2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

You guys are just negative nancies -- If URI is 21-9 entering the A10T, accumulating no additional Q3/Q4 losses, they should be fine. The bubble is charmin soft this year. They just need to avoid a Q3/Q4 loss at all costs.
Losing 3 of our last 6 games would likely not even get us One of the valued first 4 team seeds to get the bye in the A10 Tournament.
We would have 5 A10 losses if we lose 3 more games. We would not have the tiebreaker with Richmond. We would have to at least get to the Championship Game and probably would have to win it if we had 5 A10 losses. Maybe if we lost to Dayton in the Championship Game but it could not be a blow out.
I just think you are giving too much credit to the other bubble teams. I think many of those teams can do just enough to remain relevant, but I don't see any of them blowing by URI at this point. Is Stanford, Xavier, Indiana, Virginia, Arizona St., Cincy, Miss St., Minnesota, Memphis, Georgetown etc going to get red-hot and zoom right by URI? Probably not. Yes, some of those teams might pick up a really nice win or two. They'll also probably pile up their own losses. URI has solidified themselves enough at this point to look like a solid tournament team to most people. If they win on Saturday, I would be shocked if they aren't showing up in many brackets as a weaker 8-seed next week on BM. I'm sorry at that point I don't buy them falling 15-16+ spots in losses to 3 decent teams, including one truly great team. That may leave them wanting to do work in the A10T because of bid-stealers, etc, but that is a different story.
Well,
The negative nancies were right. 3 losses could not cut it

Lost to Dayton, SLU and Davidson while avoiding the bad losses to St Joseph’s, Fordham and UMASS. But not even close to being safely in the Dance.
Wish you had been right, but 3 losses was never possible to endure.

No Charmin Bubble could be that soft to absorb those 3 defeats.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Agree Ramstock. No way URI is in if they finish 3-3. Doesn’t even matter who the 3 wins or losses are against. 3-3 just won’t cut it.
You guys are just negative nancies -- If URI is 21-9 entering the A10T, accumulating no additional Q3/Q4 losses, they should be fine. The bubble is charmin soft this year. They just need to avoid a Q3/Q4 loss at all costs. The Brown loss sucks, but all of their other losses have been to legit NCAA or NIT teams. It's not like they are sitting there with 2-3 Q3/Q4 losses.
RJ you are mainly right, but there's some dependencies. 3-3 means 21-9 walking in. It may depend on who the wins/losses are against. If we beat UMass/Fordham/St. Joe's, then the other 3 games are (I think) Q1/Q2 losses, so we are probably safe regardless of the A10 tournament. If we lose to one of UMass/Fordham/St. Joe's will the 3rd win need to be Dayton to make up for another Q3/Q4 loss?

That said, in theory, if they beat the teams they absolutely have no business losing to (ie, the mentioned 3), then they should still be in even with 3 losses in the Dayton/Davidson/SLU group. If they go 4-2 or 5-1, it's a no brainer.
Well we tested the theory of 3 losses to Q1/Q2 teams but the theory didn’t hold water. Back to the drawing board
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Losing 3 of our last 6 games would likely not even get us One of the valued first 4 team seeds to get the bye in the A10 Tournament.
We would have 5 A10 losses if we lose 3 more games. We would not have the tiebreaker with Richmond. We would have to at least get to the Championship Game and probably would have to win it if we had 5 A10 losses. Maybe if we lost to Dayton in the Championship Game but it could not be a blow out.
I just think you are giving too much credit to the other bubble teams. I think many of those teams can do just enough to remain relevant, but I don't see any of them blowing by URI at this point. Is Stanford, Xavier, Indiana, Virginia, Arizona St., Cincy, Miss St., Minnesota, Memphis, Georgetown etc going to get red-hot and zoom right by URI? Probably not. Yes, some of those teams might pick up a really nice win or two. They'll also probably pile up their own losses. URI has solidified themselves enough at this point to look like a solid tournament team to most people. If they win on Saturday, I would be shocked if they aren't showing up in many brackets as a weaker 8-seed next week on BM. I'm sorry at that point I don't buy them falling 15-16+ spots in losses to 3 decent teams, including one truly great team. That may leave them wanting to do work in the A10T because of bid-stealers, etc, but that is a different story.
I’m not talking about other Bubble Teams. The A10 is not going to get 4 teams in, maybe 3, 2 could be possible if URI losses 3 of the next 6 as is the discussion now. URI would HAVE to get to the A10 Finals.

