Ivy to Cancel Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Ivy to Cancel Tournament

Unread post by steviep123 »

From Rothstein:

(Mods, feel free to change this subject to a general tournament cancellation thread if need be (hopefully it won't be necessary)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Ivy to Cancel Tournament

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m all about taking precautions in dealing with a pandemic, but can’t they play the games without the crowds? Seems like bullshit to change the rules of who qualifies for the tournament at the end. If I were Harvard, Princeton or Penn then I would riot.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Interesting choice to outright cancel rather than go fan-less. Would have only been 3 games.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

WTF? So no ivy league tourney because of the virus but lets send Yale to another tournament? Whats the difference? Better not cancel all tournaments.
4 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

I agree. I would have thought the choice would have been to play in front of an empty arena. That would have not been unprecedented.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This is so incredibly fucking stupid.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago This is so incredibly fucking stupid.
The Ivy League only started having the post season tournaments for the top 4 teams in men’s and women’s in 2017, so it’s not so drastic a move anyway.

This would have only been their third year

Doubt they get a ton of fans anyway.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....the radio update I heard was that the BE is going on as planned....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
The Ivy League only started having the post season tournaments for the top 4 teams in men’s and women’s in 2017, so it’s not so drastic a move anyway.

All they had to do was play the games without fans.

This coronavirus panic is SO ANNOYING.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

If Big East goes on as planned the A10 HAS to also. It isn't fair to shut down 2 huge tournaments. So much money lost.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Completely agree. I read where a prominent doctor said that 99.7% of people who get the virus recover.

Sure there's a higher risk if you're older and have other health issue, but that's with the regular flu too.

And 60,000 people in this country die every year from the flu.

What are we to do, crawl under a rock? This isn't the black plague!

Ridiculous.

Anybody with a lot of money in stocks, especially those who are retired or about to, are getting hammered.

The media is feeding this panic.

If major tournaments are shut down then the NCAA tourney will have to shut down too.

Along with just about every major sporting event.

Zero common sense is being used here.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really sucks for the kids on these teams.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And the decisions to play sports in front of no fans is also ridiculous.

If I was a player I would refuse to play.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......A-10 site has, that they are monitoring the virus and the Tournament is on as scheduled......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

My alma mater WPI played its D3 NCAA Tournament game at an empty gym at Johns Hopkins. No spectators were allowed. Three WPI players chose not to travel with the team.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago

Completely agree. I read where a prominent doctor said that 99.7% of people who get the virus recover.

Sure there's a higher risk if you're older and have other health issue, but that's with the regular flu too.

And 60,000 people in this country die every year from the flu.

What are we to do, crawl under a rock? This isn't the black plague!

Ridiculous.

Anybody with a lot of money in stocks, especially those who are retired or about to, are getting hammered.

The media is feeding this panic.

If major tournaments are shut down then the NCAA tourney will have to shut down too.

Along with just about every major sporting event.

Zero common sense is being used here.
Of course you want to be informed, but there are attempts to push this as the second coming of the black plague.

Basically, if you are over 70 and have some significant health problems, specifically respiratory you are at risk of dying.

Now if a bunch of people get sick it will effect hospitals dramatically. In Italy which has the second oldest population in the world, people are sick at a higher rate and they're running out of beds.

It's definitely an issue that's a little worse than we've seen in a while, but not something we should shut down gigantic sporting events over.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Harvard is suspending live classes and forcing students to vacate their dorms and campus after spring break. Students are being asked to continue studies on line for the rest of the semester.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

If theres a league that could afford not to cancel it's the ivy league.

They're playing at Harvard's arena which holds just 1,636 people!!!!

If the coronavirus is going to spread it's going to spread at all these vastly larger tournaments and they'll get coronavirus anyway!
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Reading above and my social media feed (my mistake actually) I think a lot of the public is misunderstanding the threat of this virus. Just because the mortality rate is "low" (it will probably fall to still a multiple of the flu which is 0.1% to 0.2%) doesn't mean the resources are there to treat everyone who becomes sick. The spread in countries who have tracked it before us increases exponentially week over week. This is not like the flu where it has evened out over time to a relatively smooth bell curve without a sharp or exponential component like COVID-19.

It's a case of math and overwhelming the medical system. If COVID-19 can be slowed down through lack of huge gatherings, quarantining, sanitary precautions, etc., you are talking about minimizing the peaks of people sick at one time and smoothing out the curve. If very little preventative measures are done, and knowing that at least through the first round of known cases this illness causes a greater proportion of hospitalization and ICU visits than the flu, it overwhelms the hospitals. As a nation we do not have a hospital bed for every 10 or even 100 people. And the flare-ups are localized, so if you picture our state (RI) being in the throes of the virus, know that the state only has 2,400 total hospital beds which are not all sitting empty right now. To steal a sentiment I heard elsewhere, it's not like the excess hospital beds in Iowa where the virus hasn't arrived yet will help someone in a coastal city where the virus is spreading.

