Projo UMass

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Projo UMass

Unread post by Mark Macon »

So, they get a stringer to cover the game that is an hour+ from their home office.

They've given up on Rhody this year, no doubt. Koch is on to the miserable Red Sox.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Re: Projo UMass

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Koch was at his brother’s wedding
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago So, they get a stringer to cover the game that is an hour+ from their home office.

They've given up on Rhody this year, no doubt. Koch is on to the miserable Red Sox.
No. Koch had in his Twitter his reason for missing before the game was played. Give the guy a break.

4 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

So, no other ProJo reporters could travel the hour to the game? Nobody left in the newsroom these days? Would that happen with PC if Kevin M. was at a wedding? Think not.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Projo owes URI nothing
3 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Except for doing their job.
1 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

To be fair, there is nobody left in the newsroom, so it makes sense.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Perfectly makes sense.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago To be fair, there is nobody left in the newsroom, so it makes sense.
Literally this. Bill is a hard working dude. I’m sure this Red Sox season will suck, but too bad Projo couldn’t have even had someone but it is what it is.
2 x
Mark Macon
Abdul Fox

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago To be fair, there is nobody left in the newsroom, so it makes sense.
Literally this. Bill is a hard working dude. I’m sure this Red Sox season will suck, but too bad Projo couldn’t have even had someone but it is what it is.
Bill is a hard-working guy. No doubt. Enjoy his coverage. I did not initially know about any wedding. Guess it's just the ProJo track record of hiring stringers for URI away games. I hope the Chicken dance was fun.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago
Bill is a hard-working guy. No doubt. Enjoy his coverage. I did not initially know about any wedding. Guess it's just the ProJo track record of hiring stringers for URI away games. I hope the Chicken dance was fun.
I would sincerely hope no one would even consider doing the Chicken Dance in this day and age.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

How about the "electric slide" instead?

OR the "Macarena"?

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago So, no other ProJo reporters could travel the hour to the game? Nobody left in the newsroom these days? Would that happen with PC if Kevin M. was at a wedding? Think not.
It's not like they've been on the URI beat for the season, so, you might as well use a stringer. Why disrupt what other staffers are doing? Especially since URI has been swooning. I also imagine that if they sent KMac, someone would have made a thread complaining about that too.

I got laid off from Gatehouse last year, so, it's not like I have great love for them. But there are enough legitimate issues about the company and what they're doing to journalism without having to stretch for them.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago So, no other ProJo reporters could travel the hour to the game? Nobody left in the newsroom these days? Would that happen with PC if Kevin M. was at a wedding? Think not.
It's not like they've been on the URI beat for the season, so, you might as well use a stringer. Why disrupt what other staffers are doing? Especially since URI has been swooning. I also imagine that if they sent KMac, someone would have made a thread complaining about that too.

I got laid off from Gatehouse last year, so, it's not like I have great love for them. But there are enough legitimate issues about the company and what they're doing to journalism without having to stretch for them.
KMac was at the PC Game at 6:30pm Saturday Night
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In threads like this, I always ask those bitching and moaning:

Are you a customer? Do you subscribe? Do you pay the $16 a month for the digital subscription? If you do, fair play - complain away even if you don't understand the basics of supply and demand.

If you are not - because every time I ask that question it's answered with "what a RAG why would I pay to read it?" or something to that affect.

It's not a public utility. It's not funded by your tax dollars. It's a business. They have more paying customers who click/read about PC than URI. Want to change that? Subscribe and click on every URI related article? Tell your URI friends to do the same. Otherwise STFU.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Mark Macon wrote: 4 years ago So, they get a stringer to cover the game that is an hour+ from their home office.

I debated just leaving this alone and not responding. Some folks followed up and filled in a couple gaps -- many thanks for that. It is much appreciated.

I would say this -- my email is bkoch@providencejournal.com. My Twitter account is open @BillKoch25. I don't really feel like I'm hiding from anybody. I would have been happy to provide some information on this and more from a personal or industry perspective if contacted.