It’s all kind of dumb because URI is not going to lose 3 of their next 6.

If URI ended up with 5 losses then they would be with a large pack of teams. Look at Bonaventure and Richmond with currently only 3 losses. VCU and Duquesne with only 4 losses. So a lot would depend on how those 4 teams finish up the Conference Play. No way in hell URI is a highly probable NCAA selection if they finish (13-5).

6 remaining games
St Josephs
@Davidson
@Fordham
Saint Louis
Dayton
@UMASS

8418CC57-9EC9-42AE-942D-69D68268B604.png
Brilliant statement by me
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I can't say I've looked at it every year, but this year bubble teams are just barely over .500 which is a good bit worse than the first Hurley tournament year. The bubble is soft as Taco Bell hangover shits this year
So I just looked super quick. This year, there are 7 teams in Bracket Matrix from P5+BE that are projected a 10 seed or worse to make the tournament. Those teams currently have 56 losses, but using KenPom projections and assuming each team losses in it's conference tournament, they are on pace for 90 losses. Last year, there were 7 P5+BE teams that finished a 10 seed or worse that made the tournament. They finished with a combined 88 losses. In 2018 there was another 7 teams that fit that criteria who also combined for 88 losses. 2017 was a little stronger at 84 combined losses by 7 teams. So I guess it's not as bad as it feels compared to recent history.
No bubble could be soft enough to absorb 3 losses in the last 6 games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
People outside the conference do now view St. Louis and Davidson as good teams or average at best. Their position would change quick and you have to take in account upsets in tournaments in a year like this.
If we lose 3 of our last 6 games it won’t matter who we lost to. It’s wasted brain cells and anxiety to try to differentiate the proposed 3 losses.

I know we would need minimum Championship game appearance if we lose 3 of last 6 which would really be 4 of last 7 - a mini disaster.

I don’t care what the NET, BPI, Ken Pom, Joe Luniticardi, the Bilastrator, RPI or whatever say today - 3 losses in the next 3 weeks would put us out.

I even think 2 losses in our last 6 is too many and puts us at risk but 3 is a humongous reach to think the NCAA will come calling imho.
I think it is comical they people think we would be in at 3-3. I agree that 4-2 is going to be very close. A-10 tourney would be huge is we finish 4-2. Last four in/first four out stuff
Unfortunately we tested the 3 loss theory.

Wish it was still a theory.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We’re always told that the committee judges a team from their entire season, not just recent games.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

I understand your point, but I disagree on the charmin soft take of other bubble teams. Specifically Xavier, Indiana, Virginia, Minnesota, or Georgetown. Hell even Stanford and ASU.

While they may be soft today...today isn't selection sunday. And yes, our resume against theirs at this point in time is superior.

However, URI has 1 Q1, 2 Q2, and 3 Q3/Q4 games remaining. The B1G and Big East teams literally do not have a Q3 or Q4 game on their schedules. They can lose games and have their metrics go up. They can win games and jump in front of URI if we falter because they're adding wins against NCAA teams.

We have 3 landmines and only 1 opportunity to impress the committee remaining. Each one of those teams has nothing but opportunity ahead of them.

3-3 in the next 6 is tantamount to a Baron collapse. 10-1 and 3-4 is almost 2009-10 all over again.

