3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Re: 3/4 | Dayton | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Section104 »

Beat UMass, get the double bye, and hope for a miracle.

We’re rundown and playing bad basketball.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

What a rough game. I have nothing. When it was 55-42 I thought perhaps there was some hope. A couple of stops and scores and it's in mid single digits and we have a game. Next thing you know, Dayton has a 21-10 run and it's 76-52 and game over.

Did like that the CBSSN showed Cyril and Jeff being hugged by teammates in the end.

Beat UMass to insure 3rd place. Lose and in danger of falling out of the double bye.

JH's play was the one bright spot.

Why they didn't drive to the hoop more and try to get Obi his 4th I have no idea. But hats off to Dayton. They are good. And I hope they go at least to the Final Four - if we're going to play 80 mins of basketball against them, not even leading for a second and getting blown out twice, then I hope it was against a final four team.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Dayton is incredible but man this team folded this season. Thank you Cyril and Jeff for an incredible college career.See what we can do in Brooklyn.
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Bummer, the kids tried, just don't have the talent and coaching to match up with Dayton. Any team to beat Dayton will need to shoot lights out and we are not that team. Even without Obi I think the Flyers would only have 2 conference losses to this point. Crutcher is their Marcus Smart, man I can't stand the guy but would love him on my team.
You mean Landers is their Marcus Smart?

If we played them at the beginning of february we could have easily won this game.

Back when Fatts was an all american and we were beating teams by double digits.

We would have been able to take advantage of their foul trouble and could have won this game.

That is how far we have fallen.

Fatts is a bad player and the team is a mess.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Can we get the UMass thread up?
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

This was too funny to get mad.

Absolutely pathetic and shameful.

Cyrils missed dunk after the Toppin windmill is the hardest I’ve laughed in the Ryan Center since I saw Will Ferrell and Zack Galifinakis there.

Nothing to get mad at - even though this is a worse collapse than Baron. We didn’t need to beat Dayton. We needed to beat Brown or Richmond or Davidson or St Louis. We suck and I think this is where we stay.

Tom Ryan screwed us not extending Hurley in 2017.

This is what we deserve.

Lol NIT here we come.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Jeff and Cyril are two phenomenal athletes. I cannot wait to see what their next chapter will be.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Anyone just not excited to possibly be in the NIT? I am having a hard time getting excited for Brooklyn alone. We are gonna need better shooters next year. And I mean CONSISTENT shooters.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone just not excited to possibly be in the NIT? I am having a hard time getting excited for Brooklyn alone. We are gonna need better shooters next year. And I mean CONSISTENT shooters.
Oh I’m being sarcastic as shit.

This team was not an NIT team and doesn’t the support as such.

The NIT is meant for young teams that are growing to do big things - like Hurleys early teams here. That’s exciting.

The NIT is not meant for senior classes who got to watch and start in multiple NCAA games and on multiple conference championship teams.

This team returned the entire starting lineup from last year. There is no excuse. Coaching is bad. Leadership is bad. This is legitimately the most disappointing team in my lifetime - and boy have I seen some big ones -none of Baron’s teams were in the “should be in” category in early February and played their way out before the end of the year.

This is an absolute joke and travesty. The only bright spot is that after we lose on Friday in Brooklyn we can go see an XFL game in NJ on Saturday.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

I try to keep things positive here. But, I can't believe I'm headed to Brooklyn with this team with no way out. I'll be the guy heavily drinking in Brooklyn with rhody gear on if anyone wants to join.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

This is a Baronesque collapse for sure. Wish nothing but the best for the seniors. See you next year. No NIT for me.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone just not excited to possibly be in the NIT? I am having a hard time getting excited for Brooklyn alone. We are gonna need better shooters next year. And I mean CONSISTENT shooters.

The NIT is meant for young teams that are growing to do big things - like Hurleys early teams here. That’s exciting.

The NIT is not meant for senior classes who got to watch and start in multiple NCAA games and on multiple conference championship teams.

This team returned the entire starting lineup from last year. There is no excuse. Coaching is bad. Leadership is bad. This is legitimately the most disappointing team in my lifetime - and boy have I seen some big ones -none of Baron’s teams were in the “should be in” category in early February and played their way out before the end of the year.

This is an absolute joke and travesty. The only bright spot is that after we lose on Friday in Brooklyn we can go see an XFL game in NJ on Saturday.