So with that in mind, I'm pretty clear on why folks like 'Mark Macon' come on the board and post something like this. You're not genuinely seeking answers. You're looking to incite the mob against me and my employer in what you think will be a favorable venue -- a place where I was once described as the fatter, dumber version of Kevin McNamara.

Saturday was a great day for me and my family. This won't take anything away from it, but it's certainly not going to be forgotten.
12 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago

I debated just leaving this alone and not responding. Some folks followed up and filled in a couple gaps -- many thanks for that. It is much appreciated.

I would say this -- my email is bkoch@providencejournal.com. My Twitter account is open @BillKoch25. I don't really feel like I'm hiding from anybody. I would have been happy to provide some information on this and more from a personal or industry perspective if contacted.

So with that in mind, I'm pretty clear on why folks like 'Mark Macon' come on the board and post something like this. You're not genuinely seeking answers. You're looking to incite the mob against me and my employer in what you think will be a favorable venue -- a place where I was once described as the fatter, dumber version of Kevin McNamara.

Saturday was a great day for me and my family. This won't take anything away from it, but it's certainly not going to be forgotten.
Bill, I for one, really hope you enjoyed you day with your family. Those days are precious and unfortunately too few.

Looked to me like some on the Board continue to suffer with red headed stepchild syndrome...(and by the way I love red heads!)
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago

Bill, I for one, really hope you enjoyed you day with your family. Those days are precious and unfortunately too few.

Looked to me like some on the Board continue to suffer with red headed stepchild syndrome...(and by the way I love red heads!)
Bill, I hope the drinks were plentiful and that you had a fantastic time. You’ve actually quoted me in the Projo on my diehard Rhody fandom and I thank you for that, once I write my memoir I’ll be referencing that.

I can’t say that your job would ever to be a cheerleader for the team (that’s our job). You work hard at what you do.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What went into the decision to use a stringer for this game as opposed to using Eric Rueb to take your place as a one off?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

What went into the decision to use a stringer for this game as opposed to using Eric Rueb to take your place as a one off?
How about not questioning Bill on this. The game was won.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

That's not Bill's decision to make, but - Girls' Division basketball titles were Saturday, and boys were Sunday, so I imagine Eric's weekend was already accounted for. It makes way more sense to use a stringer for UMass-URI.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope Bill had a great time with his family at the wedding. He had indicated several weeks before that he would not cover the URI at UMass game for this reason. I have no problem with him having a family commitment. I however am disappointed that the Projo decided not to send any of its other staff members to a game that was relatively close by and pitted the flagship state universities of the two states that make up the paper's coverage market.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I am just glad Fatts was there.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

What goes into any decisions the projo management makes is no ones business. Your business in this matter as Blueman points out is either purchase or do not purchase the product. Why ask Bill about projo management decisions on this forum? I'm sure you realize he's a reporter not the person managing reporters. Direct your questions to the Providence Journal, not on this forum and if you are a subscriber they might pay attention. People going after BK for having a life, PLEASE stop making me stupid by association.

Bill Koch, please accept our personal apologies for the few errant voices placing their irrational distrust on these pages.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago I hope Bill had a great time with his family at the wedding. He had indicated several weeks before that he would not cover the URI at UMass game for this reason. I have no problem with him having a family commitment. I however am disappointed that the Projo decided not to send any of its other staff members to a game that was relatively close by and pitted the flagship state universities of the two states that make up the paper's coverage market.
One hundred percent on this. And that's not Bill's fault, nor should anyone here attack him for it. It's ok to question projo's decision to go with a stringer instead of sending someone in Bill's place. It is not okay to attack bill or any other reporter for the projo's decision.

I'm glad Bill came on here to write what he did and give us a forum to constructively disagree with projo's decisions without attacking a reporter. While we don't always need to agree with projo's decisions, they aren't always with the intent to diminish URI and we certainly shouldn't be attacking Bill over it.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago What goes into any decisions the projo management makes is no ones business. Your business in this matter as Blueman points out is either purchase or do not purchase the product. Why ask Bill about projo management decisions on this forum? I'm sure you realize he's a reporter not the person managing reporters. Direct your questions to the Providence Journal, not on this forum and if you are a subscriber they might pay attention. People going after BK for having a life, PLEASE stop making me stupid by association.

