3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

20 minutes? Really? Anway, there are still plenty of students living on campus to fill 1500 seats.
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago

All of this is very true. People are going to get mad at this next part, but it's also true:

It's a giant issue that the student section is "run" by a guy in his mid 30's who isn't a student. By refusing to let the students have even a modest level of control over their own section we've helped to create this beast. I saw people ask why wasn't the Ruckus going out getting more students. We don't even let them run their own student section, athletics took it over, so why should the students be doing the athletic departments jobs for them?
So I’m the reason the kids didn’t show up the past 2 games? Got it.

There’s been a lot of great suggestions in this thread, and a lot of ridiculous overreactions. We’ve had 2 games where the kids failed to show up. Otherwise this has been the best season in recent memory of Ruckus attendance & atmosphere.

Something is wrong and we need to find out what it is that caused them to not show the past 2 games and address and fix it moving forward. but I think some of you are seriously overreacting here. As far as “control” over the Ruckus goes, I stand in front and keep energy up & kick off chants. They are free to be creative and we’ve had multiple seasons where Ruckus leaders were elected and encouraged to develop new traditions/chants, no one is “controlling” or limiting their creativity or efforts.
You're not the reason students aren't showing up but while everyone is talking about issues with the student section, one of the issues is a non-student running the student section
You seriously think the students find my presence overbearing or that by me sparking some energy when it's needed or starting off chants that it's somehow stifling their "control" or "ownership" over the Ruckus and what they do there? Come on, man.

Listen, if you find my schtick annoying, tired, or just don't like me, that's absolutely fine. I'm a big boy and have thick skin after getting roasted in my early years fumbling around not knowing what the hell I was doing out there. But this is just a preposterous take.
10 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago For anyone who thinks Blue Man didn't hit it on the head, re-examine your view of big time college basketball.
Most students still live off campus because URI has made a concerted effort over the decades prior to Dooley to have more students live off campus. So now, I live in a house with say 4 other people, I live surrounded by houses with 4 or more kids. Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media. Weekday games there is not much else going on so let make it out for that.
NOW the question is- what comes first, investing in the program so students can saw "screw all the reasons for not going, I wanna be in the building cause this team is fun to watch". OR do you build a fun environment so students want to be there because they're having fun and then that leads to better environment for players/recruits/fans which then builds the program.

Either way they need to do something different, because this feeling today is the same as it felt 10+ years ago when I was there during the Baron years.
You both are onto something that is pretty easy to see when you think about it. I’m not sure what is more scary the fact that URI hasn’t adjusted to the times around them or the fact that we have to cater to college kids by promising them shirts, handouts and everything else under the suneed all the people we can get into the Ryan Center. Beer and WiFI are a great starting point!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm now blaming Dick's Sporting Goods...they sent me an email yesterday selling gear for NCAA teams:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/ad ... =423867197
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

All of this is very true. People are going to get mad at this next part, but it's also true:

It's a giant issue that the student section is "run" by a guy in his mid 30's who isn't a student. By refusing to let the students have even a modest level of control over their own section we've helped to create this beast. I saw people ask why wasn't the Ruckus going out getting more students. We don't even let them run their own student section, athletics took it over, so why should the students be doing the athletic departments jobs for them?

There’s been a lot of great suggestions in this thread, and a lot of ridiculous overreactions. We’ve had 2 games where the kids failed to show up. Otherwise this has been the best season in recent memory of Ruckus attendance & atmosphere.

Something is wrong and we need to find out what it is that caused them to not show the past 2 games and address and fix it moving forward. but I think some of you are seriously overreacting here. As far as “control” over the Ruckus goes, I stand in front and keep energy up & kick off chants. They are free to be creative and we’ve had multiple seasons where Ruckus leaders were elected and encouraged to develop new traditions/chants, no one is “controlling” or limiting their creativity or efforts.
You're not the reason students aren't showing up but while everyone is talking about issues with the student section, one of the issues is a non-student running the student section
The “issue” is a non-student running the section? Oh puhleeze.... find me someone as charismatic as JV who can hype the crowd. I could probably at least get out there since I have no shame in public speaking, but I wouldn’t even come close to hyping up like John does. Plus I bet no one would be able to hear me. When he’s done he will pass the torch but until then... wow I can’t believe I read that statement. What a ridiculous and insulting statement.