Should be in late february***
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

They should pass on the NIT. They have injured players and that don’t need to play in a tournament that no one cares about. There would be 2800 people in the stands. Who cares if they try some creative sales technique and try to bring Hurley and Uconn here. Two very average teams playing bad basketball. Hate to see Jeff and Cyril go as they were truly great 4 year players which is rare in college these days. Other than that I’m ready for this to end in 2 games and don’t think the future looks very bright at all. I’m not sure when this team gets back to the tourney again.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......have to say it, beginning to wonder about.......the coaching......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

For the first time in my life I did not listen to the post game show. Listened to a podcast of Crimetown instead.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......have to say it, beginning to wonder about.......the coaching......
If we dont pull off a miracle turn around this year.

You HAVE to make it next year.

If not Cox should be toast.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......have to say it, beginning to wonder about.......the coaching......
We have coaching?
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

I would hold off on blaming the coaches. You guys are farther along in year 2 under Cox than we were in year 2 under Grant. You guys are a bubble team right now, iinm, we were never a serious bubble team last year. So you guys are ahead of us as far as the time schedule is concerned.

We were a NIT 5 seed last year, you guys will get better than a NIT 5 seed if you end up on the wrong side of the bubble.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

That game was tough, its too bad because if they had played better the Ryan Center could have really given the team the edge with the crowd. Instead so many left early which had to suck for the players but they were just dominated. Dayton is so damn good offensively, the best college team that I have seen live in quite a few years. Nice effort from Jermaine, hopefully the game is starting to slow down for him.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
I would hold off on blaming the coaches. You guys are farther along in year 2 under Cox than we were in year 2 under Grant. You guys are a bubble team right now, iinm, we were never a serious bubble team last year. So you guys are ahead of us as far as the time schedule is concerned.
You are really really an outstanding poster here for a fan of another team. Dayton was exquisite tonight, especially Obi.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago That game was tough, its too bad because if they had played better the Ryan Center could have really given the team the edge with the crowd. Instead so many left early which had to suck for the players but they were just dominated. Dayton is so damn good offensively, the best college team that I have seen live in quite a few years. Nice effort from Jermaine, hopefully the game is starting to slow down for him.
I overheard some nasty comments about Jermaine this evening from people behind me, but I thought this was one of his best played games of the entire season. I wish he wouldn’t take some of the threes he tries to.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

I would hold off on blaming the coaches. You guys are farther along in year 2 under Cox than we were in year 2 under Grant. You guys are a bubble team right now, iinm, we were never a serious bubble team last year.
Dayton has far superior athletes, but they also play the game much smarter and better than URI. You have much better coaching that works the ball for better and easy shots. They also don’t have players that just chuck up threes and are content to get high percentage two points shots. Good luck in the tourney! Your team has a great shot to make the final four. You destroyed us when Toppin went to the bench. Tons of talent in Dayton this year.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I have to say...despite how sucky it was for the majority of the time...I got there around 745ish and until about 930 or so, it was one of the best game atmospheres I've experienced at the Ry... oh well...

And yes, I left early. With 5:00 to play, down 25...I am just not hanging out.
That is the earliest I can ever remember leaving a game...Sorry, not at all ... in any freekn way ... sorry.
Only way I would've stayed longer is if a roommate or relative was playing.

Is DC still in the BC discussion?

ETA: Thought Jermaine was ok tonight, looked like some disorientation under the hoop at times, otherwise...progress.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Ummmm we returned our entire starting lineup from a non-rebuild coaching change with a fully stocked cupboard of A10 first team talent that never materialized.

We took our best PG off the ball. Gave carte blanche to our “best player” who is the most inconsistent player in potentially all of basketball - and if he sucks we lose.

Our senior big man doesn’t understand that you shouldn’t dribble the ball on the low post.

No one on our team knows how to finish at the rim - as we shoot below 50% on layups and dunks.

We can’t run a fast break.

Our sophomore big who was our 2nd biggest recruit in 20 years looks like a D2 player.

I am not sure where you place the blame - but the top is a good start.

Congrats on your win and fully functioning basketball program.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I had low expectations going in and that certainly was met. A truly ugly performance by Rhody. Dayton is just at a completely higher level which URI cannot compete with.

This team has not been the same since the first Dayton game where they started off down 19-0. Have played poorly for six games straight now. A total team collapse to end the season. I do not even expect a win at UMass this Saturday. Can't win games when you play like crap. Players have apparently forgotten how to play defense and the shooting has been absolutely atrocious. Can't even shoot .50% from the charity stripe and shooting below 30% in games? A once promising season has quickly turned to shit.

