URI Transfer issues

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: URI Transfer issues

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Players leave because they do not feel appreciated. This Board (myself included) should accept part of the blame. But most of the blame lies with their classmates, teammates, coaches and athletic administration who are more important to them than posters on a bulletin board. How many players who departed were BMOCs?
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Keaney_Blue
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Keaney_Blue »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Nobody answered my question. How many have transferred out of UConn in the past year or so?
Don't know, don't care. They have nothing to do with the URI basketball program and we don't even play against them. I totally agree with DC. Did losing these players hurt our depth at the end of the season, sure, but if the players are going to continue to be delusional about playing time what are the coaches supposed to do? I like Long and I think of the long list of players DC mentioned he hurts the most but you recruit and rebuild. Not to say we are going to be the next 2019/2020 Dayton Flyers, but didn't they change half of their roster a couple of years ago? Worked out for them....
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago At least in troubled times like this we have some constants in life to keep us grounded, even if that constant is players leaving Cox' program as fast as they can.

The average school loses 2 players a year, we're at 10 in two years.

Ten of the 20 players Cox inherited or brought in have left early.

Keep telling yourself that everything is fine. Keep saying this happens everywhere. It doesn't. This is off the charts and coupled with our Baron like collapse down the stretch points to massive problems with the program
Let’s try this one more time

Omar - left due to family death, be closer to home (stop gap/late recruit after Adams decommitted)
Hammond - left due to lack of PT
Long - left due to wanting more PT
Dana - was essentially administratively suspended indefinitely
Aris - practice player - swing and miss
Akele - left to play pro ball
Tertsea - now plays D2 ball
Mading - just ask a URI student why he’s no longer here.
Adams - wanted to play for Danny
Layssard - another administrative removal
Thompson- wanted to start and be closer to home

Who’d I miss?

I blame the staff for Aris. But then again, I don’t.

That’s it.

Any of these names impact our W/L?
Nope no impact om record at all. Dana tate is the worst of the losses. And all of which at their peak are bench rotational players that can be replaced
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Keaney_Blue wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Nobody answered my question. How many have transferred out of UConn in the past year or so?
Don't know, don't care. They have nothing to do with the URI basketball program and we don't even play against them. I totally agree with DC. Did losing these players hurt our depth at the end of the season, sure, but if the players are going to continue to be delusional about playing time what are the coaches supposed to do? I like Long and I think of the long list of players DC mentioned he hurts the most but you recruit and rebuild. Not to say we are going to be the next 2019/2020 Dayton Flyers, but didn't they change half of their roster a couple of years ago? Worked out for them....
Nice to meet you, sir.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Adams, and possibly Long and Tate were potential starters. Adams next year or the year after unless Leggett or Wood surpassed them. Who knows where we are 2 or 3 years from now when Tate, then Long would have been seniors.
Agreed. Likely senior year.

Dana was seemingly forced out due to his behavioral issues.

I truly believe transfers in year 1 for any coach should be granted a mulligan. But, I know where having that argument will take many of you.

Would welcome a civil debate. We likely won’t agree, but I’m open to it.
Cox doesn't get that mulligan. The whole point of hiring him was to keep the roster together. He's failed, spectacularly. And his recruiting as a head coach has been poor at best at this point
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago Half of this board is going to be apoplectic when we see UConn make the tourney again while we keep cycling players. Clock is running. How much tolerance do we have if next year is a bad year?
If we don't make the tournament next year Cox should be fired
0 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

Call me crazy, but I think losing Hammond definitely hurt our depth at the guard position this year. The limited minutes I saw him in early in the year, he at least looked like he belonged out there, physically. You have to count of some kind of improvement and growth over the course of a guy's Freshman year. Getting 5-10 minutes a game would have really helped Dowtin and Fatts stay fresh toward the end of the year and maybe we would have beaten Davidson or St. Louis because of that. One of those games could have meant the difference between being on the bubble or not. Fatts really trailed off at the end of the year and I think that had to do with overuse. Not to mention Dowtin was playing hurt. The Coronavirus makes this conversation moot, but I'm just making a point about how the departures have made an impact in my opinion. Similarly, I think we could have really used Christion this year.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Adams, and possibly Long and Tate were potential starters. Adams next year or the year after unless Leggett or Wood surpassed them. Who knows where we are 2 or 3 years from now when Tate, then Long would have been seniors.
Agreed. Likely senior year.

