Senior Night

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
neil
Art Stephenson

Senior Night

Unread post by neil »

As I approach year 71 on the planet,my consecutive string of senior nights reaches 52. I do not say this for any sort of bragging rights. I simply love my school and the athletic program. I love acknowledging our seniors, the majority of which matriculate in four years and gladly move on with their lives. They have provided hours of memories through dedication and hard work our four seniors certainly deserve the accolades they will receive on Wednesday.
Senior nights have not always been successful ones. Preston and ARD Had a long evening and so did the group 2 years ago. I have a hunch that we are in for something special on Wednesday.
Jordan Green and Eric Dadika saw 8 minutes of playing time. How many hours did they put in to help the team. Invaluable work for only 8 minutes of glory. Eric does get an award for most dunk attempts during warm ups. Make sure they are rewarded for their efforts by your applause. They are truly unsung heroes.
Cyril-
Warrior and leader of the Rams. In the tradition of Kaheim, Art Stephenson, and ARD, Cyril played hard and to win every game. No, he wasn’t the most polished player on the team but he made up for it with blocked shots, rebounding, and forty minutes of desire. Remember the Sooner game with key foul shots and layups in overtime. Co-captain a well deserved honor. The very best of luck, health and happiness in years to come.
Jeff-
Read 83’s post/thread about Jeff. That tells you more than what I can say. Hurley once said when Jeff was a freshman, he will play some where. An important member of Ram championship teams, he was a class act, leader both on and off the court, and a Renaissance individual. When we needed a basket, it always seemed that Jeff was a part of it. Question- how many times have you watched the “3 threes in 55 seconds”? Bet you can’t watch just one! Don’t let the applause stop for one of the greatest guards in ram history. Go Rhody
O
31 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: Senior nightAs I approach your 71 on the planet my consecutive strength see the senior night reach 52.. Which doesn’

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Congratulations Neil, that's awesome.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Senior Night

Unread post by section(105) »

....thx Neil......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

When was the last big time* Sr Night win?

*good, quality opponent + meaningful game
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

As always, an eloquent summation of two of the greatest players in our history.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Neil always comes through every year at this time with great reflection. It is typically the last time that we as fans can thank graduating athletes for their blood, sweat, and tears. Their dedication and loyalty should be celebrated and appreciated. Jeff and Cyril have always been warriors that played hard and represented URI well on and off the court. Many thanks and well wishes for their future to both.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice memories Neil you rock

Who can forget JD scoring 23 against Creighton as a frosh and help breaking the NCAA drought

Also Cyril coming up big early against Oregon early and the monster game vs PC as a senior
5 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

neil wrote: 4 years ago As I approach year 71 on the planet,my consecutive string of senior nights reaches 52. I do not say this for any sort of bragging rights. I simply love my school and the athletic program. I love acknowledging our seniors, the majority of which matriculate in four years and gladly move on with their lives. They have provided hours of memories through dedication and hard work our four seniors certainly deserve the accolades they will receive on Wednesday.
Senior nights have not always been successful ones. Preston and ARD Had a long evening and so did the group 2 years ago. I have a hunch that we are in for something special on Wednesday.
Jordan Green and Eric Dadika saw 8 minutes of playing time. How many hours did they put in to help the team. Invaluable work for only 8 minutes of glory. Eric does get an award for most dunk attempts during warm ups. Make sure they are rewarded for their efforts by your applause. They are truly unsung heroes.
Cyril-
Warrior and leader of the Rams. In the tradition of Kaheim, Art Stephenson, and ARD, Cyril played hard and to win every game. No, he wasn’t the most polished player on the team but he made up for it with blocked shots, rebounding, and forty minutes of desire. Remember the Sooner game with key foul shots and layups in overtime. Co-captain a well deserved honor. The very best of luck, health and happiness in years to come.
Jeff-
Read 83’s post/thread about Jeff. That tells you more than what I can say. Hurley once said when Jeff was a freshman, he will play some where. An important member of Ram championship teams, he was a class act, leader both on and off the court, and a Renaissance individual. When we needed a basket, it always seemed that Jeff was a part of it. Question- how many times have you watched the “3 threes in 55 seconds”? Bet you can’t watch just one! Don’t let the applause stop for one of the greatest guards in ram history. Go Rhody
O
As always Neil hits it out of the park. Here's a question for Neil, How long have you been posting these tributes online. All the way back to the projo board days i bet.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago When was the last big time* Sr Night win?