Will probably still get an NIT home game as the NET rank will likely be enough to be among the top 16 seeds which get a first round home game. I myself have no appetite for the NIT and unless things somehow greatly change, I am inclined to skip any additional Ryan Center games and think many will do the same. I went to 12 games and that will probably be enough for me.

This season was the chance for URI to make a run. I fear that we are looking at a down cycle with the returning players and incoming recruits. I don't see any replacements in immediate sight for Jeff and Cyril. We will have Fatts and every opposing team will key their D around him. I think things will get worse before getting any better. Not so promising short term prospects ahead.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
You are really really an outstanding poster here for a fan of another team. Dayton was exquisite tonight, especially Obi.
You guys are a bubble team, you are still very much in contention.

You guys are a NIT 1 or 2 seed on the below sites, we were a NIT 5 seed last year, so you are ahead of the schedule we were on last year.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/3/ ... utah-state

https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Absolutely disgusted. Defense sucked again. Fatts sucked again. Shared the ball well for the first few minutes, then got away from that as quickly as we could. Missed foul shot after foul shot, jumper after jumper. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn all night no matter what type of shot we were taking.

And I love how the team just casually strolls out with just over 2 minutes left before the second half was set to start. No sense of urgency whatsoever, no focus. Dayton was out there right at the 5 minute mark running their drills, all business. We come out like it's a hot summer afternoon and we're trying not to break a sweat in the pickup game we decided to play in. That's great if Cox wanted to ream them out at the half, but then send them the F back onto to the court to get some extra shots up before the second half starts, lord knows we needed it!

And then the fact that we couldn't take advantage of like 5 or 6 empty possessions in a row that Dayton had to cut into that lead at all, beyond frustrating. Dowtin buries a 3 and Cox calls a quick timeout. Why??! Was he concerned that we may've been able to start shifting the momentum a bit? Granted there was an official TO like a minute later, but I don't get the TO at all. To set up a different D I guess. Lot of good that did.

Salty f-n grapes over here. This will 100% go down as one of the most disappointmenting finishes to a season ever.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

They should pass on the NIT. They have injured players and that don’t need to play in a tournament that no one cares about. There would be 2800 people in the stands. Who cares if they try some creative sales technique and try to bring Hurley and Uconn here. Two very average teams playing bad basketball. Hate to see Jeff and Cyril go as they were truly great 4 year players which is rare in college these days. Other than that I’m ready for this to end in 2 games and don’t think the future looks very bright at all. I’m not sure when this team gets back to the tourney again.

Hate this take, but kind of agree. Martin could be a stud if the right pieces are around him. We still have zero shooters on this team. The defense regressed as the season progressed that has to lie on the coaching staff.

And we have 3, THREE, open scholies still heading into next year.

There is far to much talent and expierence on this team to have the late season fall of the cliff that we had!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

You guys are a bubble team, you are still very much in contention.

You guys are a NIT 1 or 2 seed on the below site, we were a NIT 5 seed last year, so you are ahead of the schedule we were on last year.

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/3/ ... utah-state

https://thebarkingcrow.com/nit-bracketology/
Yeah, but you guys didnt go from

10 game A-10 win streak (this year was a better A-10 than last year by a lot) where we pretty much dominated everybody, or at least won by double digits in just about every game.

Top 30 player/all american Fatts

Best defense in the league

To playing like Fordham and destroying an NCAA season.

Does not bode well for the future at all.

Last years Dayton team is much better than our current Rhody Ram team right now. Easily.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago That game was tough, its too bad because if they had played better the Ryan Center could have really given the team the edge with the crowd. Instead so many left early which had to suck for the players but they were just dominated. Dayton is so damn good offensively, the best college team that I have seen live in quite a few years. Nice effort from Jermaine, hopefully the game is starting to slow down for him.
I overheard some nasty comments about Jermaine this evening from people behind me, but I thought this was one of his best played games of the entire season. I wish he wouldn’t take some of the threes he tries to.
i do not particularly worry about the threes and think he might eventually hit them at a decent rate. When you have players handling the ball in areas that they are not a threat to score from it is much easier to defend. I sometimes wish that Cyril would look at the basket a little more often when handling the ball on the perimeter to keep the defense honest. The long pass Jermaine attempted to Fatts on the break probably had a higher degree of difficulty than an open three.