Dana was seemingly forced out due to his behavioral issues.

I truly believe transfers in year 1 for any coach should be granted a mulligan. But, I know where having that argument will take many of you.

Would welcome a civil debate. We likely won’t agree, but I’m open to it.
Cox doesn't get that mulligan. The whole point of hiring him was to keep the roster together. He's failed, spectacularly. And his recruiting as a head coach has been poor at best at this point
You’re absolutely right. What a dud he is.

:roll:
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 4 years ago Unless Coach Cox promised kids they would start or play big minutes (doubt it) then this is not on him.
How about this for a new recruiting rule:
Only sign kids who don't have an AAU coach, parent or posse that is telling them they are a superstar and NBA bound.
You'd end up with ..... no one.

It used to be you'd have 1-2 ego issues on a team to deal with. Now you have 8-10. New normal.
If it's the "new normal" for everyone, why are we losing twice the players other programs are? When you are double the average that means it's not normal by default
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Also our year was so bad this year that we almost made the tourney with this mass exodus of transfers that were flying out the program. (Sarcasm). Fringe tourney team with short bench but some of you over look that. And how we have this idea that our team is going to be awful next year is baffling. We may not be Dayton but I think we sure as hell will compete. I really question whether some of you have a supportive bone in your body. Constant bashing and negative comments every dsmn day. How about a fanbase that supports their program.
6 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Also our year was so bad this year that we almost made the tourney with this mass exodus of transfers that were flying out the program. (Sarcasm). Fringe tourney team with short bench but some of you over look that. And how we have this idea that our team is going to be awful next year is baffling. We may not be Dayton but I think we sure as hell will compete. I really question whether some of you have a supportive bone in your body. Constant bashing and negative comments every dsmn day. How about a fanbase that supports their program.
This is why I just hibernate for weeks at a time. This quarantine forced me out. I’m a glutton for punishment, obviously.
3 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Turnover is a reflection of somebody not knowing what they are doing. Who is the somebody?
Is it the players choosing the wrong program? The coaches choosing the wrong players?
The coaches not managing the roster right?
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Also our year was so bad this year that we almost made the tourney with this mass exodus of transfers that were flying out the program. (Sarcasm). Fringe tourney team with short bench but some of you over look that. And how we have this idea that our team is going to be awful next year is baffling. We may not be Dayton but I think we sure as hell will compete. I really question whether some of you have a supportive bone in your body. Constant bashing and negative comments every dsmn day. How about a fanbase that supports their program.
This is why I just hibernate for weeks at a time. This quarantine forced me out. I’m a glutton for punishment, obviously.

Yeah I feel you man fanbase is brutal sometimes delusional and I dont blame you I hibernate as well because can not take the negativity. But tough to stay away and not support my program.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago Turnover is a reflection of somebody not knowing what they are doing. Who is the somebody?
Is it the players choosing the wrong program? The coaches choosing the wrong players?
The coaches not managing the roster right?
So Gregg Marshall and Boeheim don’t know what they are doing?

Anthony Grant after his first season had an abundance of turnovers also. Guess he’s clueless too...

We are doomed.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago At least in troubled times like this we have some constants in life to keep us grounded, even if that constant is players leaving Cox' program as fast as they can.

Keep telling yourself that everything is fine. Keep saying this happens everywhere. It doesn't. This is off the charts and coupled with our Baron like collapse down the stretch points to massive problems with the program
rhowdy I don't recall your position on Cox at the point of hire sorry...

Were you in on Pitino or who?

on the above list Thompson was a massive loss, a player that I liked (met him out in public a couple times) and a player that got absolutely crushed on these forums.

