Week #18 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Week #18 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, forgot their recent first appearance. They beat Vanderbilt. But then that comment wasn't the point. I will correct.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago My bad, I totally forgot about DePaul's sterling win over Northwestern (you know Northwestern, the school that has made only one NCAAT appearance, but hey, they're in the B10). But the Demons needed that respite after beating up on Alcorn State which then required them to save energy by crossing over a few blocks to take on the mighty UIC Flames, and on disposing of them, the Demons restored enough of their juices to travel another 40 blocks south to play and rout my alma mater the D3 University of Chicago. Yikes, if you can't compete on academics, dazzle them with your athletic prowess.

Oh where, oh where is Mr. Basketball, George Mikan, when you really need him. The glory days were only 75 years ago.
They also have wins over Iowa and Texas Tech. Those are better than any wins we have this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Would love to have DePaul in the A10. Better than the bottom 1/3 for sure.
The Big East Marketing Machine wants you to believe their Conference is far and above all other conferences. And it works, even on the KB Board

Facts:
DePaul is 15-16 and 3-15 in Big East

In statistics that can be accurately compared - FT Shooting and 3 Point Shooting

So the Big East has Depaul and Xavier shooting FTs worse that the A10’s 13th team in Fordham

The BE has DePaul and Xavier shooting 3Ps worse than the A10’s 12th worst 3P Team URI
Free Throws
10. DePaul 65.3%
9. Xavier 65.6%
8. PC 69.4%

14. St Louis 58.0%
13. Fordham 65.7%
12. LaSalle 66.5%

3-Point Shooting
10. DePaul 31.2%
9. Xavier 31.5%
8. St Johns 32.1%

14. St Josephs 29.7%
13. George Mason 30.6%
12. URI 31.5%
11. Fordham 31.7%

NET Rankings compared to RPI which NCAA used since 1982
Xavier 43 vs 41
Georgetown 66 vs 88
St Johns 66 vs 119
Depaul 86 vs 130

So the new NET very generously ranks the bottom of the BE with St Johns and DePaul getting far improved numbers

This in turn helps the entire Big East as they play each other in 18 games, and soon to be 20 games

But FT and 3P shooting is on a par with the bottom 2-3 Teams of the A10.

Something is off in how these bottom Big East Teams have their NET Calculated
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Would love to have DePaul in the A10. Better than the bottom 1/3 for sure.
The Big East Marketing Machine wants you to believe their Conference is far and above all other conferences. And it works, even on the KB Board

Facts:

In statistics that can be accurately compared - FT Shooting and 3 Point Shooting

So the Big East has Depaul and Xavier shooting FTs worse that the A10’s 13th team in Fordham

The BE has DePaul and Xavier shooting 3Ps worse than the A10’s 12th worst 3P Team URI
Free Throws
10. DePaul 65.3%
9. Xavier 65.6%
8. PC 69.4%

14. St Louis 58.0%
13. Fordham 65.7%
12. LaSalle 66.5%

3-Point Shooting
10. DePaul 31.2%
9. Xavier 31.5%
8. St Johns 32.1%

14. St Josephs 29.7%
13. George Mason 30.6%
12. URI 31.5%
11. Fordham 31.7%

Xavier 43 vs 41
Georgetown 66 vs 88
St Johns 66 vs 119
Depaul 86 vs 130

So the new NET very generously ranks the bottom of the BE with St Johns and DePaul getting far improved numbers

This in turn helps the entire Big East as they play each other in 18 games, and soon to be 20 games

Wow, I must have missed where teams are ranked on free throw percentage and 3 point percentage. When did that happen?

A10 also has two teams with 200+ RPI’s and Fordham in the 300s. DePaul’s the worst team in the Big East with an RPI of 130 so I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Facts:

Free Throws
10. DePaul 65.3%
9. Xavier 65.6%
8. PC 69.4%

14. St Louis 58.0%
13. Fordham 65.7%
12. LaSalle 66.5%

3-Point Shooting
10. DePaul 31.2%
9. Xavier 31.5%
8. St Johns 32.1%

14. St Josephs 29.7%
13. George Mason 30.6%
12. URI 31.5%
11. Fordham 31.7%

Xavier 43 vs 41
Georgetown 66 vs 88
St Johns 66 vs 119
Depaul 86 vs 130

So winning games no longer counts as long as you have a good ft and 3pt percentage ?.Even Cooley says we win ugly but if I had the choice of winning ugly or hitting all my free throw I will take the winning games.