One thing that I really appreciated about Al Skinner as head coach at URI is that he gave his players freedom to try things on offense as long as they played hard on the defensive end. I think its a good policy not to stifle your players creativity and overly limit their options on the offensive end. Obviously there are some limits.
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Have 4 season tix but seriously thinking of cutting down to 2. What a waste of time and money! Took my kids and stayed for the whole game. Big mistake.

Can’t wait to see who Cox brings in with the remaining 3 schollies. Need a consistently good shooter, a tall center and with the 3rd, either another shooter or another big. I’m tired of watching a bunch of athletes play basketball and would love to watch some basketball players play the game. Can someone please get the message of what we need to Coach Cox. I honestly don’t think he sees it as a necessity.

We are not a quick team other than Jeff and Fatts. We rarely drive by guys on offense and get beat on drives at the other end all the time which makes the defense collapse to help and shooters open. We are not a smart team, other than Jeff. Basketball IQ is not a prerequisite to play at URI. We are a selfish bunch of guys. We don’t look to pass and would rather throw up a contested prayer than find a teammate in better position.

What a horrific end to such a hopeful and promising season...
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

spar wrote: 4 years ago Absolutely disgusted. Defense sucked again. Fatts sucked again. Shared the ball well for the first few minutes, then got away from that as quickly as we could. Missed foul shot after foul shot, jumper after jumper. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn all night no matter what type of shot we were taking.

And I love how the team just casually strolls out with just over 2 minutes left before the second half was set to start. No sense of urgency whatsoever, no focus. Dayton was out there right at the 5 minute mark running their drills, all business. We come out like it's a hot summer afternoon and we're trying not to break a sweat in the pickup game we decided to play in. That's great if Cox wanted to ream them out at the half, but then send them the F back onto to the court to get some extra shots up before the second half starts, lord knows we needed it!

And then the fact that we couldn't take advantage of like 5 or 6 empty possessions in a row that Dayton had to cut into that lead at all, beyond frustrating. Dowtin buries a 3 and Cox calls a quick timeout. Why??! Was he concerned that we may've been able to start shifting the momentum a bit? Granted there was an official TO like a minute later, but I don't get the TO at all. To set up a different D I guess. Lot of good that did.

Salty f-n grapes over here. This will 100% go down as one of the most disappointmenting finishes to a season ever.
Absolutely agree about the warm-ups at the end of halftime. They came out so late and lackadaisical that they might as well not have taken a single practice shot at all. Dayton had players practicing free throws, among other things, for five full minutes. Same thing with before the game — Dayton seemed to be out there at least twice as long warning up (though I was a little more forgiving of the pregame because it was senior night and there were other things going on).

But everything about this Dayton team shows a tremendous amount of preparation, organization and discipline. The managers who run out to set up the chairs for the timeout huddles reminded me of a Nascar pit crew. Their warmups seem to have an actual purpose. And even the way they line up for the national anthem exudes organization. You just don't see that level of polish from Rhody, and I think it's really reflected in the way the team comes out to play from the opening tip.

I also hate hate hate the timeout after a made basket, but Cox is far from the only NCAA coach to use that move and so I try to cut him some slack with it. I understand the reasoning even if I disagree with it. Overall, I think he's a nice guy and I really want him to succeed, for both his own sake and this program's, but every time I start to think he might be finding his footing he takes two giant steps back.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I don't fault anyone who left that game early. 9:00 on a work/school night is a tough one to stick out. But down 25 with 8 minutes to go, I was really hoping Cox would put Dadika and Green in before the exodus really picked up. It cheated them out of a bigger ovation. The game was decided long before they took the court.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that was a complete beat down by 2 teams going in opposite directions

I guess we pretty much played over our heads during that 10 game win streak and look every bit as bad during these last 5 games

Next year doesn’t look to promising if I had to make my prediction for the contest would say 15-15 right now
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

It's been the same all year. We fall into an early hole, say, six points. Then, guaranteed, someone chucks a low-percentage three-point attempt early in the shot clock. The other team - Dayton, Brown, or anyone in between - effortlessly drives and scores on the next possession. What do we do then? Another low-percentage three. Now we're down 10 and collapsing.

This collapse sucks. We won't win a game in Brooklyn.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, at least we're consistent.

Consistently BAD in all areas.

Offense, defense, coaching......take a bow.

Not worth posting here for a while after that mess.

Just hard to fathom being bad for like 6 games in a row.

