2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: 2020-21 Schedule (top post is current)

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago With 2019-20 now in the books, has anyone heard anything more about the schedule for 2020-21? Ten of a possible thirteen OOC games seem already accounted for. Would think that, with four true road OOC games already planned (the total # played this past season), that many more (if any) would be extremely unlikely. Would think URI will try to line up more home games and try to get a higher profile name since the home schedule at this point is unimpressive. Would not expect the two home tournament names not yet known to be exciting. Even the road OOC games, besides perhaps Providence, lack sizzle when compared to this past year.
Scheduling is a crapshoot. How many of our opponents looked like quality in November but were nothing in February?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm holding off on season tix until this schedule gets filled. So far, it's abysmal.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What are the games so far?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago What are the games so far?
Home and home with Iona...this season?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Home and home with Iona...this season?
.......or Bryant......or Bunky’s dream......PC.......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Boise State, Saturday 12/5
Brown
Two random games against low level teams as part of the Mohegan Sun tournament
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ahhh Boise, Idaho the land of potatoes
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Brown
Marquette and Minnesota are low level teams?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RIrugger01 wrote: 4 years ago
Brown
Those two games are at Mohegan. They also get two home games against different teams as part of that deal.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think the schedule is pretty good.

Good opportunities and two semi home games against Marquette and Minnesota potentially. Gotta beat one to play the other probably. UCF is the other one of the four. Likely playing Minnesota or Marquette first.

Boise State is usually good.

It's not quite as strong as last year, but I think it's close.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

how many games are on the schedule right now?
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think the schedule is pretty good.

Good opportunities and two semi home games against Marquette and Minnesota potentially. Gotta beat one to play the other probably. UCF is the other one of the four. Likely playing Minnesota or Marquette first.

One of my oldest friends went to Marquette and lives in CT. Our plan is to meet there for the weekend and see at least one of the days. Our selfish hope is that URI doesn't play Marquette in the first game so we won't have to root against each other until the Championship.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIrugger01 wrote: 4 years ago
Brown

It is not a given that URI will play BOTH Marquette and Minnesota at Mohegan Sun. The other team is Central Florida (UCF). Rhody will play two of these three teams. The results of the first day games impact the match-ups for the second day (winners face one another with losers playing the other game).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Home
Saturday 12/5 Boise State
Brown
Hall of Fame Tip Off
Hall of Fame Tip Off

Away
Providence
Harvard
Western Kentucky
Florida Gulf Coast

Neutral
Central Florida, Marquette, or Minnesota at Mohegan Sun

Atlantic 10 tournament at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY

Saturday 11/21 (Probably) Central Florida, Marquette, or Minnesota at Mohegan Sun
Sunday 11/22 (Probably) Central Florida, Marquette, or Minnesota at Mohegan Sun
RR2,

Is this still accurate from when you started this thread?

Looks like 10 games with 3 still left to schedule to hit 31 games. Is that right?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Talk about a shitty home schedule so far.

Need to get 3 home games against no worse than Q2 opponents. Top 100 ideally.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Get on the horn with Iona. That will solve a lot of problems.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think the schedule is pretty good.

The games at Mohegan are not part of the season ticket package. Thus making the Ryan Center home schedule not appealing at all(to date)
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not sure on anyone can think the schedule and especially the home schedule are good for next year. It is a terrible schedule that they must have made that way for the expectations of next years team. This team doesn’t look very good on paper at this point which allows them to get some wins against low end teams
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure on anyone can think the schedule and especially the home schedule are good for next year. It is a terrible schedule that they must have made that way for the expectations of next years team. This team doesn’t look very good on paper at this point which allows them to get some wins against low end teams
Hey look at Dusquene though, didn’t play anyone that good in out of conference but they one there games and got the recognition for it. End of the day win and your in.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago I’m not sure on anyone can think the schedule and especially the home schedule are good for next year. It is a terrible schedule that they must have made that way for the expectations of next years team. This team doesn’t look very good on paper at this point which allows them to get some wins against low end teams
Hey look at Dusquene though, didn’t play anyone that good in out of conference but they one there games and got the recognition for it. End of the day win and your in.
Duquesne wasn’t anywhere close to making the NCAA tourney. You can’t make the tournament in this league without a good non conference schedule or the auto bid in this league.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
Duquesne wasn’t anywhere close to making the NCAA tourney. You can’t make the tournament in this league without a good non conference schedule or the auto bid in this league.
Duquesne was pure cupcake city...and agree with Ramstock, were never in any discussions to be a legimate at-large
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s not true. Duquesne was weak and benefitted early on paper from their weak OOC schedule, this is true. But the reason they were never in the at-large conversation is because they came back to earth in the conference part of the schedule. If they had gone 15-3 in the league they’d have been in - essentially the same exact position as URI, who played a much better OOC but didn’t cash in on their best opportunities.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I disagree with this completely. There is 0 incentive for a P5 (& the BE) school to come to URI to play. Coaches know true road games are hard & they know their SOS will be fine come conference play. So they will play them at a neutral arena as part of a tournament or maybe have them come to their place, but they just aren't going to go on the road. Plus when these P5 schools schedule conference vs conference games like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, these leaves out fewer games for us and other midmajors. This is why when we scheduled WVU we had to play them at a neutral & we had to go to WVU. A10 had to do something, so that is why we are scheduled to play the Mountain West to get some sort of decent non-conference opponent.