4-2 is the bare minimum for what this team needs to do to feel somewhat confident in a bid, without dropping a Q3 or Q4.
Basically what I said too
Yeah lol. I saw your post updated but I had already written a lot of words. Didn't want to delete haha.

We were right Blue Man, unfortunately.
The Pillow Soft Bubble could never be soft enough to absorb 3 out of 6 losses

01ACA0C9-408B-4101-ABE4-EAD0F77AC0F7.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago We’re always told that the committee judges a team from their entire season, not just recent games.
True
But what was said by RJ was that we could lose to Dayton, Davidson and Saint Louis and still be fine as long as we didn’t have a bad loss to UMASS, St Joseph’s or Fordham

Unfortunately we did just that, lost 3 games. Most of us “negative nancies” said we would have to at least get to the A-10, Championship or win it all If we list 3 of 6.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I was one of those that said we had to go at least 4-2 to still be in as of the end of the regular season.

Now even if we had beaten either Davidson or St. Louis, not sure if that would have been enough.

If we had though, at least we would have had a good shot at dancing if we reached the A10 finals.

Now, no chance. Win it all or else. Beating Duquesne and Richmond won't get it done imo.

Would be close, but no cigar.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I can't say I've looked at it every year, but this year bubble teams are just barely over .500 which is a good bit worse than the first Hurley tournament year. The bubble is soft as Taco Bell hangover shits this year
So I just looked super quick. This year, there are 7 teams in Bracket Matrix from P5+BE that are projected a 10 seed or worse to make the tournament. Those teams currently have 56 losses, but using KenPom projections and assuming each team losses in it's conference tournament, they are on pace for 90 losses. Last year, there were 7 P5+BE teams that finished a 10 seed or worse that made the tournament. They finished with a combined 88 losses. In 2018 there was another 7 teams that fit that criteria who also combined for 88 losses. 2017 was a little stronger at 84 combined losses by 7 teams. So I guess it's not as bad as it feels compared to recent history.
No bubble could be soft enough to absorb 3 losses in the last 6 games.
Bubble teams started winning at a much better clip as time wore on and we faded
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And a point that was made 3 weeks ago, was that the bubble could firm up.
The 3 losses was never really a possibility.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yep. Bubble teams that had to win did so.

We did not.

End of story.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

You guys are just negative nancies -- If URI is 21-9 entering the A10T, accumulating no additional Q3/Q4 losses, they should be fine. The bubble is charmin soft this year. They just need to avoid a Q3/Q4 loss at all costs. The Brown loss sucks, but all of their other losses have been to legit NCAA or NIT teams. It's not like they are sitting there with 2-3 Q3/Q4 losses.
RJ you are mainly right, but there's some dependencies. 3-3 means 21-9 walking in. It may depend on who the wins/losses are against. If we beat UMass/Fordham/St. Joe's, then the other 3 games are (I think) Q1/Q2 losses, so we are probably safe regardless of the A10 tournament. If we lose to one of UMass/Fordham/St. Joe's will the 3rd win need to be Dayton to make up for another Q3/Q4 loss?

That said, in theory, if they beat the teams they absolutely have no business losing to (ie, the mentioned 3), then they should still be in even with 3 losses in the Dayton/Davidson/SLU group. If they go 4-2 or 5-1, it's a no brainer.
Well we tested the theory of 3 losses to Q1/Q2 teams but the theory didn’t hold water. Back to the drawing board
The lesson as always: I’m an idiot.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The lesson as always: I’m an idiot.
And I said the discussion was moot because 3 losses would never happen :oops: :oops:
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Let's hope that RJ is right and all the bracketologiests are wrong and we some how find our way in the tourney with a 21-9/13-5 record (or really hopefully with a 24-9 record after winning the A10 tourney!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Let's hope that RJ is right and all the bracketologiests are wrong and we some how find our way in the tourney with a 21-9/13-5 record (or really hopefully with a 24-9 record after winning the A10 tourney!
RJ “Pillowsoft” Superfly

3A66DB7E-A339-46FD-BAAC-5BD9289B805B.jpeg
3A66DB7E-A339-46FD-BAAC-5BD9289B805B.jpeg (14.47 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Ain't that the truth, ALL the bubble teams starting winning except us.

