[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ace wrote:It's a familiarity thing. You know him, you can call him Gil.
Makes sense. Gilvydas' tweet the other night was to the press, really.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Obadiah wrote:The reason people should get banned is because they come to taunt or to contradict excessively. rod did neither of those things, expletives are a minor issue because delete feature is always there. The best example was Brutus, now there was an asshole.
Lies, lies and more lies.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:
EZBuckets wrote:Says family likes it here and that having to rebuild programs during 2 of his 3 seasons as a head coach takes a huge toll and he isn't prepared to start from scratch once again.
Exactly! He hates losing. Ready for huge hump in wins next year and all that will come with it.
What do you mean? Losing as many games last season as he did in 9 years at St. Benedict's wasn't a good time? :)
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Hurley actually completely dodged the question on whether he'd talk to Rutgers. He praised the program and seemed to indicate that he's happy at URI but he didn't answer the question about an interest in Rutgers.

The one thing he did say is that rebuilding jobs are tough and it sounded like he had no interest in a rebuilding job.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

8:40 projo dot com.....

Not a peep.

Ram fans, nothing to see there.

Amazing really if you think about it, never mind no retraction or admission of stirring the pot, nothing.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

scine20 wrote:Hurley actually completely dodged the question on whether he'd talk to Rutgers. He praised the program and seemed to indicate that he's happy at URI but he didn't answer the question about an interest in Rutgers.

The one thing he did say is that rebuilding jobs are tough and it sounded like he had no interest in a rebuilding job.
This is somewhat concerning...I will feel much better when the job is filled (without Dan) and/or he publicly states that he is not interested.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RIFan wrote:
scine20 wrote:Hurley actually completely dodged the question on whether he'd talk to Rutgers. He praised the program and seemed to indicate that he's happy at URI but he didn't answer the question about an interest in Rutgers.

This is somewhat concerning...I will feel much better when the job is filled (without Dan) and/or he publicly states that he is not interested.
Even publicly stating no interest means nothing. Guys have done that and then taken the same job that they've said that they're not interested in.

The fact is is until the Rutgers job is filled by someone else, there will always be a small chance that Hurley takes it.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Let's face it, unless Dan totally flames out, we will go through this every year. If not Rutgers...somewhere else. Over time this could be bad on the recruiting trail...that's why Smart and Stevens are quick to say they are not interested.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

This thread is about a URI story and an important one, all the PC/PC Board stuff should be elsewhere.

Ram Jam coming back and trying to post like he's not here just to start trouble is hilarious, it's like when Costanza showed up to work the day after quitting.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

RIFan wrote:Let's face it, unless Dan totally flames out, we will go through this every year. If not Rutgers...somewhere else. Over time this could be bad on the recruiting trail...that's why Smart and Stevens are always quick to say they are not interested.
I actually would be surprised if Hurley were to go outside of the Northeast.

Outside of Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova, Temple and UConn, I don't see this as being much of an issue.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Not for nothing, but when Cordeschi wrote that article, it was under the impression that Rice was going to get fired for performance, not that Rice was going to get fired for being a douche, the AD was going to resign for sucking at his job, and that the school president could also be on his way out.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

To the folks who think there was a 2m offer on the table, there's no AD! The prez is hanging by a thread! Who exactly is making this offer?
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Not for nothing, but when Cordeschi wrote that article, it was under the impression that Rice was going to get fired for performance, not that Rice was going to get fired for being a douche, the AD was going to resign for sucking at his job, and that the school president could also be on his way out.
Yes, and Cordouchey must be bumming today...
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

scine20 wrote:
RIFan wrote:Let's face it, unless Dan totally flames out, we will go through this every year. If not Rutgers...somewhere else. Over time this could be bad on the recruiting trail...that's why Smart and Stevens are always quick to say they are not interested.
I actually would be surprised if Hurley were to go outside of the Northeast.

Outside of Rutgers, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova, Temple and UConn, I don't see this as being much of an issue.

I agree, but there's nothing from stopping others from asking.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

On the radio today, Dan said that he has NO INTEREST in talking to Rutgers.

What more can he say?

Yes, there's always a small chance that he could go, even after he signs the extension. Anything is possible.

But in this case, if Dan is now saying he's staying, I believe him. The guy has been upfront in everything he's said and done so far.