Bottom line St Johns and Depaul combined for wins at Minnesota at Iowa home to Texas Tech at BC home west Virginia and Arizona neutral. Its not hard to figure when your botton 2 teams are producing those kind of wins out of conference that your conference will be rated high.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago

Facts:

Free Throws
10. DePaul 65.3%
9. Xavier 65.6%
8. PC 69.4%

14. St Louis 58.0%
13. Fordham 65.7%
12. LaSalle 66.5%

3-Point Shooting
10. DePaul 31.2%
9. Xavier 31.5%
8. St Johns 32.1%

14. St Josephs 29.7%
13. George Mason 30.6%
12. URI 31.5%
11. Fordham 31.7%

Xavier 43 vs 41
Georgetown 66 vs 88
St Johns 66 vs 119
Depaul 86 vs 130

So winning games no longer counts as long as you have a good ft and 3pt percentage ?.Even Cooley says we win ugly but if I had the choice of winning ugly or hitting all my free throw I will take the winning games.

Bottom line St Johns and Depaul combined for wins at Minnesota at Iowa home to Texas Tech at BC home west Virginia and Arizona neutral. Its not hard to figure when your botton 2 teams are producing those kind of wins out of conference that your conference will be rated high.

Im simply trying to provide some empirical data to support the comments that DePaul is a really bad team and their program is really bad and they suck

So you need to be smart assed and make me look like an idiot like I’m just saying only FTs and 3P percent matters

Look I’m seeing an A-10, that will get one team in the NCAA Tournament but the Big East is going to get 7 or more.

Does that really feel right to you?

Does the NET for DePaul and St Johns feel right to you?

That’s my point is showing the FT and 3P performance of DePaul, St Johns and Xavier to the bottom of the A-10,.

Not much difference

But go ahead with the Big East Marketing Machine. And heavens do not schedule a road game in OOC - that would be dangerous.

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago De Paul is a really bad team and a bad program.
They have talent, had a great out of conference record, I think they were even ranked for a bit. The Big East schedule chewed them up.
They suck.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I stand by my point that DePaul is a lousy program. In the 15 years since their departure from C-USA, they have had precisely 2 winning seasons in the BE. In nine of those seasons they recorded 20+ losses and in two others, 19 losses. This is a level of ineptitude that rivals Fordham, except Fordham doesn't play in a fancy arena like De Paul. At least they have some sort of excuse.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago

Facts:

Free Throws
10. DePaul 65.3%
9. Xavier 65.6%
8. PC 69.4%

14. St Louis 58.0%
13. Fordham 65.7%
12. LaSalle 66.5%

3-Point Shooting
10. DePaul 31.2%
9. Xavier 31.5%
8. St Johns 32.1%

14. St Josephs 29.7%
13. George Mason 30.6%
12. URI 31.5%
11. Fordham 31.7%

Xavier 43 vs 41
Georgetown 66 vs 88
St Johns 66 vs 119
Depaul 86 vs 130

Wow, I must have missed where teams are ranked on free throw percentage and 3 point percentage. When did that happen?

A10 also has two teams with 200+ RPI’s and Fordham in the 300s. DePaul’s the worst team in the Big East with an RPI of 130 so I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove.
Yeah you missed it smart ass.would want measurable, objective facts to get in the way of a terrible team like DePaul being ranked the 86th best team out of 353 teams.
FT and 3 point percentages can’t be a argued - that’s my point.

The A-10, is likely to get 1 team in the Dance, the Big East wants 7 and they will push for more than that.

But this is why the A-10 gets one team. Because the A-10, criticizes their own. Even when I try to put facts up then posters like you belittle the argument and go to the defense of the Big East.

DePaul sucks. There. No objective facts. I’ll be just like the Big East blowhards who just tell the world the A-10 Sucks and the A-10 is lucky we even let them have 1.

I’ve watched the Big East this year and many games are boring, shooting proficiency of those 7 teams is not better than the top 4 of the A-10,

But they get 7 teams, we get 1

And then watch the Big East teams flounder when they play

There is a reason PC has 1 NCAA win this century

Guess what it is
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Fordham's gym isn't fancy, but it is cool. DePaul is still not good, but 7 or so for the NBE vs 1-2 for the A10 does seem about right.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s cool for a high school game.
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

UConn beat Tulane, 80-76 for its eighth win out of its last ten games. The two teams will also square off in the opening round of the American tourney in Ft. Worth this week. Former Ram player, Christian Thompson, was Tulane's high scorer for game with 21 points. Thompson concluded the regular season for 12-17 Tulane as the team's second leading scorer at 13.9 ppg. Thompson whose PT averaged 34 minutes also led the team in rebounds and steals. His 3 PT shooting was a less than spectacular 27%.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Vital has now led UConn in scoring in 6 of the last 7 games

UConn is hot right now
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Thompson has been on fire. 30 vs. Memphis and 21 today. I watched the first few minutes and saw CT nailing 3s and Adams score 7 straight. We could have used them this year.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

UConn jumped up to get the 5th seed in the conference tournament but would probably have been better off with the 6th, where they would have played ECU and then potentially Tulsa. Tulane is a surprisingly decent last place team and then, if they get the win, it’s Wichita State. Any of the directional Carolina or Floridas seem like an easier match-up for the first round.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

There are good teams in the AAC, but the conference still just doesn’t make much sense, especially for UConn. Poor Temple.

