The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by eli#10 »

Will there be any "quiet periods" when contact is prohibited between schools and players? Somehow there has to be a way of preventing players from bailing out on their team at a late date and being able to play right away at their new school. If one transfers at a late date he still has to sit out a year would make sense.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This guy was one of the lone bright spots on La Salle this year.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Wonder if he heard from all these schools before or after he decided to transfer ...
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obviously not a happy bunch at Lasalle
Leading scorer and rebounder decides to transfer BEFORE the season is over.

He last played the Davidson game. Did not play St Bonaventure and will not play in the upcoming games.

https://explorertown.proboards.com/thre ... ing?page=6
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Wonder if he heard from all these schools before or after he decided to transfer ...
I think it is safe to assume that in 2020, anyone who is transferring knows that they have at least one "safe" landing spot.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I wouldn't be happy seeing Fatts playing for Duke or Virginia next year.
Why would he want to though? He's an undersized guard who loves being the underdog and is king of this team - it will be HIS team next year.

Not sure why he'd want to leave that situation as a senior.

Because he could play for a national title contender that would give him so many more accolades and visibility.

eg see Eric Pascal
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

SGreenwell wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Wonder if he heard from all these schools before or after he decided to transfer ...
I think it is safe to assume that in 2020, anyone who is transferring knows that they have at least one "safe" landing spot.
There’s a difference between that and having coaches calling unsolicited to whisper sweet nothings in your ear. The latter is what will happen with this new rule.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
There’s a difference between that and having coaches calling unsolicited to whisper sweet nothings in your ear. The latter is what will happen with this new rule.
You are right Red.

Looking at last 5 years of all Rookie Teams there have been 12 of 25 transfer. There could be more with the last two years more recent

Does not include a Jared Bynum (St Joseph’s to PC) or Izaiah Brockington (St Bonaventure to Penn State) who did not make All Rookie.

The floodgates will open wide with the elimination of the 1 year sit out requirement

2018-2019 All-Rookie Team
Sincere Carry, Duquesne
Nick Honor, Fordham - Clemson
Obi Toppin, Dayton
Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure

2017-2018 All-Rookie Team
Kellan Grady, Davidson
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton
Eric Williams, Jr., Duquesne - Oregon
Grant Golden, Richmond
Hasahn French, Saint Louis

2016-2017 All-Rookie Team
Mike Lewis II, Duquesne - Nevada
Isiaha Mike, Duquesne - SMU
Jeff Dowtin, Rhode Island
De'Monte Buckingham, Richmond - Cal State Bakersfield
Charlie Brown, Saint Joseph's

2015-2016 All-Rookie Team
Joseph Chartouny, Fordham - Marquette
Otis Livingston, George Mason
Lamarr Kimble, Saint Joseph's - Louisville-Grad
Jermaine Bishop, Saint Louis - Norfolk State
Khwan Fore, Richmond - Louisville

2014-2015 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
Peyton Aldridge, Davidson
Eric Paschall, Fordham - Villanova
Christian Sengfelder, Fordham - Boise State, Germany
Jared Terrell, URI
Milik Yarbrough, Saint Louis - Illinois State
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Happened to come across this in the (Bridgeport) Connecticut Post https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/jeffja ... 102909.php:

On the road to a program-record 19 victories this season, Sacred Heart coach Anthony Latina has been stung and stung hard. Twice.

In 2016, guard Cane Broome, NEC Player of the Year who had averaged 23.1 points as a sophomore, transferred to Cincinnati. In 2017, Quincy McKnight, first-team All-NEC guard who had averaged 18.9 points as a sophomore, transferred to Seton Hall. McKnight still plays for the eighth-ranked Pirates, averaging 11.6 points and 5.4 assists.

So, yes, Latina knows the pain and painful lessons of April transfers.

