2020-21 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

2020-21 Season

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Ticket office has begun to push for season ticket renewals with an April 15th deadline(thought it has been later than this date in the past). With no big OOC games scheduled right now, it's a tough sell. I don't see many new STH when sales open up for them either.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2020-21 Season

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The fact they sent out the ticket renewal email 13 hours after getting blown out by 27 is laugh out loud funny.

Absolutely oblivious.
5 x
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Ticket office has begun to push for season ticket renewals with an April 15th deadline(thought it has been later than this date in the past). With no big OOC games scheduled right now, it's a tough sell. I don't see many new STH when sales open up for them either.
Wow. Why not try to get everyone a couple weeks back when things were going well. We look like a middle of the pack team with a bad schedule and tons of tickets will be available for every game. No rush for me on renewing or probably most people with season tickets. Are they offering a free mug or gift card-lol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Ticket office has begun to push for season ticket renewals with an April 15th deadline(thought it has been later than this date in the past). With no big OOC games scheduled right now, it's a tough sell. I don't see many new STH when sales open up for them either.
Wow. Why not try to get everyone a couple weeks back when things were going well. We look like a middle of the pack team with a bad schedule and tons of tickets will be available for every game. No rush for me on renewing or probably most people with season tickets. Are they offering a free mug or gift card-lol

They’ll probably offer another free jersey that looked like it was put together by 7 year olds.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I once had full season tickets but have bought the five game mini plans for the last several years and purchased extra tickets on a game by game basis. The performance of the team and the opponent were big factors in my decision for buying additional game tickets. With this logic, I took in 12 home games this year.

I have future concerns as I do not see how this team is going to replace Jeff and Cyril next year. Fatts cannot do things by himself and every opponent will plan their defense around him. I am not particularly impressed by the rest of the returning lineup and our two committed recruits don't seem spectacular on paper. I therefore think we will see a downward trend in performance next season. Our upcoming schedule also doesn't excite me and I don't think it will be difficult to purchase individual tickets for any games. There is no Providence home game and no real attractive OOC games such as an Alabama (only Brown and Boise State are known thus far). Furthermore, there will be few if any NCAA teams in the A-10 home schedule. It is my thinking as of now that I probably will not renew after many years. I will likely just buy a few individual game tickets and see how things go. I am not an alum and live nearly an hour away so it is not a short drive and I have increasingly had more trouble finding others to accompany me to the games.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......I see us middle to lower group of next years A-10......way, way to many unknowns.......keeping my seats.....
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

A buddy and I have 8 season tix together and saw the renewal ad last night on the LED wraparound. We thought it was hysterical they would show that when we are getting manhandled by Dayton. Then we get the email today. Piss poor timing. I am holding off to see what talent Cox can bring in for next year. Right now, not impressed with what we have on paper. I live an hour away and usually take my kids with me but it will be hard to justify keeping them up late for a below average product. Will likely cut my 4 tix to 2 and purchase additional tix as needed. Will throw what I save into my kids college funds.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago The fact they sent out the ticket renewal email 13 hours after getting blown out by 27 is laugh out loud funny.

Absolutely oblivious.
The lack of candor and awareness by everything around our program is wild sometimes.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Did they at least give us a listing of expected improvements next year? Or is it the same beat facilities with a lesser product on the floor?
3 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Very doubtful with the way things are handled over there- but unless the marketing/ticketing dept does something novel, I think they will be seeing a reduced amt of renewals- esp for before the April 15 date. I know I'll forfeit my seats to wait and see what develops and jump back in during the summer /early fall if things change. Just too many different ways to get into the building for each game(single game tickets deals) without feeling obligated to go see LIU/Manhattan/etc...at a season ticket price
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago Very doubtful with the way things are handled over there- but unless the marketing/ticketing dept does something novel, I think they will be seeing a reduced amt of renewals- esp for before the April 15 date. I know I'll forfeit my seats to wait and see what develops and jump back in during the summer /early fall if things change. Just too many different ways to get into the building for each game(single game tickets deals) without feeling obligated to go see LIU/Manhattan/etc...at a season ticket price
On top of that - no PC game. Right now the marquee OOC home draw is...wait for it...BOISE STATE. Perennial borderline top 100 Boise State. The Baron special. A gem of a game.

