'19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI --> Old Dominion)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 MD SF - Mekhi Long (URI - Transfer)

Unread post by Ramulous »

Very disappointed....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This transfer rule will be the new pandemic.
1 x
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

This is just ridiculous. Do we have anybody actually talking to these kids? I'm absolutely mystified by the succession of Hammond-Tate-Long departures. Do we need a team psychologist or counselor or something? There is no way that an inclusive and supportive environment would see this number of people decide to leave. It's a real indictment of the culture. You can't just blame the kids who decide to leave. There are two sides to every relationship. There's got to be a better way to motivate the guys who aren't starting for you to stay.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Had an Ulmer level ceiling I think.

His defense was so great for us. We could miss that next year.

Not getting enough minutes though? That's definitely a product of the times we are in. Nobody, but him and his family would think that. A few years ago, nobody would leave our program as a freshman after getting 13 minutes a game.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

As they go thru high school, prep school and AAU they get fed bull shit by people around them that they are “good enough to play in the League”. These kids and their families are so full of unrealistic expectations. Before we evaluate Cox and the staff on this one let’s remember this.
1) Long switched HS/Prep after his Soph yr and Jr year
2) Long switched AAU teams in his final year between the Spring and Summer seasons.
3) Long transfers after his Fr year
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'd be fine if Toppin took all of his minutes.

I don't think Long was going to get very good minutes next year, with all the players we are trying to bring in. Probably wouldn't have gotten over 13 yet again.

DJ Johnson time??? Let the string bean out there and knock down some of those threes we always see in warm ups!!!
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Agree. This is a byproduct of the AAU culture and not any shortcoming of our staff. The new rule will merely be an enabler.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I'd be fine if Toppin took all of his minutes.

I don't think Long was going to get very good minutes next year, with all the players we are trying to bring in. Probably wouldn't have gotten over 13 yet again.

DJ Johnson time??? Let the string bean out there and knock down some of those threes we always see in warm ups!!!
DJ stinks! I’m not sure why people still think he will contribute. He is not on this level defensively and is the 13th man at best. We have hit rock bottom if we are counting on him. Long was a very good defensive player and who was much valuable than Johnson. The new transfer rule as I said before will single handily make college basketball a joke. A spin off the NBA and that whole free agent process
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago Very disappointed....
How many times have we all said that about URI over the last 4 weeks and also in terms of players always leaving this program.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

DJ stinks! I’m not sure why people still think he will contribute. He is not on this level defensively and is the 13th man at best. We have hit rock bottom if we are counting on him. Long was a very good defensive player and who was much valuable than Johnson. The new transfer rule as I said before will single handily make college basketball a joke. A spin off the NBA and that whole free agent process
How do you know DJ stinks?

We havent seen him play other than an exhibition, if you were there.

I dont think losing Long will end up that big of a deal in the end. Opens up a roster spot. Get someone better.
3 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Mekhi would have played a TJ Buchanan role for likely his whole career. The kind of guy every team needs/wants but finding someone to accept that role is the challenge.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I dont think losing Long will end up that big of a deal in the end. Opens up a roster spot. Get someone better.
I have spoken to people who know and watched him play who are close and involved with the program. If you don’t believe me go back to the St.Louis thread last year 2018-19 when I said that there would be a new lineup for the first time all year. Fatts didn’t play. Why do you think he didn’t even get mentioned about playing despite how thin we were this year? Is Cox saving him because of his talent and because we are so deep.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

DJ was not ready for D I basketball last year. His offensive game is already there, the hope is that he puts on some weight and develops his defense. Hopefully being a consistent contributor by his senior year.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well we dont know how much better he will be come November.

Besides, not like I think he is going to come in and play big minutes next year. Dont even think Long would, with Tyrese and Jacob getting most of the wing minutes. Throw DJ out there if we are up against a zone or something.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I have spoken to people who know and watched him play who are close and involved with the program. If you don’t believe me go back to the St.Louis thread last year 2018-19 when I said that there would be a new lineup for the first time all year. Fatts didn’t play. Why do you think he didn’t even get mentioned about playing despite how thin we were this year? Is Cox saving him because of his talent and because we are so deep.
Cox is saving him to develop not only his game but his body. His shooting ability is uncanny. Saw the kid drain 17 uncontested 3s in warmups. I’m not naive enough to say this will undoubtedly occur on the floor, but he has the ability to shoot. He’s a zone buster.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Well we dont know how much better he will be come November.