MSG is fantastic, Barclays is pretty great... Dickie’s Arena a million miles away? No thanks.

I also like what the A10 does with those Wednesday games.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago UConn beat Tulane, 80-76 for its eighth win out of its last ten games. The two teams will also square off in the opening round of the American tourney in Ft. Worth this week. Former Ram player, Christian Thompson, was Tulane's high scorer for game with 21 points. Thompson concluded the regular season for 12-17 Tulane as the team's second leading scorer at 13.9 ppg. Thompson whose PT averaged 34 minutes also led the team in rebounds and steals. His 3 PT shooting was a less than spectacular 27%.
Thompson was 27% for the season on 3 PT shooting

But he was only 22.6% on 3 PT shooting in the 18 AAC Conference Games (12-53)

Shooting was his weakness and certainly wouldn’t have helped our shooting woes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting is a UConn with a win over Wichita may send them to the NIT
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The AAC is wide open.
UCONN and Dan Hurley are focused on winning the AAC and going to the NCAA
UConn is the hottest AAC Team going into the Tournament.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

reef wrote: 4 years ago Interesting is a UConn with a win over Wichita may send them to the NIT
NIT? Lunardi has UConn as the ninth team out of the brackets for the NCAA ahead of URI and St.Louis. None of the three are going without automatic bid, but UConn is going to the NIT win or lose.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Interesting is a UConn with a win over Wichita may send them to the NIT
NIT? Lunardi has UConn as the ninth team out of the brackets for the NCAA ahead of URI and St.Louis. None of the three are going without automatic bid, but UConn is going to the NIT win or lose.
UConn NET is now 59, right behind URI 57.

UConn now with 5 straight wins to get to 10-8 conference
Beat
South Florida
Central Florida
@ East Carolina
Houston
@ Tulane
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

UConn NET is now 59, right behind URI 57.

UConn now with 5 straight wins to get to 10-8 conference
Beat
South Florida
Central Florida
@ East Carolina
Houston
@ Tulane
Have also beaten Memphis, Florida, Cincinnati and Tulsa. I don’t like Hurley and UConn, but similar to PC they have played much better down the stretch with a thin team after losing one of their best players.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry what I meant was if UConn beat Wichita it will send Witchita to NIT
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Jackson State 3 Point Shooter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theundefea ... oment/amp/
From Jimmy Baron range!
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s fantastic great find !!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Gozaga & SF down to the wire.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Gozaga & SF down to the wire.
It’s amazing to me as a URI fan that teams like USF, which is a 9-7 team in the WCC, can hang with a team like Gonzaga for 40 minutes. Like, it doesn’t happen every game obviously but it happens enough in college basketball that it seems almost impossible that it could NEVER happen for URI. I want to say we have not beaten a truly good team like that since Kansas in 1998. Think about how crazy that is! It isn’t for a lack of opportunities, either. Lately we haven’t even been competitive - I guess the Oregon loss in 2017, before that maybe the Duke loss in 2007? I mean...how is it possible that a program that usually has pretty good players and can regularly beat teams they’re supposed to beat NEVER just gets a rainbow stuck up its ass for 40 minutes and gets hot and wins a game like that? Just frustrating.

Also the Fight Wally Szczerbiaks with a nice upset of old friends Buffalo. Hope their program survives post-Oats.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Gozaga & SF down to the wire.
It’s amazing to me as a URI fan that teams like USF, which is a 9-7 team in the WCC, can hang with a team like Gonzaga for 40 minutes. Like, it doesn’t happen every game obviously but it happens enough in college basketball that it seems almost impossible that it could NEVER happen for URI. I want to say we have not beaten a truly good team like that since Kansas in 1998. Think about how crazy that is! It isn’t for a lack of opportunities, either. Lately we haven’t even been competitive - I guess the Oregon loss in 2017, before that maybe the Duke loss in 2007? I mean...how is it possible that a program that usually has pretty good players and can regularly beat teams they’re supposed to beat NEVER just gets a rainbow stuck up its ass for 40 minutes and gets hot and wins a game like that? Just frustrating.

Also the Fight Wally Szczerbiaks with a nice upset of old friends Buffalo. Hope their program survives post-Oats.
USF did better than pretty much everyone else in the WCC against the Zags. Except for when BYU beat them. They just seemed to match up really well with them somehow.

I get what you mean though. We just shit the bed against great teams.