Hard to imagine that two players from low-major Sacred Heart just happened to have safe landing places at Cincinnati and Seton Hall.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'm not sure what the new rule has to do with it - All of these people talk to one another. Like, you think Jared Terrell had zero contact with anyone connected with URI before he transferred here? What about Walker? I'm positive the back channels have helped us out when *we* want a transfer, so I'm not going to complain when other schools are doing it too.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

I'm not sure what the new rule has to do with it - All of these people talk to one another. Like, you think Jared Terrell had zero contact with anyone connected with URI before he transferred here? What about Walker? I'm positive the back channels have helped us out when *we* want a transfer, so I'm not going to complain when other schools are doing it too.
All I'm saying is that with the new rule it's open season, and non-Cartel coaches will have their rosters torn up at any time.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Terrell didn’t transfer here. Recruited
by us, committed to OSU, decommitted, then obviously we recruited him again.
0 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

You are right Red.

Looking at last 5 years of all Rookie Teams there have been 12 of 25 transfer. There could be more with the last two years more recent

Does not include a Jared Bynum (St Joseph’s to PC) or Izaiah Brockington (St Bonaventure to Penn State) who did not make All Rookie.

The floodgates will open wide with the elimination of the 1 year sit out requirement

2018-2019 All-Rookie Team
Sincere Carry, Duquesne
Nick Honor, Fordham - Clemson
Obi Toppin, Dayton
Kyle Lofton, St. Bonaventure
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure

2017-2018 All-Rookie Team
Kellan Grady, Davidson
Jalen Crutcher, Dayton
Eric Williams, Jr., Duquesne - Oregon
Grant Golden, Richmond
Hasahn French, Saint Louis

2016-2017 All-Rookie Team
Mike Lewis II, Duquesne - Nevada
Isiaha Mike, Duquesne - SMU
Jeff Dowtin, Rhode Island
De'Monte Buckingham, Richmond - Cal State Bakersfield
Charlie Brown, Saint Joseph's

2015-2016 All-Rookie Team
Joseph Chartouny, Fordham - Marquette
Otis Livingston, George Mason
Lamarr Kimble, Saint Joseph's - Louisville-Grad
Jermaine Bishop, Saint Louis - Norfolk State
Khwan Fore, Richmond - Louisville

2014-2015 ALL-ROOKIE TEAM
Peyton Aldridge, Davidson
Eric Paschall, Fordham - Villanova
Christian Sengfelder, Fordham - Boise State, Germany
Jared Terrell, URI
Milik Yarbrough, Saint Louis - Illinois State
The rule will help to send college basketball on an even quicker decline. I think some people mentioned that they were tired of senior night because of the way we have played on that night. There is little need to worry about that any longer as very few players will remain at one school 4 years. They will go to bigger schools or meet up with their friends. I’m betting Fatts would have left with Hurley or gone somewhere else after his freshman or sophomore year with everything that took place. Not having to sit means a much worse college basketball for the future.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Has this rule been approved yet? For next season?

Was it approved while I was away? I thought it hadn't been at this point.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Speaking of transfers - that Pipkins pick-up isn’t looking so bad now.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t think it’s official yet but it is likely to be approved ??
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Don't be surprised if one or two transfer out after this season.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Don't be surprised if one or two transfer out after this season.
Oh no....
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Oh yes.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 4 years agoOh yes.
You have sources inside that know I’m guessing?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......are we gonna start speculating on who?......I hope not, think would not be in the best interest and well being of the student athletes while the season, post season remains......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Don't be surprised if one or two transfer out after this season.
Any ideas or just speculation?
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

If true- it’s going to be a problem as only 6 players(contributors) from this years squad are returning- not counting DJ or Sheppard
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I 100% expect transfers. That’s the norm for our program now.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Not that I think it’s much of a loss, but I was told by a booster to your program that Long is a likely transfer.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PCFriars wrote: 4 years ago Not that I think it’s much of a loss, but I was told by a booster to your program that Long is a likely transfer.
That would make 3 out of 4 from this year's class....75% (and I wasn't even a math major!)....not good.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Why would long transfer ?

