2020-21 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Re: 2020-21 Season

Unread post by DevRam »

I really like the roster next year assuming we land either Mitchell twins or Odusipe. Young bigs like Tre Mitchell and the kid from Fordham are proof that they can have contributing impacts right away. Assuming Fatts works all summer again he will only get that much better. Think about all of the little things he patched up from last year to now. If he does that again I would only expect him to take another big leap. Martin has been looking like a future leader on this team. Jermaine ended the season on a relatively good note. Expect Toppin to put on more size and be that much more effective. Young guards coming in who will provide good depth for the veterans. Walker and Long have shown they can contribute solid minutes off the bench. I would expect our 3 point shooting to improve as well. (Fatts, Sheppard, Martin, D.J. Toppin? Berry?). This season definitely has taught us anything can happen regardless of how the roster is built. The plan is to make the NCAA tournament. I believe next years roster will be fully capable of achieving that. Hoping that the dominoes fall into place, we will see. Go Rams!
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

What if Jeff and Cyril get another year as some are advocating for seniors to get another year? Talk about loaded.
2 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago What if Jeff and Cyril get another year as some are advocating for seniors to get another year? Talk about loaded.
Sounds good in theory but I don’t think it’s very practical. What happens to all of the recruits who have committed to teams anticipating open roster spots. Wish it would be that easy but to many complications would prevent that from happening.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago What if Jeff and Cyril get another year as some are advocating for seniors to get another year? Talk about loaded.
Sounds good in theory but I don’t think it’s very practical. What happens to all of the recruits who have committed to teams anticipating open roster spots. Wish it would be that easy but to many complications would prevent that from happening.
Yeah I think it only would make sense for the spring sport teams.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Would think few spring athletes are on full scholarships at a place such as URI. Much of the cost would therefore be on them. I can't imagine many would go this route unless they were already planning on pursuing graduate degrees.
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Baseball and softball teams definitely have players on full rides.

As for above concerns about incoming freshman and scholarship availability. I would think the NCAA would have to offer exemptions to schools. But who knows this is going to be a very fluid situation. Uncharted territory
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Would think few spring athletes are on full scholarships at a place such as URI. Much of the cost would therefore be on them. I can't imagine many would go this route unless they were already planning on pursuing graduate degrees.
If they can't get contracts, or the NCAA excercized a grad-year exemption for seniors to play at the same school, I would LOVE a 2nd go around with this Rhody team, a deep bench, and Sheppard.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Well, we do still have scholarships available for Cyril and Jeff....
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago I really like the roster next year assuming we land either Mitchell twins or Odusipe. Young bigs like Tre Mitchell and the kid from Fordham are proof that they can have contributing impacts right away. Assuming Fatts works all summer again he will only get that much better. Think about all of the little things he patched up from last year to now. If he does that again I would only expect him to take another big leap. Martin has been looking like a future leader on this team. Jermaine ended the season on a relatively good note. Expect Toppin to put on more size and be that much more effective. Young guards coming in who will provide good depth for the veterans. Walker and Long have shown they can contribute solid minutes off the bench. I would expect our 3 point shooting to improve as well. (Fatts, Sheppard, Martin, D.J. Toppin? Berry?). This season definitely has taught us anything can happen regardless of how the roster is built. The plan is to make the NCAA tournament. I believe next years roster will be fully capable of achieving that. Hoping that the dominoes fall into place, we will see. Go Rams!
I don’t want to come across as negative but every year, once our season has ended (or when it is known we will not make the NCAA tourney) this forum starts with the comments of how our team is loaded for next season. How they expect each player to take giant leaps forward because of experience and working on their games throughout the summer and the newcomers are game changers. We will make the NCAA next year. Every one of the 13 players on, or expected to be on the team will contribute, even if nothing from the current season indicates they will.

