so he can announce and have all the attention on him.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......next man up now becomes next transfer up.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago DC, believe it or not, I hope Cox crushes it on the recruiting trail here in the next few weeks.

It's just alarming to me that we're hearing NOTHING lately and other programs are signing guys left and right.

I know the staff is working and doesn't reveal much, but ANY good news would be nice!

We've got to hit a couple of homers here!
Commits are coming. I think people will breathe a sigh of relief once the dust settles. Right now, we are all just inhaling the debris.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago

I don't think you're making any sort of grand prediction here. The team is a shell of itself, so would it really surprise anyone if Fatts jumped ship too?
Yeah this is old news. I expect Fatts to leave.
If this is the case, what would he be waiting for???
Waiting for a day where he can be the main attraction like everyone else in this so called sport now? He is the one guy that should be loyal to Cox to the end. He stuck with him when no one else did his sophomore year. That wouldn’t have been the case at a power 5 school. If Fatts leaves it shows how poor the sport has become.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

The other thing is, I dont think it matters that much to NBA scouts whether you play in the A-10 or ACC. The gap isnt that significant. You dont see back ups on ACC teams make it into the NBA.

It's not like Tyler Catalina coming from URI to Georgia to get a better shot at the NFL.

From the list of the teams he has after him, they really aren't all that much better than us anyway.

Next year, with Rese, and everyone back, with some more help of course, we could easily find ourselves, as good as, or better than at least half of those teams.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

It would be great if the commits just do it already....We really could use some good news right now, and it would also potentially assist others in their decision to commit or to stay with URI.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago The other thing is, I dont think it matters that much to NBA scouts whether you play in the A-10 or ACC. The gap isnt that significant. You dont see back ups on ACC teams make it into the NBA.

It's not like Tyler Catalina coming from URI to Georgia to get a better shot at the NFL.

From the list of the teams he has after him, they really aren't all that much better than us anyway.

Next year, with Rese, and everyone back, with some more help of course, we could easily find ourselves, as good as, or better than at least half of those teams.

Those teams are A LOT better than us.

I don’t know why we continue thinking we’re this great team / program.

We’re an above average team in a slightly above average conference in a no where town in the smallest state in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago DC, believe it or not, I hope Cox crushes it on the recruiting trail here in the next few weeks.

It's just alarming to me that we're hearing NOTHING lately and other programs are signing guys left and right.

I know the staff is working and doesn't reveal much, but ANY good news would be nice!

Commits are coming. I think people will breathe a sigh of relief once the dust settles. Right now, we are all just inhaling the debris.
Any timeline of when those commits are going to be announced my mind is about to explode on how next year we Might be fighting to stay out of the bottom of the A10
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This COVID thing has fucked everything up. No face to face communication, visits, or anything really hurts.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago This COVID thing has fucked everything up. No face to face communication, visits, or anything really hurts.
I think not having a proper end to the season might be a bigger factor than we realize.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The thing is, I’ve only seen THREE transfers mentioned with us.

Gage and the twins. Nothing else.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I really really hope you're right DC. We can only go up from here after a bunch of bad news. Let's go Cox!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago This COVID thing has fucked everything up. No face to face communication, visits, or anything really hurts.
I think not having a proper end to the season might be a bigger factor than we realize.
Every program is in the same boat
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Really? So it has stopped all these players from committing to other schools. Even Iona, who hired Pitino two weeks ago has 2 commitments. Stop being like the Ryan Center and blaming everything on COVID-19.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago The other thing is, I dont think it matters that much to NBA scouts whether you play in the A-10 or ACC. The gap isnt that significant. You dont see back ups on ACC teams make it into the NBA.

In terms of the NBA I agree with you that it doesn’t matter what conference they play in. These scouts could find someone in East Dakota if they were worthy to play in the league. It comes down to how high a level these guys want to play at in Division 1. The NBA will find them, but the big market televised games might not in Kingston
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Not really, some schools had finished their conference tournaments already.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

A good portion of them haven’t and have been signing recruits and getting transfers. This is a weak excuse to make. Everyone is in the same situation from recruiting. You think East Tennessee State because they won their tournament has an advantage. The rug was pulled out on everyone without notice
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah I think the heart break and sudden end to the season coupled with the emotions of losing the last few games before the end of the season hurt. Definitely didnt help. Tyrese foot speed laterally on the defensive end needs to improve at the next level and competitive fire. Dont see him averaging nearly the minutes he did at uri at a power 5.