I was tempted to say 2016-17 against Davidson, but they were only 15-13 (8-9) entering that game, so they probably wouldn't be a fit for your good, quality opponent metric
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RamsRamsRams
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RamsRamsRams »

Being new to the Discussion Board I have not had the pleasure of reading Neil's prior comments. What a breath of fresh air and a great perspective. Thank you.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago

I was tempted to say 2016-17 against Davidson, but they were only 15-13 (8-9) entering that game, so they probably wouldn't be a fit for your good, quality opponent metric
You sure you have the right season? They were 20-9 (12-5) going into that game vs. Davidson in 2017 3 years ago tomorrow.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

You sure you have the right season? They were 20-9 (12-5) going into that game vs. Davidson in 2017 3 years ago tomorrow.
They meaning Davidson. I don't think they fit the good quality opponent metric at 15-13 (8-9)
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

They meaning Davidson. I don't think they fit the good quality opponent metric at 15-13 (8-9)
Ah, sorry, I obviously thought you meant Rhody's record. Damn reading comprehension (lack of) skills.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
😭😭😭😭
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Neil, you forgot the tag line...

"Have not and will not quit... THAT Ram fan"

Beautiful summary, Neil.
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Thanks for remembering!
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

I still have a decent memory... for some things.

You would be difficult to forget, Neil. Keep it going.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
This is great. Two great seniors who helped take us to 2 (hopefully 3) NCAAT!!!!!! Gonna miss these two for sure.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just got my email alert from the Ryan Center about tomorrow night's game. Senior Night festivities are scheduled to start at 8:40pm and they are asking patrons to try to be in their seats by then to appropriately honor the graduating players. Given the late starting time well after most get off work, people should have few excuses for not being able to do so.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The best sendoff for these seniors would be for this to really be their last game at the Ryan Center. Everyone involved would love for that to be the case. No one wants another encore performance in Kingston.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.....just asking, cause I suffer from CRS......we don’t start all the seniors, do we?.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .....just asking, cause I suffer from CRS......we don’t start all the seniors, do we?.....
Usually we do. But that doesn't include walk ons. TJ started for JT if you remember. It was JT's only non start that year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Did it say what time doors open?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......hopefully 7:30, gotta get to a “cubicle” or Lounge for hydration......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Just got my email alert from the Ryan Center about tomorrow night's game. Senior Night festivities are scheduled to start at 8:40pm and they are asking patrons to try to be in their seats by then to appropriately honor the graduating players. Given the late starting time well after most get off work, people should have few excuses for not being able to do so.
Both pubs will be packed at 8:40...with long lines
1 x
cRAM4finals
Jeff Kent

Unread post by cRAM4finals »

Had to go on DVR just now to rewatch JD’s 3 threes in 55 seconds. I was in Al Capones Flicker Lite bar in Hollywood Beach watching that game. That 55 seconds was awesome on TV but wish I was in my seat in 208 to see the roof come off the Ryan Center on his third make. Thanks Jeff for all the memories!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Just got my email alert from the Ryan Center about tomorrow night's game. Senior Night festivities are scheduled to start at 8:40pm and they are asking patrons to try to be in their seats by then to appropriately honor the graduating players. Given the late starting time well after most get off work, people should have few excuses for not being able to do so.
Both pubs will be packed at 8:40...with long lines
I am taking my neighbors dogs for a walk around dinner time. I am going to try to be at the RC for 7:30 if they’ll let us. I guarantee you they’ll run out of Truly’s - no beer and no plastic bottle wine for me. 😂
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I started on the projo board with Red, Ramulous, Rod and others. I remember posting around the time of Cat and Tyson. My “have not and will not quit” came from my total dislike of a troll whose goal was to keep us in a total state of mediocrity. I actually dropped off the board for a year because of him. He was quite a character.
Favorite Senior night- tj kissing the floor and 11 o’clock tomorrow night. Believe😀
5 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Due to freeing up from family duties, finally got one of the last tickets above the Rhody bench (or most of the arena for that matter) tonight! Planning on allowing time for a pregame before getting there, to avoid that cube life in the RC.
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Great article. Kid is a class act...one of the greats to rep our Rams, and will be missed big time next year.
3 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Cyril & Dowtin are special players for sure! They have my utmost respect. Love those guys!
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

neil wrote: 4 years ago I started on the projo board with Red, Ramulous, Rod and others. I remember posting around the time of Cat and Tyson. My “have not and will not quit” came from my total dislike of a troll whose goal was to keep us in a total state of mediocrity. I actually dropped off the board for a year because of him. He was quite a character.
Favorite Senior night- tj kissing the floor and 11 o’clock tomorrow night. Believe😀
haha, I remember so many people from the old site. Here's a small list:

RI Red
RodfromCranston
MilanTAzar (aka MilanfromJohnston)
Ben
tony
Neil
Native
Iggy
Ramblinrose
RF1
Gandalf (aka GandysFantasy, aka Gandy)
Spiderman
stevep123
ctramfan92
RIHoops

Honorable mention, who never appeared on any site, but lives forever in our memories: Shitty Jim (Huge man, Huge!) lol

Honorable mention #2 (same deal, just a URI campus legend): The Cellar Dweller

I'm sure I am forgetting way more than I remember.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I recall most of those guys and I was on there too great list
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Sorry, reef, almost forgot you. And also SmokinJimmiT

edit, couple more:

RhodeKill
RoadWarrior
Mongo
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
neil wrote: 4 years ago I started on the projo board with Red, Ramulous, Rod and others. I remember posting around the time of Cat and Tyson. My “have not and will not quit” came from my total dislike of a troll whose goal was to keep us in a total state of mediocrity. I actually dropped off the board for a year because of him. He was quite a character.
haha, I remember so many people from the old site. Here's a small list:

RI Red
RodfromCranston
MilanTAzar (aka MilanfromJohnston)
Ben
tony
Neil
Native
Iggy
Ramblinrose
RF1
Gandalf (aka GandysFantasy, aka Gandy)
Spiderman
stevep123
ctramfan92
RIHoops

Honorable mention, who never appeared on any site, but lives forever in our memories: Shitty Jim (Huge man, Huge!) lol

Honorable mention #2 (same deal, just a URI campus legend): The Cellar Dweller

I'm sure I am forgetting way more than I remember.
we have come a long way since the beginning of the internet. Shitty Jim wow talk about a blast from the past. he was at school when i was there. Truly a one of a kind character.

There was also someone on the projo board cant remember his full screen name but it was something like the "major"? RIJOE, Spookman.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still haven't seen anything on what time doors open. Is it 8:00 or 7:30?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......an email from a Coach Cox, today, did net mention any opening time.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Given the late starting time well after most get off work, people should have few excuses for not being able to do so.
Wanna bet?
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

The projo boards greatest thread- the dunk renovations

Our seniors are among the winningest classes in URI history and has a chance to be one of only 2 classes with 3 NCAA appearances. they will be missed.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

One of my favorite posts every year is Neil's on senior night.
Ceremony is at 8:40. Be in your seats!
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, reef, almost forgot you. And also SmokinJimmiT

edit, couple more:

RhodeKill
RoadWarrior
Mongo

i was in there also, sans my CUTBAIT posts

will never forget the harrick posts

i was glued to the computer that day
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I so wish I could be there. Is there any tv of the senior ceremony?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I so wish I could be there. Is there any tv of the senior ceremony?
No 😞

I can try to get it to you, but most likely my phone will go from 100% to 0% as soon as I walk in the door.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I so wish I could be there. Is there any tv of the senior ceremony?
No 😞

I can try to get it to you, but most likely my phone will go from 100% to 0% as soon as I walk in the door.
I hope someone in the athletic dept tapes it and releases it on Twitter. It would be nice.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago Sorry, reef, almost forgot you. And also SmokinJimmiT

edit, couple more:

RhodeKill
RoadWarrior
Mongo

i was in there also, sans my CUTBAIT posts

will never forget the harrick posts

i was glued to the computer that day
The Day that will live in infamy for URI basketball fans.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Doors open at 8 tonight
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yep.

8pm. Don’t know why we open 90 minutes early for Pee Cee every 2 years and then a Senior Night Game when activities start at 8:40 we only open at 8pm

I’ve been saying this for years, open earlier for the big games but oh well..... :cry:

Very few tickets remain in told. Better get them soon if you want them.

Also told Students are expected to show tonight.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

A bunch of us used to get together one or maybe twice a season -- Neil, Ben, Stevie, ATP, Little Red and one or two others whose names elude me -- for what we called the Slow Break Club, named in honor of the ugly style of play CFL was using at the time.
0 x