2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Re: 2020 A10 Tournament Talk

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Not A-10 tourney related but this may have an impact on NCAA tourney. RPI hockey has its first home playoff game since 2013 on friday. ECAC has made a decision to not allow any fans to attend the game because of two people found to have Corona virus in Saratoga County. Albany is hosting first round NCAA tourney games. Will be interesting to see what they do
0 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago If Richmond loses Friday and we make it to Sunday - does anyone think that gives us an outside chance ?
I think the best-case scenario is Richmond winning Friday, so we'd have another chance a good win.

Does anyone know if conference tournament games have an impact on the NET rankings? Would be beating Richmond count as another Q1 win? If they do factor in, as much as it pains me to say it if PC keeps winning and can claw inside the top 30, another Q1 win would be huge for us.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yes, conference tourney games count on the team sheets, and the quadrants apply. Heading into Brooklyn, here's how Rhody's potential opponents stack up:

Q1: Dayton, Richmond, Saint Louis
Q2: VCU, Davidson, Duquesne
Q3: St. Bonaventure, UMass, George Mason, La Salle
Q4: George Washington, Saint Joseph's, Fordham
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know how, if you actually watched Richmond a few times, you can think they aren’t good. They have 2 efficient and quality guards, an elite level 3 point shooter, a decent big that can pass and rebound and a role playing versatile PF. And all those guys are 3rd or 4th year Juniors. Them and St Louis will be preseason 1 and 2 next year.

Richmond is really good and if they only win one in the tourney, it is a joke if they don't get in. Agree with everything Big apple said and one more factor is that they are well rested. They really play a lot of guys . I do think that Golden is a bum, but he fits with their scheme and typically plays only 25 minutes a game. They also seem to get good shots on most possessions unlike us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Currently we are the 10th team out.

2 wins in the conference tourney would put us probably in the first four out.

Have to win the thing, no matter who it's against.

UConn's in the same boat 9th team out.

They have a better chance of winning their tourney though imo.
1 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Think its a moot point because unless the entire Dayton team falls ill there is no way we stay within single digits of that team on the big stage.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I still think if we shoot better then abysmal, we can beat anyone and maybe have a shot at Dayton.
4 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I don’t know how, if you actually watched Richmond a few times, you can think they aren’t good. They have 2 efficient and quality guards, an elite level 3 point shooter, a decent big that can pass and rebound and a role playing versatile PF. And all those guys are 3rd or 4th year Juniors. Them and St Louis will be preseason 1 and 2 next year.

Richmond is really good and if they only win one in the tourney, it is a joke if they don't get in. Agree with everything Big apple said and one more factor is that they are well rested. They really play a lot of guys . I do think that Golden is a bum, but he fits with thfeir scheme and typically plays only 25 minutes a game. They also seem to get good shots on most possessions unlike us.
Why do you think Golden is a bum?
His passing ability is a key part of their offense.

He ranks in many categories, not dominating in any but a well rounded player:

Goldens Rank in A-10 Conference Play
9th FG%
10th Assists per Game
14th FT%
15th Points per Game
16th Blocked Shots
19th Rebounding
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....our conference season is in the books......I think we go on from here with got us here......Fatts being Fatts.......good offense, bad offense, good defense, bad defense, foul shooting, whatever, gonna sit back enjoy March Madness with TV current conference updates......URI is there in the convo, being in the mix, for me not totally accepting mediocrity, but enjoying I can just view from a distance and take it all in......Go Rhody.....
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond only lost to Dayton by 8 points and they played without their highest scorer in Blake Francis
Richmond will be a tough out if we get to face them
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago Think its a moot point because unless the entire Dayton team falls ill there is no way we stay within single digits of that team on the big any stage.
Fixed it
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Richmond is really good and if they only win one in the tourney, it is a joke if they don't get in. Agree with everything Big apple said and one more factor is that they are well rested. They really play a lot of guys . I do think that Golden is a bum, but he fits with thfeir scheme and typically plays only 25 minutes a game. They also seem to get good shots on most possessions unlike us.
Why you think Golden is a bum?
Could he be first team A-10,?
I don't think so- he seems slow footed on defense, is not a rim protector (25 blocks this season compared to 50 plus for Cyril), and is an inferior rebounder for a guy 6'10 (has 1/3 less than Cyril) Has a total of 32 offensive rebounds for the season (102 for Cyril_
His further lack of defensive ability is shown by his total of 16 steals for the season (Cyril twice as many)