At this point I don't know what to think, agree the twins and Berry at a minimum or I'll be sliding off the Cox bandwagon a bit.

(and I still prefer motion to our UCLA offense unless the twins are signed and can pass out of the high post)

oh and I hibernated for a long time here too after a bit of hospitalization and subsequent concern over the team's slide and some of the ridiculous takes on the forums by the same 4 or 5 posters over and over repeat repeat but luckily nobody noticed this alum was missing...
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

on the above list Thompson was a massive loss, a player that I liked (met him out in public a couple times) and a player that got absolutely crushed on these forums.

At this point I don't know what to think, agree the twins and Berry at a minimum or I'll be sliding off the Cox bandwagon a bit.

(and I still prefer motion to our UCLA offense unless the twins are signed and can pass out of the high post)

oh and I hibernated for a long time here too after a bit of hospitalization and subsequent concern over the team's slide and some of the ridiculous takes on the forums by the same 4 or 5 posters over and over repeat repeat but luckily nobody noticed this alum was missing...
I had him as one of the top 3 candidates and wrote shortly after Dan left, "risky because he's never been a head coach, highest short term reward because he's most likely to keep the whole roster together. His experience says he's due for a head coach position." I've seen nothing that suggests he's a good head coach. Great assistant, but I don't feel like he's done well ascending to the big chair. I was, and will forever be out on Pitino.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago

I had him as one of the top 3 candidates and wrote shortly after Dan left, "risky because he's never been a head coach, highest short term reward because he's most likely to keep the whole roster together. His experience says he's due for a head coach position." I've seen nothing that suggests he's a good head coach. Great assistant, but I don't feel like he's done well ascending to the big chair. I was, and will forever be out on Pitino.
I know will never see eye to eye, and that’s okay, but 21-9 and 3rd in the A10, after preseason rankings had us between 5-7, is bad?

We were behind a Top 3 team, in the country and
Richmond who was clicking on all cylinders.
4 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

DC

I agree the team did well with limited players. And I agree that kids today have a now mentality but is it unreasonable to ask if there may be something else at play here? Over 10 transfers in 2 years is a lot. I am not saying Cox should be fired or anything like that but couldn't there be something that says maybe we may need to look a little deeper? There is a % of blame on the coaching staff as well.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

I know will never see eye to eye, and that’s okay, but 21-9 and 3rd in the A10, after preseason rankings had us between 5-7, is bad?

We were behind a Top 3 team, in the country and
Richmond who was clicking on all cylinders.
We were projected to be on the wrong side of the bubble. Any season that doesn't end in the tourney is bad imo.

The attitude expressed here is the same thing we lived with in the Baron years. It lead to the destruction of this program. Think bigger.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago DC

I agree the team did well with limited players. And I agree that kids today have a now mentality but is it unreasonable to ask if there may be something else at play here? Over 10 transfers in 2 years is a lot. I am not saying Cox should be fired or anything like that but couldn't there be something that says maybe we may need to look a little deeper? There is a % of blame on the coaching staff as well.
I agree. Blame goes all the way around. But I am in the camp that if a kid leaves, bring in someone better. Let’s see how the summer goes.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I agree. Blame goes all the way around. But I am in the camp that if a kid leaves, bring in someone better. Let’s see how the summer goes.
Ok so now that we got you to admit there is some blame, what could the issue be? I have heard David is very strict and that might not work with some kids. if true that should be told to kids before hand now that it may have become a problem.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think Cox needs a little more credit.

Yes we collapsed a little.

We will never know what we would have done had the coronavirus hadn't derailed the world.

Considering all the roster issues, injuries to Cyril and Jeff towards the end of the year, I think Cox held the group together better than many thought was possible.

He did prove that with a limited roster he could get them to operate at a high level in what was a pretty tough conference this year.

If we are to get the twins in and Berry I could really see things take off.

Do we have a collapse with a team where we don't have to completely rely on Fatts?

I dont think Jeff and Cyril were the kind of players that you want to rely on to carry you offensively.