Made me think about how poorly we fared against Xavier. I think we beat them TWICE. In 98 and in the 2007 A-10 semifinals somehow. We got killed by them so many times and lost soooooo many close/potential program changing games to them. Before that it was Temple and it seemed like we couldnt beat Temple towards the end of their stay in the A-10 either.

Side point, since I brought up the 07 game against Xavier. We always talk about how Baron had three collapses 08,09, and 10. I would count 07 in that category as well. We were 10-3 and lost our last three A-10 games including a loss to a 7 win Richmond team. Great win over Xavier, but we still shit the bed in the championship game. So we had a chance to clinch a bid by winning one game for four straight years and failed every time.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That USF team is not bad at all good young coach who probably won’t be there long posdible NIT team
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

That league could become the Big East Western version. Already 3 really good programs. Maybe the USF guy should stay put if they pay him
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago That league could become the Big East Western version. Already 3 really good programs. Maybe the USF guy should stay put if they pay him
Everyone thought Mark Few would eventually be gone from Gonzaga...he's been there 20 years.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago That league could become the Big East Western version. Already 3 really good programs. Maybe the USF guy should stay put if they pay him
Everyone thought Mark Few would eventually be gone from Gonzaga...he's been there 20 years.
Spokane and eastern Washington is a beautiful place to live. There are reasons people don’t want to pack up and relocate their families too.
I read about McKillop has his family in and around the Davison area with his grandchildren too. A lot to be said for having roots in a community. Davidson also a nice area to live in. One could say the same thing for South County.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

reef wrote: 4 years ago That USF team is not bad at all good young coach who probably won’t be there long posdible NIT team
Exactly. I think if you have a bad team there can’t be any real expectation that you’re going to spring upsets on elite teams. You just don’t have the horses. But if you’re a top-100 type of team it isn’t impossible. Maybe it doesn’t happen for you every year, but a couple times a decade given a ton of opportunities doesn’t seem like a stretch. We see it a lot, especially at this time of year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That Oregon game was ours....but thanks to the refs and Hassan being hurt, that cost us the game.

The sad thing is, if we had a healthy Hassan and won that game, we could have gone a lot farther.

That was our opportunity, fleeting as it was....now long gone...….
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago That Oregon game was ours....but thanks to the refs and Hassan being hurt, that cost us the game.

The sad thing is, if we had a healthy Hassan and won that game, we could have gone a lot farther.

That was our opportunity, fleeting as it was....now long gone...….
We would have played Michigan in the sweet 16 (which may have not been great for my marriage as my wife is a Michigan grad lol)
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That 17' team had a great chance to beat Michigan. Wuudayagonnado.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Oregon best Kansas in the elite 8 and lost to UNC in the National semis
2 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Omar is dancing!
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago Omar is dancing!
Looks like a DNP tonight.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Yeah. I checked the team season stats earlier. He averaged just over ten minutes a game and just over three points a game. His FG and three point percentages were weak.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

He had less minutes when he played at URI. Looks like he averaged around 10PPG this season. Defense must still be his issue
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Watching the wcc final. 2 techs called so far. One on each team. Breeding must be a ref in this game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Good WCC game so far. That Jordan Ford from St Mary’s can play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes indeed watched Ford all year long and he is excellent

Zags are very tough with their bigs they will be a tough out
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He had less minutes when he played at URI. Looks like he averaged around 10PPG this season. Defense must still be his issue
Omar only hit 30% FG for the season

He averaged 3.1 ppg on the season, not 10 ppg

His minutes decreased as the season moved on. Only played 43 minutes in the last 9 games or less than 5 minutes per game

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... verio/6287

In the Conference Championship win for Hofstra they would Drive some Rhody Fans crazy (who want a big bench to play a lot of minutes because of fatigue):

Hofstra had:
  • 3 starters play 40 minutes
  • 2 starters play 37 minutes
  • 2 subs play 3 minutes each
  • Only committed 7 total personal fouls
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago Hurley is going to take UConn to a final four and I am very jealous
Just think - if we'd have invested in this PROGRAM (not just Hurley) properly in 2017 after our first NCAA appearance in 2 decades (practice facility, charter flights, assistant coaches pool) - he doesn't go to UConn, Obi Toppin comes here, we go to the Final Four this year.

Instead, we magically found those promises and funds a year too late. As we tend to do.

Instead, MEDIOCRITY! YAY!
Fake news.

Dan is the reason Obi isn’t here. He didn’t want to take the risk.

He was never going to spurn UCONN to stay at URI. Don’t believe the fairy tale.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dan was quoted congratulating Fatts for his achievement and thanking him as one of the reasons he (Dan) is now at UConn. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
0 x
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

So many want to be mad!! Let it fuel you! To what? I don’t know!

He said this to a UConn reporter,

which was kind of like this, which he said after he won the A10 coach of the year.

4 x