Rutgers, when they start their search, should be looking elsewhere.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RIFan wrote:

You're right. He didn't explicitly say he's not interested in the Rutgers job, but in the context of the interview you could tell that he likes the immediate prospects at URI more than at Rutgers. In short, if his goal is to make it to the NCAAs, it'll be achieved sooner at URI than it would be at Rutgers.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Rod why would any URI fan want to go on the pc board. Its bad enuff that they come on this board with there drivel.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'll bet it's not a coincidence that this extension will be signed about a week before LOI Day...very important that a potential recruit know that the coach is committed to the school....not only great news for the future, but great timing as well.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will relax a bit more when the extension is signed.....until then anything can happen.....I doubt he would leave immediately after signing the extension.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Essam, they had an 8 page thread chortling about how Dan was gone and what
idiots we had on our board, me in particular.
I haven't posted there since December. So I went on and posted the link about Hurley's extention.
And said, "Aww, I guess most of you were wrong!"
At that point, some piece of garbage calling himself McPoop, called me a pathetic old man.
I called him McShit and said karma was a bitch.
Go look at the thread. If Sean say otherwise, he's a LIAR.
For all the nervous Nellies here, IF DAN SAID HE'S NOT INTERESTED
IN RUTGERS, HE'S NOT!
Who's going to offer him the job and negotiate terms, Chris Christie?
Give me a break. Some of you people are so negative.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

OK... So we've got multiple people saying that Hurley specifically said that he "is not interested" in the Rutgers job. A few other people are typing that Hurley dodged the question and/or never said that. Which is it?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like its too late to go back and listen to the interview on that previous link. Anybody know of another one?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who cares? In the end, he stays in a better situation than before.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This entire thread is an eerie reminder of the rollercoaster of emotions that Rhody fans experienced in and around April 1st, 1998. May there be a much happier ending this time.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rod,

So you do admit now that you said more that sh*t. That's the first step...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Looks like its too late to go back and listen to the interview on that previous link. Anybody know of another one?
Full interview available here:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9143627
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sean, I've made my peace with Rich Coren. No hard feelings with him.
It's his board and he's free to run it as he wishes.
End of story.
It's amazing what internet "tough" guys will say that they wouldn't, if they were face to face.
I'll leave it at that.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ben wrote:OK... So we've got multiple people saying that Hurley specifically said that he "is not interested" in the Rutgers job. A few other people are typing that Hurley dodged the question and/or never said that. Which is it?
Ben, I posted the direct link to the Hurley interview so you can review, but when I listened, Dan did not say the words "not interested" and didn't directly answer that question. However, the way he DID answer did not worry me one bit. He may have interest in the job way down the line, but certainly not now when he knows he can win next year and make a NCAA run in year 3.
0 x
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

The next big hurdle with Dan Hurley will be when Jim Boeheim retires in a few years. Remember you heard it first.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

MrRamsDen76 wrote:The next big hurdle with Dan Hurley will be when Jim Boeheim retires in a few years. Remember you heard it first.
So says the guy with six posts. Please. Mike Hopkins is the coach in waiting at Syracuse. It's already been negotiated.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Great synopsis of Hurley's statements to Ian O'Connor.....while not specifically saying so the clear implication is that he will stay at Rhody.....I don't think the timing of all this was great for Hurley, in that I believe he would have loved being the head coach at Rutgers....

...in spite of how many here feel about the media and the perception that they were telling Hurley to go.....I believe they just were writing and saying what many here believe....that the lure of a major conference coaching gig in a home state where your name is tantamount to gold is very difficult to turn down...

...I don't think they were advising him to go or telling him to go....

...just as I believe they will say Ledo is making a mistake by leaving school to go into a draft where his position is quite nebulous.....not because they want pc to very good....but because the decision seems stupid going forward....