Besides, not like I think he is going to come in and play big minutes next year. Dont even think Long would, with Tyrese and Jacob getting most of the wing minutes. Throw DJ out there if we are up against a zone or something.
Look I hope he does something and if it provides hope great. I think Long was going to be a lock down defender who would develop his offensive game over the years. I’m aggravated that Long left and where we are headed. This isn’t a thread to take it out on DJ so I will not mention it again. Just disappointed that there seems to be no plan and players keep going out the back door. I though Long was very useful in many game situations.
0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Well we dont know how much better he will be come November.

Look I hope he does something and if it provides hope great. I think Long was going to be a lock down defender who would develop his offensive game over the years. I’m aggravated that Long left and where we are headed. This isn’t a thread to take it out on DJ so I will not mention it again. Just disappointed that there seems to be no plan and players keep going out the back door. I though Long was very useful in many game situations.
There is disappointment but this is on the kid and his family. If his playing time was a problem this year it would definitely be a problem his whole career if he wasn't going to play 25-30 mins minimum. Him and Hammond were all about unrealistic playing time for a freshman. Wish the kid well but now room for a transfer that can come in and take his place.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

and the hits keep coming. wtf?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Cox is saving him to develop not only his game but his body. His shooting ability is uncanny. Saw the kid drain 17 uncontested 3s in warmups. I’m not naive enough to say this will undoubtedly occur on the floor, but he has the ability to shoot. He’s a zone buster.
Spin machine working overtime here. “Saving him” lol, if he was any good he would have been on the court when Rhody was choking away a tournament bid.

As for Long, not a big loss but another indictment of the Cox regime. Long was a liability on the offensive end and was exposed when URI nearly lost at Fordham.

I think the bigger question is what is going on inside the program which is leading to all these transfers and what is Cox going to do to address this. Cox has to answer for this.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will make a friendly wager with anyone that Long ends up at a lower rated school than URI.
He wasn’t a great recruit and if he wants starter playing time he will need to go to a lower level team.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I will make a friendly wager with anyone that Long ends up at a lower rated school than URI.
He wasn’t a great recruit and if he wants starter playing time he will need to go to a lower level team.
I don’t think anyone called him a potential superstar. He might go to a lower level and be a starter. I guess it was another recruiting miss and these guys we bring in can’t develop into good rotational players.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

STC wrote: 4 years ago
Spin machine working overtime here. “Saving him” lol, if he was any good he would have been on the court when Rhody was choking away a tournament bid.

As for Long, not a big loss but another indictment of the Cox regime. Long was a liability on the offensive end and was exposed when URI nearly lost at Fordham.

I think the bigger question is what is going on inside the program which is leading to all these transfers and what is Cox going to do to address this. Cox has to answer for this.
Another childish response.

Spinning what?

Saving, keeping back, benching...whatever term you want to use...that is what he was doing with this kid. That’s what the RS is designated for.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, do we have Mekhi for the simulated tournament?
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This sucks!!!!

Long was already one of the best defenders on the team and made an impact in many games. Every good team has a player like Long.

What the hell is going on? This is our program now?! Don’t get comfortable with any players on the roster.

I miss Dan
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago This sucks!!!!

Long was already one of the best defenders on the team and made an impact in many games. Every good team has a player like Long.

What the hell is going on? This is our program now?! Don’t get comfortable with any players on the roster.

I miss Dan
Would Dan have played him 25-30 minutes a game?

I’ll wait.
Last edited by DC_Rams 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago So, do we have Mekhi for the simulated tournament?
Shepherd played against Fordham in the simulated tournament, so why not?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I miss Dan
Would Dan have played 25-30 minutes a game?

I’ll wait.
Where is the contract that Long and his family put in front of Cox that said we expect 25-30 minutes a game? Why should he answer the question when you don’t answer any? Your way is to just say how someone is childish or has no idea what they are talking about and swear at them. You took off after Dayton embarrassed URI and were no where to be found because even you knew that the performance was embarrassing at home for a team competing for the tournament. People have right to their opinion. Your opinion is that we are headed in the right direction and others don’t feel that way. I like Cox and hope that they turn it around. We have 4 open spots now which is not good at this point of the year.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I miss Dan
Would Dan have played 25-30 minutes a game?