Freaking PC is a 7 seed right now.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Ain't that the truth, ALL the bubble teams starting winning except us.

They are in 4th place in a really good conference and have a lot of good wins down the stretch. They deserve to be solidly in. Anything after PC in BE belongs on the bubble.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I’m not talking about other Bubble Teams. The A10 is not going to get 4 teams in, maybe 3, 2 could be possible if URI losses 3 of the next 6 as is the discussion now. URI would HAVE to get to the A10 Finals.

It’s all kind of dumb because URI is not going to lose 3 of their next 6.

If URI ended up with 5 losses then they would be with a large pack of teams. Look at Bonaventure and Richmond with currently only 3 losses. VCU and Duquesne with only 4 losses. So a lot would depend on how those 4 teams finish up the Conference Play. No way in hell URI is a highly probable NCAA selection if they finish (13-5).

6 remaining games
St Josephs
@Davidson
@Fordham
Saint Louis
Dayton
@UMASS

8418CC57-9EC9-42AE-942D-69D68268B604.png
Brilliant statement by me
I think we were all saying some version of this. I know I had some gems. Did not see a collapse coming, although watching the Davidson game changed my whole outlook - even if we’d held on there nothing that happened the rest of the way would have shocked me.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

A10 with multiple 20win teams at end of regular season and projected one bid league?

We wonder why URI admin won’t spend more money on this.

Makes me question why I even bother to follow A10 hoops.

Cartel NCAA hoops
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago A10 with multiple 20win teams at end of regular season and projected one bid league?

Cartel NCAA hoops
I think if the A-10 is a 1-bid league as the NET will ultimately help decide, and they implement this transfer without penalty policy, it will continue the downward spiral that College Basketball has been on. Throw in the 20 game conference schedules for P5 and NBE and it’s less and less interesting.

College basketball is in decline
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago A10 with multiple 20win teams at end of regular season and projected one bid league?

Cartel NCAA hoops
I think if the A-10 is a 1-bid league as the NET will ultimately help decide, and they implement this transfer without penalty policy, it will continue the downward spiral that College Basketball has been on. Throw in the 20 game conference schedules for P5 and NBE and it’s less and less interesting.

Richmond will get in. SLU will beat Dayton and get in. My prediction anyways
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Only the A-10 could get 1 team in and then have 6 teams in the NIT.

All that good work in the non conference for nothing.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago

Cartel NCAA hoops

Richmond will get in. SLU will beat Dayton and get in. My prediction anyways

THEN WE BEAT SLU IN THE FINAL
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm too new to being a Rhody fan to have a grasp of our history. So I thought Blue Man was crazy to caution me after the St. Joe's win not to be so confident. Now I'm learning that history matters.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t think so.
These players and this coaching staff lost 3 of the last 6
No previous teams or past history impacted this performance.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Cartel NCAA hoops
This is a good take. I think if Richmond gets to the finals and loses to Dayton or someone other than Dayton wins the A-10 we will get two teams, but otherwise it will be one. It makes you think why do we waste our time going to these A-10 games when the margin for error is around 15-3 or maybe 14-4 in conference and it must include a tough non conference schedule with some quality wins. If the rest of the A-10 is down or average we are screwed. Maybe the A-10 needs to get with the AAC,SoCon, WCC and some other high end mid majors to create their own opportunity for more quad one and quad wins. The Big East and Big Ten have a chance every night within their conference to accumulate both quality wins and quality loses. Very frustrating process, but is is the reason I had been saying we needed to finish 5-1 in our last 6. We aren’t even one of the last 10 teams out. Do you really think 4-2 with the win over St.Louis was going to be enough? We were moving down fast after Davidson and the Fordham games.