Mooney gets the most out of him, Agree that they run part of their offense through him, and he seems to make the passes, but, my opinion is based on the fact that a rim protector and rebounder is what you need from your center.

I think he is pretty far down the list of A10 centers and I do not believe he is anything close to all A10.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......NYGFan......love those fixes......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

BleedBlue87 wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago If Richmond loses Friday and we make it to Sunday - does anyone think that gives us an outside chance ?
I do. Some other things need to shake out our way but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Rhody has a better chance if Richmond wins Friday and Rhody beats them Saturday. Better chance in that 1% is greater than 0%.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Why you think Golden is a bum?
Could he be first team A-10,?
I don't think so- he seems slow footed on defense, is not a rim protector (25 blocks this season compared to 50 plus for Cyril), and is an inferior rebounder for a guy 6'10 (has 1/3 less than Cyril) Has a total of 32 offensive rebounds for the season (102 for Cyril_
His further lack of defensive ability is shown by his total of 16 steals for the season (Cyril twice as many)

Mooney gets the most out of him, Agree that they run part of their offense through him, and he seems to make the passes, but, my opinion is based on the fact that a rim protector and rebounder is what you need from your center.

I think he is pretty far down the list of A10 centers and I do not believe he is anything close to all A10.
After I wrote that I looked up his stats. He is kind of hard to rate because of the way Mooney is using him. I see Golden way up at the top of the key often receiving passes and dishing assists. So not really in the position for offensive rebounds so much.
But he ranks in top 10 in FG% and Assists.
Ranks in top 20 in FT, PPG, Blocks and Rebounds.

His best bet might be 3rd team because Richmond finished 2nd. Still only a Junior.

Golden’s Rank in A-10 Conference Play
9th FG%
10th Assists per Game
14th FT%
15th Points per Game
16th Blocked Shots
19th Rebounding
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago No.
Because that is exactly what the NCAA wants.
There is a reason why several sites still track RPI. It provides a benchmark from which to measure the gap between NET today and how things would have looked prior to last season.

The RPI was managed by the NCAA. If it was so bad then why didn’t the NCAA fix it? Adjust it?
Why did the NCAA need to come out with something new and rebrand it?
And have the formula a secret to this day?

I don’t trust the NCAA with this secret formula at all

Seeing DePaul and St Johns NET rankings so high for such bad teams makes no sense. But these high NET levels for the bottom of the NBE helps the upper teams of the NBE. They don’t get impacted much like teams in the A-10, AAC, WCC, MVC, etc get.

The NCAA would love nothing more than for the RPI to not be looked at but the formula was simple, and so it’s out there and continues to be tracked.

Having a secret NET is infuriating.

RPI is still widely used in other NCAA sports, just not Men’s Basketball.

ramster...we may not like any of the metrics, but what do you think is a more appropriate measure of uri this year? do you think they are closer to the 30th best team in the country or the 57th? i would say there are more than 57 teams in the country better than us.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yeah there are at least 57 teams better.

The sample size is plenty big enough by now.

We struggle to beat bad teams, and haven't beaten anybody that's really good.

Actually our NET of 56 is rather spot on imo.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Currently we are the 10th team out.

2 wins in the conference tourney would put us probably in the first four out.

Have to win the thing, no matter who it's against.

UConn's in the same boat 9th team out.

