Tyrese Martin (URI ---> UConn)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Tyrese Martin

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This is unbelievable.

So now when we get a player who plays well and shows potential, he will leave after a year or two?

Feeder system for the P5's no doubt. My guess is, Tyrese and family were being contacted by P5's using backchannels, to avoid tampering.

Guys are obviously anticipating that the no sit out rule will pass.

I don't know if it's about Fatts….I think he's gone too if new rule passes.

And WHY are we along with Wichita State the only 2 schools that are having players leave in droves? Whatever the issue is with Cox, you have to feel bad for him.

The days of mid majors signing high ranking 4 year players is over.

The transfer route will be the ONLY way to go. After having transferred once, they can't anymore.

Imo either or both Fatts or Jacob will also leave. Losing Toppin will be the final straw for me. Hopefully Obie convinces him to stay here.

What if Leggett is as good as advertised? Will he leave after a year?

Also, maybe there's a reason none of our top targets have committed to us? And this is it?
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago This is emblematic of the millennial generation. Martin is just another entitled, self-absorbed kid who has no sense of team, no sense of commitment, wants everything handed to him on a silver platter. I'm sure many will disagree with my negative take, but that's okay. We'll all entitled to our opinion. Good riddance, Martin. I won't be rooting for you.
Again, losing Fatts or Toppin would be panic for me. I certainly wont miss all the ill-advised 3 pt shots Martin took or his general disinterested and lackluster stretches of play. Still concerning this is all happening under Cox but again its an opportunity to bring in upgraded talent. Players transferring from URI are not landing roster spots in the P5.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

1. Retitle thread
2. This is further example why URI does not invest more $$$ into program
3. Save a seat for me on the negativity train I’m jumping off the optimist bus...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

I know! As much as it would hurt our W/L I wouldn’t be too sad if Fatts left this year also and we could get a good PG transfer to help bridge us over for a year or 2.
Cmon. No good transfers are coming to URI. We aren’t going to be able to fill six spots or find anyone who will contribute as much as Fatts. We would bring in someone that couldn’t contribute at another school and had to drop down a level. Wins or loses don’t matter for next year as we aren’t going to the tournament, but we aren’t going to be able to fill six spots if he leaves. I have never seen anything like this. Maybe Cox should get on the phone to the remaining few players today.
I understand the challenge of recruiting 6 new players but the spiral started when these 2 things happened:
1) Cox became the head coach
2) Cox gave the team reigns to Fatts

I know Fatts can be a very good player at times but it must be so draining to play on a team with a guy like that. I said I wouldn’t be too sad if he left, not that I want him to leave.
I hear what you are saying with Fatts and this point I really don’t care if he stays or goes. I just think whoever we get in as a transfer is going to be a below average player that isn’t up to Fatts level. Teams get transfers or commitments every day. URI, not so much. We lose players we recruited everyday. Too bad it wasn’t the nba where we could tank and get a high draft pick.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago This is where missing out on NCAA tournament really hurts. Would have been so much different scenario to today.
URI missing the tournament or the tournament being cancelled? Every team missed the tournament.

I think this is $$$ related. Lets see where he ends up. I feel like URI got out-bid. The FBI coming down hard and schools basically coming away unscathed seems to have emboldened them. Will Wade is on record touting the cash. Now if kids can transfer for basically a signing bonus, they likely will do it.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if Martin doesn't get any P5 offers, that will tell us the problem here is internal. Either Cox or the staff or both.

However, I think he's good enough that he will land at a P5 somewhere...unlike the others.

Blue Man is also right. Invest more in the program, or be doomed to mediocrity. The train is passing us by.

Of course what's happening right now in the world isn't helping...at all.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

My honest opinion, is that there is a group of kids who don't care about college success. They want the best path to the $ (professional career).
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Cmon. No good transfers are coming to URI. We aren’t going to be able to fill six spots or find anyone who will contribute as much as Fatts. We would bring in someone that couldn’t contribute at another school and had to drop down a level. Wins or loses don’t matter for next year as we aren’t going to the tournament, but we aren’t going to be able to fill six spots if he leaves. I have never seen anything like this. Maybe Cox should get on the phone to the remaining few players today.
I understand the challenge of recruiting 6 new players but the spiral started when these 2 things happened:
1) Cox became the head coach
2) Cox gave the team reigns to Fatts