This process really sucks even on a year where the bubble is soft. I guess more of Texas, USC, Stanford, Cincinnati, Wichita State, etc instead of multiple teams from smaller conferences. Richmond deserves to be in
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Only the A-10 could get 1 team in and then have 6 teams in the NIT.

what good work in the non conference? you mean the one win the entire conference had over the AP top 25? Our best team didn't even beat a team that's in the current AP top 40.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

A lot of A10 whining before the field is even selected;
Rhody had a scheduled a tough OOC schedule and didn't have a signature win to show for it until the PC bailed them out at the end of the season. We lost to Brown and sucked in our last 6 games. BLEW IT
VCU and Davidson disappointed
St Louis didn't play anyone OOC( I believe by design because they were expecting to struggle a bit)
Dayton was outstanding.
The only complaint may be with Richmond if they don't get an at large.
Its a 1 or 2 bid year with everyone else looking in the mirror as to why they aren't dancing.
5 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Cartel NCAA hoops
Seems like it was just a really unlucky year. Davidson and VCU were both expected to have better seasons than they did. Davidson had some injuries and did poorly out of conference while VCU had some injuries and fell apart in conference.

If everything went well this year it could have been us, Dayton, Davidson, VCU and Richmond all fighting for tournament spots but the conference as a whole did not catch many breaks.
Last edited by josephski 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's the part that hurts the most, this should have been a year 3 and maybe even 4 had a chance. But its not a conspiracy as to why we don't, those teams didn't do enough in OOC - Rhody, Richmond and VCU all had ample opportunities in OOC and if they collectively batted .500 in those games we are probably looking at a multi bid league. But they didn't.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago That's the part that hurts the most, this should have been a year 3 and maybe even 4 had a chance. But its not a conspiracy as to why we don't, those teams didn't do enough in OOC - Rhody, Richmond and VCU all had ample opportunities in OOC and if they collectively batted .500 in those games we are probably looking at a multi bid league. But they didn't.
I agree. This is what hurts the most. Three weeks ago everything was going great and we were talked about on bracketology, the radio, ESPN and everywhere else. Now it feels like we don’t exist. It seemed at what one point URI, Dayton and Richmond would be in. Richmond hasn’t done much wrong, but now they seem like they are in danger of not making it. It must be very tough to take if you are a Richmond fan and they fail to make it. URI was their own worst enemy and doesn’t deserve a bid right now.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Only the A-10 could get 1 team in and then have 6 teams in the NIT.

what good work in the non conference? you mean the one win the entire conference had over the AP top 25? Our best team didn't even beat a team that's in the current AP top 40.
It's disappointing because this is the best season the Atlantic 10 has had by far, since 2013-2014.

Davidson and VCU really hurt us, as did the perienniel garbage teams. If we were in the power 5 NBE we would have been totally fine going 3-4.

St Bona also had their best player out that kept them from fairing far better in the non-conference. They would have likely been on the bubble with that win over Rutgers.

Despite all the what ifs the league, outside of GW, La Salle, St Joe's, and Fordham, the league did enough to put itself in position to garner multiple bids.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Location of these games matter. P5 teams will get a boat load of quad 1 home games, but URI played most of those on neutral/road sites, while winning their two biggest OOC home contest.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

It's disappointing because this is the best season the Atlantic 10 has had by far, since 2013-2014.

Davidson and VCU really hurt us, as did the perienniel garbage teams. If we were in the power 5 NBE we would have been totally fine going 3-4.

St Bona also had their best player out that kept them from fairing far better in the non-conference. They would have likely been on the bubble with that win over Rutgers.