They have a better chance of winning their tourney though imo.
On what site do you see us as the 10th team out Bone?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ....our conference season is in the books......I think we go on from here with got us here......Fatts being Fatts.......good offense, bad offense, good defense, bad defense, foul shooting, whatever, gonna sit back enjoy March Madness with TV current conference updates......URI is there in the convo, being in the mix, for me not totally accepting mediocrity, but enjoying I can just view from a distance and take it all in......Go Rhody.....

Yeah I think overall we made some improvements against UMass. Just rewatched it and it was very similar to our 10 game win streak type play. Except the last 10 minutes.

The biggest difference really is Fatts not making the plays we were accustomed to. He was driving and dishing like we want him to, just missing shots hes been making all year. I mean if he shoots an average game we blow UMass out.

I have faith in us. We needed that win badlyyy.

I thought we were probably going to lose that game no matter what, but I like how we came out and didnt fold when we were about to blow it.

It's just going to come down to defense and then Fatts making some shots.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Well it appears Rhody has the favorable side of the bracket. Looks like the Dayton side will be a dog fight till the end...with Dayton, St. Louis (red hot), and VCU (desparate). I think St. Louis could have a shot at controlling the paint and "possibly" pulling off an upset on Dayton. Not saying they will, but wouldn't rule it out either.
As far as Rhody goes, I hope they find a way to pull it together as a team. Right now, I'm not getting my hopes up. I haven't seen anything lately to make me believe they can win the whole thing or even make the finals.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago No.
Because that is exactly what the NCAA wants.
There is a reason why several sites still track RPI. It provides a benchmark from which to measure the gap between NET today and how things would have looked prior to last season.

The RPI was managed by the NCAA. If it was so bad then why didn’t the NCAA fix it? Adjust it?
Why did the NCAA need to come out with something new and rebrand it?
And have the formula a secret to this day?

I don’t trust the NCAA with this secret formula at all

Seeing DePaul and St Johns NET rankings so high for such bad teams makes no sense. But these high NET levels for the bottom of the NBE helps the upper teams of the NBE. They don’t get impacted much like teams in the A-10, AAC, WCC, MVC, etc get.

The NCAA would love nothing more than for the RPI to not be looked at but the formula was simple, and so it’s out there and continues to be tracked.

Having a secret NET is infuriating.

RPI is still widely used in other NCAA sports, just not Men’s Basketball.

ramster...we may not like any of the metrics, but what do you think is a more appropriate measure of uri this year? do you think they are closer to the 30th best team in the country or the 57th? i would say there are more than 57 teams in the country better than us.
You might be right 86
I’m amazed at the differences between RPI and NET for some teams. It’s hard for me to believe that the ROI could have been so far off And/Or to what degree now is the NET not accurate for some teams.

I’m worried about the mid Majors getting screwed this year.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why should you be amazed that there is a difference between RPI and NET? The whole point of creating NET is that everyone agreed that RPI was not adequately capturing what it was intended to capture. It would be a sign that the NET is an abject failure if it were spitting out identical rankings as the RPI. There may be issues with the NET, but I think comparing it to RPI is a nonsensical way to try to identify those issues.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The NCAA created both measurement systems

It’s not just gaps but such wide gaps for some teams that amazes me.

I never thought we could have been so far off and broken.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Why should you be amazed that there is a difference between RPI and NET? The whole point of creating NET is that everyone agreed that RPI was not adequately capturing what it was intended to capture. It would be a sign that the NET is an abject failure if it were spitting out identical rankings as the RPI. There may be issues with the NET, but I think comparing it to RPI is a nonsensical way to try to identify those issues.
Here are examples just this week of inexplicable moves in NET for some teams. Nobody can explain. Formulas are secret.
Attached articles describe the frustrations that Kentucky and Virginia are experiencing and seeing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... r-BB10UxPk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyp ... b.amp.html

The RPI was first used in 1981 and was developed by the NCAA to provide supplemental data to the Men’s Basketball Committee, which is responsible for selecting at-large teams and seeding and bracketing teams in the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship each year. The RPI still will be used by other Division I sports committees, including the Women’s Basketball Committee for the 2018-19 season.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These NET ratings interesting

Texas Tech is 22 yet not in Palms bracket
Indiana is 60 and 10 seed on BM
Texas is 68 and in field BM
UCLA is 75 and 1st team out BM
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah there are at least 57 teams better.