I know Fatts can be a very good player at times but it must be so draining to play on a team with a guy like that. I said I wouldn’t be too sad if he left, not that I want him to leave.
I hear what you are saying with Fatts and this point I really don’t care if he stays or goes. I just think whoever we get in as a transfer is going to be a below average player that isn’t up to Fatts level. Teams get transfers or commitments every day. URI, not so much. We lose players we recruited everyday. Too bad it wasn’t the nba where we could tank and get a high draft pick.
Agree with you. Finding someone of Fatts caliber at this point is highly unlikely. My concern is that if Fatts is indeed part of the reason for some of these transfers, another year of him could lead to more transfers ( Harris, Leggett, Toppin)...
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

0 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago This is emblematic of the millennial generation. Martin is just another entitled, self-absorbed kid who has no sense of team, no sense of commitment, wants everything handed to him on a silver platter. I'm sure many will disagree with my negative take, but that's okay. We'll all entitled to our opinion. Good riddance, Martin. I won't be rooting for you.
Responses like this also tend to sound pretty entitled and self-absorbed. And they are coming from adults! Also Tyrese is Gen Z for the record.
Valid point regarding his generational status, but I still stand by what I said. You don't find these actions to be selfish? Pompous? I'd be curious to hear your take. Whatever happened to honoring your commitments? I understand this is the new direction for modern college basketball, but there are still some kids out there who understand the importance of teamwork and stepping up as a leader when the situation may not be ideal. Then you have kids who flee for greener pastures, not caring about the ramifications it may have on fellow teammates and coaches who have supported them.

It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, and I'm not certainly not absolving Cox and the coaching staff of any blame here, but this is mostly on the player. Sounds like Martin has been convinced he's better off elsewhere. We will see. But I certainly won't be cheering him on.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Which rosters? Look at what's happening now as a "result" of this change:

A10 Teams With 3 Transfers:
URI
UMass

A10 Teams With 2 Transfers:
GW

A10 Teams With 1 Transfer:
Duquesne
George Mason
St Joes
Bonnies

A10 Teams With 0 Transfers
Dayton
Davidson
Fordham
La Salle
St Louis
VCU

Also -

UConn - 1
PC - 0

Now before someone mentions Wichita State's transfer issues to compare them to ours:

1) don't.

Their coach brought them to 7 straight NCAA tournaments, 5 as at large births. Marshall brought them to a final four 7 years ago. Sweet 16 5 years ago, and won a game 3 years ago. They were on the bubble similar to URI this year. I think you can point to this new transfer rule as an issue for them since there's been an established program under him.

All we've seen so far under this new staff is transfers. Enough transfers and pre-graduation departures to fill up an entire (still active) basketball roster. A team with Martin, Tate, and Long could probably win some A-10 games. If the Fatts rumors wind up being substantiated (I thought it was internet bullshit but now I'm REALLLLLLY starting to wonder) - we have crossed into full blown pandemic level disaster.

At some point this is on the coach. Whatever the "reason" is - "handlers" "administration" "bad luck" etc...it's becoming a trend.

Now we're getting into Cox's "guys" that he brought in himself. Not sure if this is on recruiting, or coaching - but if you can't keep the guys you recruited together - what's the point? What was the point of recruiting - Silverio, Hammond, Mading, Tate, Long, etc if you couldn't follow through on what you promised them, couldn't gauge their talent, didn't know who they had around them, etc...

Putting the blame all on the players sounds really familiar - but I'm used to it coming from a mouth with a very large mustache.
Why not compare to Wichita?
So if my question is so absurd, just don't answer....Don't waste the space reposting.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago
Bigger fish will come.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

No one gives a crap about your reasoning anymore. The team is a mess. Can’t wait for the spin when we sign some average player who you hype up. Don’t worry Cox will get his 5 years. Program has no cash not to keep him
I agree with DCs reasoning...I think he was promised bright lights...now more than ever I hope the NCAA rethinks the no sit out rule. Look what it is doing right now to rosters everywhere.

URI
UMass

A10 Teams With 2 Transfers:
GW

A10 Teams With 1 Transfer:
Duquesne
George Mason
St Joes
Bonnies

A10 Teams With 0 Transfers
Dayton
Davidson
Fordham
La Salle
St Louis
VCU

Also -

UConn - 1
PC - 0

Now before someone mentions Wichita State's transfer issues to compare them to ours:

1) don't.

