3/7 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN Plus/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 3/7 | UMass | 7:00PM (NESN Plus/ESPN+)

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Wow - I hope the last minute of the game is a springboard for Fatts. I don’t think we played as poorly as other games, just missed wide open shots.

Harris was not playing because Long was actually doing a nice job on Mitchell (except for the three pointers but I don’t blame him for those). We need more Mekhi in the A10 tourney he is a really good defender.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Anyone still think this team is on the bubble and that we are going to be sweating if we got to the A-10 finals? Not that we could win our first game and beat Richmond anyway. This team is not fun to watch
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Better than a loss, I guess.

Cannot believe Fatts got that call at the end. Thank god he did.

Mitchell is a stud. Cannot wait until he transfers somewhere good so I can root for him. His fake dad can still get his shine box.
Don’t be surprised if it is next year on the transfer.
I’ll actually be surprised if it’s not. If he has any sense about him or any ability to make decisions on his own without Mr. Shinebox.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

A. WIN. IS. A. WIN.
See you guys in Brooklyn.

#doublebye
5 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel like Cox is in over his head. I've resisted to this point, but I just cannot figure out his seemingly ridiculous decisions in these games.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone else get the feeling the players aren't "as close" anymore? They seemed so much more like a family during the 10 game win streak. Today their body language and effort was awful. I will be so pissed off if they do this in Brooklyn when I make the trip friday. :x
At the risk of causing a riot, our big three (Jeff, Cyril, Fatts) look really off, and everyone else seems to have better than normal body language. The rest of the team were really supporting each other.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Anyone still think this team is on the bubble and that we are going to be sweating if we got to the A-10 finals? Not that we could win our first game and beat Richmond anyway. This team is not fun to watch
Good take. They are not fun to watch at all right now. Just stressful and inconsistent.
5 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago For those who can't watch, what happened? ESPN gamecast just gives me Mitchell's FTs and doesn't say how the hell we won...
Fatts drove the hoop, just Mitchell below the basket, Mitchell stuffed Fatts, kind of looked like all ball, but the refs gave him the call, Mitchell fouled out of the game, Fatts to the line for two.

Fatts makes both, only 2.2 seconds left, UMass tries for a greater than half court shot that went off the top of the backboard.

It was all ball, but mitchell got him with the body. good call IMHO
8 x
KMar970
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KMar970 »

Where do i buy tickets Ticketmaster?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone else get the feeling the players aren't "as close" anymore? They seemed so much more like a family during the 10 game win streak. Today their body language and effort was awful. I will be so pissed off if they do this in Brooklyn when I make the trip friday. :x
At the risk of causing a riot, our big three (Jeff, Cyril, Fatts) look really off, and everyone else seems to have better than normal body language. The rest of the team were really supporting each other.
Idk... You look at Dayton or SLU the bench is so much more enthusiastic during big plays. URI's bench just has that "I don't care" attitude.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

What an absolutely ugly win. Martin, Dowtin, and Russell shot a combined 11-35 (.314). Jeff missed all three of his ft attempts. Team was a horrible 8-16 at the line. Frittered away double digit leads in both halves. Thankfully Fatts made the plays in the last minute to grab victory from the jaws of defeat. Does not exactly instill any confidence that they are turning things around.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

We almost let one guy beat us. Can anyone play defense against Mitchell without fouling????????????
Cyril and Martin started off hot making great plays and then virtually disappeared. Gotta play 40 minutes and not commit fouls 20-30 feet from the basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can we run some offensive plays other then the same ones we have been seeing for 30 games now. I would love to see some back door cuts or at least something different.
4 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

josephski wrote: 4 years ago
DanInAZ wrote: 4 years ago For those that stated this game doesn't mean anything... I say I will see you a #3rd seed instead of a #4 seed. 21 wins! Two to 23. Get to 23, baby!
What’s 23? A home game in the NIT?
So says the pessimist.
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Thank you lord for letting us win. Thank u Fatts for making those final FT's.

I love the 3 way better than the 4 for Brooklyn

Let St Louis beat the daylights out of Dayton
3 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel like Cox is in over his head. I've resisted to this point, but I just cannot figure out his seemingly ridiculous decisions in these games.
idk about that, he's a second year coach. He's not polished. The calling time out after a made basket seems like more a nervous tick than anything else
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

And it is the fact we are a 3 seed and not the 4th that you failed to address. Would you rather face Dayton in the Semi's with 22 wins or have 23 wins and be in the final?
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Long played a great game tongiht. Give that kid some credit. He played great D against a guy giving up a lot of height and weight to...
9 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Jesus fuck
Best post on Keaney Blue Ever
I laughed at the first post and then laughed more stating it’s the best post. I’m still laughing. 😂
3 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To be fair Martin missed 2 wide open threes when up 12. Both shots were off good passing. He makes both, even 1 and that gets the lead to 15 or 18 and gives more breathing room. So there was some good movement they went cold.

Now Harris should have been back in when Mitchell went out with 4 fouls. They couldn’t take advantage.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Really disappointed in the coaching STAFF. Not just Cox but do any of the others make any suggestions?
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Any idea who wins the tie-breaker between Duquesne and St. Bonaventure as they split during the season? The loser of that will be the likely opponent Friday.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Hey let’s look at the positives we did something SLU, VCU and Duquesne couldn’t do and that was winning at UMess even though it was ugly it was a dub!
7 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I think both Harris and Long had excellent games against a future NBA player. Long in particular giving up a lot of size, and playing good defense.

Harris had Mitchell contained until the "scary" foul that turned out to be less than nothing. Mission accomplished, Tre managed to get Jermaine off his back.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

The offense (and I use that term loosely) was absolutely pathetic for most of the second half. No player or ball movement at all. Then I switch to other games and I see baseline screens, back door plays and all kinds of cutting and moving.
I don’t know if it’s coaches not calling plays or players not running plays that were called, but they better figure things out quickly or they’re going home on Friday night.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I was hoping for a momentum starting win . This was half right , a win . But I don't see any momentum coming from it . On the positive side ,
they did shoot the ball much better for the first ten minutes of the game except for poor free throw shooting once again . After that I don't know what the hell happened except for the free throw misses and their stupid passing . After hitting everything , they reverted to hitting nothing. does Harris
have some type of injury that tightens up after he plays awhile ? He rarely plays much in the second half of games as was mentioned above . Dowtin
and Russell had horrendous shooting games and Martin went cold after a great start . Will just have to hope for the best in Brooklyn without any expectations .Just win on Friday , then we will at least have one more game to watch . Then who knows ?
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

At the point where I’m just happy with a win. Lowering expectations
3 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We swept UMass! I really don't care about the close scores.
3 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago The offense (and I use that term loosely) was absolutely pathetic for most of the second half. No player or ball movement at all. Then I switch to other games and I see baseline screens, back door plays and all kinds of cutting and moving.
I don’t know if it’s coaches not calling plays or players not running plays that were called, but they better figure things out quickly or they’re going home on Friday night.
Yes watch Murray State play on ESPN2 rn against Belmont. Watching Rhody on offense is just flat out disgusting and that is on the coaching staff.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Sure we had some boneheaded decisions, but we missed so many wide open shots.

I mean I dont know what you're suppose to do about that.

We were pretty good for the vast majority of the game.

After we were up 54-40 we refused to score.

Gotta love sweeping stupid UMass.

Got a good 6 days to get ready for our last chance.

Go Rhody.

Why no Harris?? Hes finally producing and hes still rotting on the bench.
3 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago Any idea who wins the tie-breaker between Duquesne and St. Bonaventure as they split during the season? The loser of that will be the likely opponent Friday.
Bonnies. They were 0-1 vs. Dayton while Dukes were 0-2.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I think we avoid Dayton until the finals now. Actually a huge win.
We have to get to the finals. We have to get past Friday. How can anyone feel confident about anything right now.

Looking forward to seeing the guardians at MetLife stadium on Saturday
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

I am having trouble going to sleep after that game. Wound up. Does anyone know where I can get the relaxing slow-motion-potion that Tyrese takes during games. It works for him. Gotta work for me.
3 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago As much as I love the W and will take it, URI still looks apathetic and inconsistent. Much like my 16YO son.
Looked great for the first ten mins.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I’m happy they won and got the 3 seed but

I had a 3 game parlay going on

Lasalle even vs st joe
George mason -2 vs Fordham
And URI -3

Which was looking really great when uri was up like 17
1 x
Clapton is God
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Damn that was a good bet that u lost
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Again, another win that felt like a loss, UMass is not a good team, I dont care how well they've been playing, they have 1 guy who can score with any consistency but yet we have nobody who can slow him down. I'm done figuring out what Cox is trying to do with these timeouts, I wish someone would ask him in the post game interview, what is the strategy? If anyone on UMass knocks down any of the wide open looks they got we lose this game. This team has shown very little fight the past 2 weeks and they just have the look of a defeated team, not sure how anyone could expect an extended stay in Brooklyn. Here we come NIT...
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

And Assistant Coach Slick was not in the handshake line...he immediately retreated to the locker room.

For the record, black suit, black shirt and black tie tonight.
5 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Then again, if anyone on our team knocked down the open shots we had (including FT's), we would have blown them out.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Turn on ESPN and watch how Belmont took the lead on Murray State with a tourney bid on the line with a couple seconds left. That is coaching. Actual set plays by coach
3 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I didn't think we played that bad of a game all things considered...especially when you compare it to what we have seen from them the last few weeks on both ends of the floor.

Ball movement was much better...lot less high ball screen with Langevine out at the three point line (which more times than not seems to slow the offense down and get guys standing around). Plus, our defense was finally showing some life.

Not blaming the officiating by any means, but the calls definitely didn't favor us tonight overall, which didn't help matters. I watched on TV and that call on Tre at the end was not a bail out. He definitely hit Fatts with some body, you could see it clear as day on the replay. It wasn't egregious by any means, but neither were some of the fouls we had called on us throughout the game, so I'm fine with them calling that.

And can we please put this in perspective. Tre Mitchell went 6-8 from three. Let me repeat that. He shot 6 for f'n 8 from three. In case you don't have your calculator on you, that's 75%. Let me repeat...75 f'n %. What other big man in the A10 (aside from maybe Obi), let alone the country, is shooting that type of % from three! And it's not like the majority of them weren't contested. We played some aggressive D on him tonight. If he misses two of those 3's (which would STILL have him shooting 50% from 3!), and we hit a few more shots in the second half, we win by double digits, and there's a lot less griping going on.

I digress tho. I guess I saw a glimmer of hope tonight, and it felt good after two+ weeks of disgusting. It was nice to see that the team didn't just roll over. That they do have some fight left in them. Do I think its likely we get to the A10 finals in Bkln? No, but this at least gave me a sliver of hope.
10 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Turn on ESPN and watch how Belmont took the lead on Murray State with a tourney bid on the line with a couple seconds left. That is coaching. Actual set plays by coach
I thought the exact same thing when I saw that play.
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Also, Fatts actually looked to pass a bit more tonight on some of his drives, which was encouraging. His team leading 5 assists shows that. He still had a gross FG% and took the second most shots tonight behind Martin, but I'll take an improvement in the assist department from him. Will only help to open things up a bit more for him if he shows he's willing to make the pass a little more. Still has to start hitting his open shots tho.
3 x
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

In general I think Harris plays poor defense and suspect that is why Cox doesn’t trust him in close games in the second half. Personally I think Harris has been doing better lately. But I did think Mekhi played Mitchell tough tonight until he fouled out.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Cox’s time out after we scored with about 25 seconds left almost killed us yet again. Why he continues to call timeouts after we score is mind boggling.
3 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Turn on ESPN and watch how Belmont took the lead on Murray State with a tourney bid on the line with a couple seconds left. That is coaching. Actual set plays by coach
I thought the exact same thing when I saw that play.
It was a beautiful play perfectly executed
0 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Since I'm among those who have been critical of the warmup line coming out of halftime, it was nice to see them come out with something resembling a purpose tonight. Not only did they come out well before UMass, but after missing all 3 of his first-half FT attempts, Jeff spent a good two minutes doing nothing but taking free throws (of course, then he didn't go to the line again in the second half, but it was still nice to see).
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I had plans tonight and didn't watch for the first time all season. I'm just going to assume we looked great and everything is just peachy heading into Brooklyn!

11 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

GET TO THE FINAlS!

F3~K RICHMOND!

GO RHODY!
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago And Assistant Coach Slick was not in the handshake line...he immediately retreated to the locker room.

For the record, black suit, black shirt and black tie tonight.
Dressed for a funeral.

Also, everyone is talking about Tre Mitchell to the NBA. He’s not gonna get very far with his “defense”. Dude couldn’t guard a fire hydrant.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

4,053 came out to the Mullins Center tonight. It was the second largest home crowd of the season in the 9,493 seat arena behind only the 5,030 for the game versus Dayton. UMass averaged 2,717 per game this season.
2 x