Duke is not walking through that (Ryan Center) door. Michigan is not walking through that (Ryan Center) door.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And scheduling becomes even harder for a MM when you aren't a guaranteed Top 75ish team. Remember the schedules of the last couple years were buoyed by games secured during the Hurley years (WVU, Alabama, Western Kentucky), when we had a known commodity of a team and well regarded coach. That stuff matters if you are ever going to get a P5 to come to your home court. They certainly aren't going to travel to potentially lose to a team that could ruin their OOC resume. We had by far the best home OOC schedule than anyone in the league this year, that won't be the norm.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Also, teams are going to see how we blew out Alabama and PC.

That's not necessarily going to help bring any big names in there.

We roll through the cupcakes leading up to the Mohegan games we'll see people in there supporting us.

We will have the home field advantage and we can beat those teams. Especially if we can get some of these bigs/transfers.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Brown
Hall of Fame Tip Off
Hall of Fame Tip Off

Away
Providence
Harvard
Western Kentucky
Florida Gulf Coast

Neutral

Saturday 11/21 (Probably) Central Florida, Marquette, or Minnesota at Mohegan Sun
RR2,

Looks like 10 games with 3 still left to schedule to hit 31 games. Is that right?
That's accurate for everything I've seen publicly announced, I've edited the post as more games get announced
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

spookydog wrote: 4 years ago
I disagree with this completely. There is 0 incentive for a P5 (& the BE) school to come to URI to play. Coaches know true road games are hard & they know their SOS will be fine come conference play. So they will play them at a neutral arena as part of a tournament or maybe have them come to their place, but they just aren't going to go on the road. Plus when these P5 schools schedule conference vs conference games like the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, these leaves out fewer games for us and other midmajors. This is why when we scheduled WVU we had to play them at a neutral & we had to go to WVU. A10 had to do something, so that is why we are scheduled to play the Mountain West to get some sort of decent non-conference opponent.

Duke is not walking through that (Ryan Center) door. Michigan is not walking through that (Ryan Center) door.
You are stating the obvious. The mountain west scheduling was a good move. They need to get creative and play 2 for 1”s, the Mohegan like they have done and try to align themselves with teams from smaller conferences like NC Greensboro, ETSU, Belmont, Murray State, etc. Also play the road games against tough teams with no return. These games at home against the sub 300 teams do nothing for us. No one said it would be easy, but look what almost happened to Richmond. They had a great year and were potentially getting left out. I don’t think they were prepared for the schedule for next year. They had a great schedule for last year, despite some teams not panning out. They couldn’t control that
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

3 left to fill. need some home games. time to get creative. Also do we know the a10 partners for next year yet?
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Brown
Hall of Fame Tip Off
Hall of Fame Tip Off

Away
Providence
Harvard
Western Kentucky
Florida Gulf Coast

Neutral

RR2,

That's accurate for everything I've seen publicly announced, I've edited the post as more games get announced
Thank you for doing this.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

You are stating the obvious. The mountain west scheduling was a good move. They need to get creative and play 2 for 1”s, the Mohegan like they have done and try to align themselves with teams from smaller conferences like NC Greensboro, ETSU, Belmont, Murray State, etc. Also play the road games against tough teams with no return. These games at home against the sub 300 teams do nothing for us. No one said it would be easy, but look what almost happened to Richmond. They had a great year and were potentially getting left out. I don’t think they were prepared for the schedule for next year. They had a great schedule for last year, despite some teams not panning out. They couldn’t control that
No incentive for a P5 school to schedule a 2 for 1 against a high midmajor like the A10. Can only hurt them. Hell even Nevada wanted out of a home & home because they realized URI was good & they didnt want the loss.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