The sample size is plenty big enough by now.

We struggle to beat bad teams, and haven't beaten anybody that's really good.

Actually our NET of 56 is rather spot on imo.
I don’t know - I agree that 57 may be a fair rating until you see the teams that are ranked 30 to 57 and quite honestly not much difference. So we should be lower because we played our games less efficiently, even though based on RPI we have better results?

I don’t think we are 30 but I don’t think we are 57. My best guess we are closer to low to mid 40s. Maybe they should take the average?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster - I’m not saying that the NET has it all figured out and is perfect. It is definitely flawed. I just don’t think comparing it to the RPI is the best way to demonstrate that because it was designed specifically to be different than the RPI.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The UMASS vs VCU Game Thursday at Noon is intriguing
8-seed vs 9-seed

Winner vs Dayton 12 noon Friday the 13th :lol:

Who would have dreamed UMASS would be the higher seed in the A-10, Tournament before the season started?

VCU was picked #1 preseason
UMASS was picked #11 preseason
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The UMASS vs VCU Game Thursday at Noon is intriguing
8-seed vs 9-seed

Winner plays Dayton Friday
Only team with a chance against Dayton is St Louis. We’ll have to pray for a miracle.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe Dayton beats St. Louis, but at the same time, St. Louis physically beats the crap out of them. Could be a tired and banged up team on Sunday.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Its simple really, If VCU stays healthy, they are competing with us or Richmond for the #2 spot, maybe #1.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Its simple really, If VCU stays healthy, they are competing with us or Richmond for the #2 spot, maybe #1.
Heh? VCU is a trainwreck, injuries galore and have lost 7 of their last 8. A bunch via blowout.
Dayton is the best team, SLU is the hottest. VCU could easily lose to Umass.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Its simple really, If VCU stays healthy, they are competing with us or Richmond for the #2 spot, maybe #1.
Heh? VCU is a trainwreck, injuries galore and have lost 7 of their last 8. A bunch via blowout.
Dayton is the best team, SLU is the hottest. VCU could easily lose to Umass.
I misspke, I meant if VCU "had stayed healthy".
0 x
GO RAMS
jgrande
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by jgrande »

For discounted tickets go to www.barclayscentergroups.com/KeaneyBlue
1 x
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Why should you be amazed that there is a difference between RPI and NET? The whole point of creating NET is that everyone agreed that RPI was not adequately capturing what it was intended to capture. It would be a sign that the NET is an abject failure if it were spitting out identical rankings as the RPI. There may be issues with the NET, but I think comparing it to RPI is a nonsensical way to try to identify those issues.
I don't think we should be amazed by the that there is a difference between the RPI and the NET, but I think the larger point is that the NET may be just as flawed as the RPI. It's too soon to tell, but there is no data to prove it is a better metric.

That said, since the NCAA made the choice to switch from RPI to NET I think it's fair to compare the them to look at who has benefited the most from the change.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Louis is +675 to win the tournament in Brooklyn may take a flyer
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Heading down solo Fri. never been to Brooklyn before and not sure if I'll go to the URI organized events. any KB'ers know of a good bar for before and after the game. I'm all for a KB meet up too
1 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

In the Wednesday Night Pillow Fight:

(13) Joe's vs. (12) Mason, 1 PM

(14) Fordham vs. (11) GW, 3:30 PM

Both games on NBCSN
0 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

We're second favorites to win the tournament. Full odds (from DraftKings)

Dayton -305
Rhode Island +500
Richmond +1000
Saint Louis +1800
VCU +3300
St. Bonaventure +3300
Duquesne +3300
Davidson +3300
Mason +10000
LaSalle +10000
UMASS +10000
Fordham +20000