I know in the past few years sitting where I sit I’ve observed there’s typically a student who’s the unofficial head of the Ruckus I guess.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago 20 minutes? Really? Anway, there are still plenty of students living on campus to fill 1500 seats.
Let me be clear on this. I think 20 minutes is a weak excuse. I drove up from Westchester NY yesterday just for the game, and that was after I coached my lacrosse team practice which ended at 10am. Spent more time one way driving than I did watching basketball. My wife and I weren't going to go but she convinced me that I would regret it if they won this and made it to the tournament.

20 minutes to a 21 year old kid who is already unmotivated is an eternity. Even if it is a 5 minute walk. If they're unmotivated, it doesn't matter how close they are. What Blue Man has said for years and I'm joining him now in saying, is that there is a "rational" (to a current 19-21 year old college student, not rational to us) reason for this.
But why I expect the people running the show to understand this is clearly my own fault.
To think that we have 2 "pubs" that hold maybe 100 people each in a near 8k person arena is asinine. Or that at half time I go to the other side of the arena down to the floor level so I can actually get a beer only to stand under the bleachers (which I learned this weekend d only got done because apparently Cox's wife pushed to have ANYTHING down there) without a live feed of the court or even audio to tell me when the 2nd half is about to start. And that's for paying customers from outside the University. How is that acceptable in 2020?

I've gone to games almost every year since I graduated in 2011. This year was the first year I was able to make most of the games of the 5 game package so I bought it. Don't know if I can justify the drive and all the costs incorporated next year for more mediocrity and disappointment.
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

JV you are fantastic and keep that place rocking even with the uphill battle you have. I give you lots of credit for returning game in and game out, year over year. The RC would be like a nursing home without you
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago 20 minutes? Really? Anway, there are still plenty of students living on campus to fill 1500 seats.

The on campus resident population is the biggest it has ever been. Just added 500 more a few weeks ago with the opening of the new Brookside Hall dorm located directly across the street from the Ryan Center.

There are now some 30+ residential dorms and apartment university operated buildings on campus. In addition to that, most of the 14 fraternities and 10 sororities have their own residential buildings that house even more students. The number of students living on campus probably today is well in excess of some 6k. A few thousand more students live relatively close by in rentals down the line.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago JV you are fantastic and keep that place rocking even with the uphill battle you have. I give you lots of credit for returning game in and game out, year over year. The RC would be like a nursing home without you
.......hey, hey, I resemble that nursing home reference..... :lol:
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I will say one more thing; It’s not lost on me that I’ve been doing this for 12 seasons and I’m now in my 30’s. One of the reasons I wanted to “retire” 2 years ago was because I absolutely do not wish to be a sad 40 year old, running around the arena & cheering with college kids. But the overwhelming support & pleading from fans (and the fact I love this damn job) convinced me to come back.

I’ve got 1, MAYBE 2 seasons left in the tank and will definitely be passing the baton sooner than later and hope we can find a worthy, young replacement to take over.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For anyone bashing JV, do you remember what it was like a couple of years ago when someone else was doing it? Not good.
7 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago JV you are fantastic and keep that place rocking even with the uphill battle you have. I give you lots of credit for returning game in and game out, year over year. The RC would be like a nursing home without you
I was gonna go with funeral home, but thought that was probably a worse comparison lol
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
I was gonna go with funeral home, but thought that was probably a worse comparison lol
........before I retired 10 years ago, I often drove the Peekskill/Cortlandt run from my office, directly to games then back home......your efforts are noteworthy, and the rest of your post should be a memo to Dooley, Thorr, RC management.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

idk, when I went to games in the early and mid 90's, there was still Frat row, and my brother was in ZBT, so those guys and other frats just made it an event on a Saturday to go to the game if they were playing in Keaney. I would tag along. Natch, we would get all buzzed up first at his Frat house.

