General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sources: Nike has cancelled both spring live recruiting periods for men's basketball. EYBL Session 1 (Indianapolis, April 17-19) and Session 2 (Atlanta, April 24-26).
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

People are entering the transfer portal at an insane rate today. Not a fan of this current day atmosphere of CBB. With all these transfers its ruining what college ball is suppose to be about.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Trying to keep this team together could be a big challenge for Cox.

Keeping fingers crossed.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know if this is confirmed or not but on March 12th we offered Abou Ousmane a PF (according to Verbal Commits) who is on the same team as Tres Berry who I believe someone saying that Todd Quarles from Expressions told our assistants to go after him
Correct and correct.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With recruiting visits on hold until April 15th.....

That happens to be the start of the spring signing period.

If that doesn't change, then if we are in the lead for Akeem and Berry, and they can't visit anywhere else, I think that would increase our chances of landing them.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Where would these guys be ranked as far as ....1.Talent...2.The likelihood that they come to Kingston?......The Mitchell twins, Odusipe, Richards, Hima, Ousmani.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Where would these guys be ranked as far as ....1.Talent...2.The likelihood that they come to Kingston?......The Mitchell twins, Odusipe, Richards, Hima, Ousmani.
You'd have to think the Mitchell twins would be our best bet.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

A member of the URI staff said the recruitment of transfers is becoming more important now to building a roster than the recruitment of high school seniors.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No doubt. The game is changing a lot with no sit out 1 year penalty.
And not changing for the better
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago No doubt. The game is changing a lot with no sit out 1 year penalty.
Even if the no sit out doesn’t pass.
There is no patience being used by players.
When they don’t get immediate results people around them (family, former coaches, friends) start to encourage that they consider transferring.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s overwhelming being a fan and trying to keep tabs on all the recruits and transfers. I can’t imagine the whirlwind it puts on staffs with the new (potential) transfer rules.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago No doubt. The game is changing a lot with no sit out 1 year penalty.
Even if the no sit out doesn’t pass.
There is no patience being used by players.
When they don’t get immediate results people around them (family, former coaches, friends) start to encourage that they consider transferring.
For sure.
It started with the very easy grad year and 5th year transfers. We rarely had this in the past.
One and done brutal on the top teams. Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc bring in players knowing they will play only 1 year.
Letting players move closer to home, family illness, homesickness, etc with no sit out penalty and doing it inconsistently in both basketball and football

Players wanting to move even with a year to sit out

The transfer rule will go in this year. No sit out. It’s that way in all NCAA sports except basketball and football

James Wiseman situation this year at Memphis.

Lawyers are lining up at the NCAA door. That have to change

But the college game is being ruined. My favorite sport but it’s going downhill fast. Absolutely horrible ncaa leadership.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago A member of the URI staff said the recruitment of transfers is becoming more important now to building a roster than the recruitment of high school seniors.
I would say at least equally important. Without Iverson and Stan URI doesn’t dance
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago A member of the URI staff said the recruitment of transfers is becoming more important now to building a roster than the recruitment of high school seniors.
I would say at least equally important. Without Iverson and Stan URI doesn’t dance
And the staff members point was that a lot has changed in the last three years. So since KI and Stan the movement has become even more important.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m still very torn about the transfer rule. On the one hand, I feel like the athletes are being badly taken advantage of by a system in which they generate a ton of revenue that they don’t see, and I want to be pro-labor even though technically (and absurdly) they aren’t even labor. I’m also sympathetic to the idea that regular students can transfer at just about any time for any reason. So in theory I am in favor of any pro-player rule, which the free transfer rule definitely is.

On the other hand, if this goes as I anticipated (and it seems like it very much is so far), it will basically ruin the sport for me. I can’t possibly devote the time and energy to tracking all the player movements, and also the game will just lose some of the fraternal feel between alumni and players that makes college sports popular in the first place. When the players on the team are roaming mercenaries and not really connected to the school in a meaningful way, when I won’t be able to relate to the players thru the shared experience of having been a student at my school, it will fundamentally change how I think and feel about the players and therefore the program - and the sport as a whole.

I think this is likely to be a disaster for my fandom, although I’m willing to give it a shot. I still say the better answer would have just been to start letting players participate in the revenues generated by the sport while maintaining the traditional restrictions on movement. In that scenario, the players are being compensated for their being tied to a school, which addresses both my concerns: players being taken advantage of and unrestricted player movement ruining fans’ connections to the sport.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm with TP on this, I'm torn, players are the product and should have some means of control over their personal situations, but seriously the transfer thing is out of control as it is.

I think there is merit in my idea of one time immediate eligibility for transfers of players that have been with the same team for two seasons. If a player can't make it through his/her sophomore season they can transfer and sit a season or half season, which actually could help to level out transfer rates.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rules should be equally applied. They are except for Football and Basketball.
Golf
Baseball
Softball
Track and Field
Cross Country
Hockey
Swimming and Diving
Lacrosse
Field Hockey
Soccer
Rowing
Tennis
Volleyball

Football
Basketball

No student athletes are paid

How legally should students be treated differently? Why should a student be allowed to transfer and play immediately except for football and basketball?

So the student athletes in Football and Basketball get different transfer rules because their schools and the NCAA make money in those sports?

Makes no sense legally.