He is a huge loss would have been a star next two years for rhody. Gut wrenching. Hope he is making the right decision and doesnt regret it at the end of the day. The lure of the power 5 to some kids is too much to pass up.

First of the transfers that has had me shocked and concerned. Definitely not a good situation and a trend that needs to change.

Only thing you can do is get back up and put your head down and regroup from this as a program. How this staff responds to this adversity will be the most telling. Still holding out hope these guys we have been connected to start committing sooner rather then later. Adding the right collection of transfers and the returning players would allow for alot of us to forget this and breath a sigh of relief. But definitely is a tough situation for program coach and all involved.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

A good portion of them haven’t and have been signing recruits and getting transfers. This is a weak excuse to make. Everyone is in the same situation from recruiting. You think East Tennessee State because they won their tournament has an advantage. The rug was pulled out on everyone without notice
I can see how showing up for your conference tournament and having it cancelled before your first game and then shortly after heading back to campus being sent home for the rest of the semester would make things a little bit different...not exactly a bonding experience. I'd much rather have been able to play the tournament such as USC and UCLA. I do not think that I'm making excuses for anyone because I am now of the mind that the coaching staff has to prove in the near term that they can adapt to the current environment. It's a challenge that they need to overcome.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I can see how showing up for your conference tournament and having it cancelled before your first game and then shortly after heading back to campus being sent home for the rest of the semester would make things a little bit different...not exactly a bonding experience. I'd much rather have been able to play the tournament such as USC and UCLA. I do not think that I'm making excuses for anyone because I am now of the mind that the coaching staff has to prove in the near term that they can adapt to the current environment. It's a challenge that they need to overcome.
USC and UCLA didn’t play any PAC 12 tournament games.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

I guess that I should pay more attention when I am jumping between games. Lucky for me I was not obnoxious in my response...lol.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I guess that I should pay more attention when I am jumping between games. Lucky for me I was not obnoxious in my response...lol.
I know what you meant. Just giving you a hard time because I’m in an awful mood with where this team is right now and also where college basketball is. Why invest our time on the recruits when they all leave anyway if they are good like Martin
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Really? So it has stopped all these players from committing to other schools. Even Iona, who hired Pitino two weeks ago has 2 commitments. Stop being like the Ryan Center and blaming everything on COVID-19.
Why do I even bother responding. If my responses don’t fit your sentiments, it becomes pointless in communicating. Cox requires more face time with kids than other NAME
coaches do. It is what it is...or that’s what I believe. Period.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

DC then Cox wont be getting any players until at least June because there wont be any face time until at least then.

Believe me I wish we weren't having these conversations but we are because obviously something isnt right in Kingston.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

If we lose any more to transfer Cox can do his best Oprah impression while recruiting ...You get 30 minutes, you get 30 minutes....you all get 30 minutes!!!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Ouch! A favorite player departs. I think TYrese and I had a similar view of the future of this program.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I keep thinking back to conversations I had with my daughters two years ago, when they called me from school after Hurley took the UCONN job. They must have been checking social media and were telling me the returning players and recruits would only remain in the program if Cox was hired. Not knowing anything about his prospects as a head coach, I did tell them that, while it would stink if all four recruits left, you can’t make a hiring decision based on the whims of 18 year olds. I hope that’s not what Thor did. I understand there are mitigating circumstances with Tate, but now Harris is the only one in the program from the original four, and Adams left right away anyway.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This news was really unexpected and after reading all the posts my thoughts are that Tyrese is just looking out for himself and making the move he thinks will help his future