Things have changed. The complexion of the student base has changed. Who knows if there is any going back. It's not really anyone one's fault.
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Horrible take...absolutely brutal
6 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago I will say one more thing; It’s not lost on me that I’ve been doing this for 12 seasons and I’m now in my 30’s. One of the reasons I wanted to “retire” 2 years ago was because I absolutely do not wish to be a sad 40 year old, running around the arena & cheering with college kids. But the overwhelming support & pleading from fans (and the fact I love this damn job) convinced me to come back.

I’ve got 1, MAYBE 2 seasons left in the tank and will definitely be passing the baton sooner than later and hope we can find a worthy, young replacement to take over.
You are a STUD. I see no excuse from students on this one. Sunday at 2pm - not noon - plenty of time to sleep and get back on the booze wagon. I was in a fraternity. It didnt take a lot of arm twisting to get a group of guys all down to the game. Just kids - they have their phone and that is their best friend , safety blanket, entertainment. How about some school spirit?? WTF - we are in a battle. How about supporting your fellow students - those guys have been giving their hearts to this school. Lets support them.

Ryan Center should be sell out and crazy on Wednesday Night

Go RHODY. Win this for the Cox and make a statement - little odds but we are Rhody.

BTW - what a shit game for Cat to see
8 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago For anyone who thinks Blue Man didn't hit it on the head, re-examine your view of big time college basketball.
Most students still live off campus because URI has made a concerted effort over the decades prior to Dooley to have more students live off campus. So now, I live in a house with say 4 other people, I live surrounded by houses with 4 or more kids. Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media. Weekday games there is not much else going on so let make it out for that.
NOW the question is- what comes first, investing in the program so students can saw "screw all the reasons for not going, I wanna be in the building cause this team is fun to watch". OR do you build a fun environment so students want to be there because they're having fun and then that leads to better environment for players/recruits/fans which then builds the program.

Either way they need to do something different, because this feeling today is the same as it felt 10+ years ago when I was there during the Baron years.
You both are onto something that is pretty easy to see when you think about it. I’m not sure what is more scary the fact that URI hasn’t adjusted to the times around them or the fact that we have to cater to college kids by promising them shirts, handouts and everything else under the suneed all the people we can get into the Ryan Center. Beer and WiFI are a great starting point!
I don’t think we need to cater to college kids.

If we are at the point where drinking, WiFi, and replays in a sporting arena aren’t considered “basic necessities” of a game day experience - we have zero business playing D-1 basketball in 2020.

It’s entertainment. PhiPsi NAILED it: “Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media.”

We are competing against every other entertainment option out there. It’s 2020. Every college game is on TV. Bars exist.

Student have access to every other form of entertainment available whenever they want it.

The Ryan Center is literally a 2 hour time travel to 20 years ago.

If you saw a good play on the court - you have to wait 2-3 hours to see it again. Want to see stats during the game? Go to the alumni lounge for a sick print out of the 1st half stats on paper.

Sure in the 90s when jumbotrons, the internet, and widely televised basketball didn’t exist - Keaney gym was the only entertainment in South County.

That’s not the case any more.

But like everything else, we’ll wait another 5+ years to address the problem, and do it half-assed and buried in red tape - or act like it’s some “special” thing that only URI has ever done (like beer) and restrict it to the point where it’s almost more trouble than it’s worth.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago OK. I have tried to calm down since yesterday but nothing seems to be working. So let's just look at numbers and see what they say
Try a couple brewhoffers and a good night's sleep.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.
I totally get it. If we were all coaching this team we’d be 31-0. In fact, if I were out there we’d have negative losses. BOOM. Problem solved. Get Thorr on the phone..