They are all time greats, but they were obviously more comfortable playing smaller roles.

As good as they were at what they do, they were lacking in offensive fire power.

Jeff was no, EC or JT.

Cyril was no Hassan.

When things got tough we needed those guys to step outside of their comfort zone and deliver offensively at a level that was too difficult for them.

For what he had to work with, he did a good job.

Also, if you're caught up in how there was this big Baron collapse then why was he able to get the guys playing their best ball at the end of last season?

As much as there are things to scoff at there are just as many things to be hopeful for.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago

Ok so now that we got you to admit there is some blame, what could the issue be? I have heard David is very strict and that might not work with some kids. if true that should be told to kids before hand now that it may have become a problem.
I can’t speak to that. But I can say isn’t any more or less strict than any other coach in D1 basketball. He’s been around some really good ones.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think Cox needs a little more credit.

Yes we collapsed a little.

We will never know what we would have done had the coronavirus hadn't derailed the world.

Considering all the roster issues, injuries to Cyril and Jeff towards the end of the year, I think Cox held the group together better than many thought was possible.

He did prove that with a limited roster he could get them to operate at a high level in what was a pretty tough conference this year.

If we are to get the twins in and Berry I could really see things take off.

Do we have a collapse with a team where we don't have to completely rely on Fatts?

I dont think Jeff and Cyril were the kind of players that you want to rely on to carry you offensively.

They are all time greats, but they were obviously more comfortable playing smaller roles.

As good as they were at what they do, they were lacking in offensive fire power.

Jeff was no, EC or JT.

Cyril was no Hassan.

When things got tough we needed those guys to step outside of their comfort zone and deliver offensively at a level that was too difficult for them.

For what he had to work with, he did a good job.

Also, if you're caught up in how there was this big Baron collapse then why was he able to get the guys playing their best ball at the end of last season?

As much as there are things to scoff at there are just as many things to be hopeful for.
PRT, best post of 2020, and not because you said Cox deserves credit, but because you identified the teams limitations and how they TRIED to overcome them.

Bravo, man.
6 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If this was a business you’d be analyzing how much is a change in the business model and how much is an internal problem. That’s where I’m at.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I want to throw something out that may or may not have bearing. I know ultimately Cox is the head coach and everything lies at his feet.

But, I’m concerned with the Carroll Sr and Carroll JR situation as well. I’ve heard how Sr has an incredible basketball mind. But, at the risk of sounding unsympathetic, is he able to give 100% to the team, and is JR. Ready for prime time?

Are the players getting the coaching they would be getting if we still had a Luke Murray or ARD?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I hope Long lands in a happy place for him......can’t see any lower level D1 staff hanging out viewing the portal going all ga ga like over Long appearing there.....nice role player for us, program changer for anyone in the, say MAAC level, no......nice role player there too....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Keaney_Blue wrote: 4 years ago
Many posters are saying this is the norm. I say losing 10 players in 2 years is not the norm. New situation and coaching staff at UConn. Players aren't transferring from there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

With all 5 starters back and (supposed) added depth, we shouldn't have been a fringe tourney team.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Oo yeah then why did you pick them 16 and 14 in prediction contest. They clearly out did your expectations then. 21 and 9 is a whole five games better then you thought. So dont come at me with this. They were a projected a fringe tourney team by everyone. Like where was it written at beginning of year we were overwhelming favorite to make tourney as opposed to fringe tourney team. Projected between third or fourth in a10. Finished 3rd.
Last edited by sevegny7 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Granted we blew a chance at a tourney appearance likely when we just needed to close it out. But we had played most of the year above preseason expectations. With awful luck with two transfer rulings and dana Tate issue that was extremely unfortunate.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Oo yeah then why did you pick them 16 and 14 in prediction contest. They clearly out did your expectations then. 21 and 9 is a whole five games better then you thought. So dont come at me with this. They were a projected a fringe tourney team by everyone. Like where was it written at beginning of year we were overwhelming favorite to make tourney as opposed to fringe tourney team. Projected between third or fourth in a10. Finished 3rd.
Maybe I didn't think the coaching was up to par.
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