We just have to hope with all these open spots that we can get some quality players in here to make the team competitive.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I keep thinking back to conversations I had with my daughters two years ago, when they called me from school after Hurley took the UCONN job. They must have been checking social media and were telling me the returning players and recruits would only remain in the program if Cox was hired. Not knowing anything about his prospects as a head coach, I did tell them that, while it would stink if all four recruits left, you can’t make a hiring decision based on the whims of 18 year olds. I hope that’s not what Thor did. I understand there are mitigating circumstances with Tate, but now Harris is the only one in the program from the original four, and Adams left right away anyway.
Said it at the time that not having a legit, national search to build off the momentum URI had just to keep a few recruits in the fold never, ever works. But, people keep on doing it. URI had some good stuff going and, of every coach in the country, the one who was the best choice just happened to be two feet away on the bench?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I keep thinking back to conversations I had with my daughters two years ago, when they called me from school after Hurley took the UCONN job. They must have been checking social media and were telling me the returning players and recruits would only remain in the program if Cox was hired. Not knowing anything about his prospects as a head coach, I did tell them that, while it would stink if all four recruits left, you can’t make a hiring decision based on the whims of 18 year olds. I hope that’s not what Thor did. I understand there are mitigating circumstances with Tate, but now Harris is the only one in the program from the original four, and Adams left right away anyway.
Said it at the time that not having a legit, national search to build off the momentum URI had just to keep a few recruits in the fold never, ever works. But, people keep on doing it. URI had some good stuff going and, of every coach in the country, the one who was the best choice just happened to be two feet away on the bench?
I hope this doesn’t become another Jerry D like situation. I’m not saying it’s that bad and I’m not advocating firing Cox right now, but even if there was a big name coach available who is looking to rehabilitate his image, we wouldn’t move on this and pay two coaches for three years.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

We’re an above average team in a slightly above average conference in a no where town in the smallest state in America.
This guy is obviously a troll
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Gonebarongone wrote: 4 years ago
I was actually with GBG on this one back then two years ago. The Cox decision was not my decision. However, when the majority ruled and got Cox, I threw all of my backing behind him. The irony being, I argued hard against Cox, but once he became coach, I think I am willing to give him way more time to do his thing than the average person these days.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m pretty disgusted with the entire situation. Too much negative stuff going on with the program. Tough to continue to be a fan under these circumstances.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago

This guy is obviously a troll
I’ll give you Temple Georgia and Ole Miss, but besides those three, I’d say no.
Attachments
693BB68B-EBF5-4C3B-B34C-7737DB71725F.jpeg
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

On and upwards though, done with Tyrese.
0 x
Go Rhody
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

As I think about the kids that have left the program early, only Long and Martin are a shock. Shock, not a surprise. There was no way anyone was going to make Hammond and his corner happy; Mading and Tate had their issues; and with Brendan Adams it looks like we dodged a bullet (I watched every televised UConn game and “meh” is all I have). Long’s decision puzzles me unless he saw the writing on the wall with the class coming in, along with the snipers on the bench and clearly Martin has visions of grandeur elsewhere. (Based upon timing, I would say there was some tampering too).

So what’s next? My thoughts:

Immediately, Cox, TJ and Sutton need help in the form of a Big’s coach. We had ARD working with Hass, Andre Berry and Iverson, and we are missing that now. Harris is promising and showed flashes of it this year. Needs help with footwork and softening his hands. No way would I give up on him and his potential - it needs to be nurtured.

Continue to work on Tres Berry (I have good vibes about Tres) and the Mitchells. Tres fits into the puzzle perfectly and with the addition of a Big’s coach, the athleticism of both Mitchells is there. Walker working with a Big’s coach and another summer in the system raises his game too! If he makes half the silly decisions next year as he did this year, he’s golden.

If DJ can add 15-20 pounds between now and November makes his a formidable match up. Having watched him in practice and at warm ups - he has a shot and is quick off the dribble.

We were projected to finish between 7th and 9th this season in the A-10 and I would say we did a bit better than that. Some of the games we lost we should not have, and gotta wonder whether we had our Bigs coached up, whether that would have been the difference. Nonetheless here we are, and starting at 0-0 in November. Hopefully we can make the necessary changes to surprise even more people next year. DH
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago As I think about the kids that have left the program early, only Long and Martin are a shock. Shock, not a surprise. There was no way anyone was going to make Hammond and his corner happy; Mading and Tate had their issues; and with Brendan Adams it looks like we dodged a bullet (I watched every televised UConn game and “meh” is all I have). Long’s decision puzzles me unless he saw the writing on the wall with the class coming in, along with the snipers on the bench and clearly Martin has visions of grandeur elsewhere. (Based upon timing, I would say there was some tampering too).

Immediately, Cox, TJ and Sutton need help in the form of a Big’s coach. We had ARD working with Hass, Andre Berry and Iverson, and we are missing that now. Harris is promising and showed flashes of it this year. Needs help with footwork and softening his hands. No way would I give up on him and his potential - it needs to be nurtured.

