The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Tremendous article here about Alterique Gilbert. Great and determined young man, hope he finds a great place for the next step.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great article. Thanks for sharing Ace

This was Dan’s first transfer at UConn but since he is graduating it’s a grad transfer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A LOT of names
It's a changing recruiting world

0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Great article. Thanks for sharing Ace

This was Dan’s first transfer at UConn but since he is graduating it’s a grad transfer.
He committed to UConn in 2015, when Hurley came he stayed with the program.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Yeah, he’s a grad transfer, like Biggie and Jarelle. Matt Butler is still the only player that’s transferred out early for him at either URI or UConn, but that’s likely to change.

A lot of players across the sport have already announced their intent to transfer, but not every staff and player have had their final meetings for the season, so it’s not done yet. The way it all ended and most players not being on campus when they normally would be has everything even more disrupted.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago

He committed to UConn in 2015, when Hurley came he stayed with the program.
I took the comment from The Boneyard. Some posters were commenting and questioning if this was Dan's first Transfer. They said it was but they also pointed out that Gilbert was graduating.

The understanding is that they are all Dan's players once he takes over the team, whether he recruited them personally or not.

But I understand it can be a different story of they were someone else's recruits - it makes things different for sure.

To be honest, I am surprised in 2 years Dan has only had one player transfer - and one could say Gilbert is not really a transfer in the traditional sense of the word.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a surprise. Iona listed yet again

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pitino is going to offer everybody it seems.....he will build a good team in no time.

Of course he hasn't had any contact other than a phone call to them....same as everybody right now.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Pitino is going to offer everybody it seems.....he will build a good team in no time.

Of course he hasn't had any contact other than a phone call to them....same as everybody right now.
He has got plenty of his own money to offer players. There are also a lot of strip clubs in the NYC metro.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino doesn't necessarily want to stay at Iona long. But then again, he is back home near Long Island so you never know what goes through an older Coaches mind. Maybe he is happy with Coaching at Iona for 5+ years.

But the situation today is made for Pitino. You can bring in Grad Transfers who can play right way with excellent experience.
You can being in transfers who for the first time will be immediately eligible
You can being in freshmen to live and play in the New York City vicinity
You can leverage your name recognition and experience in recruiting

I think Iona will be strong right out of the game 8 months from now
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Initial schools with interest are a big drop off from UConn for Gilbert. Still early though.

0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Udeze makes the 7th Wichita State Transfer in a week

3/19/2020 - 2018 C Morris Udeze (6-8, 251, 3★) will be transferring. - Per Jake Weingarten, Stock Risers
3/19/2020 - 2019 PG Noah Fernandes (5-11, 152, 4★) will be transferring to Massachusetts.
3/17/2020 - 2019 PG Grant Sherfield (6-2, 197, 4★) will be transferring. - Per Link
3/14/2020 - 2019 PF DeAntoni Gordon (6-7, 200, 4★) will be transferring. - Per Link
3/13/2020 - 2018 PG Jamarius Burton (6-4, 210, 3★) will be transferring. - Per Corey Evans, Rivals
3/13/2020 - 2018 SG Erik Stevenson (6-3, 202, 3★) will be transferring.
3/13/2020 - 2018 PG Tate Busse (6-2, 177, 2★) will be transferring.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The writing was on the wall all year for Gilbert parting after this season. Good for him, good for Uconn, good for Dan.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Crazy what is going on at Wichita State. All 3 of their 4 star recruits from last year are leaving. Marshall is a respected and well regarded coach with a history of winning.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those schools would be good for Gilbert lower D1 where he can probably start
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Straight up trade for Fatts?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

Straight up trade for Fatts?
Hard pass
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......reads to me......a clash of old school style/type coach and todays disease of me athlete......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If you look at Mekhi’s IG, he deleted all the URI stuff.