Something is rotten in Denmark with this team.

Zero team play on offense, zero focus on defense, even FT's.

If we lose to UMass and then in the 1st round in Brooklyn, I doubt we're even an NIT team.

Doesn't even matter though.

To me, now the focus turns to Cox and staff...not just recruiting either.

If we flop there and have a bad year next year.....he's on the hot seat and should be.

Can't wait for Fatts hero ball all next season......not.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

He played really well last night - he used taking the three to fake out a Dayton player later in the game and drove to the hoop. I still don’t mind him taking an occasional three but situationally it has been bad lately.

I LOVE Jeff, but he need to take it to the rack and draw some fouls. I also LOVE Fatts, but he is not his super awesome version of himself if he doesn’t get calls driving to the hoop. We had their guys in foul trouble in the first half and needed to continue to drive at them and force the refs to call the foul but instead they kept fading back to the three point line.
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago This was too funny to get mad.

Absolutely pathetic and shameful.

Cyrils missed dunk after the Toppin windmill is the hardest I’ve laughed in the Ryan Center since I saw Will Ferrell and Zack Galifinakis there.

Nothing to get mad at - even though this is a worse collapse than Baron. We didn’t need to beat Dayton. We needed to beat Brown or Richmond or Davidson or St Louis. We suck and I think this is where we stay.

Tom Ryan screwed us not extending Hurley in 2017.

This is what we deserve.

Lol NIT here we come.
Absolutely almost spit my drink out. Cyril trying to show off after Obi dunk and getting stuffed by the rim was hilarious. It was just the perfect sequence of where we are right now.

Also to your point - yeah... we didn’t need to win tonight. We needed to win 4 games ago! It’s a true collapse and there is no other way to describe it.

Can we just MAYBE consider that coaching might SOMETHING to do with it? I know talking poorly about Cox on this board is a cardinal sin but how can you not look at these last few games and question what he’s doing. Defense just shuts off like a faucet? There one day and suddenly gone? I don’t think that’s a talent issue - but more a coaching issue.

Cox loves to tell you after any loss it’s “on him for not having the guys prepared”... and lately he loves to tell you we won 20 games - “so we should be proud of these young men”. Well ... You don’t get banners for winning 20 games!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We used to have a coach that would say well we won 20 games......most of us know who that guy was...….

Whatever Cox is doing isn't working anymore.

The lack of adjustments and reverting to playing dumb basketball is very concerning.

Shooting 29% and 17-35 from the FT line is bad....and add poor defense to the list.

Being banged up and shorthanded roster wise just adds to the misery.

Add to this, the team ended last season playing well...this season just the opposite.

So what are the answers?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago It's been the same all year. We fall into an early hole, say, six points. Then, guaranteed, someone chucks a low-percentage three-point attempt early in the shot clock. The other team - Dayton, Brown, or anyone in between - effortlessly drives and scores on the next possession. What do we do then? Another low-percentage three. Now we're down 10 and collapsing.

This collapse sucks. We won't win a game in Brooklyn.
Instead of “someone” you can just say Harris. You can also point out that after he took that 3 at the top of the key and admired it, he didn’t bother to get back down the floor and gave up an easy layup.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago Three weeks ago, Dayton didn't just punch us in the mouth -- they kicked us in the nuts, and ever since then we've been walking around with our hands clasped in front of our junk and our voices two octaves higher. Time to man up.

I wouldn't complain if Cox starts Jacob instead of Fatts -- let him absorb the flow of the game for a couple of minutes. And, yes, PLEASE give Jeff the keys to the car.
.......WPB sun shine must gotten to ya.....not start a Fatts?......
Thoughts now Rhode_Island_Red?
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

Starting to feel like a Cleveland Browns fan. Please... one of you eternal optimists out there cheer me up and tell me it will all be better next year.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago Starting to feel like a Cleveland Browns fan. Please... one of you eternal optimists out there cheer me up and tell me it will all be better next year.
It’s much worse than that. I’ve never seen Cleveland play themselves out of a playoff spot after week 15. It would be impossible to compare how awful a collapse this is.

The browns at least have the decency to suck the whole time so their fans know not to get their hopes up.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago Starting to feel like a Cleveland Browns fan. Please... one of you eternal optimists out there cheer me up and tell me it will all be better next year.
It’s much worse than that. I’ve never seen Cleveland play themselves out of a playoff spot after week 15. It would be impossible to compare how awful a collapse this is.