The home OOC looks like hot dog water. Plus PC is local and we're at Harvard. Mohegan is always a good time even if we're back to turtling and getting dominated in big games. No need to commit to anything now.

I'll continue to renew my tickets because I think I've gone insane and now I enjoy cackling to myself about how awful we are. Much like I did the last 2 Baron years.

I'll always support this team and school by donating and buying tickets. There's something broken inside of me that won't let me quit them.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

I’m renewing mine. I live 2 hours away. Made it to 6 home games, but was able to donate, and give my tickets away to every other game this year. In fact, I think my account had perfect attendance this year.

If buying season tickets is a way I get to continue to support the program, whether they’re good or not, then I’m in.

You know what really irritates the shit out of me about URI Alumni (and I’m not talking about anyone in Keaney Blue, because I know how passionate this group is). Most Alumni have a favorite college team that isn’t URI. You’ll find them wearing Duke shirts, or a UNC hat, or a Texas hoodie. My two college roommates back in 2006, one was a Duke fan, and one was a UNC fan. How the hell does that make sense? You go to URI, but you root for a different team. Shit, did you pick your favorite team because of their jersey color?

Sorry, but that irritates the shit out of me. How do we make our Alumni/ Students buy into the program a bit more? Again, the problem is not with people on this forum, it’s our alumni base which chooses a different team to root for year after year.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Anybody who roots for Duke should be shot.
2 x
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Anybody who roots for Duke should be shot.
100% agree
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URIROTC2006 wrote: 4 years ago
Sorry, but that irritates the shit out of me. How do we make our Alumni/ Students buy into the program a bit more? Again, the problem is not with people on this forum, it’s our alumni base which chooses a different team to root for year after year.
By not getting embarrassed on national TV any time we have a big game, or being historically disappointing any time it feels like we could be on the verge of greatness.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

We are in Section 104 down low (4 seats) and will be renewing. I cannot even begin to understand the logic of having a conversation with one’s self as to whether they will only support the team if certain circumstances occur. I’ve been a Cleveland Browns fan my entire life and we had season tickets for many years in the 70s, 80s and 90s - for better or worse we supported the team. I have no connection to the University but decided to be a supporter - season ticket holder and meaningful contributor - to the program after meeting Hurley about 8 years ago. We’ve been to all but one A-10 Tourney - no one from Cleveland goes to Pittsburg if they can help it - and just started traveling to away games. The team, the players, the coaches and the program have been welcoming for my wife and I and we have enjoyed every minute of it, despite no connection to the school. We love what Cox and his staff do for these young men and the development from year to year as players and young men is visible to anyone who wants to see it!

We are renewing today and will continue to until we can’t. I wish everyone felt as we do, because that’s what it takes to build a great program. I hope everyone buys in and supports Rhody!

See you in Amherst Saturday!
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URIROTC2006 wrote: 4 years ago I’m renewing mine. I live 2 hours away. Made it to 6 home games, but was able to donate, and give my tickets away to every other game this year. In fact, I think my account had perfect attendance this year.

If buying season tickets is a way I get to continue to support the program, whether they’re good or not, then I’m in.

You know what really irritates the shit out of me about URI Alumni (and I’m not talking about anyone in Keaney Blue, because I know how passionate this group is). Most Alumni have a favorite college team that isn’t URI. You’ll find them wearing Duke shirts, or a UNC hat, or a Texas hoodie. My two college roommates back in 2006, one was a Duke fan, and one was a UNC fan. How the hell does that make sense? You go to URI, but you root for a different team. Shit, did you pick your favorite team because of their jersey color?