.....if he goes and is a top-12 kind of pick it may be a good decision for him.....as of now we have no way of knowing.....but 98% of us feel he needs to stay.....and the writers write that....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Well played by Coach Hurley, if the extension is true. He feigns interest in a job he probably didn't want, gets his buddies in the NY press to anoint him as the one and only choice. He makes the folks at URI nervous and they give him a longer contract.
It kills the Rutgers talk and helps recruits believe Hurley will be around long term. Of course this works one way. If Hurley gets to say, the Sweet 16 in two years, he can get out of URI faster than you can say Enfield and URI has no power. If Hurley is a dud (and I doubt that will happen), URI is obligated to pay him for the full contract. The Coach and Mrs. Hurley raised no fool in Dan.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry Ramulous, it's us against them and always has been.
Don't give the local yokels credit they don't deserve.
The tone was mocking in many cases.
Rooke finding any and every story he could tweet or reference,
Donaldson's pap piece. and Cordishi's chest pounding about his being right.
The TV locals blasting it as if it were an inevitability.
No, they wanted him gone.
I never thought he would until I got some emails from people who were good
sources in the past, saying he was behind the scenes trying to get the Rutgers job.
I still preferenced everything with "If this is true".
He's staying, he says he's happy and excited about being here. What else does anyone want him to say?
Rosie, the additional two years means the buyout of his contract is two years bigger,
which would give funds toward paying whoever the new coach would be, IF he decides to leave.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I have little respect for Rooke and Cordischi as journalists......my perception is that their biases trump their objectivity.....as for the others locally I don't get that feeling......Donaldson, Reynolds, Kenyon.......I am less sure on MacNamara....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The reason some of us have to rely on outside sources so much is because the local people (I refuse to call some of them journalists) are so inept at providing accurate information about URI. This isn't paranoia. Anyone who has been around here long enough knows it's true.
So, every now and then these sources will get it wrong. But, if it wasn't for these sources, we'd have nothing.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote:I have little respect for Rooke and Cordischi as journalists......my perception is that their biases trump their objectivity.....as for the others locally I don't get that feeling......Donaldson, Reynolds, Kenyon.......I am less sure on MacNamara....
Neither rooke or sc said they thought DH should go. They reported that Rutgers was interested and that based on his ties to the area and other factors; he would be a candidate.

Before you condemn them for that; read all the posts yesterday damning Hurley w hn you thought he was gone.

Don't shoot the messenger. You also just called JD objective...so there's that.
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

ESPN reports that Hurley has made statement about staying at URI :)
0 x
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

Is there an e-mail address for the athletic department or Dan? I think a bunch of us should send thank you e-mails for staying with the program and show him that there is a lot of fan support that exists for this program regardless of the mediocre fan turnout last year.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'm not a fan of Rooke and Cordischi. Rooke is a PC employee, so there you go. Cordischi likes to draw attention to himself with wild speculation.
That said, I heard their Saturday show and neither indicated that Hurley was leaving. Both said he would be a popular candidate and there was buzz in the NJ about him. Which we already knew.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

danhurley@uri.edu,
tbjorn@uri.edu,
Just put the first initial and last name @ uri.edu
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
adam914 wrote:Looks like its too late to go back and listen to the interview on that previous link. Anybody know of another one?
Full interview available here:
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9143627
Thank you!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

slojo finally has a story....from Mike McDermott

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... sland.html
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I have no problem with the media handling of this.......I do believe Rooke and Cordischi are not good journalists....I never said they were advocating for Hurley to leave....
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Awesome to see that ESPN article about him staying on the front page headlines of ESPN.com
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Our new column and (old) clip from Hurley is up.

Thanks, Jim.

Amazing to listen to Dan's response when he was new around here to your question: "Can you give us a reasonable expectation that you might be here a few years?"

Great interview. I'd love for you to get another one this Fall just before the season.

"I'm not a mover..." - Dan Hurley
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Our new column and (old) clip from Hurley is up.

I know that's an old interview, but Dan's statements get me pumped up all over again.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

seanmc94 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I have little respect for Rooke and Cordischi as journalists......my perception is that their biases trump their objectivity.....as for the others locally I don't get that feeling......Donaldson, Reynolds, Kenyon.......I am less sure on MacNamara....
Neither rooke or sc said they thought DH should go. They reported that Rutgers was interested and that based on his ties to the area and other factors; he would be a candidate.

Before you condemn them for that; read all the posts yesterday damning Hurley w hn you thought he was gone.

Don't shoot the messenger. You also just called JD objective...so there's that.
Sean: You continue to spin this. Cordischi might not have said he should go but he said he WOULD go. That's a fact. You can look it up. So he was WRONG, but now that Hurley has presumably withdrawn his name even though there was a decent chance he would be offered Cordischi says the only reason he was wrong was because the AD was fired. Well,the only reason he was almost right was because the tapes were released and Rice was fired, something Cordischi couldn't foresee in Feb.
Do me a favor:keep you analysis of Cordischi and Rooke to their reporting on PC, because you're built-in bias doesn't enable you to see theirs.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

So I have a bias...but everyone here is completely objective...RIGHT...
0 x