As of now we haven’t signed the Mitchell twins, Odusipe or Berry. Who knows if Shepard will be eligible? Can’t see DJ helping much unless our last 3 recruits aren’t ready to contribute. That leaves us with:
Fatts And Martin we know what to expect
Harris - needs to show more of what he did the last 2 games. Is he ready to contribute 20+ minutes a game?
Walker - undersized PF. Can he be counted on to provide starter minutes and numbers?
Long - defensively good but can he be more of a scoring option?
Toppin - I expect much improvement because of his athleticism
Leggett - hoping and thinking he can be in the rotation from day 1
Wood - if we’re counting on him it’s likely we struck out on our last 3 recruits or Shepard is ineligible.

I think even though we return a strong core, these last 3 recruits are crucial to our success next year. Need a consistent knockdown shooter. Looking at his numbers the last few games, seems Berry can be that. We also desperately need size down low to defend and be able to score. The Mitchell twins seem to fit that bill. If we’re able to get these 3 guys, I definitely think we can be a very good team.
1 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago
DevRam wrote: 4 years ago I really like the roster next year assuming we land either Mitchell twins or Odusipe. Young bigs like Tre Mitchell and the kid from Fordham are proof that they can have contributing impacts right away. Assuming Fatts works all summer again he will only get that much better. Think about all of the little things he patched up from last year to now. If he does that again I would only expect him to take another big leap. Martin has been looking like a future leader on this team. Jermaine ended the season on a relatively good note. Expect Toppin to put on more size and be that much more effective. Young guards coming in who will provide good depth for the veterans. Walker and Long have shown they can contribute solid minutes off the bench. I would expect our 3 point shooting to improve as well. (Fatts, Sheppard, Martin, D.J. Toppin? Berry?). This season definitely has taught us anything can happen regardless of how the roster is built. The plan is to make the NCAA tournament. I believe next years roster will be fully capable of achieving that. Hoping that the dominoes fall into place, we will see. Go Rams!
I don’t want to come across as negative but every year, once our season has ended (or when it is known we will not make the NCAA tourney) this forum starts with the comments of how our team is loaded for next season. How they expect each player to take giant leaps forward because of experience and working on their games throughout the summer and the newcomers are game changers. We will make the NCAA next year. Every one of the 13 players on, or expected to be on the team will contribute, even if nothing from the current season indicates they will.

As of now we haven’t signed the Mitchell twins, Odusipe or Berry. Who knows if Shepard will be eligible? Can’t see DJ helping much unless our last 3 recruits aren’t ready to contribute. That leaves us with:
Harris - needs to show more of what he did the last 2 games. Is he ready to contribute 20+ minutes a game?
Walker - undersized PF. Can he be counted on to provide starter minutes and numbers?
Wood - if we’re counting on him it’s likely we struck out on our last 3 recruits or Shepard is ineligible.

I think even though we return a strong core, these last 3 recruits are crucial to our success next year. Need a consistent knockdown shooter. Looking at his numbers the last few games, seems Berry can be that. We also desperately need size down low to defend and be able to score. The Mitchell twins seem to fit that bill. If we’re able to get these 3 guys, I definitely think we can be a very good team.
I don’t think people have been wrong the last few years saying that we are an NCAA team. Aside from Cox’s first season which idk if anybody thought we would make the tourney that year. Before we had Back to back tourneys with Hurley, then a rebuilding and in experienced team in Cox’s first year and then this years team definitely had the potential to make a run. I will say it is reasonable to predict that we will have a competitive possible tourney team next season, bearing any drastic roster movement and assuming we land some of our top targets.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

DevRam wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody22 wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think people have been wrong the last few years saying that we are an NCAA team. Aside from Cox’s first season which idk if anybody thought we would make the tourney that year. Before we had Back to back tourneys with Hurley, then a rebuilding and in experienced team in Cox’s first year and then this years team definitely had the potential to make a run. I will say it is reasonable to predict that we will have a competitive possible tourney team next season, bearing any drastic roster movement and assuming we land some of our top targets.

2 years ago with the incoming class of Martin, Harris, Tate and Silverio and the return of Fatts, Jeff and Cyril, most thought we would be strong and challenge for the postseason. Wasn’t even close.

Before this season started, we thought not losing anybody and adding Long, Toppin, Walker, Shepard and DJ we were certain to dance. Other than Toppin (and he was no game changer) the others gave us nothing (DJ, Shepard) or gave us inconsistency (Walker, Long). We weren’t dancing without the autobid which was a tall task.

