The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by giovanni »

Aren't there fairly strong rumors of Marshall heading to Texas?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Anyone who transfers from a mid major like us, will be looking to move up to a P5 school.

Maybe a few will move sideways, but those would be looking for a school closer to home, etc.

We will get either players from lower D1 schools, or guys from P5's unhappy with their PT.

The latter is our best hope of staying competitive,

If the no waiting period rule is passed, the chances that someone leaves increase big time.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I've seen both Brycen Goodine and Noah Fernandes play. Both very good players. I think we recruited both of them.
I agree with this from the little I have seen of both. I have seen Goodine more and I was always very impressed with him at St Andrews, but very physically talent, seemed to be a high level talent the times I have seen him. Noah seemed like a nice little pg also. I know Goodine is from New Bedford, isn't Noah as well? Or at least that area?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I've seen both Brycen Goodine and Noah Fernandes play. Both very good players. I think we recruited both of them.
I agree with this from the little I have seen of both. I have seen Goodine more and I was always very impressed with him at St Andrews, but very physically talent, seemed to be a high level talent the times I have seen him. Noah seemed like a nice little pg also. I know Goodine is from New Bedford, isn't Noah as well? Or at least that area?
Yes, Noah is from Mattapoisett.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are their Freshman Year Stats.
Goodine sturuggled with shooting:
15-50 FG for 30%
3-23 3P for 13%
11-14 FT for 79%
https://cuse.com/sports/mens-basketball ... dine/18538

Fernandes
10-41 FG for 24%
6-22 3P for 27%
11-14 FT for 79%
3-4 FT for 75%
https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-bask ... ts/2019-20
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Here are their Freshman Year Stats.
Goodine sturuggled with shooting:
15-50 FG for 30%
3-23 3P for 13%
11-14 FT for 79%
https://cuse.com/sports/mens-basketball ... dine/18538

Fernandes
10-41 FG for 24%
6-22 3P for 27%
11-14 FT for 79%
3-4 FT for 75%
https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-bask ... ts/2019-20
https://www.southcoasttoday.com/sports/ ... -spotlight
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone who transfers from a mid major like us, will be looking to move up to a P5 school.

Maybe a few will move sideways, but those would be looking for a school closer to home, etc.

We will get either players from lower D1 schools, or guys from P5's unhappy with their PT.

If the no waiting period rule is passed, the chances that someone leaves increase big time.
Historically this is not accurate. Most transfers from the higher mid majors go to a lower rated conference/team. Like Omar.
Of the players that have transferred from URI in the last 10 years, list the ones that have gone to a P5 school.

Right now it seems the transfer portal is heavily weighted with transfers from lower rated teams and some Fr that didn’t do well with the big jump from high school/prep to D1 college play.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Throw history away if they do in the rule to sit out - no reason a top player in the A10 wouldn’t want to go play at Kansas or UNC or fill in the name of school that will more likely get them to the NBA.

The rule change scares me and it should scare all Rhody fans. This is not a change to benefit high mid-majors.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Throw history away if they do in the rule to sit out - no reason a top player in the A10 wouldn’t want to go play at Kansas or UNC or fill in the name of school that will more likely get them to the NBA.

The rule change scares me and it should scare all Rhody fans. This is not a change to benefit high mid-majors.
That's my concern. We get a kid like Ish Leggett in the early signing period as a 3* player. He has a great senior year and makes all DC first team. He comes to URI and has a great freshman season. Then the Big East schools or higher come calling. Very easy for a kid like that to bite when he doesn't have to sit out a year. We become a stepping stone not only for coaches, but for players also.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Throw history away if they do in the rule to sit out - no reason a top player in the A10 wouldn’t want to go play at Kansas or UNC or fill in the name of school that will more likely get them to the NBA.

That's my concern. We get a kid like Ish Leggett in the early signing period as a 3* player. He has a great senior year and makes all DC first team. He comes to URI and has a great freshman season. Then the Big East schools or higher come calling. Very easy for a kid like that to bite when he doesn't have to sit out a year. We become a stepping stone not only for coaches, but for players also.
Absolutely.

I kid like Russell simply moves to PC after his Freshman Or Soph year. He gets to play 2 years in A10 then 2 years in Big East.

Rosters will be changing more often

Then players will be recruited over by Transfers IN so some current Roater players will then move out.

Michell Brothers come in and then Toppin and Harris move out because of the unexpected transfers in.

It’s really going to make the college game worse for me

I hate the 1000+ transfers per year today. My guess is it increases 2 to 3 times.

If a Coach changes then players could immediately go with the outgoing coach and other players immediately come in with the new Coach.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Along with Brycen Goodine, Jalen Carey and Howard Washington transferring out of Syracuse.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Absolutely.

I kid like Russell simply moves to PC after his Freshman Or Soph year. He gets to play 2 years in A10 then 2 years in Big East.

Rosters will be changing more often

Then players will be recruited over by Transfers IN so some current Roater players will then move out.

Michell Brothers come in and then Toppin and Harris move out because of the unexpected transfers in.

It’s really going to make the college game worse for me

I hate the 1000+ transfers per year today. My guess is it increases 2 to 3 times.

If a Coach changes then players could immediately go with the outgoing coach and other players immediately come in with the new Coach.
Hopefully the one time transfer rule will mitigate this theoried vast movement.

If we get the Mitchell twins, theres no reason that Jacob should move on. He's more of a wing and they are centers.

I just want our guy Fatts, everybody back, Sheppard, our good guard recruits and the twins.

We would all be very happy folks.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone who transfers from a mid major like us, will be looking to move up to a P5 school.