Win last night's game...and ALL those folks are Rhody fans today.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Or stranded on a desert island with a few of the Fryah Faih-weathah Faithful
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......so, so, so......will it be a re-build or a re-load.......?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

URIROTC2006 wrote: 4 years ago I’m renewing mine. I live 2 hours away. Made it to 6 home games, but was able to donate, and give my tickets away to every other game this year. In fact, I think my account had perfect attendance this year.

They are the WORST type of sports fans.

They are casual dog shit fans who should be ridiculed.

I hate them. They almost always know nothing, but try to talk sports.

Boils my blood.

I live in Virginia and met a guy recently who likes UVA basketball and likes Alabama football.

"Yuck UVA football doesnt win national titles, gotta like the best team possible"

They are fans of watching the sport and have no concept of loyalty to anything that involves sports.
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago We are in Section 104 down low (4 seats) and will be renewing. I cannot even begin to understand the logic of having a conversation with one’s self as to whether they will only support the team if certain circumstances occur. I’ve been a Cleveland Browns fan my entire life and we had season tickets for many years in the 70s, 80s and 90s - for better or worse we supported the team. I have no connection to the University but decided to be a supporter - season ticket holder and meaningful contributor - to the program after meeting Hurley about 8 years ago. We’ve been to all but one A-10 Tourney - no one from Cleveland goes to Pittsburg if they can help it - and just started traveling to away games. The team, the players, the coaches and the program have been welcoming for my wife and I and we have enjoyed every minute of it, despite no connection to the school. We love what Cox and his staff do for these young men and the development from year to year as players and young men is visible to anyone who wants to see it!

We are renewing today and will continue to until we can’t. I wish everyone felt as we do, because that’s what it takes to build a great program. I hope everyone buys in and supports Rhody!

Complacency usually does not lead to positive change. Everyone’s situation is different as is their willingness/ability to support a team. This teams fan base is begging for change and the decision makers seem to ignore their calls- both for the basketball program and the game day experiences. An administration that has a season ticket base that will blindly write the check each year is not likely to reach out and “do more”.
I have been a Red Sox season ticket holder for 20 years. Until the late 2000’s the season ticket holders were taken for granted- there was a waiting list and very few “perks” offered besides access to buy extra tickets. They won a couple World Series/had a few bad seasons and suddenly the product was not as in demand as it once was. Season ticket holders stopped renewing- suddenly I received an account executive-and gradually more and more perks/ experiences/access were available. They basically started treating the season ticket holders as an important part of their fan base and made their renewals a priority.
OBVIOUSLY the Red Sox and Rhody hoops are on totally different levels but the people that are willing to buy tickets up front for every game(year after year )need to be prioritized- their $ should not be taken for granted.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......so, so, so......will it be a re-build or a re-load.......?
............I'm guessing a hot seat?...............
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Don't expect Cox to be let go anytime soon.

He's got 3 years left on his deal.

The admin I'm sure will cut him some slack for the injuries and short bench this season, while saying they are disappointed we didn't make the dance.

After next year though, if things don't improve or get worse, then people will be calling for his job.

And of course, I will be one of them.

There is always risk in a new hire, especially one who hasn't been a HC at this level. There's a lot that goes into the job....Cox may know the game, but he looks to be lacking in some critical areas....player development being one of them.

He needs one more year, to either prove he belongs, or prove he doesn't.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago We are in Section 104 down low (4 seats) and will be renewing. I cannot even begin to understand the logic of having a conversation with one’s self as to whether they will only support the team if certain circumstances occur. I’ve been a Cleveland Browns fan my entire life and we had season tickets for many years in the 70s, 80s and 90s - for better or worse we supported the team. I have no connection to the University but decided to be a supporter - season ticket holder and meaningful contributor - to the program after meeting Hurley about 8 years ago. We’ve been to all but one A-10 Tourney - no one from Cleveland goes to Pittsburg if they can help it - and just started traveling to away games. The team, the players, the coaches and the program have been welcoming for my wife and I and we have enjoyed every minute of it, despite no connection to the school. We love what Cox and his staff do for these young men and the development from year to year as players and young men is visible to anyone who wants to see it!