Their coach brought them to 7 straight NCAA tournaments, 5 as at large births. Marshall brought them to a final four 7 years ago. Sweet 16 5 years ago, and won a game 3 years ago. They were on the bubble similar to URI this year. I think you can point to this new transfer rule as an issue for them since there's been an established program under him.

All we've seen so far under this new staff is transfers. Enough transfers and pre-graduation departures to fill up an entire (still active) basketball roster. A team with Martin, Tate, and Long could probably win some A-10 games. If the Fatts rumors wind up being substantiated (I thought it was internet bullshit but now I'm REALLLLLLY starting to wonder) - we have crossed into full blown pandemic level disaster.

At some point this is on the coach. Whatever the "reason" is - "handlers" "administration" "bad luck" etc...it's becoming a trend.

Now we're getting into Cox's "guys" that he brought in himself. Not sure if this is on recruiting, or coaching - but if you can't keep the guys you recruited together - what's the point? What was the point of recruiting - Silverio, Hammond, Mading, Tate, Long, etc if you couldn't follow through on what you promised them, couldn't gauge their talent, didn't know who they had around them, etc...

Putting the blame all on the players sounds really familiar - but I'm used to it coming from a mouth with a very large mustache.
LaSalle lost Croswell to PC
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So if my question is so absurd, just don't answer....Don't waste the space reposting.
He just bolded his response to answer your question.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I thought I answered it in the original post so I put the section that answered your question in bold in the 2nd post. Here it is removed from the post, also in bold:

0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think there are different reasons for all our players to transfer. The guys that go lower are looking for more opportunity. But Martin who jacked up almost 5 3balls a game? He is in a different pool of players. It's definitely not a practice facility or more shots he's looking for. Come on.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago
Bigger fish will come.
POACHED!
1 x
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Martin got size, he can shoot, rebound, create space. Defend different positions. This is about going to a school with a bigger stage. The top A-10 schools need to break away. No better opportunity than now with Dayton coming off of a great season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Go get Alan Griffin and you have an upgrade over Martin. Friends with Toppin. Likely bound for Duke, but maybe Jacob can throw a lifeline out and communicate the immediate impact he'd have on the program.

I didn't think it was a fit yesterday since he's a similar player to Martin, but now...
In my Mazz voice "Yea lets go get a kid who is bound for Duke, he would rather come here. Look what we can offer. He can room with his friend."
haha I didn't say it was realistic! No idea what he's looking for, but we do have more PT, a friend, and...okay yeah I'm not sure what else we have to offer.
Wi-Fi is coming
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

In my Mazz voice "Yea lets go get a kid who is bound for Duke, he would rather come here. Look what we can offer. He can room with his friend."
haha I didn't say it was realistic! No idea what he's looking for, but we do have more PT, a friend, and...okay yeah I'm not sure what else we have to offer.
Wi-Fi is coming
OK...You have now sold me on beer in the seats, if that's what it takes.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ASU!

Lol how special and unsurprising is that?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We really are screwed when it comes to keeping good talent.

Welcome to the present and future.

Question is, so why aren't other A10 programs losing their better players [in multiples] so far?

How much is the staff to blame?
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

No one gives a crap about your reasoning anymore. The team is a mess. Can’t wait for the spin when we sign some average player who you hype up. Don’t worry Cox will get his 5 years. Program has no cash not to keep him
I agree with DCs reasoning...I think he was promised bright lights...now more than ever I hope the NCAA rethinks the no sit out rule. Look what it is doing right now to rosters everywhere.

URI
UMass
Not sure where the three transfers for URI is coming from. It's either two (Long, Martin) or four (Long, Martin, Tate, Hammond) depending on if you're counting mid-season transfers or not.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Wi-Fi is coming
Maybe not- why bother?
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

dont need updated wifi in an empty building
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Sorry not sorry, fuck em
4 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Sorry but I don't see Martin starting or even getting significant minutes at a P5 school. He doesn't have the consistent drive or attitude. Maybe that would change, but from what I've seen I doubt it. Definitely worried about the program. Christ.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
Responses like this also tend to sound pretty entitled and self-absorbed. And they are coming from adults! Also Tyrese is Gen Z for the record.
Valid point regarding his generational status, but I still stand by what I said. You don't find these actions to be selfish? Pompous? I'd be curious to hear your take. Whatever happened to honoring your commitments? I understand this is the new direction for modern college basketball, but there are still some kids out there who understand the importance of teamwork and stepping up as a leader when the situation may not be ideal. Then you have kids who flee for greener pastures, not caring about the ramifications it may have on fellow teammates and coaches who have supported them.