I’ll wait.
Where is the contract that Long and his family put in front of Cox that said we expect 25-30 minutes a game? Why should he answer the question when you don’t answer any? Your way is to just say how someone is childish or has no idea what they are talking about and swear at them. You took off after Dayton embarrassed URI and we’re no where to be found because even you knew that the performance was embarrassing at home for a team competing for the tournament. People have right to their opinion. Your opinion is that we are headed in the right direction and others don’t feel that way. I like Cox and hope that they turn it around. We have 4 open spots now which is not good at this point of the year.
What?
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Mekhi would have played a TJ Buchanan role for likely his whole career. The kind of guy every team needs/wants but finding someone to accept that role is the challenge

The problem has been stated here and it's these kids come into a division 1 school and expect starters minutes. 13 minutes a game as a freshman
is pretty solid and not much less than TJ played during his time here. These kids come into college thinking they are going to play big minutes
right out of the gate and if not they leave.
The only question I haven't seen asked, unless I missed it, is what is Cox promising them during recruiting to get them to commit. Are the unrealistic expectations a function of not telling a kid what he doesn't want to hear and allowing those unrealistic expectations to fester?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Mekhi would have played a TJ Buchanan role for likely his whole career. The kind of guy every team needs/wants but finding someone to accept that role is the challenge

The problem has been stated here and it's these kids come into a division 1 school and expect starters minutes. 13 minutes a game as a freshman
is pretty solid and not much less than TJ played during his time here. These kids come into college thinking they are going to play big minutes
The only question I haven't seen asked, unless I missed it, is what is Cox promising them during recruiting to get them to commit. Are the unrealistic expectations a function of not telling a kid what he doesn't want to hear and allowing those unrealistic expectations to fester?
They are told that they will all compete for PT. If you don’t show and prove in practice, it will be reflected, in the minutes. He’s said that in his radio show a few times.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Mekhi would have played a TJ Buchanan role for likely his whole career. The kind of guy every team needs/wants but finding someone to accept that role is the challenge

They are told that they will all compete for PT. If you don’t show and prove in practice, it will be reflected, in the minutes. He’s said that in his radio show a few times.
That's exactly what should be expected. A legitimate chance to earn playing time. I don't doubt that Cox and his staff have seen what they all can do in practice and if Long's work in practice merited 30 mins a game, he'd have played 30 minutes a game. That's not a knock on Long, just is what it is. No one should be 100% guaranteed playing time before stepping on campus and getting in a few practices. If you are that "can't miss" it will be immediately apparent.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I miss Dan
Would Dan have played him 25-30 minutes a game?

I’ll wait.
Trust me I don’t just miss Dan because of Mekhi Long.

I don’t care how many minutes he would play him. We have no idea how Long would feel playing under Hurley.

Clearly Long thought he should play more under Cox. Didn’t Hammond leave for the same reason? Is Cox promising more minutes to these guys and not delivering? We don’t know...All I know is we just lost another kid I really liked.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where did Hammond wind up?
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago Where did Hammond wind up?
UMASS-LOWELL
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago So, do we have Mekhi for the simulated tournament?
Shepherd played against Fordham in the simulated tournament, so why not?
I missed that game. How did Sheppard look? (Yeah, I'm not well :D )
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I really liked Long as a role player. I would not say that Cox did not give him enough opportunity. It is bad for the program to invest minutes in these players who do not stick around. Cox and the staff have not had a problem with recruiting but we do have a problem with student athlete retention. I hope that the staff as a whole comes up with some solutions to this trend even though its becoming more prevalent across college basketball. Mekhi played good defense but it was better away from the basket compared to in the paint and was looking forward to his improvement with more experience. I wish him well but am not really sure he is making a wise move.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

he played plenty for a freshman, sometimes he looked good, sometimes he looked like a freshman, he's a player in development. If this and the other school jumping, boils down to PT it's too bad he hasn't been encouraged to stick it out and battle for more PT instead of being encouraged to team hop. It feels like he's getting some bad advice.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago I will make a friendly wager with anyone that Long ends up at a lower rated school than URI.
I don’t think anyone called him a potential superstar. He might go to a lower level and be a starter. I guess it was another recruiting miss and these guys we bring in can’t develop into good rotational players.
I really don’t think it was a recruiting miss - read anything about Mekhi when he was in highschool and it said IF he could consistently hit a shot he would be a really good player. I remember an AAU game where the comment was he could have dropped 40 but bricked 15 open shots. With work, maybe by his Junior/senior year his shot starts falling. Maybe never. He was a high floor (because of D) lowing ceiling player. That is not a miss. He saw minutes going down with Ish and Elijah coming in next year, despite the loss of Jeff.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Can we really keep blaming the kids and the AAU culture for all the defections?