Now we are already hyping next years team with guys we don’t even have yet. (If my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle.)
I agree that with some good recruits, we can be a very good team, but it will depend on who we get, how everyone gels and most importantly on everybody’s development, including Cox and staff. I get excited about the potential just like every other guy/gal, but let’s temper expectations until we see the roster and see the boys in action.
3 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like everything else going on in the world right now, there's way too much uncertainty about our prospects for next season.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Like everything else going on in the world right now, there's way too much uncertainty about our prospects for next season.
......just saw local sports report, “ncaa shut down recruiting for one month.....l”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Without a legitimate center and a pure shooter, the only thing about next season that will be loaded is me, because that’s the only way I could bear to look at the roster.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Without a legitimate center and a pure shooter, the only thing about next season that will be loaded is me, because that’s the only way I could bear to look at the roster.
......ya mean you don’t see anything better than, say16-15......?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Without a legitimate center and a pure shooter, the only thing about next season that will be loaded is me, because that’s the only way I could bear to look at the roster.
We are going to get a true center and Sheppard is a legit shooter. So are Leggett and Wood.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Kind of a weird parallel: but you know what other team had a 13-5 conference record, 21-9 total record, a senior center playing with passion, a 4th year guard starting out slow and finishing strong, and a junior guard starting to take the reins? I'm talking about the 2016-17 and 2019-20 Rams. The parallels were Hassan/Cyril, E.C./Dowtin, Jared/Fatts. That former team ended up with the A10 conference tourney title and the first berth in 18 years, TBD what this team would have done. Just because we struggled down the stretch, let's not minimize that this year was a very good team.

But looking into the future, the 2017-18 Rams had one of the best regular seasons in program history. Dowtin is leaving so I can't make the parallel with E.C./Terrell just bringing it that whole season. But equating Fatts with Jared (not a stretch seeing as Fatts was 1st team THIS year) what if Martin develops and plays like a 5th year E.C., Harris starts to "get it" to the level of soph Cyril, and Walker gets his feet under him and plays like Stanford Robinson (similar situation) after he got over the 1st year confusion as a transfer?

I am very bullish on next year's team if things fall together. We just CAN'T have a 7-8 man team like we rode out through much of this year. I wan't 9-10 playable guys this coming season.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
We are going to get a true center and Sheppard is a legit shooter. So are Leggett and Wood.
I’ll believe it when they’re in uniform in November.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

This is an underrated comment lmao
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We all should be freaking out watching the second half of our game against Fordham right now....
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago We all should be freaking out watching the second half of our game against Fordham right now....
Langevine vs Soriano - I was so looking forward to that match up

Langevine who didn't make an All Conference Team and Soriano who no doubt should have made All Rookie.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Kind of a weird parallel: but you know what other team had a 13-5 conference record, 21-9 total record, a senior center playing with passion, a 4th year guard starting out slow and finishing strong, and a junior guard starting to take the reins? I'm talking about the 2016-17 and 2019-20 Rams. The parallels were Hassan/Cyril, E.C./Dowtin, Jared/Fatts. That former team ended up with the A10 conference tourney title and the first berth in 18 years, TBD what this team would have done. Just because we struggled down the stretch, let's not minimize that this year was a very good team.

But looking into the future, the 2017-18 Rams had one of the best regular seasons in program history. Dowtin is leaving so I can't make the parallel with E.C./Terrell just bringing it that whole season. But equating Fatts with Jared (not a stretch seeing as Fatts was 1st team THIS year) what if Martin develops and plays like a 5th year E.C., Harris starts to "get it" to the level of soph Cyril, and Walker gets his feet under him and plays like Stanford Robinson (similar situation) after he got over the 1st year confusion as a transfer?

I am very bullish on next year's team if things fall together. We just CAN'T have a 7-8 man team like we rode out through much of this year. I wan't 9-10 playable guys this coming season.
That’s interesting that those 2 teams had the same record

That’s a classic example of one team coming on at end of season and seizing opportunity and the other team blowing a berth

Classic example of a DH coaches team coming on end of season
0 x