Bill Koch, please accept our personal apologies for the few errant voices placing their irrational distrust on these pages.
Well said. This thread is embarrassing.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago What goes into any decisions the projo management makes is no ones business. Your business in this matter as Blueman points out is either purchase or do not purchase the product. Why ask Bill about projo management decisions on this forum? I'm sure you realize he's a reporter not the person managing reporters. Direct your questions to the Providence Journal, not on this forum and if you are a subscriber they might pay attention. People going after BK for having a life, PLEASE stop making me stupid by association.

Our? You don't speak for me, especially with this dumb post. Bill has come on here in the past and explained how the ProJo decides to cover things, which means it's absolutely relevant and fair to ask what went into this decision, especially as a consumer of the product. There hasn't been one person that attacked Bill for not going to the game, every question has been why was there a stringer at the game and you'll also notice Bill, in his post in this thread said, "I would have been happy to provide some information on this and more from a personal or industry perspective if contacted."

I know reading comprehension has never exactly been your thing and that you just support or put down a poster depending on if you like them or not, but you should really try it sometime
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Weird, you also said this in the thread:

"Literally this. Bill is a hard working dude. I’m sure this Red Sox season will suck, but too bad Projo couldn’t have even had someone but it is what it is."

It feels like you're questioning the ProJo on this, as am I. Bill has come on here and answered questions about how the ProJo handles assignments, I don't feel it's some giant attack to question why there was a stringer sent to this particular game when there was at least one sports writer that seems to have either been unassigned or assigned to a lesser assignment like high school sports
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Weird, you also said this in the thread:

"Literally this. Bill is a hard working dude. I’m sure this Red Sox season will suck, but too bad Projo couldn’t have even had someone but it is what it is."

It feels like you're questioning the ProJo on this, as am I. Bill has come on here and answered questions about how the ProJo handles assignments, I don't feel it's some giant attack to question why there was a stringer sent to this particular game when there was at least one sports writer that seems to have either been unassigned or assigned to a lesser assignment like high school sports
Nah it’s not weird. I didn’t question it I said “too bad” and “it is what is is”. That’s not a question.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Well in the page layout even with stringer coverage we got the headline.

Bill’s a good beatwriter and he had a family event.

Should we send somebody else to cover a crappy team that plays in a hockey rink? (albeit one of our 4 longest running rivals)

Not seeing much of a fuss here on this one...
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Our? You don't speak for me, especially with this dumb post. Bill has come on here in the past and explained how the ProJo decides to cover things, which means it's absolutely relevant and fair to ask what went into this decision, especially as a consumer of the product. There hasn't been one person that attacked Bill for not going to the game, every question has been why was there a stringer at the game and you'll also notice Bill, in his post in this thread said, "I would have been happy to provide some information on this and more from a personal or industry perspective if contacted."

I know reading comprehension has never exactly been your thing and that you just support or put down a poster depending on if you like them or not, but you should really try it sometime
I formally did not address this post to you because it is includes commentary on the thread's premise which is to accuse Bill Koch of moving on to Red Sox coverage and was not your statement. The portion of the post prompted by you includes the words "on this forum" so, with your amazing powers of reading comprehension you have totally ignored my point. Good work.

As far as offering apologies, I'm sure Bill knows who is included in the "our" group and who is not. I don't speak for anyone, either you believe this is the right forum to address this drivel or you feel Bill shouldn't have to be engaged about it here. Bill has offered ways to get in touch with him that don't include public forum access.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If anyone is actually mad at Koch for taking a day off for his brothers wedding, those people have serious issues.
3 x
Go Rhody
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Why aren't the "attack" or "mad" posts quoted? Were they deleted?
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

whatever, it's not some big deal, it's just a bad looking thread, Koch has been awesome in the fact that he comes here directly, it's been known for a while that he was going to miss a few games in favor of family (wedding, bachelor party) because he addressed it in a previous thread, a thread which was also based on rash assumptions, Bill was kind enough to engage the forum at that time.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!