Long had no value to the program?
Hammond had no value to the program?
Tate had no value to the program?
Thompson had no value to the program?
Akele had no value to the program?
Plus whoever I forgot?

I know there are valid reasons that all this happened, but at some point there is a bottom line aspect to the situation. I think Cox could be a good coach but it can't be done without players, and this amount of turnover is scary.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Can we really keep blaming the kids and the AAU culture for all the defections?

Plus whoever I forgot?

I know there are valid reasons that all this happened, but at some point there is a bottom line aspect to the situation. I think Cox could be a good coach but it can't be done without players, and this amount of turnover is scary.
All of these guys had value - none of them are starters (at least at the time they left) but thought they should be.

I hate the DH comparisons for transfers. Yes he held onto some guys who probably shouldn’t have been D1 player or even A10 level players with the promise that when EC, JT, Hassan, JG, Stan and Kuran all graduated in a 2 year period. Whoopsie f’n doo. Anyone could do that with that promise of potential time in the future.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Can we really keep blaming the kids and the AAU culture for all the defections?

Plus whoever I forgot?

All of these guys had value - none of them are starters (at least at the time they left) but thought they should be.

I hate the DH comparisons for transfers. Yes he held onto some guys who probably shouldn’t have been D1 player or even A10 level players with the promise that when EC, JT, Hassan, JG, Stan and Kuran all graduated in a 2 year period. Whoopsie f’n doo. Anyone could do that with that promise of potential time in the future.
Disagree. Hurley kept Jarvis Garrett after benching him for Dowtin. Brought SR off the bench. Others too. I didn't bring Hurley into this but I disagree with your argument on this.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

This kid is delusional. He shot 32% from the floor and 51% from the free throw line. The ACC teams must be lining up to get him.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I really don’t think it was a recruiting miss - read anything about Mekhi when he was in highschool and it said IF he could consistently hit a shot he would be a really good player. I remember an AAU game where the comment was he could have dropped 40 but bricked 15 open shots. With work, maybe by his Junior/senior year his shot starts falling. Maybe never. He was a high floor (because of D) lowing ceiling player. That is not a miss. He saw minutes going down with Ish and Elijah coming in next year, despite the loss of Jeff.
I think Long was a very good defensive player who was never going to be a star on the offensive side of the ball, but could have developed into a very solid role player and defensive stopper. In terms of his minutes as others have said before Cox must tell them what his vision is for him when they recruited him in terms of role and the future. I think to discuss a guaranteed minutes is unrealistic. Wood doesn’t play the same position and I really don’t expect that much from him next year. It would be nice to get some continuity. Hopefully we aren’t saying the same thing about Leggett in a couple years.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Plus whoever I forgot?

Hey and maybe Dan or Cox actually thought they'd be better than they ended up being. Sometimes players just dont develop.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I wish him well. I feel like he could've been a solid contributor.
Players need to get impartial advice. I feel like him and others transfer before ever understanding what a great value it could be to them to stay. Life is hard. Adversity is all around. He was given some solid minutes as a "Freshman", but struggled offensively. It's fine. He was only a Freshman. Feel like by Junior year he could've been a big part of the team.
This whole one and done mentality will get players/people no where in life and will only bring them more struggles and more people to blame when what they need to do is look within. People are capable of amazing things...even more amazing than they may think they are capable of, but realizing that and achieving something great will never come without some self analysis and a lot of hard work.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Think he has an issue. He hasn’t been at the same school for two years in a row since his Fr & Soph year of high school

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Think he has an issue. He hasn’t been at the same school for two years in a row since his Fr & Soph year of high school

16-17 McNamara
17-18 Massanutten
18-19 McNamara
19-20 URI
20-21 new college
16-17 he played at St. Mary’s Ryken
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

It is tough going from a starter and big contributor on a high level HS basketball team and then come and have to come off the bench sporadically in college. Mekhi is a good player right now, just was not yet ready to play consistently on a top 35 team.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

This is brutal

Can we not keep any players ???
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Could be a reason why we aren't getting any commits yet by our top targets.

Well know in a few weeks what the future holds when it comes to recruiting for next season.

We whiff, and it's not looking good.
1 x