Despite all the what ifs the league, outside of GW, La Salle, St Joe's, and Fordham, the league did enough to put itself in position to garner multiple bids.

as i mentioned above the league had ONE win against the AP top 25. I believe they had around 27 losses. As for the NBE, the "dregs" of the NBE" had more Q1 wins than our entire conference had all together. So what are examples of "all that good work in the non conference" you were speaking of? hopefully you will come up with something significantly better than our wins against PC and Alabama. Surely if we did a lot of good work you have at least 5 examples (outside of GW, La Salle, St. Joe's and Fordham). good luck...
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Location of these games matter. P5 teams will get a boat load of quad 1 home games, but URI played most of those on neutral/road sites, while winning their two biggest OOC home contest.

don't disagree with that. it's unfortunate that PC and Alabama weren't better or that we didn't beat MD, LSU or WVU...but it is what it is. URI isn't alone. This conference has less than a handful of quality wins in the OOC. 1-27 OOC vs. AP top 25 isn't going to cut it.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago A lot of A10 whining before the field is even selected;
Rhody had a scheduled a tough OOC schedule and didn't have a signature win to show for it until the PC bailed them out at the end of the season. We lost to Brown and sucked in our last 6 games. BLEW IT
VCU and Davidson disappointed
St Louis didn't play anyone OOC( I believe by design because they were expecting to struggle a bit)
Dayton was outstanding.
The only complaint may be with Richmond if they don't get an at large.
Its a 1 or 2 bid year with everyone else looking in the mirror as to why they aren't dancing.
I agree generally, except Richmond. If the season ended today and they were not solidly in that would be unacceptable. I also think that either SLU or Rhody should be considered for the last four in (not necessarily on the right side of the bubble but in the convo).
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PC, BC, Alabama, LSU, Kansas State, St Mary's, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Vandy, Belmont, UConn, Nebraska, North Texas (won conference USA regular season)

I mean some of those teams are weak power fives, but still collectively speaking the A-10 beat their fair share of good teams and teams in general.

We at least took care of the teams we were suppose to beat.

We did lack a lot of big marquee wins as a whole, but our winning percentage against the non-conference was one of the best.

It points to the fact that our league is in fact pretty strong. The 8th best league in the country.

Hardly any conference has very many marquee non-conference wins because they dont play very many big games.

I'd wager we did nearly the same as many of the other conferences overall, therefore, we shave off two or three of those weak ass teams we have at least four bids.

That's how it is in the A-10 and we couldnt step it up enough to get where we needed to be. Same for SLU, I mean they were swept by Duquesne, who should have scheduled way better, and lost at UMass. If you are suppose to be an at large team you cant do that. Gotta take care of the teams you should beat.

It is alarming how disrespected Richmond is right now, they played tough teams non-conference and beat them and went 14-4 in the A-10 and they're being trumped by mediocre ass power 5's.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago PC, BC, Alabama, LSU, Kansas State, St Mary's, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Vandy, Belmont, UConn, Nebraska, North Texas (won conference USA regular season)

I mean some of those teams are weak power fives, but still collectively speaking the A-10 beat their fair share of good teams and teams in general.

We did lack a lot of big marquee wins as a whole, but our winning percentage against the non-conference was one of the best.

It points to the fact that our league is in fact pretty strong. The 8th best league in the country.

Hardly any conference has very many marquee non-conference wins because they dont play very many big games.

I'd wager we did nearly the same as many of the other conferences overall, therefore, we shave off two or three of those weak ass teams we have at least four bids.

That's how it is in the A-10 and we couldnt step it up enough to get where we needed to be. Same for SLU, I mean they were swept by Duquesne, who should have scheduled way better, and lost at UMass. If you are suppose to be an at large team you cant do that. Gotta take care of the teams you should beat.