Historically this is not accurate. Most transfers from the higher mid majors go to a lower rated conference/team. Like Omar.
Of the players that have transferred from URI in the last 10 years, list the ones that have gone to a P5 school.

Right now it seems the transfer portal is heavily weighted with transfers from lower rated teams and some Fr that didn’t do well with the big jump from high school/prep to D1 college play.

Upward transfers did not happen with great frequency in the past because there were penalties on both sides. The player had to sit out a year and the school had to waste a scholarship it could not put on the floor for a year. Most high level schools had plenty of other good options available to them so they were not as open to transfers in. I think the very recent situation of grad transfers would be a much better point of comparison. Many of these candidates were going to high level schools. They did not have to sit out a year and the school had them available immediately.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another one of our former recruits.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I could live with a rule like this:

1 time transfer with no penalty but only after freshmen year (or 1 year playing time in case of redshirt season). Mid season transfer would still have to wait until the next season.

Grad transfer rule stays.

Any player can immediately transfer without sitting if head coach changes, regardless of class or if they have previously transferred.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I could not agree more. Think of Nick Honor of Fordham, A good but not great guard and transfers with Clemson even though he had to sit one year.

Without sitting out or some control, schools like us would get screwed.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain’t so Jimmy Boehime !!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Where are they going?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Where are they going?
Iona?
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Where are they going?
Iona?
A++
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

The odd thing about the new one-time transfer rule, should it go into effect is this:
It may drive non-P5 schools to actually prefer "recruiting" transfers over high school seniors.
(I put that in quotes because that is exactly what will happen - tampering will be rampant.)

The reason is this: If you get a HS player that blows up, the rule gives them free reign to move.
If you get a transfer in, they cannot transfer again without penalty and thus are less likely to leave.
Last edited by rhodyblue12 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

With the season officially over we are seeing players announce their intention to transfer from their current school....

...Obviously this is so they can land in their new spots while there are open scholarships....when the signing period starts the pool will get smaller....less spots to land....coaches want to solidify their rosters....

...that being said....I think we will know soon which of our current players will want to leave....if any....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good point rhodyblue12
The NCAA rule would say once you transfer once you are locked in. It’s like now we really gotcha.
I think you are right.
Problem is the terrible lack of consistency of the NCAA in managing transfer approvals
Read the Chicago Tribune article I attached. They treated some QBs differently as it was about playing time for them, yet somebody like Luke Ford wanted to move from UGA to Illinois to be near his ailing Grandfather and let him watch him play did not get approved. His Grandfather died without seeing Luke play while Luke sat out.

The Transfer being looked at implementing was Actually developed by the Big10 Conference. The NCAA now looking to implement across Football and Men’s/Women’s Basketball. All other College sports allow transfers with not sit out 1 year penalty.

If implemented then I transfer after Freshman year then my transfer is up. But what if my Junior year my dad gets cancer and my mom needs me Back home, or a new HC comes in and benches me because he over recruited my position, or he doesn’t like me, or he accepts 3 transfers who play over me, etc. All the good reasons to allow transfers.........there will still be cases where a transfer makes perfect sense later, even though I used up my 1 allowed transfer. Maybe you can transfer a second time but then must sit out a year. Not sure I’m not far into the details yet.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

PC losing a handful of seniors so makes sense.
0 x
GO RAMS
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......does Tomas have any role here?.......were we interested in him earlier in his career?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

He didn't impress me in HS. I don't know how much he's improved since then.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Murphy played 4 games this year, but 29.3 MPG, so I'm assuming there is an injury at play. He shot OK his freshman year and very well his sophomore year, but his rebounding rate was pretty low both years for a 6'8" big man. (I'm assuming he's strictly a 5, unless he's gotten significantly faster from his HS days.) We could use an experienced big man body, so if he wants to come, his 3-point shooting would probably make him worth a shot, but he doesn't strike me as the sort of player you make a hard effort to land.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow we going to see a boatloads of transfers baby !!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Boatloads
Every season will be an adventure
Recruiting high schools
Junior college
Grad transfers
Transfers
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

gonna be awesome, baby! The upside is, if your team is bad, you can probably flip it around quicker.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The downside is you could turn it around quicker
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Transfers in college basketball are totally out of control. They are becoming another factor that is killing the game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And they are destined to grow even more
0 x
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Has the transfer with no penalty rule been enacted or is it just a proposal?
I thought it was something being tossed around by the idiots at the NCAA
head quarters.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

The working group is seeking feedback from Division I members through student-athlete representatives, conference offices, impacted coaches' associations and other collegiate athletic professional organizations. The group will take that feedback into the council's April meetings and according to the NCAA release, the group's goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfer in the 2020-21 academic year.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago The working group is seeking feedback from Division I members through student-athlete representatives, conference offices, impacted coaches' associations and other collegiate athletic professional organizations. The group will take that feedback into the council's April meetings and according to the NCAA release, the group's goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfer in the 2020-21 academic year.
The working group is seeking feedback from Division I members through student-athlete representatives, conference offices, impacted coaches' associations and other collegiate athletic professional organizations. The group will take that feedback into the council's April meetings, throw out everything except the Cartel's feedback, and according to the NCAA release, the group's goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfer in the 2020-21 academic year.

Fixed it for you.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

CHICO 78 wrote: 4 years ago Has the transfer with no penalty rule been enacted or is it just a proposal?
I thought it was something being tossed around by the idiots at the NCAA
head quarters.
This is mostly true, except the expectation from everyone close to the situation is that the proposed change will be approved.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Is there still a rumor that Long will/wants to transfer?
0 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

Would it make sense to move this thread over to the recruiting thread? Getting a lot of double posts.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think this works in our favor.