Just have the same rules across the board. That is the fair thing to do. And it will avoid lawsuits current and future. The NCAA does a terrible job of applying the request for exceptions.

Plain, simple transfer rules across all sports.

Where the sports land they land.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Because there is so much money involved in basketball and football I believe why they have been treated differently..

...pressure on coaches to win leads to bending and breaking of ethical rules....more outreach to players at other schools to ask them to transfer....not many players on the other sports would generate this interest....

...with immediate eligibility for transfers one barrier to poaching is eliminated...look at the competition for grad transfers.....they are being recruited like high school seniors now...

...shady coaches will always be shady coaches.....this gives them a bigger pond is which to fish....the trickle down effect will be devastating to schools lower on the food chain....

.....I'm torn about easing the rule.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
Shhh, nobody tell him the difference in temperature at our beaches vs those 2 other schools named...
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Man, we can dream ..... He and Fatts would be ridiculous.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Is it possible that Sutton recruited him at Pitt?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It's getting to the point where I can't really get excited for new recruits because the chances they stay all 4 years is slim.
2 x
Go Rhody
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Will Rhody continue to focus on recruiting incoming freshman or will they start looking more to the transfer portal to add players?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think they have to adapt to the new ways with at least 2 transfers. Tough to predict what direction and they just need some good players at this point
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

In this miserable surreal time, we all could use some good news. I'd love to see one of the recruits say they are committing to URI. That would make my day or week.
5 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I think they have to adapt to the new ways with at least 2 transfers. Tough to predict what direction and they just need some good players at this point
I was told by a staff member that they are switching the priority to transfers going forward. This Spring maybe a transition from Fr recruits to transfer recruits with a mixture to fill this year’s open spots.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the idea of a good mix get 2 or 3 quality frosh who hopefully won’t transfer and get at least 1 or 2 immediately eligible grad transfers who are ready to contribute??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus majority of 2020 class is committed anyway.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As I recall Dayton did pretty well recently with transfers.

It's the new reality for mid majors.

Can't get the 4 star freshman recruits? Wait for them to transfer...then you get experienced players who can contribute.

Of course you still have to get the "right" ones.

Some schools will strike gold, some won't.
2 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Dream scenario Mitchell Twins, Tres Berry and Malik Martin. Would have a combination of depth, 3pt shooting and post play. If we’re not pursuing Martin than hopefully we get a similar caliber player with his experience.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think transfers will be a key, maybe the most important, part of recruiting going forward, for us and teams of our level.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

6 new players next year and it’s only March.&;5,,

Croswell becomes the second offseason addition to Cooley’s roster after PC picked up a commitment from Syracuse transfer Brycen Goodine last week. If both are allowed to compete right away, they will join a list of returnees that includes Nate Watson, Noah Horchler, David Duke, A.J. Reeves, Kris Monroe, Jimmy Nichols, Jared Bynum and Greg Gantt.

Providence will also welcome two incoming freshman in guard Alyn Breed and forward Jyare Davis. Breed signed his National Letter of Intent last fall while Davis is slated to sign next month.

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I look forward to PC fans continuing to tweet at me that A-10 players couldn't hack it in the Big East.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The sad thing is Croswell was viewed as the best player on LaSalle. I read the LaSalle message board to see how they feel about losing him and it hurts.

Croswell had 18 rebounds and 24 points against a strong rebounding team in Saint Louis. Just a sophomore

I know players should be allowed to pack up and leave because coaches can pack up and leave with not sit out year, plus only Basketball and Football have the sit out year - ultimately lawyers will change it if NCAA doesn’t.
Plus it’s really a Big10 Developed Proposal/Plan for the transfer immediate eligibility for Football and Basketball - the NCAA didn’t even develop it. P5 running the show - ncaa is inept.

But the immediate transfer eligibility will change things dramatically.

Mid majors and low majors could become the G-League or Baseball Farm System for the P5

Think we are already seeing it - new rule in place in April most likely
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pitino has done more result wise in one week than Cox has done in months.

That's the bottom line.

Face the facts, some of you.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think it will take Pitino 2 years
He’ll be ready in November
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Pitino has done more result wise in one week than Cox has done in months.

That's the bottom line.

PITINO is the man

COX WAKE UP
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i wanted pitino last year.. faults and all

hence my "CUT BAIT"

now.. we flounder in mediocrity
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Pitino has done more result wise in one week than Cox has done in months.

That's the bottom line.

Doombone,

Because his name is RICK FUCKING PITINO.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

exactly - you need the big name to get big time recruits

URI would have been having some fun winning w/ Rick Pitino

if only we offered him a job....

THINK BIG DO WE
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pitino is a HOF and coached in the NBA also so players will definitely want to play there . Looks like he will own that conference for a couple of years ??
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago exactly - you need the big name to get big time recruits

URI would have been having some fun winning w/ Rick Pitino

if only we offered him a job....

THINK BIG DO WE
You don’t think a sweet 16 run by Iona next year
and he keeps himself clean that he wouldn’t bolt for a lower P5 team? I do and than all his recruits would transfer out and then where would Iona be? Maybe in the same place as now at best but would 1 sweet 16 run for us be worth it when our best players would be leaving not our bench guys like now?
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Has anyone heard what his buyout would be?
He said himself that it was comical how high the price was.
0 x