The David Cox Era

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The David Cox Era

Unread post by RamStock »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago There is no question that Cox has done some good things and should be given more of a chance. These 4 open spots are very important as we don’t have even a top 5 A-10 team at this point. Can that change? Yes, but these next 4 spots including big men and shooters are a must. The one thing I do know is that we will find out over the next three years because the way URI operates unless we go 5-25 David Cox will be here the full five years. URI is too cheap and doesn’t have the money to fire a coach unless it is on Jerry D level which I don’t expect. I hope we land Berry, a shooter, a center and less realistic being Odisupe. Getting both Berry, Odisupe and most important a 3 point shooter would help turn the hopes around. We will see.
I don’t think that’s correct. He gets next year and most likely the year after. I could see them making a change if we don’t dance in 4 years. When have we had a coach actually coach out his contract and part ways?
Do you think URI is going to cover the 5th year? I’m not saying you aren’t correct in what should happen if we fall back, the way URI is operating is on a very fragile tight budget. I agree that no matter what he will get the fourth year which he should, but unless it is a disaster they will not be willing to eat the money. Hopefully we don’t get to that point.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

4 weeks ago we were in the NCAAT or on the bubble. Now according to Rambone we are on the verge of irrelevance. The sky is falling.
3 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Unless he pushes for an extension. Coaches cant recruit without certainty of a contract as other schools will use it against him
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago I’d question if Russell took huge steps, he is certainly capable of huge games like West Virginia, but in the crucial last 7 games when we went from NCAA lock to outside looking in Russell struggled as teams adjusted to him. Opposing coaches adjusted to Russell driving the lane. 30% FG shooting is low, especially when said player takes the most shots of anyone on the team.

For URI's last 7 Games - Russells Performance:
We lost 4 of our last 7 games
  • 35.7 minutes per game
  • 30-100 FG for 30%
  • 11-38 3P for 28.9%
  • 26-36 FT for 72.2%
  • 13.9 Points per Game
...too lazy to look, but...did anyone on the team put up 'better' stats over those last 7 games? (first guess is 'nay')
Per your request 208
And your first guess is wrong, in fact every other player had a better FG% than Russell.

Russell’s 30% FG% was the lowest of the 8 players.
Russell took the most shots with 100 hitting only 30
Walker highest FG% at 48%

Dowtin hit a team high 41% 3P but took 27 while Russell took 38 and Martin 37
Why not have Dowtin shoot the most 3Ps? Rocket surgeons thoughts?
Toppin only 2-12 on 3Ps for 17%

Harris led the team FT 80%
Martin and Langevine 54% FTs
Long only 46% FTs

Langevine was a beast in his 6 games with 10.8rpg (he sat out 1 game injured)
Martin a strong 8.4rpg

Assists were generally lacking
Russell only 3.3apg, Dowtin only 2.7
Surprising was Martin only had 2 assists in 7 games ???
Langevine was 3rd with 1.5apg

We were simply a poor passing team this season

C79E7C4B-8927-4191-B9F4-D8B39CBC324A.png
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago 4 weeks ago we were in the NCAAT or on the bubble. Now according to Rambone we are on the verge of irrelevance. The sky is falling.
Haha doombone strikes again!

we're not on the verge of irrelevance, but roster management is an issue, without a doubt it hurt us this year. Coach did his best to mitigate, but too much pressure and wear and tear on the remaining players takes its tolls.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

for sure I still see the strengths in Cox's coaching abilities and think we should be patient with him, I still see him as a smart, high quality HC and believe he will learn and adapt.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago for sure I still see the strengths in Cox's coaching abilities and think we should be patient with him, I still see him as a smart, high quality HC and believe he will learn and adapt.
How patient though? If we don’t dance next year, we’re heading dangerously close to the path we were on before Hurley.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago 4 weeks ago we were in the NCAAT or on the bubble. Now according to Rambone we are on the verge of irrelevance. The sky is falling.

we're not on the verge of irrelevance, but roster management is an issue, without a doubt it hurt us this year. Coach did his best to mitigate, but too much pressure and wear and tear on the remaining players takes its tolls.
Unfortunately because we refuse to adequately invest in the infrastructure around our program - we are always on the verge of irrelevance.

We always will be no matter our coach, until that changes.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago

Unfortunately because we refuse to adequately invest in the infrastructure around our program - we are always on the verge of irrelevance.