It's a sad situation we find ourselves in, and I'm not certainly not absolving Cox and the coaching staff of any blame here, but this is mostly on the player. Sounds like Martin has been convinced he's better off elsewhere. We will see. But I certainly won't be cheering him on.
I don't really consider it selfish, at least not in the negative way that its being implied. If a player is making a decision that he thinks is best for him and his future then I don't have a problem with that. Tyrese has clearly decided the best path for him to reach his goals is not at URI. He has professional basketball aspirations, whether that be in the US or overseas, so he absolutely should do whatever he thinks is best to reach that goal.

Is it selfish and pompous anytime someone leaves one job for another just for a better title and more money, not caring about the ramifications it may have on fellow co-workers? I don't really see this any differently. He has 4 years to prove that he can be a professional basketball player and earn a living as an adult. It's pretty damn important so a little "selfishness" is understandable. I am much more concerned with why so many players feel that URI isn't the place that can help get them to where they want to be.

But I do find it odd when adults react this way to a guy just trying to do whats best for him and his family's future. It's one thing if you just disagree that leaving URI is his best option to get where he wants to go, but I don't understand calling him things like an "entitled, self-absorbed kid" and "good riddance I won't be rooting for you". To me that is selfish and entitled to think that college kids should do what you think is best rather then what they think is best.
Last edited by adam914 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Possible silver lining is that this move creates over 30 minutes for the 2nd rated Mitchell twin and Toppin to fight over.

Sign the twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This sucks. I am not sure what Tyrese thinks he is going to get that he isn’t here. He got PT, shots, was going to be the guy with Fatts next year. WTF.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago players feel that URI isn't the place that can help get them to where they want to be.
this hurts.

I mean less than two months ago we were riding high! Now it really does seem like players don't want to be here. I love Rhody so it hurts me in my tummy seeing the wheels fall off like this. We need a team of 12 TJ Buchanan's!!
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago This sucks. I am not sure what Tyrese thinks he is going to get that he isn’t here. He got PT, shots, was going to be the guy with Fatts next year. WTF.
+1.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago players feel that URI isn't the place that can help get them to where they want to be.
this hurts.

I mean less than two months ago we were riding high! Now it really does seem like players don't want to be here. I love Rhody so it hurts me in my tummy seeing the wheels fall off like this. We need a team of 12 TJ Buchanan's!!
So, this is where our program is now? Let's say this new transfer rule was in place 4 or 5 years ago? Do you think Jared Terrell, EC Matthews or Hassan Martin, all better players than Tyrese Martin, would have transferred? I say no way. The reason and the difference? The coach.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Next man up.

Problem is, we're running out of men.

Some here who think he's no loss....12 and 7 on this team is a BIG loss.

We have FOUR players left who played this past season. We also don't even know if Sheppard will play for us next season.

DJ is a project. Add 2 recruits so far, maybe one of them will contribute much?

5 openings and counting. Wow.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He’s a big loss. I think he would’ve been the big man on campus next season.

Cox has his work cut out for him. I’m going to continue to have faith in the staff.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He’s a big loss. I think he would’ve been the big man on campus next season.

Cox has his work cut out for him. I’m going to continue to have faith in the staff.
There he is! okay, thank you I needed just the slightest shot of your optimism.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Being real bro! Thanks. We need to pull a rabbit out of the hat, lets see what happens. At least things are interesting.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

I don't really consider it selfish, at least not in the negative way that its being implied. If a player is making a decision that he thinks is best for him and his future then I don't have a problem with that. Tyrese has clearly decided the best path for him to reach his goals is not at URI. He has professional basketball aspirations, whether that be in the US or overseas, so he absolutely should do whatever he thinks is best to reach that goal.

Is it selfish and pompous anytime someone leaves one job for another just for a better title and more money, not caring about the ramifications it may have on fellow co-workers? I don't really see this any differently. He has 4 years to prove that he can be a professional basketball player and earn a living as an adult. It's pretty damn important so a little "selfishness" is understandable. I am much more concerned with why so many players feel that URI isn't the place that can help get them to where they want to be.