He gets enough playing time for the productivity he has brought this year

Do we have a coaching problem ?

This is just speculation tho - it’s not like it’s fact - I guess we will see
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

I truthfully know nothing except what I was told by this gentleman who is generally pretty plugged in to the URI program. Who knows.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I have zero connections within the team however i did attend the George Mason game and the above statement might hold some truth based on something i observed at the Mason game. At one point Long went to the bench and seemed pretty frustrated. Someone in the crowd directly in front of me, which i thought to be one of the player’s mothers, yelled to either Long or Harris and said “it’s only until the end of the year keep your head up”. I thought it was odd at the time and thought maybe Long was injured. JH was riding a stationary bike behind the bench at the same time so i wasn’t 100% sure if they were talking to Long or JH because i was talking to my buddy while it transpired. Maybe it wasn’t anything but it stuck out to me and i was thinking at the time either injury frustration or possible transfer. If i had to guess they were talking to Long. Hopefully nothing to it but i guess we will see.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Yikes. I thing Long is going to be good in a couple of years. This is bad if true.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Not good......
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Toppin, Martin, and Fatts are all highly coveted free agents in the no sit out world. Time will tell. Welcome to the new world of college athletics.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It was even happening in the old world. 12 of 25 from the All Rookie Teams the past 5 years have transferred. It’s about to get far worse with no restrictions.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Why would long transfer ?

He gets enough playing time for the productivity he has brought this year

Do we have a coaching problem ?

This is just speculation tho - it’s not like it’s fact - I guess we will see
Short answer - yes
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a bunch of crap. The NCAA needs to stop this madness of constant transferring and Cox needs to get a grip of this team.
5 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 years ago I have zero connections within the team however i did attend the George Mason game and the above statement might hold some truth based on something i observed at the Mason game. At one point Long went to the bench and seemed pretty frustrated. Someone in the crowd directly in front of me, which i thought to be one of the player’s mothers, yelled to either Long or Harris and said “it’s only until the end of the year keep your head up”. I thought it was odd at the time and thought maybe Long was injured. JH was riding a stationary bike behind the bench at the same time so i wasn’t 100% sure if they were talking to Long or JH because i was talking to my buddy while it transpired. Maybe it wasn’t anything but it stuck out to me and i was thinking at the time either injury frustration or possible transfer. If i had to guess they were talking to Long. Hopefully nothing to it but i guess we will see.

So weird.

Why?????
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

If there is indeed 1 or 2 transfers at the end of this season we may be heading for the abyss. It would mean players that are playing are leaving. That screams coaching issue and will certainly affect recruiting. Not good news
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I don’t think it is the abyss of 1 or 2 guys leave (unless it is Tyrese, Jacob or Fatts). I can see Mekhi being frustrated because on a team with 8 guys playing and and no reserve guards he is averaging 13 mins a game. In fairness, I don’t think he brings a lot of instant offense off the bench so it is tough to insert him when we need scoring. Going back to another thread topic, this is why for the good of the team Fatts should come off the bench the rest of the season. Not having Jeremy to come in off the bench has hurt this team. When the starters aren’t scoring the bench guys can’t provide any change of pace.
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

The Long rumors are likely true. I’ve guessing they expected him to play 25-30 minutes a game. Outside of Fordham and a couple other games, he simply was not ready to play. But that’s most freshman. Families are a significant handicap to kids development.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I just don't get this. Do all Freshman coming into a program that returns all 5 starting players expect 20-30 minutes a game? What ever happened to earning your spot? Or are they promised more than they should be promised to get them here?
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago I just don't get this. Do all Freshman coming into a program that returns all 5 starting players expect 20-30 minutes a game? What ever happened to earning your spot? Or are they promised more than they should be promised to get them here?
One thing I’ve heard countless times in the recruiting section is that Cox promises NO ONE a set number on PT. It’s earned.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago I just don't get this. Do all Freshman coming into a program that returns all 5 starting players expect 20-30 minutes a game? What ever happened to earning your spot? Or are they promised more than they should be promised to get them here?
.......sad to say, but for me, it is a little of both, coupled with some kids see what is going on on the floor and think they could do better.....the human condition kicking in.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Don’t care what is said

I don’t like Toppin, Long and Walker getting only 10-25 minutes while Dowtin, Martin and Russell get 35-38.