We always will be no matter our coach, until that changes.
What does it take to get that to change?

Would it take a sweet 16 run?
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Someone other than Tom Ryan, that has his kind of money, makes the same financial commitment he has made.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so then maybe we are doomed.......irrelevant until a lightning in a bottle group of players and coach comes along.......yessch, hate the thought that is our place......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......so then maybe we are doomed.......irrelevant until a lightning in a bottle group of players and coach comes along.......yessch, hate the thought that is our place......
It took an elite 8, a URI grad governor, who loved baksetball, and a big time donor to get the Ryan Center. Minor improvements since then but nothing major. 3 coaches later and nice 5 year run and nothing else has improved.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Maybe we start a go fund me? :lol: :cry: :cry:
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Cox will be here for the full 5 years

I don’t think we will drop off to be too much worse than a .500 season and that won’t warrant a change

Now if we have a season like 9-21 then they may make a change ??
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

2 more years if we crater....URI isn't on the hook for big money if they were to let Cox go with one year left on his contract.

Sure don't think Thorr and Dooley are going to offer any extension at this point.

A month ago they probably would have....but things have changed a bit lol.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 4 years ago I think Cox will be here for the full 5 years

I don’t think we will drop off to be too much worse than a .500 season and that won’t warrant a change

Now if we have a season like 9-21 then they may make a change ??
A .500 season should warrant a coach change. That is for sure. We tailspin next year and Cox is on the hot seat. No doubt about it.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago for sure I still see the strengths in Cox's coaching abilities and think we should be patient with him, I still see him as a smart, high quality HC and believe he will learn and adapt.

I think the jury is out on Cox, but one could make the case that his running of the program is sub-par. I think that the first thing you need to look at is the coaching staff that the coach puts together. Is there any evidence that the coaching staff can recruit and retain players? How about player development? how about game prep and scouting?

Certainly not blaming TJ since he is so new and really not sure what Sutton's role and responsibilities are BUT

Someone please tell me what Dad and Son bring to the table?
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pretty simple short answer to me.

The open scholarships must be filled with quality talent. Hopefully one or 2 players that can pass out of the high post and one or 2 players that can knock down close to 50% of their long and/or midrange shots.

Transfers appear to be the pathway forward right now.

Just get it done, no excuses.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Think Shaka will be available after next year? This is trending down faaast...
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Think Shaka will be available after next year? This is trending down faaast...
Maybe we can trade Tyrese and Cox to Texas for Shaka and a player to be named later...
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If Fatts is the problem then he needs to go.

However I have no evidence that he is, just speculation.

I don't want to blame Cox or the staff. If they or one of them is the problem, that will be harder to fix.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

So Fatts is going to test NBA waters. What if he gets a pro contract overseas? That leaves us with this 5 months before the start of school:

G: Sheppard
G: Leggett?
G/F: Toppin
F: Harris
F: Walker

Bench: Wood

*checks limit on NCAA roster*
*double-checks URI roster*
*puts plastic bag on head*
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

There is something definitely rotten at Rhody. This kind of turnover is ridiculous!!! I’ve been a diehard fan for a LONG time, but with roster turnover like this, I will not be emotionally invested in something that is this inconsistent and obviously broken. This me me me generation will destroy college athletics and I will move on to other ways to enjoy a few hours a week. Just like Tyrese said at the end if his post....Mongo out ✌🏼
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago So Fatts is going to test NBA waters. What if he gets a pro contract overseas? That leaves us with this 5 months before the start of school:

G: Sheppard
G: Leggett?
G/F: Toppin
F: Harris
F: Walker

Bench: Wood

*checks limit on NCAA roster*
*double-checks URI roster*
*puts plastic bag on head*
You forgot Johnson. He hasn't transferred yet.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cox officially on hot seat.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

STC wrote: 4 years ago Cox officially on hot seat.
Absolutely. I am a big fan of Cox, but he needs to come out of this with players. I actually think if the transfer rule does come through, he will be in good position to pick guys off the P5 clubs that aren’t playing so there won’t be a huge drop off in talent.

I feel like Dayton went through something a little similar when Grant was hired and UD fans weren’t happy, but maybe I am misremembering.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

After reading through the Malik Martin & Hassan Martin interview. It's nice to finally hear from a former player & Rhody great about how they feel about our current coach. In a time when people are transferring out of the program, it's nice to hear from someone who knows what it takes to be humble, grind, develop, win, & be a champion that we have a Coach who's pretty damn good at developing great players.