But I do find it odd when adults react this way to a guy just trying to do whats best for him and his family's future. It's one thing if you just disagree that leaving URI is his best option to get where he wants to go, but I don't understand calling him things like an "entitled, self-absorbed kid" and "good riddance I won't be rooting for you". To me that is selfish and entitled to think that college kids should do what you think is best rather then what they think is best.
All valid points. I think my biggest issue is the unwillingness to honor a commitment which is where my "selfish" and "entitled" comments are stemming from. In reality he's no different than any other player deciding to transfer, but Martin's situation is more unusual. He would have been the clear #2 next season behind Fatts, he's coming off a great season statistically, he saw more than enough playing time, he never seemed to be penalized for his frequent lackadaisical, disinterested attitude, he was given the ball in plenty of crucial gametime situations, etc. I mean what more could you ask for as a player?? The team and coaching staff were very committed to him, it's a shame that wasn't reciprocated. Oh well, hopefully we can find a decent replacement. And let me reiterate that I will not be rooting for him wherever we may end up :D

"I am much more concerned with why so many players feel that URI isn't the place that can help get them to where they want to be."

The abovementioned comment you made is actually the most alarming to me and probably warrants further discussion.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago He’s a big loss. I think he would’ve been the big man on campus next season.

There he is! okay, thank you I needed just the slightest shot of your optimism.
Thanks man. You are one of the few that are keeping me going. Lol
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I hope this dumb new transfer rule doesnt pass. Screw this era of new CBB. This is getting ridiculous. Program needs to find an identity. Someone needs to take responsibility. This isnt the new norm. We are in trouble.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Fatts is gonna be next, just watch.
0 x
Go Rhody
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts is gonna be next, just watch.
I don't think you're making any sort of grand prediction here. The team is a shell of itself, so would it really surprise anyone if Fatts jumped ship too?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don't think you're making any sort of grand prediction here. The team is a shell of itself, so would it really surprise anyone if Fatts jumped ship too?
It shouldn’t come as a surprise, especially with his two posts within the last couple of weeks.

Tyrese leaving is much much more unexpected than Fatts could/will be.
0 x
Go Rhody
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Looking at that list of schools, here are my thoughts about Tyrese...

He's a physical player and has the body for that style of play (Big East would be a good fit for him for that reason). Athletic and talented enough to fit in that type of system.

However, I always thought at a bigger program that he'd be the ideal first guy off the bench. That's why the move surprises me so much. Because I don't think there is any chance he'll get more of a PLAYING opportunity at any of the schools listed. WINNING or more visibility? Yes. Does Tyrese value winning over playing time? He never struck me as that type or player, but what the hell do I know from my couch? What happens if he goes to Butler or Marquette and gets 17 minutes per game?

Fatts leaving makes way more sense, as his game is much better suited as the #3 or #4 on a really good team. That "microwave" instant offense or energy type guy and great on-ball defender. Most teams could use a guy like him.

This whole thing stinks and is a trickle up effect. As I'm sure the Bradley's, Wright State's and New Mexico State's of the world will be pissed when they start losing their top players to the top A-10, Mountain West and AAC schools. College hoops biggest asset is the interest and excitement it generates from many small markets around the country. The P5 schools bring in the big money but the other conferences having some interest in the sport is what keeps the lights on.

Having 2/3rds of their school base (and more importantly their fans) losing interest because of the inability to put together a consistent winning roster, is incredibly short-sighted. The smaller regional networks and TV contracts will dry up and kill the foundation of the sport.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

At least the WiFi will work now with 2500 people in the building.
2 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DC, believe it or not, I hope Cox crushes it on the recruiting trail here in the next few weeks.

It's just alarming to me that we're hearing NOTHING lately and other programs are signing guys left and right.

I know the staff is working and doesn't reveal much, but ANY good news would be nice!

We've got to hit a couple of homers here!
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah this is old news. I expect Fatts to leave.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago
Yeah this is old news. I expect Fatts to leave.
If this is the case, what would he be waiting for???
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

“After multiple long conversations with the people in my corner, I have decided to transfer from the school,” Martin said. “My decision has nothing to do with the team or Coach (David) Cox. That’s family, and Cox is as great of a coach and father as they come.”

It must really suck to be a D1 coach outside of the P5/BE...having to recruit players against other coaches and now against these kids' own families too.
0 x