Continue to work on Tres Berry (I have good vibes about Tres) and the Mitchells. Tres fits into the puzzle perfectly and with the addition of a Big’s coach, the athleticism of both Mitchells is there. Walker working with a Big’s coach and another summer in the system raises his game too! If he makes half the silly decisions next year as he did this year, he’s golden.

If DJ can add 15-20 pounds between now and November makes his a formidable match up. Having watched him in practice and at warm ups - he has a shot and is quick off the dribble.

We were projected to finish between 7th and 9th this season in the A-10 and I would say we did a bit better than that. Some of the games we lost we should not have, and gotta wonder whether we had our Bigs coached up, whether that would have been the difference. Nonetheless here we are, and starting at 0-0 in November. Hopefully we can make the necessary changes to surprise even more people next year. DH
We were projected to finish 4th.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago As I think about the kids that have left the program early, only Long and Martin are a shock. Shock, not a surprise. There was no way anyone was going to make Hammond and his corner happy; Mading and Tate had their issues; and with Brendan Adams it looks like we dodged a bullet (I watched every televised UConn game and “meh” is all I have). Long’s decision puzzles me unless he saw the writing on the wall with the class coming in, along with the snipers on the bench and clearly Martin has visions of grandeur elsewhere. (Based upon timing, I would say there was some tampering too).

Nice that you follow the program. lol. Thanks for joining in. Finish 7th-9th. GTHOH.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I find it amazing that he has heard from so many schools the day he enters the portal. Thats B S.... There is definitely tampering going on and the NCAA could care less.. Starting to get the who cares about college sports like I now have for pro sports.. and I have always been a sports junkie..
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago I find it amazing that he has heard from so many schools the day he enters the portal. Thats B S.... There is definitely tampering going on and the NCAA could care less.. Starting to get the who cares about college sports like I now have for pro sports.. and I have always been a sports junkie..
I said the same thing.

If Louisville wants him, that’s where he will go.
0 x
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Actually when he announces, the school has two days to put him into the portal per NCAA rules. So his announcement today could predate the entrance into the portal which makes timing concerning.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Me 20 minutes ago: I’m done caring about 17-22 year olds looking for attention
Me now: Hey Tres Berry would love to have you in a Rhody uniform!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

I know you pride yourself on berating college kids on social media. Now that a lot of us are working remotely maybe you can also do some personal reflection on how to act like an adult man and to not be a complete jerk. No one else here acts like this

Hopefully now I won't have to see you complain about people anymore since now with Rese transferring you will have less ammo. You don't even know where he's ending up, it might surprise you. Have a good day! :lol:

Honestly please just shut the hell up for once.
Why should Taylor Swift shut the hell up? It's a message board and she's entitled to her opinion and voice, as are you. If you can't take her criticism, perhaps that says more about her than it does about you.
The guy is a complete loser. I’ve actually never been told to shut up before and it’s coming form a complete nobody. Show’s you what he’s all about.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago I find it amazing that he has heard from so many schools the day he enters the portal. Thats B S.... There is definitely tampering going on and the NCAA could care less.. Starting to get the who cares about college sports like I now have for pro sports.. and I have always been a sports junkie..
I said the same thing.

If Louisville wants him, that’s where he will go.

Do we honestly see him succeeding in the ACC?

Not that our opinion matters at all, but wouldn’t he be like the 4th option on a perennial Top 7-15 program in America?
0 x
Go Rhody
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Nice that you follow the program. lol. Thanks for joining in. Finish 7th-9th. GTHOH.
Yes I did have the wrong years. Ken Pom had us as low as 6 preseason and most had 4, indeed. Apologies.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

So this is why people get pissed off on this Board. This guy/gal writes out a thoughtful post and some other know it all jumps down his/her throat and throws out insults because of one thing that they may have misstated.

Nice people here...kind of glad we all are for the same team...can only imagine if we were for competing teams.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Well, it doesn't sound like we are considering this departure an opportunity for roster improvement.

It's almost to the point where we should stop recruiting HS players and go the Musselmann route of transfers only. If the new rules kick in they only get one transfer.

IMO this is why you need to find a way to somehow keep the kids that play important roles (the Longs and Tates and Hammonds). I know it's not easy but the Coach is right about "re-recruitment".

We will need more than just beer in the seats next year.

No wonder they were hitting us up for season ticket renewals a few weeks ago.
0 x