Complacency usually does not lead to positive change. Everyone’s situation is different as is their willingness/ability to support a team. This teams fan base is begging for change and the decision makers seem to ignore their calls- both for the basketball program and the game day experiences. An administration that has a season ticket base that will blindly write the check each year is not likely to reach out and “do more”.
I have been a Red Sox season ticket holder for 20 years. Until the late 2000’s the season ticket holders were taken for granted- there was a waiting list and very few “perks” offered besides access to buy extra tickets. They won a couple World Series/had a few bad seasons and suddenly the product was not as in demand as it once was. Season ticket holders stopped renewing- suddenly I received an account executive-and gradually more and more perks/ experiences/access were available. They basically started treating the season ticket holders as an important part of their fan base and made their renewals a priority.
OBVIOUSLY the Red Sox and Rhody hoops are on totally different levels but the people that are willing to buy tickets up front for every game(year after year )need to be prioritized- their $ should not be taken for granted.
I let them know that I will not be renewing my tickets for next year. Tyler called me up, as he has always been very helpful, and asked if I just wasn’t feeling it and asked why I wasn’t renewing. I told him a combination of this years collapse, the team that we have for next year, the schedule for next year, lack of recruits, poor offensive sets and defense and just the complacency and lack of improvements such as WiFi, scoreboard and practice facility to name a few. I can get tickets again time pretty easily. He said they would note what I told him and will contact with mini plans.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago

I let them know that I will not be renewing my tickets for next year. Tyler called me up, as he has always been very helpful, and asked if I just wasn’t feeling it and asked why I wasn’t renewing. I told him a combination of this years collapse, the team that we have for next year, the schedule for next year, lack of recruits, poor offensive sets and defense and just the complacency and lack of improvements such as WiFi, scoreboard and practice facility to name a few. I can get tickets again time pretty easily. He said they would note what I told him and will contact with mini plans.
Making calls the day after that- wow- clueless
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago They’ll probably offer another free jersey that looked like it was put together by 7 year olds.
It was... in China.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Don't expect Cox to be let go anytime soon.

He's got 3 years left on his deal.

The admin I'm sure will cut him some slack for the injuries and short bench this season, while saying they are disappointed we didn't make the dance.

After next year though, if things don't improve or get worse, then people will be calling for his job.

And of course, I will be one of them.

There is always risk in a new hire, especially one who hasn't been a HC at this level. There's a lot that goes into the job....Cox may know the game, but he looks to be lacking in some critical areas....player development being one of them.

He needs one more year, to either prove he belongs, or prove he doesn't.
Barring an epiphany like the 10 game win streak we had, I think next year will be the apex. Roll out a team that fails to perform and it's nightie night. Make the NCAAT and Cox will prove himself.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

As it stands now I don’t see how we’re remotely close to a tournament team. Going to need some new players to commit very soon and the whole team take huge jumps in ability.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Cox will be here for a total of five years, regardless of what happens. Unless he makes the NCAAT before then, in that case he'll be gone.

He still might this year. Until that A-10 Tourney is over, nothing is carved in stone.

His recruits will ultimately determine how much success his teams have, if he doesn't.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox will be here for a total of five years, regardless of what happens. Unless he makes the NCAAT before then, in that case he'll be gone.

He still might this year. Until that A-10 Tourney is over, nothing is carved in stone.