The browns at least have the decency to suck the whole time so their fans know not to get their hopes up.
I still think the worst collapse was the Baron led team that started 16-1 and beat Syracuse. They lost game after game in conference play and still remained in the projected bracket or right outside. We lost almost every game down the stretch. This was pretty bad also as even the games we won like Fordham were awful
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

So what’s next? Are you calling for a head coach change? If so, what are your recommendations to get that process started? Stop attending games, writing emails, etc?

It appears that based on the feedback from this game we’re at the point of no return and should expect continued crumbling for years to come.

I know we missed on extending Hurley a few years ago, but what is an actionable plan to drive this forward now and avoid another Baron situation. I’m genuinely curious. I’m not saying this is what i necessarily believe but if the majority are claiming coaching is the root cause shouldn’t we develop a plan of action now to advance this?

Money talks, whether it’s not going to games or donating and based on the early line thread everyone should have lots of money to donate after taking out mortgages to bet on Dayton last night.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're not going to win another game this season, sad to say.

Last night, even though I didn't expect them to win, I at least thought they would play well enough to make a game of it.

The Senior Night excuses are just that. The staff and players knew what's at stake, and they didn't show up.

Blame all around. This is becoming another you-know-who 2.0.....shorthanded roster or not.

To me, next year is the make or break point for Cox. A flop recruiting wise concerning the 3 openings, and another flop on the court, and serious discussion on Cox's future here has to begin.

If we had made the dance this year, I would have expected an extension and raise for DC. Now, no way.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

To think just a week and a half ago, we were projected a high 9 seed in the NCAAT. Now we are looking for an auto bid. That is just mind numbing stuff right there.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

This is bad but I don't think it reaches 2007-2008 level. To be honest that team was more talented than this team and they were, what, 20-3? 20-4? Something like that. And they went from one of those records to the 11 seed in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Think about that for a second. They lost, what, 8 of their last 9 games or something like that?

As a college player, Will Daniels was better than anyone on URI right now. They never had a shooter like they had in Baron. Cothran, Ulmer, Bittee and Seawright were all solid players and better than almost everyone on the current team. If you were combining the two teams to make a 9-man rotation you'd have more players on the 2007-2008 team than today's team.

I realize that what's going on is fresh and I've seen some say this is worse than the collapses under Baron. It's not. At least when compared to the 2007-2008 team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's clear that we were never that good during our 10 game winning streak this year.

Fatts was on a hot streak for most of that.....now he's playing like he did for most of last season.

And who exactly have we beaten? PC when they were sucking, and look at VCU now.

Of course, I don't think we're quite as bad as we have played recently, but just about everything and anything has gone wrong, and Cox and staff have done NOTHING to help that.

I think discipline, or lack of it, has helped to worsen the situation also. The pregame shenanigans are telling. The coaches don't have a proper handle on the situation.

It's a mess....and when exactly will things be looking up?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago This is bad but I don't think it reaches 2007-2008 level. To be honest that team was more talented than this team and they were, what, 20-3? 20-4? Something like that. And they went from one of those records to the 11 seed in the Atlantic 10 Tournament. Think about that for a second. They lost, what, 8 of their last 9 games or something like that?

As a college player, Will Daniels was better than anyone on URI right now. They never had a shooter like they had in Baron. Cothran, Ulmer, Bittee and Seawright were all solid players and better than almost everyone on the current team. If you were combining the two teams to make a 9-man rotation you'd have more players on the 2007-2008 team than today's team.

I realize that what's going on is fresh and I've seen some say this is worse than the collapses under Baron. It's not. At least when compared to the 2007-2008 team.
Its a fair argument, and this may be recency bias via my incredibly shattered soul at the moment, but I disagree based on the fact that Barons team was never squarely in the field on March 1. We were never this close that year.

Barons team blew it in early February - but they played a SOFT schedule that year. They got to a 14-1 record with their best win against an NIT bound Syracuse team, and a sub .500 PC team. They also lost to a sub .500 BC team.

The other wins? FAU, Brown, USF, Stetson, UAB, Toledo, Northeastern, Hofstra, Eastern Mich, Georgia Southern, and Farleigh Dickinson.

We played no one. We beat a “name” but not a good team. That year we were Duquesne. I’m sure everyone looked at us and said the same things we all said about Duquesne this year.

Either way - pretty great that the state of our program is where we get to play the “which collapse was worse game” - so much fun.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Give to Rhody's NIL