No incentive for a P5 school to schedule a 2 for 1 against a high midmajor like the A10. Can only hurt them. Hell even Nevada wanted out of a home & home because they realized URI was good & they didnt want the loss.
I think it was the opposite. Nevada probably realized we weren't going to be very good so they didn't want to risk losing to us.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URI wasn’t a good team last year. They knew there was nothing to gain by coming across the country to play URI. No one thought that was going to be a quality win. You are right in terms of the games can only them and the fact that P5 schools are hesitant to do even 2 for 1’s unless they get a Dayton or someone they think will be good for several seasons so even a loss goes down as a quad 1 game
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the 12 Teams from the past 3 Hall of Fame Tournaments that represent the caliber of team we can expect to have play in the Ryan Center in November 2020. Teams below in red

Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament 2020
Rhode Island
Minnesota
Marquette
UCF
?
?
?
?

Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament 2019
Virginia
UMASS
Arizona State
St Johns
Rider
Columbia
Vermont
Central Connecticut State

Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament 2018
Michigan
George Washington
South Carolina
Pee Cee
Stony Brook
Holy Cross
Siena
Norfolk State

Hall of Fame Tip Off Tournament 2017
Texas Tech
Boston College
Lasalle
Northwestern
Sacred Heart
Saint Peters
Maine
South Alabama
1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Wouldn't be surprised if we got Temple or Villanova at their place for another Philly game for Fatts
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URI wasn’t a good team last year. They knew there was nothing to gain by coming across the country to play URI. No one thought that was going to be a quality win. You are right in terms of the games can only hurt them and the fact that P5 schools are hesitant to do even 2 for 1’s unless they get a Dayton or someone they think will be good for several seasons so even a loss goes down as a quad 1 game
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

josephski wrote: 4 years ago
I think it was the opposite. Nevada probably realized we weren't going to be very good so they didn't want to risk losing to us.
Sorry. That is correct. But my point still stands, no P5 teams want to play on the road because it doesn't help them.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our chances to dance are low so we should schedule accordingly such as make it worse than last year. Don’t make it too bad like Duquesne make it middle of the road
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Wouldn't be surprised if we got Temple or Villanova at their place for another Philly game for Fatts
I would be shocked. We'll probably be playing at least one game there between either St. Joe's or LaSalle and our schedule is already way too unbalanced with road games
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago 3 left to fill. need some home games. time to get creative. Also do we know the a10 partners for next year yet?
Not yet. That's done in the summer. Last year it was released June 20th
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Would love to see more home and homes with former A10 foes like Temple or Xavier. Not sure if they would.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Would love to see more home and homes with former A10 foes like Temple or Xavier. Not sure if they would.
You can forget Xavier. The Musketeers will not even give its long time rival Dayton a game. Have not played the Flyers once in a regularly scheduled game since they joined the new Big East. X already plays a team (PC) located in RI. They will not be adding others.

Temple might be a more reasonable get. The Owls can not lord it over others as Xavier does as it is now close in stature profile to URI as the Chaney era fades from memory. Have a longer history with them and with UConn no longer their conference partner, Temple will have no annually scheduled games against anyone northeast of them. Given how much travel the AAC requires, they may not want to travel far for OOC games. Biggest drawback is that the Philly Big-5 games (4) already account for a big portion of their OOC slate leaving few other games.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton goes to social media to schedule as one option

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Dayton goes to social media to schedule as one option

St. Mary's or Southern Illinois did this a couple of years ago.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You would think teams would jump at the opportunity to play them ??
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Do that and we have to implement the same bonus system that conference USA has.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given URI seems to have trouble scheduling the maximum number of games many years, a 20 game conference slate might not be the worst thing. The top conferences have or are going to 20. This alone will have eliminated close to 150 OOC game opportunities.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Unless the league drops the dead weight at the bottom -- cough, cough Fordham and Lasalle -- this is not a good thing.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Unless the league drops the dead weight at the bottom -- cough, cough Fordham and Lasalle -- this is not a good thing.
I'm saying the same thing.

Those extra 2 conference games would likely be against the bottom half of the conference.

And the bottom half of the A10 is not a good thing.

We don't need more games against shitty teams.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Need to cut three top play everyone twice.
0 x