Sorry to derail into this tangent, carry on!
10 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CUT PANIC BAIT!

Wash yer hands!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m not going to get hyper-political here, but downplaying the threat of the virus is dangerous. Not interested in debating it but putting a marker down: as this thing picks up steam and more and more events are cancelled this board isn’t going to be a place where we help spread misinformation about the seriousness of the situation. I will remove that stuff from the board.

Having said that, it’s dumb they canceled the games but totally understandable if some of these tournaments are played in empty arenas.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Disney World is still open. So there's that. I'm more concerned about the Newport Paddy's Day parade. Got people flying in all over for that.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Our trip to Israel was postponed a year. It’s affecting a lot of people.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Disney World is still open. So there's that. I'm more concerned about the Newport Paddy's Day parade. Got people flying in all over for that.
My sister in law is 7mos. pregnant and she was okay’d to fly to Disney last weekend.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Disney World is still open. So there's that. I'm more concerned about the Newport Paddy's Day parade. Got people flying in all over for that.
Boston already cancelled theirs ...
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Our kid's school trip to Spain was cancelled. Supposed to be next month. Huge chafe as we are going away the same week on vacation.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
But the Boston Marathon is still on. Go figure.
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
But the Boston Marathon is still on. Go figure.
The marathon is a month after St Paddy’s day. They’ll cancel it in a couple weeks if things don’t improve.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Pretty sure that got canceled yesterday.

Edit: actually never mind, it's getting decided tonight
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago

Could be cancelled soon

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/wi ... s/2088515/
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

To be fair to the Ivy League Harvard is telling students not to come back from spring break and the tournament is at Harvard so there’s more to just canceling the tournament.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

They let alligators eat 3 year old boys at Disney, but the coronavirus is a no-go? I guess even Disney has limits to their bottom line
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

josephski wrote: 4 years ago

Could be cancelled soon

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/wi ... s/2088515/
The parade is on. Can't keep the Irish down!!!!!!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

In nearby Massachusetts: MIT, Smith College, Mt Holyoke, and Amherst College are following the action of Harvard and closing their campuses and sending students home. All classes until the end of the semester will be on line.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago In nearby Massachusetts: MIT, Smith College, Mt Holyoke, and Amherst College are following the action of Harvard and closing their campuses and sending students home. All classes until the end of the semester will be on line.
Yet they live in the dorms together and go to the dining hall together but can't go to class together? People are losing their minds.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Harvard (where the Ivy Tourney was being held) is closing down so that probably had something to do with the cancellation.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago In nearby Massachusetts: MIT, Smith College, Mt Holyoke, and Amherst College are following the action of Harvard and closing their campuses and sending students home. All classes until the end of the semester will be on line.
Yet they live in the dorms together and go to the dining hall together but can't go to class together? People are losing their minds.
They are kicking them out of the dorms and sending them home.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So people have to fly back to China, Tokyo, Italy and everywhere else they live?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So people have to fly back to China, Tokyo, Italy and everywhere else they live?
Students will not be allowed to stay on campus after March 15 unless they get permission.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......classes end, maybe the grades stand for the semester......? Sounds similar to the sudden end of semester in 1970?.....due to nation wide campus disruptions from the Kent State shootings......do I have my history correct?.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So people have to fly back to China, Tokyo, Italy and everywhere else they live?
Students will not be allowed to stay on campus after March 15 unless they get permission.
So they have to fly home? WTF is that? Probably be safer in Cambridge for sure.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The ACC tourney has started....and the BE, AAC, and A10 tourneys are a go.

You have to wonder about the NCAA tourney though. I'm sure they will play it, but if it's without fans, will be a strange sight.

The NIT, since it depends on revenue from paying customers even though it's now run by the NCAA, could be a casualty?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What I'm really concerned about though, is if the number of confirmed cases rises substantially over the next few weeks, the entire US economy could grind to a halt. The domino effect has already started.

Major recession if that happens.

Of course, around here I haven't seen much evidence yet of gas prices coming down much.

Thieves.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Agree. Dispersing possibly infected persons even wider? It would’ve made more sense keeping them together.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

Agree. Dispersing possibly infected persons even wider? It would’ve made more sense keeping them together.
I think this is correct - the prudent move would have been to cancel spring break
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago

I think this is correct - the prudent move would have been to cancel spring break
The students would go home eventually anyway. Finishing the semester on-line is growing in Boston.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... utType=amp
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Big West and MAC Close their Tournaments to fans

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... s-concerns
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Washington state governor bans all gatherings and events of more than 250 people in the Seattle metro area...the MLB Seattle Mariners games may be impacted.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/28 ... ing-events
0 x