His recruits will ultimately determine how much success his teams have, if he doesn't.
I agree. Whether people end up happy with Cox and whether he succeeds or not this program will not pay a buyout or give him 1-2 years salary and also pay another coach. No chance. They have shown themselves to be cheap in every phase except going after Hurley. It would have to go real south. Even .500 next year and he is back for year 4 100%.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Cox will be here for a total of five years, regardless of what happens. Unless he makes the NCAAT before then, in that case he'll be gone.

Totally disagree. If we don't dance this year and next is a disaster, we better look for coaches available and make the cut based on that. If a high level coach is available and willing to move here cut the cord and make the hire. else wait.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....well, so here we are, albeit a bit sooner than expected......I am thinking what roster moves there will be, transfer in/out, all speculative at this point, needs assessments for next season, schedule, on and on......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Who the hell is going to play center? We sure don’t have one coming back.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Covid- 19 is going to hurt our already lagging recruiting for next year. All travel is being scaled back by colleges and in person recruiting in the near term is expected to be dramatically cut. With just two commits and a higher number of open slots to fill, URI is not well positioned.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The Covid- 19 is going to hurt our already lagging recruiting for next year. All travel is being scaled back by colleges and in person recruiting in the near term is expected to be dramatically cut. With just two commits and a higher number of open slots to fill, URI is not well positioned.
Well I don't think that anybody is really going to get ahead of us in these coronavirus times.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......way, way early yet, but hey why not......given where we are......the Hilton app picked these starters(subject to change)......Fatts, Shepard, Toppin, Walker and_________?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Martin

But I wouldn’t rule Leggett from starting
1 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago The Covid- 19 is going to hurt our already lagging recruiting for next year. All travel is being scaled back by colleges and in person recruiting in the near term is expected to be dramatically cut. With just two commits and a higher number of open slots to fill, URI is not well positioned.
Reinforcements are coming. You’ll see soon.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago
Well I don't think that anybody is really going to get ahead of us in these coronavirus times.

It however won't matter as much to schools that have few slots left to fill.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Not to be flippant, but - Who the eff knows how this will effect college basketball and recruiting? Like, I think it's easy to argue the opposite of what you posted - We could be *better* position with anyone who's already visited, or local recruits, because they can't take more visits easily.
3 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Tjrams91 wrote: 4 years ago
This is good to hear. Any ETA?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Are you the Mitchell twins?
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......way, way early yet, but hey why not......given where we are......the Hilton app picked these starters(subject to change)......Fatts, Shepard, Toppin, Walker and_________?
If we get the twins I think Makhi starts and Martin slides to the SG.
Fatts
Martin
Toppin
Harris
Mitchell
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm REALLY disappointed with the OOC schedule. This season's was impressive and ambitious. Our conference doesn't provide enough Q1 opportunities, so why did our program think taking a step backwards was a smart move?
0 x
Tjrams91
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Tjrams91 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I'm REALLY disappointed with the OOC schedule. This season's was impressive and ambitious. Our conference doesn't provide enough Q1 opportunities, so why did our program think taking a step backwards was a smart move?
I think scaling back the schedule next year was calculated and smart. We will be really young.

Mitchell twins or Odusipe I believe will be inbound as will Berry.

I’m confident.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago I'm REALLY disappointed with the OOC schedule. This season's was impressive and ambitious. Our conference doesn't provide enough Q1 opportunities, so why did our program think taking a step backwards was a smart move?
I think scaling back the schedule next year was calculated and smart. We will be really young.

I’m confident.
Looks like I'll be spending more time in the Recruitment Center. :D
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I’m confident.
I feel like we are definitely going to be older next year.

Not understanding this take.

Fatts Senior
Sheppard RS Senior

Walker junior
DJ RS Junior
Tyrese Junior
Jermaine Junior

Toppin Sophnore
Long Sophmore

If we get the twins they will be sophomores.

Then the 3 or so freshman.

Should be good enough to compete for a tournament bid.
2 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

I don’t think we’ll be very young next year unless the remaining 3 schollies all go to FR.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......looks like we could have”October Depth”.......again.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938