"Coach Cox also told me that he was going to really develop me. I spoke to Hass and he told me that Coach Cox developed a lot of players during his time there." - Malik Martin
4 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

........yeah sure, why not......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

section(105) wrote: 3 years ago ........yeah sure, why not......?
Great plan - if you want to ruin your coaching career before it even really gets rolling. I fully expect coach cox will be successful and have opportunities to move on. Penn State is a dead end.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

IMO if Maryland or Georgetown came calling Cox couldn’t resist...

Otherwise just pay the man and upgrade our program as he’s requested.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Believe me: Maryland is not calling Cox at this point in his career!
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 years ago IMO if Maryland or Georgetown came calling Cox couldn’t resist...

Otherwise just pay the man and upgrade our program as he’s requested.
Cox isn’t in a position to move up yet. If we make the tournament, and especially win a game or two, then there would be interest in him next year.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If Cox has another good season, URI better ante up
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

When you are successful, your value goes up. Just the way of the world.

Cox has all his ducks in a row, he has the tools to be successful, he has the groceries. Now let's see how the season goes. It's shaping up to be an exciting one. Looks like we're going to have to invest in some good tv packages though.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup I think if we dance then the P5 could come calling stuff we always deal with when we are good
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Georgetown going in the wrong direction too.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

It's probably best to move the discussion here...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t think Ewing is going anywhere just yet and I don’t think we will dance this year. I see Cox here at least through year 5 which is a great thing
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Cox will get extended and the administration will show him support and confidence because they understand that is needed to grow the program and to keep getting quality recruits. They will allow him the opportunity to stay here with this group that he brought in for their duration on the team, to see what they achieve. That will happen regardless of what all the naysayers here think. This will not by any means go as far as the Baron era went without any results, besides Cox is already ahead of him because he knows how to build a roster and recruit.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Anybody know who decided to not use an acceptable amount of the NCAA money we earned on basketball?

What are they thinking? They just being cheap?
0 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Insane to see so many here satisfied with mediocre results. He needs to make the tourney next year or we need to move on. Let’s not wait a decade, again.
3 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Also, the flip side of my last post. If he makes the tourney we need to pay up. No excuses.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Also, the flip side of my last post. If he makes the tourney we need to pay up. No excuses.
...do you buy high and sell low? This is a losing strategy,
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

In the WK thread, I said that Cox needs to take this talent to the Dance by next season.

If not, he should be done. Will he meet the expectations for this program?

I would not extend him at this point.

He has proved he can recruit, for sure.

But he hasn't proved he can win, not yet.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Insane to see so many here satisfied with mediocre results. He needs to make the tourney next year or we need to move on. Let’s not wait a decade, again.
We are not satisfied with mediocrity, but it probably won't happen that way. If you wait till going into the last year of a contract, the staff will jump ship if given the opportunity. They are looking for some sense of security and assurances from the top level. That would also hurt our recruiting efforts, the kids will go where they are comfortable with the coaches, not where that staff may be gone in a year. All the schools that we will be recruiting against will use it as a tool to gain an advantage. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a 2 year extension after this year, or if they already have an agreement in place. Remember staffs don't necessarily survive the length of their contracts, most cases not.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Next year will be year 4 of a 5 year deal.

I know some here say extend him at least another year, at least for recruiting purposes.

If so, here we go down the rabbit hole.

I say hold off until after next season. Cox will still have another year on the deal, and not many holes to fill recruiting, at least for the following season.

We should know by then if Cox is the right man for the job long term.

If he can't get us to the tourney, why prolong the agony? If we have to start over, so be it.

The longer we wait, the longer it will take.........

Cox has to step up his game from the bench and stop the excuses. He's got time, but not forever.
Last edited by rambone 78 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Also, the flip side of my last post. If he makes the tourney we need to pay up. No excuses.
...do you buy high and sell low? This is a losing strategy,
College basketball is not investing in the stock market.

You don’t wait for “value” or you lose the guy. See Hurley, Dan.

If Cox pulls us out of this and makes it you extend him and invest in the program properly. Period.

If results don’t show you can’t continue to wait either.

The original contract is a fair barometer, with Covid its fair to give a little more leeway. 5 years without a tournament should be the limit. Especially when it wasn’t a rebuild.
Last edited by Blue Man 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL