Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by bigappleram »

Hell no!! Coach him up. But we are an infinitely worse team next year without him.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No way.

I dont expect him to struggle that much longer. I mean he went almost the entire year without struggling at all. I just see his current downfall as a normal slump. Dont think it will necessarily continue into next year.

He will also have way more help. Defenses have keyed on him big time lately. With more help itll open up for him.
He also just needs a few shots to fall and it's on again.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This is what they have. I think Fatts is essential.

Russell
(Sheppard)

Harris
Martin
Walker
(Johnson)

Long
Toppin

Leggett*
Wood*

(open)
(open)
(open)

I want Fatts to have the year Christian Vital’s had. It took a ton of work and coaching and buying in, but when it works, it’s a special thing to watch.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Hell no!! Coach him up. But we are an infinitely worse team next year without him.
.......I would be pissed, and above.......regarding “he will have way help.......” did I miss something?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Ok so doing a lot of thinking last few days and I have a question for all of KB nation.

If this new transfer rule comes into play and Fatts decides to transfer to a higher level school would you be happy or pissed?

Although it would make next year harder for you think it would be helpful to the program in the long run?

By saying that it would allow younger players more playing time now and more time to get together.

I am not saying I hope he goes but jus tendering peoples opinions.
I'd be indifferent. If Fatts left when Hurley did I think you could make the argument it would have been more helpful in the long run but at this point if we want any hope of making the tournament next year then we absolutely need Fatts.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

While Fatts has struggled badly these last three weeks, he essentially carried this team for the first three months. We would have no where near 20 wins if not for his contributions.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Absolutely! It makes all the sense in the world to encourage our best player to transfer. While we're at it, lets move our games back to Keaney Gym because there are too many empty seats at the Ryan Center. :roll:
5 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PS: This is why we're not allowed to have nice things.
6 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

You guys are idiots. Four games ago people were talking about Fatts being one of the all-time greatest players at URI. Now you’re wondering if he has a spot on the team. Comments like this greatly diminish the credibility that the KB board offers. I get it it’s somebody’s opinion, but it sounds completely moronic when people pile on.
Feel free to root for another program if you’re going to constantly bash the team.. it doesn’t help.
10 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago You guys are idiots. Four games ago people were talking about Fatts being one of the all-time greatest players at URI. Now you’re wondering if he has a spot on the team. Comments like this greatly diminish the credibility that the KB board offers. I get it it’s somebody’s opinion, but it sounds completely moronic when people pile on.
Feel free to root for another program if you’re going to constantly bash the team.. it doesn’t help.
It was literally one person, maybe one and a half.
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I can't imagine Fatts not being on the team next year and I do not want to.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Ok so doing a lot of thinking last few days and I have a question for all of KB nation.

If this new transfer rule comes into play and Fatts decides to transfer to a higher level school would you be happy or pissed?

Although it would make next year harder for you think it would be helpful to the program in the long run?

By saying that it would allow younger players more playing time now and more time to get together.

I would be very pissed. I can't really think of a situation where your best player leaving would ever be a good thing.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

I would be very pissed. I can't really think of a situation where your best player leaving would ever be a good thing.
Let’s be honest. He has been off his game recently and has not shot well, but will be the best player on our team next year. Every single player on this team is accountable for this collapse. He isn’t as good as he showed early in the year and isn’t as bad as he has played recently.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Let’s be honest. He has been off his game recently and has no shot well, but will be the best player on our team next year. Every single player on this team is accountable for this collapse. He isn’t as good as he showed early in the year and isn’t as bad as he has played recently.
Yeah, he's streaky, always has been and probably always will be. The hope would be that when he is off there are others there to pick up the slack. That hasn't been the case as of late. But bottom line he is still the 3rd leading scorer in the conference. Losing him for next year would be a disaster.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Pissed.

He’s getting physically beat up every game now. It’s a tactic. He’s got nobody outside to make a shot. The offense has ground to a halt. We’re getting man handled as a team.

I hope he sees it thru
6 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

One more thing: wonder if he could use the mid range game to offset the sagging a little bit. Pull up off the drive. Easier said than done when the lane is all clogged and he’s getting bodied by bigger defenders
3 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

Fatts is has consistently been the most exciting player to watch on the court this year. So explosive and confident and fun to watch. He's had a tough few games this year but give him a break. When he's on we are a really dangerous team. Without him not so much.
7 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

This is just idiotic to think it would benefit the team in any way...there was a scout at the Fordham game for Fatts...but we would be better without him??
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago One more thing: wonder if he could use the mid range game to offset the sagging a little bit. Pull up off the drive. Easier said than done when the lane is all clogged and he’s getting bodied by bigger defenders
Good take!

He has been automatic from that area.

I also would like to see us basically refuse to take threes unless they are wide open.

Jeff, Rese, Harris, Toppin all need to try and take it to the hoop more.

Just need more aggression on both ends of the court.

That's how we got out of the slump before.

Cox said they got back to defensive principals and it carried our energy into every facet of the game.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Geesh.
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

This time last year I was drawing unfortunate comparisons to Akeem Richmond. Ain't no way anyone goes from that to the best player in the country in a calendar year. So Fatts was bound for a regression at some point, but short of getting a tough rebound there is NO ONE I'd rather go to battle with when it's nut crunching time.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

URI has enough going for it that players seem invested in being a representative of the program instead of trying to jump ship.
2 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

First off if you read the post I said I am not saying I hope he goes.

I was just trying to see how people felt.

I do find it funny that people think that next years team will be better than this years. Based on what losing a top 3 PG in program history and a warrior down low. Go ahead try and replace that.

It’s funny how people react to other’s opinions on the internet. Exactly why society is the way it is. No respect for others opinions.

I have watched almost 40 years of URI hoops sitting around The same people for most of those years. I know what this program is and guess what there really hasn’t been any improvement in this program since the Ryan Center was built 20 years ago. With double the ticket sales and higher prices nothing much changes.

A few good years here and there then back to the middle of the pack. After the few good years the coach leaves and we start all over again.

We are who we are. Unless someone hits powerball and decides to give URI BASKETBALL a ton of money that can only be spent on basketball then this is what we get.

So don’t say that my question about Fatts is the reason this program is the way it is. It’s the way it is because this university is cash strapped and can’t afford it to be any other way. Too many sports that take a pot of money to run. Look at the track program. Most successful program at the school yet they don’t have an outdoor facility because the old one has been condemned since I was a student in the 80’s.

Think Big, We do! Unless we have to find the money to do something.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago One more thing: wonder if he could use the mid range game to offset the sagging a little bit. Pull up off the drive. Easier said than done when the lane is all clogged and he’s getting bodied by bigger defenders
Absolutely agree with this. I’ve stated this several times throughout the year in different threads. Play to your strengths. Three point shooting is not one of them. This applies to the entire team, not just Fatts. Forget about the “either take it to the rim or shoot a three” metrics of the modern game. Stick with the best way to score given the skills of the players on your roster.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago First off if you read the post I said I am not saying I hope he goes.

I was just trying to see how people felt.

I do find it funny that people think that next years team will be better than this years. Based on what losing a top 3 PG in program history and a warrior down low. Go ahead try and replace that.

It’s funny how people react to other’s opinions on the internet. Exactly why society is the way it is. No respect for others opinions.

I have watched almost 40 years of URI hoops sitting around The same people for most of those years. I know what this program is and guess what there really hasn’t been any improvement in this program since the Ryan Center was built 20 years ago. With double the ticket sales and higher prices nothing much changes.

A few good years here and there then back to the middle of the pack. After the few good years the coach leaves and we start all over again.

We are who we are. Unless someone hits powerball and decides to give URI BASKETBALL a ton of money that can only be spent on basketball then this is what we get.

So don’t say that my question about Fatts is the reason this program is the way it is. It’s the way it is because this university is cash strapped and can’t afford it to be any other way. Too many sports that take a pot of money to run. Look at the track program. Most successful program at the school yet they don’t have an outdoor facility because the old one has been condemned since I was a student in the 80’s.

Think Big, We do! Unless we have to find the money to do something.
I LOVE CYRIL.

However, he is easily replaceable by a 6’10 body with some post moves.

That’s all I have to say.

Jeff shoes will leave a huge void, but Sheppard is a better shooter.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

It is beyond belief to even be commenting about Fatts like this.
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

If the new transfer rule takes effect, it will absolutely destroy CBB. If players move year to year because they have a bad few weeks with no sit out period, I will officially be DONE watching. It really should not happen, there will be very little continuity in the game, the NCAA continues to show its incompetence.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Mongo wrote: 4 years ago If the new transfer rule takes effect, it will absolutely destroy CBB. If players move year to year because they have a bad few weeks with no sit out period, I will officially be DONE watching. It really should not happen, there will be very little continuity in the game, the NCAA continues to show its incompetence.
Totally agree. It will be a HUGE detriment. Why are they even considering catering to this? ME ME ME, all about ME. Getting really old really quickly.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

ace wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago You guys are idiots. Four games ago people were talking about Fatts being one of the all-time greatest players at URI. Now you’re wondering if he has a spot on the team. Comments like this greatly diminish the credibility that the KB board offers. I get it it’s somebody’s opinion, but it sounds completely moronic when people pile on.
It was literally one person, maybe one and a half.
I wasn’t referring to everyone. Just those making those statements. The majority of the people on this board are intellectually sound individuals. A few fall outside that though. 8-)
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

#clutch
4 x
- Mr. Rogers
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

GOAT
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....live and die with him, often in the same game...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Our team can't make free throws.
Our Fatts can.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He has been clutch that's for sure!

I believe in him no matter what at the end of the game.

Of only he hadn't fouled out at Davidson....

Time for Fatts to rip the A-10 a new one in the conference tourney!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
Mongo wrote: 4 years ago If the new transfer rule takes effect, it will absolutely destroy CBB. If players move year to year because they have a bad few weeks with no sit out period, I will officially be DONE watching. It really should not happen, there will be very little continuity in the game, the NCAA continues to show its incompetence.
Totally agree. It will be a HUGE detriment. Why are they even considering catering to this? ME ME ME, all about ME. Getting really old really quickly.
Players will only be able to transfer once though, so its not like they can keep moving around every time they have a bad few weeks.

Also, I feel like saying it shouldn't be all about "ME ME ME" (the players) is just saying it should be all about "YOU YOU YOU" (the fan) instead. I was a little iffy about the idea at first, but after thinking about it more and talking to others about it, I don't see why the interest of the fans should outweigh the interest of the players.
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

WTF COX! When he’s struggling take him off the point. Switch it up. You’re giving the Ball to Jeff Dowtin Duh. Both these guys can play the role keep the defense guessing. You can actually switch it up in game constantly. As things work or they don’t. Ya think?

GO RHODY!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would be pissed if he goes but I don’t think he will

He has an outside shot to be our all time scorer

He is struggling of late but when he puts in his work in the summer he will be even better next year scoring over 20 a game ??
0 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Cox said they got back to defensive principals and it carried our energy into every facet of the game.
[/quote]

Well it's nice to see him finally acknowledge/understand this was the key component missing during our skid these last few weeks. I responded to a tweet of Cyril's basically saying this exact thing...get back to our lockdown team D and everything will open up from there.

We have obviously had more issues than just our defense recently, but the D should show up night in and night out in the same manner (just like the Hurley era). It certainly could've helped to get us the W at Davidson, possibly against St Louis as well (despite our offensive struggles). Hell it probably could've helped get us the wins against Brown and Richmond too.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

spar wrote: 4 years ago Cox said they got back to defensive principals and it carried our energy into every facet of the game.
Well it's nice to see him finally acknowledge/understand this was the key component missing during our skid these last few weeks. I responded to a tweet of Cyril's basically saying this exact thing...get back to our lockdown team D and everything will open up from there.

We have obviously had more issues than just our defense recently, but the D should show up night in and night out in the same manner (just like the Hurley era). It certainly could've helped to get us the W at Davidson, possibly against St Louis as well (despite our offensive struggles). Hell it probably could've helped get us the wins against Brown and Richmond too.
[/quote]

I for one thought our D was way better. We were all over UMass.

It's just Tre Mitchell is a stud.

Defense better.

Offense a little better.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Let’s be honest. He has been off his game recently and has not shot well, but will be the best player on our team next year. Every single player on this team is accountable for this collapse. He isn’t as good as he showed early in the year and isn’t as bad as he has played recently.
up

We should not solely look at "Every player on the team...." We need to look at all involved in the program and especially the entire coaching staff. Does anyone believe that the coaching from the Davidson game onward has been that of an elite" A10 program. ? Has this team gotten better as the year has progressed the same way that Richmond, St. Louis, UMass has?
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
uge

AGREE AGREE AGREE We are not the G-Leauge for so called Power 5 teams. !!!!
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Kid got it done last night, shooting was not great but with 5 assists I’ll take it. He has to shoot and drive to open up those passes and to both free throws with the pressure on. Also anyone catch the Umass fan in the Hawaiian shirt court side talking to Fatts in the first. He must have said something good because Fatts walked over exchanged words then turned back laughing
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago

up

We should not solely look at "Every player on the team...." We need to look at all involved in the program and especially the entire coaching staff. Does anyone believe that the coaching from the Davidson game onward has been that of an elite" A10 program. ? Has this team gotten better as the year has progressed the same way that Richmond, St. Louis, UMass has?
I believe the players and the coaching are responsible. There is a lack of focus and discipline which has come to light the last three weeks
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The college game continues to go downhill
Used to be 300 transfers per year
Then got the Grad Transfer and the 5th year rule that increased transfers
Now over 1000 Transfers per year
Inconsistency and confusion regarding transfer eligibility
P5 and Big East preferential treatment
P5 and BE Teams do not visit mid majors home courts. A shame it’s like this
20 game conference schedules. Leaves fewer OOC games to schedule.

Allowing transfers without a sit out period will ruin the game
Even if a limit of one transfer per player, players will challenge the legality of that limit. Players will eventually be able to transfer more than once

The College Game gets less interesting every year.

I’ll be much less interested if this proposal goes through.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't believe Fatts would be a key piece for any higher level program.
Also, The players known for next year makes next year a re-building year. We will not even make the NIT next year - a .500 record would be impressive. The question is whether Fatts will help or hurt the re-building of the program next year. If player development is less than I expect, then Fatts will help; otherwise Cox will need to reign in Fatts. Fatts wants to win by scoring more himself rather than providing better scoring opportunities for teammates. I'm neutral on Fatts staying or leaving. Leading a team in forced shots is not an endearing quality.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......he will be great leader in the........reload for next year.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here we go again,
Rhody72 called it a rebuilding year,
Or is it a reloading year?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Here we go again,
......my bad on potentially starting that debate again, my main point is that I think Fatts is gonna have a large roll next year, with the team on his back, in a positive way it will be his team......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Here we go again,
......my bad on potentially starting that debate again, my main point is that I think Fatts is gonna have a large roll next year, with the team on his back, in a positive way it will be his team......
Just kidding about the type of year :D :D
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Reloading from what?

I sure as heck would call it a rebuilding year.

We will have 5 [at minimum] new players next season.

Could be more if Sheppard doesn't play and there are more transfers.

That's basically half a new team.
0 x