It's almost like you have to recruit two tiers of players. 1) Starters who know they are going to be starters, and 2) Scrubs who know they are going to be lucky to even get in the game. Then everyone is happy.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramrod wrote: 4 years ago It's almost like you have to recruit two tiers of players. 1) Starters who know they are going to be starters, and 2) Scrubs who know they are going to be lucky to even get in the game. Then everyone is happy.
Ha, you know, I wouldn't label the second tier as scrubs, but I think you may be on to something. If you have a bunch of "alpha" personalities, for lack of a better term, it's hard to give two to four heavy starter minutes, and then have the rest be happy with coming off the bench for 5 to 20 minutes a game. It might require a re-calibration in scouting - Making taking a couple guys who seem less "hungry," who might be OK with the bench role and have a lower peak, but you can slot them into a role on the team for all four years.

The other thing - It would probably help to wade more into the transfer market, just because those players have less options and power. If you've transferred once already, you're probably more likely to stick with team #2, just because you've already "spent" a year of eligibility.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that when 10 players transfer, 10 more have to be recruited. That costs a lot of money and takes its toll on the budget.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Long and Hammond were career starters in high school. The talent doesn’t always instantly translate. They were used to being the alpha, and clearly can’t handle not being that.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Elijah doesn't play a lot of minutes next year, where will he go?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Okay so if we only lose long and add berry and the twins and lose no one else are we really freaking out. I understand it seems like tons of transfers are pouring out of our program but it is not just one program that has this problem. It is most. What was realistic expected minutes played for Mekhi next year anyways? Rotational bench player. If fatts or some of our big pieces start transferring out then we need to raise an eyebrow and be significantly concerned. But at this point every player that has left has been in that exact same role. Whether you like it or not this is the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future.
Yes, let’s ignore the obvious smoldering fire and not become concerned until it’s a full on inferno.
That's ridiculous.

If we dont get any of these transfers or recruits we are in on then I would be in your camp, otherwise whats happening does not indicate everything is going down in flames. If we get the twins and Berry then we automatically have a better roster next year.
There ya go....lotta potential out there. And those that are transferring...you can get a better skills assessment than on a high schooler.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Oo yeah then why did you pick them 16 and 14 in prediction contest. They clearly out did your expectations then. 21 and 9 is a whole five games better then you thought. So dont come at me with this. They were a projected a fringe tourney team by everyone. Like where was it written at beginning of year we were overwhelming favorite to make tourney as opposed to fringe tourney team. Projected between third or fourth in a10. Finished 3rd.
Yup, they were. We had some unknowns going into the year. If this board knew that Fatts would average 19 a game and play like an all american in many moments I'm sure predictions would have been different. After seeing who improved as well as the talent of some of the freshman I think it was pretty clear this was a tournament team. I guess you disagree, but we were a projected 9 seed 23 games in for a reason.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

A million excuses but no explanation why the average is 2 departures and we’ve had 10. Generally, where there’s smoke there’s fire. I really do want Cox to succeed because I want URI to win. That said, to pretend there aren’t some red flags is either being intentionally obtuse or an indication that URI’s success might not be your top priority.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago If Elijah doesn't play a lot of minutes next year, where will he go?
......lona?.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago A million excuses but no explanation why the average is 2 departures and we’ve had 10. Generally, where there’s smoke there’s fire. I really do want Cox to succeed because I want URI to win. That said, to pretend there aren’t some red flags is either being intentionally obtuse or an indication that URI’s success might not be your top priority.
I broke them all down. All have reasons next to them. All can’t be attributed to the Staff.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