It still amazes me that when we’re winning we’ve got the best coach ever and our team is stacked and we fret over over the CPC, the "coach-poaching cartel." Yet once we lose, our coach doesn’t know what he’s doing and the team is barely D1 caliber. Easily dancing...Very entertaining.
forgot something....
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago idk, when I went to games in the early and mid 90's, there was still Frat row, and my brother was in ZBT, so those guys and other frats just made it an event on a Saturday to go to the game if they were playing in Keaney. I would tag along. Natch, we would get all buzzed up first at his Frat house.

Things have changed. The complexion of the student base has changed. Who knows if there is any going back. It's not really anyone one's fault.
Help me understand what you mean by the complexion of the student base has changed? Has it changed at Rhody and not at VCU or St. Louis or...............................................

I'll ask it again, were the tickets pulled back early and made available to the general public ( I assume for $) and the students were shut out even if they wanted to go???

JV is that a possibility?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah...that’s not valid. Marketing always has fliers/ads up in dining halls and union, blasted all over social media, and did dorm door hangers for this weekends game. Awareness is not the problem here. I’m just having a difficult time determining WHY this is suddenly happening so late in the season? We’ve had awesome student attendance all year during non-break games. And the team lost exactly once, so it isn’t due to performance. I just don’t understand it...or this generation of kids I guess.
When I looked over at the student section I saw kids looking disinterested and bored. Some had their legs up over the seats in front of them to relax and stretch.

Professional Football Teams do many surveys regarding the Game Day Experience. Asking about how you got to the game, how you left the game, where you parked, how satisfied were you with the time to exit the arena, how was the security check, did you eat at the game, where did you eat, what did you eat, how did you feel about the value of your meal, etc etc. a lot of questions. They even have groups that volunteer to give ideas and feedback. Upon leaving the arena, the workers thank you for coming, smile, ask you to come back. It’s about the customer experience. People have a choice as to how to spend their money and time.

URI does not do this. They don’t seem to care. People here get mad at the students. Fact is nobody knows why the students are not coming. It’s all guesswork. No facts, no surveys, no nothing, just guessing and hypothesizing.

It would be very easy to find out what URI Men’s Basketball needs to do to make students want to come to games more. They just have to do it.

If I was President Dooley I’d be asking my Marketing Director and my AD what is the problem? I’d like a study done and an action plan on my desk in by March 20. What are the top 10 reasons students are not attending, what can we do to address each reason.

The URI Basketball Season Tickets should be viewed as a Service that competes with other Entertainment Options. Instead it seems that URI, the Ticket Takers, etc are the Customer and everyone gets mad when people don’t come in expected numbers.

I’ve said it many times......it’s totally inexcusable to not have a working Wi-Fi in that Ryan Center.
I can’t take a picture of Cuttino Mobley and send it to anyone live. I can’t check the game box score at the half on ESPN or gorhody.com, I can’t do anything with my phone. No news ever from URI to show they know there is a problem with Wi-Fi, nobody shows that they care, no short or long term plan to address the problem..... nobody cares, or so it seems. The CUE was a disaster....no effective communications of any type to show anyone cared, or what anyone was doing to address it.

Nobody know why the students are not coming. But I’d bet anything inability to access social media is not enhancing the Student Game Day Experience.

I want to check half time stats, can’t, and then the scoreboard has that stupid advertisement blocking the section for stats on both sides. I will NOT give business to that sponsor.

And while we are on students....

15 minutes before the National Anthem I’d guess 15% full
5 minutes before tip off maybe 40% in seats
After tip off many people still going to seats
4 minutes left in the game people are leaving - what does that say to the players
Paying crowd was dull. Langevine several times waving his arms to try to bring the crowd back from the dead.