Writing on the wall.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That's such an odd one to me. DMV kid with seemingly deep connectivity with the staff. We were on him early in his recruiting and made him feel loved. He played more minutes this year than he really should have, and would have, if Tate had not transferred. Unless he is moving down a level this makes zero sense.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Mekhi gone. Transferring
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......next transfer up......so, now where do we go for glue or for a Swiss Army knife?
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago That's such an odd one to me. DMV kid with seemingly deep connectivity with the staff. We were on him early in his recruiting and made him feel loved. He played more minutes this year than he really should have, and would have, if Tate had not transferred. Unless he is moving down a level this makes zero sense.
based on past comments it sounds like it was driven by family...who knows, but i agree with you.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is Cox whipping these kids with his belt or something? Crazy stuff man. I met Coach C, hes a good dude, I don't see what the reason could be.
1 x
GO RAMS
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

It was family driven. Believed he should’ve been playing more. Logical sports fan know that he should not have been. The time he was getting was ideal for a frosh.

He will surely be going to a lower level so he can start.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......Iona?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago It was family driven. Believed he should’ve been playing more. Logical sports fan know that he should not have been. The time he was getting was ideal for a frosh.

He will surely be going to a lower level so he can start.
But wouldn't he be getting more playing time next season with Langevine graduating? There are no others at his size coming in. He may not start, but he'd certainly see more minutes. Probably as much as anywhere else he'd transfer to.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Damn thats too bad, I liked Mekhi and thought he could do well here. I had a feeling a transfer was coming after seeing how many other players we've been connected with lately. Wish him luck wherever he lands, I think he'll be a pretty solid player.
0 x
Stanvsthecop
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Stanvsthecop »

These new Transfer rules are going to be impossible. Never mind if they let Athletes start profiting off their name. Every year you will have to worry about your best players leaving, and your Mid Tier players going to lower programs for more playing time. It’s a tough situation, but the shuffling and movement is going to get outta control.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not really that shocking since his dad came on here last year when it looked like Shepard and Walker would be eligible all season and Tate would be in the rotation, and was talking wild shit like Long was going get 30 minutes a game and shock the world or whatever.

Long is a nice player and does a lot of little things to help a team win, but he’s still very limited offensively - which I said all season as a lot of posters here clamored for more minutes for him. I thought he could be a four year contributor but probably never would have been a starter here. To me, this hurts a little less than losing Dana but it isn’t insignificant. As of right now we do not have enough players on the roster to have a full rotation, so anytime you lose a guy that would be in the rotation it hurts.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not really that shocking since his dad came on here last year when it looked like Shepard and Walker would be eligible all season and Tate would be in the rotation, and was talking wild shit like Long was going get 30 minutes a game and shock the world or whatever.

Long is a nice player and does a lot of little things to help a team win, but he’s still very limited offensively - which I said all season as a lot of posters here clamored for more minutes for him. I thought he could be a four year contributor but probably never would have been a starter here. To me, this hurts a little less than losing Dana but it isn’t insignificant. As of right now we do not have enough players on the roster to have a full rotation, so anytime you lose a guy that would be in the rotation it hurts.
I felt like Long definitely could have been at least a strong glue guy on a good team, like a Landers was for Dayton. Only time would have told, but would he have gotten 18 pts and 6 rebounds a game? Maybe not, but definitely somewhere around 10 and 4 with the occasional burst, plus great D!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not really that shocking since his dad came on here last year when it looked like Shepard and Walker would be eligible all season and Tate would be in the rotation, and was talking wild shit like Long was going get 30 minutes a game and shock the world or whatever.

Did we actually determine that was his dad? Wow, if so.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I’m just assuming
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I guess you can keep saying all these guys have awful families who are influencing them to make poor decisions or they’re flawed as people. Might be relevant in some cases. Even if that is true, is something missing in recruiting or in how the vision of the team and program is being communicated afterwards? You can complain about “kids today” and the current state of college basketball, but teams still have to field a full roster and try to keep some continuity.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Long is a nice player and does a lot of little things to help a team win, but he’s still very limited offensively - which I said all season as a lot of posters here clamored for more minutes for him. I thought he could be a four year contributor but probably never would have been a starter here. To me, this hurts a little less than losing Dana but it isn’t insignificant. As of right now we do not have enough players on the roster to have a full rotation, so anytime you lose a guy that would be in the rotation it hurt*s.
I never saw the poster say or confirm he was Longs dad.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Long is a nice player and does a lot of little things to help a team win, but he’s still very limited offensively - which I said all season as a lot of posters here clamored for more minutes for him. I thought he could be a four year contributor but probably never would have been a starter here. To me, this hurts a little less than losing Dana but it isn’t insignificant. As of right now we do not have enough players on the roster to have a full rotation, so anytime you lose a guy that would be in the rotation it hurt*s.
I never saw the poster say or confirm he was Longs dad.
He didn’t but it was clearly someone close to Long (family). He was incredibly unrealistic about what Long could produce.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I thought Long the freshman was better than Tate the sophomore fwiw.