And people keep saying how they are tired and beaten up.

Win win

Let Dowtin, Martin and Russell play 30 minutes. Get Toppin 25 minutes or more

No way Martin and Russell should be playing with 2 minutes left to a Dayton.

The Seniors Dowtin and Langevine Yes they should be playing til Cox takes them out to the crowd.

To me the bench has earned more minutes than they are getting and the 3 guard started are getting more minutes than they deserve. Martin and Russell shot a combined 5-25. 1-10 on 3Ps. 7-12 FTs. Martin 37 minutes, Russell 36 minutes.

Don’t know how earning comes into play there
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago The Long rumors are likely true. I’ve guessing they expected him to play 25-30 minutes a game. Outside of Fordham and a couple other games, he simply was not ready to play. But that’s most freshman. Families are a significant handicap to kids development.
Why would anyone expect Long to have ever have played 25-30 minutes a game? I didn’t take the time to look it up, but would have guessed going into the season 8-10 minutes a game prior to losing Tate and Hammonds and around 12-14 minutes at most after losing those two players. I think Long is a very good defensive player that will improve offensively as he goes, but no chance on this kind of minutes until maybe junior year.
1 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Shepard not being eligible and Tate transferring killed our bench. Both of those guys would be getting 20 mi utes a game.
While I think Long has potential he is fortunate to be getting as much time as he does.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago If there is indeed 1 or 2 transfers at the end of this season we may be heading for the abyss. It would mean players that are playing are leaving. That screams coaching issue and will certainly affect recruiting. Not good news
Making the tournament this year was so crucial to keeping the program together. We're going to become very easy to recruit against. Any coach we're going against for a recruit can point out we've had no success under Cox yet and the high amount of transfers and ask if this is really a program a recruit wants to commit to. It's hard to promote family and a winning culture when it hasn't been proven to have stayed after Hurley left yet
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago If there is indeed 1 or 2 transfers at the end of this season we may be heading for the abyss. It would mean players that are playing are leaving. That screams coaching issue and will certainly affect recruiting. Not good news
Making the tournament this year was so crucial to keeping the program together. We're going to become very easy to recruit against. Any coach we're going against for a recruit can point out we've had no success under Cox yet and the high amount of transfers and ask if this is really a program a recruit wants to commit to. It's hard to promote family and a winning culture when it hasn't been proven to have stayed after Hurley left yet
This is absolutely accurate in my opinion. If we have ANY current guys leave it would trigger a pretty ugly domino effect. What would we even be offering to a potential recruit at that point? Cant say our culture is good when people are running from it. Cant say we have great facilities - we dont. Cant say we have experienced coaching staff - Cox is a first time head coach (a mistake) and we have two assistants that were glorified video editors a year ago. Cant promote our game plan or playing identity since we dont have one - some days its defense, some days its let Fatts run around, sometimes its a strange weave!

So to the previous post's point if we made the tournament this season it changes everything. But we didn't so ... time will really tell but its starting to have a bit of a stink.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Because if we lose 2 more players, we then have 5 open scholarships. That's why.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe we should pump the brakes on bashing Mekhi and assuming that we know how he feels about his playing time until a decision is actually made? Seems like we are making quite the leap in assuming he is upset with his playing time just because a PC fan came on here and said he heard something. Let's wait and see if he transfers first. It may end up being true, but a wait and see approach might be best here.
5 x