1. President and AD create a Enhance the Game Day Experience Task Force
2. Create Deadlines and layout expectations for the team
3. Consider an outside consultant to do the surveys
4. Engage Learfield
5. President and AD to have meeting with Long Term Season Ticket Holders, Short Term Season Ticket Holders and Students to ask first hand how to enhance Game Day Experiences

Look into Women’s Team and Men’s Team Doubleheader’s. 5pm. 7pm
Let me save everyone the time:

1) Sell. Beer. To. People. Of. Drinking. Age. And. Let. Them. Take. It. To. Their. Seats.
2) Put a functional WiFi network and Cellular repeater in the building.
3) instant replay
4) Stop coveting your "family friendly" no mean words to the opposing team bullshit. I feel like I've said the same 4 things over and over and over again for 2 decades. Security watching the student section like hawks. Ensuring that any type of college-aged fun is unacceptable for an arena built on a college campus for college athletic events.

The fact that the first 3 even need to be put into writing in the year of our Lord 2020 should show you how backwards we actually are. We're talking about a sports arena.

We don't value high level athletics here. The lack of a serious proposal to make basketball a priority at URI in the spring of 2017 drove that point home. Once an A10 title and NCAA birth/win didn't get our big donors to put a plan in place that invested in URI being a high-level program (practice facility, charter flights, better pay for assistants, etc) - that was the beginning of the end. The 2018 Hurley contract with those promises was too late. He was already going to UConn thanks to the lack of a real offer in 2017. It should have been clear in 2017 that we will never be a big time athletics program.

Our atmosphere is more sterilized and sanitized than any of your typical big name college programs. If you are a college kid and a sports fan, our environment isn't for you. It's been that way forever. There's been a lack of buzz around this program all year to be honest.

The game day atmosphere is trash game in and game out unless there is a big name or highly ranked opponent on the other bench. It always has been.

The last 2 games have been the dream scenario from all the decision makers that I believe a few of us have warned of for years on end.

Family friendly fun! Woo! Win or lose? Doesn't matter! Minute of mayhem! Polite crowd! Only a few students but we got all the families in there! Yay!!!!!

This is where we belong because this is where we invest to. Just enough to be competitive, not enough to get over the hump. Sports purgatory. What a life.
Well said. Bottom line is, we don't appreciate high level athletics enough to improve upon or sustain them...
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago idk, when I went to games in the early and mid 90's, there was still Frat row, and my brother was in ZBT, so those guys and other frats just made it an event on a Saturday to go to the game if they were playing in Keaney. I would tag along. Natch, we would get all buzzed up first at his Frat house.

Help me understand what you mean by the complexion of the student base has changed? Has it changed at Rhody and not at VCU or St. Louis or...............................................
Probably not - but I bet the students at those arenas don’t have to choose between 21st century technology and beer to watch a basketball game.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Let me be clear on this. I think 20 minutes is a weak excuse. I drove up from Westchester NY yesterday just for the game, and that was after I coached my lacrosse team practice which ended at 10am. Spent more time one way driving than I did watching basketball. My wife and I weren't going to go but she convinced me that I would regret it if they won this and made it to the tournament.

20 minutes to a 21 year old kid who is already unmotivated is an eternity. Even if it is a 5 minute walk. If they're unmotivated, it doesn't matter how close they are. What Blue Man has said for years and I'm joining him now in saying, is that there is a "rational" (to a current 19-21 year old college student, not rational to us) reason for this.
But why I expect the people running the show to understand this is clearly my own fault.
To think that we have 2 "pubs" that hold maybe 100 people each in a near 8k person arena is asinine. Or that at half time I go to the other side of the arena down to the floor level so I can actually get a beer only to stand under the bleachers (which I learned this weekend d only got done because apparently Cox's wife pushed to have ANYTHING down there) without a live feed of the court or even audio to tell me when the 2nd half is about to start. And that's for paying customers from outside the University. How is that acceptable in 2020?