It is alarming how disrespected Richmond is right now, they played tough teams non-conference and beat them and went 14-4 in the A-10 and they're being trumped by mediocre ass power 5's.
NET, NET, that’s what you get.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Richmond is in as 11 seed on BM so I still think if they make finals and lose to Dayton they should most likely be in
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago PC, BC, Alabama, LSU, Kansas State, St Mary's, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Vandy, Belmont, UConn, Nebraska, North Texas (won conference USA regular season)

Not a very impressive list. You named 15 teams...only 5 of those are dancing...6 if n. texas wins CUSA (they aren't going otherwise). Of the other teams only Wisconsin is currently better than an 8 seed in Bracketmatrix. PC, LSU, St. Mary's and Rutgers are all 8's or worse. And that is what you're hanging your hat on to say the A10 did all this hard work out of conference? YIKES!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago That's the part that hurts the most, this should have been a year 3 and maybe even 4 had a chance. But its not a conspiracy as to why we don't, those teams didn't do enough in OOC - Rhody, Richmond and VCU all had ample opportunities in OOC and if they collectively batted .500 in those games we are probably looking at a multi bid league. But they didn't.
Two lines of thought that always seem to be predicted but rarely actually occur and should probably be abandoned at this point and moving forward, forever-

1. The A10 will be better this/next season.
2. The freshmen won’t have to contribute immediately for the team to succeed and can be given time to watch and learn.

If they ever are true- wonderful! But I’ve given up on counting on them.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

reef wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is in as 11 seed on BM so I still think if they make finals and lose to Dayton they should most likely be in

richmond will be sweating it out in that scenario, but i agree they have a chance.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Richmond is in as 11 seed on BM so I still think if they make finals and lose to Dayton they should most likely be in

richmond will be sweating it out in that scenario, but i agree they have a chance.
So do we! (We just have to win 3 games in a row against teams we haven't beat this year.😃)
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

The A10 needs to do something about the bottom of the conference. Conference has been on a consistent decline and putting your heads in the sand thinking it’s going to turn around is not a solution...

If the A10 wants to remain a respected consistent multi bid league than it is time for some serious action.

Again I have no idea what the legal process is for kicking schools out but this needs to be looked at by the commissioner.
6 x
Clapton is God
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Challenge for Richmond being right on the edge is upsets in conference tournaments. Creates bid stealer phenomenon.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Ain't that the truth, ALL the bubble teams starting winning except us.

They are in 4th place in a really good conference and have a lot of good wins down the stretch. They deserve to be solidly in. Anything after PC in BE belongs on the bubble.
Pardon me — I need to puke.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not a very impressive list. You named 15 teams...only 5 of those are dancing...6 if n. texas wins CUSA (they aren't going otherwise). Of the other teams only Wisconsin is currently better than an 8 seed in Bracketmatrix. PC, LSU, St. Mary's and Rutgers are all 8's or worse. And that is what you're hanging your hat on to say the A10 did all this hard work out of conference? YIKES!
I'm saying it was enough if we dont have all that baggage at the end.

Yes we were low on a bunch of huge wins, but we had a lot of wins nevertheless and in turn our top teams had good NET rankings because of it.

If we dont have garbage ass teams weighing us down our numbers would inflate just like it would for the rest of the power conference teams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago The A10 needs to do something about the bottom of the conference. Conference has been on a consistent decline and putting your heads in the sand thinking it’s going to turn around is not a solution...

If the A10 wants to remain a respected consistent multi bid league than it is time for some serious action.

Again I have no idea what the legal process is for kicking schools out but this needs to be looked at by the commissioner.
It’s been talked about for a long long time, every year.
Wake me when it happens. Wake me when any conference drops one or more of their bottom teams. Would love to see it but not holding my breath.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago The A10 needs to do something about the bottom of the conference. Conference has been on a consistent decline and putting your heads in the sand thinking it’s going to turn around is not a solution...

It’s been talked about for a long long time, every year.
Wake me when it happens. Wake me when any conference drops one or more of their bottom teams. Would love to see it but not holding my breath.
Agree Ramster but A10 needs to figure out something as it is getting closer and closer to becoming a 1-2 bid league. Richmond belongs in but won't be surprised if NCAA finds a way to screw them.
0 x