One of the problems with the roster this year was it's construction. Not just that we only had 8, but the fact that 3 of the 8 played basically the same position: Tyrese, Toppin, Long. All three could play elsewhere, but they were all basically small forwards. Long probably saw the handwriting on the wall. Hoping Toppin can grow into a 4, or Tyrese can work on his ball skills, so we can get both these guys on the floor together for more minutes.
2 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Are a lot of these transfers kinda putting all their
eggs in one basket? Are they assuming the proposed new rule has already been passed? Ok, I’m going to go back to sanitizing my insides with 90 proof
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago A million excuses but no explanation why the average is 2 departures and we’ve had 10. Generally, where there’s smoke there’s fire. I really do want Cox to succeed because I want URI to win. That said, to pretend there aren’t some red flags is either being intentionally obtuse or an indication that URI’s success might not be your top priority.
Not to sound like too much of a fence sitter, but I want a bit more of a sample size before drawing a more definitive conclusion. Ten transfers in two years isn't great - it suggests an issue in identifying players who will be good fits, who can play at the A-10 level, etc. But, it's also not unheard of for a newer head coach to get better, or, for there to be more instability following a coaching change.

I think the quality of the incoming class is going to be pivotal for Cox's future. Fatts is great, and Toppin has a lot of the potential, but the rest of the roster strikes me as guys with a peak of role player or solid starter. (Maybe Martin can be a bit more than that.) Dotwin played a big role on this team, so depending on how the roster shakes out, that could mean some immediate minutes and opportunity for guys like Wood, Sheppard, Leggett, etc.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Let’s try this one more time

Omar - left due to family death, be closer to home (stop gap/late recruit after Adams decommitted)
Hammond - left due to lack of PT
Long - left due to wanting more PT
Dana - was essentially administratively suspended indefinitely
Aris - practice player - swing and miss
Akele - left to play pro ball
Tertsea - now plays D2 ball
Mading - just ask a URI student why he’s no longer here.
Adams - wanted to play for Danny
Layssard - another administrative removal
Thompson- wanted to start and be closer to home

Who’d I miss?

I blame the staff for Aris. But then again, I don’t.

That’s it.

Any of these names impact our W/L?
We live in a very self-indulgent/instant gratification society. That’s all about to change FAST with what we are currently facing. Add in the fact the NCAA ruling on these transfers and there ya go. That’s the tea.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

This was a banner year for URI Men's basketball.
1. Advertising revenue was so good that they had trouble finding places to place signage.
2. Attendance was so strong that they could raise ticket prices.
3. Money was saved by hiring a low rate coach.
If this was a private business the CEO would be receiving a big bonus. Keep churning the players year after year and it will take people 11 years to realize what is happening.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago

So now you're making an argument that we're bad at recruiting? Why are we recruiting 10 people in 2 years that "won't make a difference?"
This response makes no sense. Each player should be case by case. We haven’t lost any potential starters.
I know defending Cox to the end is the way we go about it around here, but at what point is any of this his fault? We only lost a couple potential starters. It sounds like bad recruiting to me. David Cox is one of the nicest guys you will meet so are we not getting players that are the right fit for this program and want to stay and play for him. Yeah I saw each individual situation for the players that left, but cmon. If people want to say this is overblown that is fine, but just don’t complain when the team is struggling next year which they almost surely will with this current roster. I like Leggett and don’t see anything else coming in.
You are right. We haven’t lost any potential starters. 100% right. I would agree with all 10.
But most all were potential starters when they came to URI, right?
So either we misjudged them when we watched them play in HS/AAU or they didn’t develop as we expected they would or both

Just doesn’t feel good to me.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

:D
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think Cox needs a little more credit. Disagree.

Yes we collapsed a little. We collapsed a LOT. Name another team that was a lock for the NCAA then finished as weakly as we did? Last 9 games - all in February and March - the two critical months
UMASS - favored by 15, only won by 6. Game was very close. We did not look much better than UMASS
GW - clobbered GW by 31, but we didn’t play the bench and rest the starters near what I thought we should have
@ Dayton - we got embarrassed and destroyed
St Josephs - closer than should have been in 1st half. SJ without their best player Ryan Daly. Only up 4 at half
@Davidson - lost in a big game
@Fordham - won by a point with miracle rebound and 2 FTs by Jacob Toppin
Saint Louis - we were outplayed at home
Dayton - overmatched
@UMASS - won by a point in a very closest contented game

So we lost 4 of our last 7. We beat Fordham and UMASS by a single point. Easily could have finished losing 6 of last 7 games.