I've gone to games almost every year since I graduated in 2011. This year was the first year I was able to make most of the games of the 5 game package so I bought it. Don't know if I can justify the drive and all the costs incorporated next year for more mediocrity and disappointment.
Hurray for Mrs. C!! Get that lady on a committee!!!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I think you were behind me in line at halftime!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think we need to cater to college kids.

If we are at the point where drinking, WiFi, and replays in a sporting arena aren’t considered “basic necessities” of a game day experience - we have zero business playing D-1 basketball in 2020.

It’s entertainment. PhiPsi NAILED it: “Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media.”

We are competing against every other entertainment option out there. It’s 2020. Every college game is on TV. Bars exist.

Student have access to every other form of entertainment available whenever they want it.

The Ryan Center is literally a 2 hour time travel to 20 years ago.

If you saw a good play on the court - you have to wait 2-3 hours to see it again. Want to see stats during the game? Go to the alumni lounge for a sick print out of the 1st half stats on paper.

Sure in the 90s when jumbotrons, the internet, and widely televised basketball didn’t exist - Keaney gym was the only entertainment in South County.

That’s not the case any more.

But like everything else, we’ll wait another 5+ years to address the problem, and do it half-assed and buried in red tape - or act like it’s some “special” thing that only URI has ever done (like beer) and restrict it to the point where it’s almost more trouble than it’s worth.
17 years ago my Nokia phone could have sent a 9Tword text to my friend in my dorm better than I can respond to a text now if my mom asks me “what’s the score of the game?”
1 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

The “issue” is a non-student running the section? Oh puhleeze.... find me someone as charismatic as JV who can hype the crowd. I could probably at least get out there since I have no shame in public speaking, but I wouldn’t even come close to hyping up like John does. Plus I bet no one would be able to hear me. When he’s done he will pass the torch but until then... wow I can’t believe I read that statement. What a ridiculous and insulting statement.

I know in the past few years sitting where I sit I’ve observed there’s typically a student who’s the unofficial head of the Ruckus I guess.
Wasn’t going to jump on this but after taking all day to get through this thread something had to be said. Anybody who’s blaming EZ for the reason the students didn’t show up must be going crazy.

Couple years ago before the “ruckus” was actually branded completely I was that “student” leader who actually tried to get kids to the games, telling everyone to come, even making papers that had the rosters of the other team along with stats and chants. I remember at one time at a game when the team was running rough we might of had maybe 10 of us and EZ. We never gave up.

People that went after me pieced a better Ruckus and got it to where it is to be. One of those people involved in that push was EZ and a handful of others that I could sit here and list regarding the change of our student section to have a name and an identity and a transformation of “The Mob”.

I agree with valid points from everyone here including Blueman and others regarding alcohol and WiFi. Hell I was on call yesterday at the Ryan center and even knew nothing was going through.

I think that even with door hangers, the team should be out there on campus chatting with students, trying to get their support. We need the 6th man especially on Wednesday. Just seeing the last two games sitting in my seats in the young alumni section is upsetting. Even with the rough performances we need to do better. Period.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Louis put Tay Weaver in Jacob Toppin during the 4 minutes Weaver played. Weaver is shorter than Russell. There was also a time that the 6’ (at most) Yuri Collins was assigned Toppin as Goodwin took on guarding Russell in the 2nd half after Collins covered Russell in the 1st half.

Toppin had a huge mismatch opportunity as he is a foot taller than Weaver.

We never took advantage of those mismatches.

Could Toppin have done a better job getting inside position on Weaver, yes, Toppin is still learning, but our guards and coaching staff should have leveraged this opportunity. I watched Jacob’s family during the time and it was clear all knew the opportunity was there.
Ball should have gone to the mismatch and Jacob could back down Weaver/Collins for the close in shot or pass off the Langevine or pass back out for the open 3P.

It was interesting that Saint Louis would go with that defensive strategy but even more surprising we would exploit the situation.

I hope we see more Toppin vs Dayton, UMASS and in Barclays.
2 x