the roster turnover is tough, but it doesn't preclude success. Hold on to the best guys and surround them with a group that can dance.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 4 years ago I thought Long the freshman was better than Tate the sophomore fwiw.
Oof. That’s a tough take, IMO. I liked Long fine enough for what he was but I guess I missed something that a lot of other fans saw - I doubt you’re the only one with this opinion, but I just didn’t see it.
4 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Seems like a lot of these guys are playing a guessing game when listening to rumors of transfers potentially coming in- do I stick things out and fight to improve and earn the playing time regardless of who else comes in? Or do I get ahead and transfer and move to a situation in which my role appears more secure? Kind of a shame because the initial college recruitment is such a long process and a big decision and a lot of time it’s not given the time to see itself through.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I have not yet been disappointed in losing any of the players that URI has lost to transfer under Coach Cox, losing Fatts would be another story. Tate and Long were fringe A10 players, if they expect to be getting more playing time, its going to be at a low major program, best of luck to Mehki
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago I have not yet been disappointed in losing any of the players that URI has lost to transfer under Coach Cox, losing Fatts would be another story. Tate and Long were fringe A10 players, if they expect to be getting more playing time, its going to be at a low major program, best of luck to Mehki
I agree with everything you said, except for your assessment of Tate.

Long I think was solid, but we can get better.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

21-9, 2nd/3rd in the A10 behind #3 Dayton, with 7 bodies. I think we will be fine once the roster fills out for next season (and it will fill out) hopefully with players better than the ones we’ve lost (which isn’t a tall task)
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Long was a good glue guy but if he wants to start going forward he needs to pick a lower D1 school
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Tate situation is drastically different than Long. Can't compare the two or put them in the same category.
I'm certainly disappointed by Long departure. He will be missed but I find it hard to believe that him and the family thought more time was deserved. How many minutes would have been enough to them?
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago I have not yet been disappointed in losing any of the players that URI has lost to transfer under Coach Cox, losing Fatts would be another story. Tate and Long were fringe A10 players, if they expect to be getting more playing time, its going to be at a low major program, best of luck to Mehki
I agree with everything you said, except for your assessment of Tate.

Long I think was solid, but we can get better.
I was never as high as many here on Tate from the start. Definitely a good player to bring off the bench, but he seemed to small to guards bigs and to slow to guard wings, he didn't do anything exceptionally well to stand out as a difference maker. I think if we weren't so undermanned this year, his loss wouldn't not have hurt as much. Compare Tate to a Toppin for example, you can tell Jacob is going to be a staple in our program in the next few years, I never felt that way about Tate, he'll be more of an impact player in the MAAC.
Last edited by Shinze88 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Tate situation is drastically different than Long. Can't compare the two or put them in the same category.
I'm certainly disappointed by Long departure. He will be missed but I find it hard to believe that him and the family thought more time was deserved. How many minutes would have been enough to them?
25+ Im hearing came from his mothers mouth.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Tate situation is drastically different than Long. Can't compare the two or put them in the same category.
25+ Im hearing came from his mothers mouth.
I said in Longs thread? in recruitment that it probably would have been a problem his whole career if he didn't get 25-30 mins a game and I saw him as a good 6-7 man off the bench (10-20 mins at most).
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Keep dreaming if anyone thinks he warranted 25 minutes a night on our team that was in contention to dance
1 x