We will never know what we would have done had the coronavirus hadn't derailed the world. Same with all teams

Considering all the roster issues, injuries to Cyril and Jeff towards the end of the year, I think Cox held the group together better than many thought was possible. Disagree

He did prove that with a limited roster he could get them to operate at a high level in what was a pretty tough conference this year. Conference ranked 8th. Most years ranked 7th.

If we are to get the twins in and Berry I could really see things take off. Berry is ranked #394 by 247. Hurley recruited guys ranked 50 to 150 for the most part. We are recruiting worse ranked players these last two years

Do we have a collapse with a team where we don't have to completely rely on Fatts? what does this mean? This team did not completely rely on Fatts. Fatts did not play well the last 7 games when we went 3-4 with 1 point wins over lowly Fordham and a UMASS with 3 freshmen starters

I dont think Jeff and Cyril were the kind of players that you want to rely on to carry you offensively. Both Dowtin and Langevine are All A-10 level players

They are all time greats, but they were obviously more comfortable playing smaller roles. Disagree

As good as they were at what they do, they were lacking in offensive fire power. disagree

Jeff was no, EC or JT.

Cyril was no Hassan.

When things got tough we needed those guys to step outside of their comfort zone and deliver offensively at a level that was too difficult for them. Disagree

For what he had to work with, he did a good job. Disagree

Also, if you're caught up in how there was this big Baron collapse then why was he able to get the guys playing their best ball at the end of last season? We lost 4 of last 7 with 2 of the wins by only a point against UMASS and Fordham. Could easily have finished losing 6 of last 7. We did not look good

As much as there are things to scoff at there are just as many things to be hopeful for.again I disagree.
PRT, best post of 2020, and not because you said Cox deserves credit, but because you identified the teams limitations and how they TRIED to overcome them.

Bravo, man.
Sounds like you guys think Cox deserved A10 Coach of the Year
We went from NCAA lock to not close to a bid in 3 weeks. Name another team that faltered as badly as we did.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Not to sound like too much of a fence sitter, but I want a bit more of a sample size before drawing a more definitive conclusion. Ten transfers in two years isn't great - it suggests an issue in identifying players who will be good fits, who can play at the A-10 level, etc. But, it's also not unheard of for a newer head coach to get better, or, for there to be more instability following a coaching change.

I think the quality of the incoming class is going to be pivotal for Cox's future. Fatts is great, and Toppin has a lot of the potential, but the rest of the roster strikes me as guys with a peak of role player or solid starter. (Maybe Martin can be a bit more than that.) Dotwin played a big role on this team, so depending on how the roster shakes out, that could mean some immediate minutes and opportunity for guys like Wood, Sheppard, Leggett, etc.
That seems reasonable. Cox needs to get better at building and managing a roster, but it seems like an easier thing to improve on than other coach’s duties. Coaches have to value each and every scholarship spot. Some of the problems: leaving a roster spot open; Johnson not being at all able to contribute; and the obvious risks involved in taking Sheppard- he’s a good player, so his final four was indicative of something going on (URI, SMU and two schools I can’t even remember).

Those things in isolation aren’t major, and sometimes even ok or beneficial, but in combination with all the transfers, it’s an area that needs to be improved. That’s why going player by player and saying nothing matters isn’t the whole picture. They got lucky with injuries and were able to keep it together and create some fun memories with this group. I don’t think anyone really knows how to classify anyone’s season this year, but their’s was collectively good, IMO.

Now, they’re looking at Spring recruiting to fill three or four spots that need to significantly upgrade the talent. They’re largely looking for this talent from a group that some of you want to classify as being selfish or stupid or poorly influenced or mismanaged. Maybe hold off on some of those characterizations and realize that there’s usually blame or responsibility on all sides. Coaching staffs won’t be successful if they push it all off as being “just the way of the current game” or “kids today” and don’t examine their contributions.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x