3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Re: 3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago A lot of that is coaching.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.
I had the same feeling after he was hired on as head coach, was it for the right reasons. I was also expecting JH to be contributing more right now and Tate departure hurt. Not trying to bash JH, I still feel like we’ll see him come to form next year if (hopefully he’s still here).

Also with Cox I love the way he stepped up and had the teams back at the end of the Umass game, where was that fire yesterday? I feel like I haven’t seen it since. He should have been all over the refs for some of those missed 2nd half fouls and welcomed a T-Foul, maybe motivate the team.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago One cool thing that happened was in the 2nd half, a little kid dropped a ball onto the court and they had to stop the game. And instead of throwing the family out (the kid was visibly upset and crying), Dowtin (as classy a player as the program has ever had BTW) brought the ball over to the kid, the ref gave him a high 5 or fist pump, the crowd applauded and the game resumed.
I watched the entire thing. There’s NO way they would have ever been thrown out. Jefe is the man!
I didn’t see him “drop” it, but the ball was out in the middle of the court when play was stopped. :lol: :lol:
I think the Ref’s could have gone to the replay? My guess is it was a pretty good throw by the little guy.

Wonderful handling of the situation by our beloved Senior Jeff Dowtin. I’d like to see this same little kid present Jeff with a Game Ball this Wednesday Night at Senior Night!!

It was one of those Little Orange 🏀 Basketballs that we throw up into the crowd during breaks.
Correction: it is a little orange basketball from the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem!
1 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Just an awful day all around yesterday.

Extremely disappointed in the students. I gave them a pass for the SJU game but am dumbfounded/furious as to why they didn’t show again yesterday. Can’t blame marketing - it was advertised all over campus, dorms, social media etc all week.

I spoke to the diehard Ruckus kids who attend religiously and they also had no idea. Not sure if it’s apathy or an overall lack of caring about the team or the fact they’d rather nurse a hangover/not leave their beds on a Sunday. Sure, weeknight attendance is always bigger than weekends - but this is the worst I’ve seen it when the team has been good. I just don’t understand and is really disheartening - especially since it makes my job incredibly more difficult & exhausting. To compound it with a backbreaking loss really hurt.
9 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I DVRed the game and the only part I wanted to see was the 2 non calls on Fatts in the first half just to make sure I was not seeing things. The first was his drive to the hoop when he was knocked to the floor with no foul called. Before he got up he stared at the ref in disbelief a foul was not called. He was absolutely clobbered as I suspected.
The second was when the defender went for his shot fake and Fatts leaned into him and threw up a 3 pointer. Again it was clearly a foul but nothing was called. Hurley would have been tossed at that point.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Just an awful day all around yesterday.

Extremely disappointed in the students. I gave them a pass for the SJU game but am dumbfounded/furious as to why they didn’t show again yesterday. Can’t blame marketing - it was advertised all over campus, dorms, social media etc all week.

I spoke to the diehard Ruckus kids who attend religiously and they also had no idea. Not sure if it’s apathy or an overall lack of caring about the team or the fact they’d rather nurse a hangover/not leave their beds on a Sunday. Sure, weeknight attendance is always bigger than weekends - but this is the worst I’ve seen it when the team has been good. I just don’t understand and is really disheartening - especially since it makes my job incredibly more difficult & exhausting. To compound it with a backbreaking loss really hurt.
So, that excuse by someone here that students didn't even know there was a game because of a lack of advertising goes out the window.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago I DVRed the game and the only part I wanted to see was the 2 non calls on Fatts in the first half just to make sure I was not seeing things. The first was his drive to the hoop when he was knocked to the floor with no foul called. Before he got up he stared at the ref in disbelief a foul was not called. He was absolutely clobbered as I suspected.
The second was when the defender went for his shot fake and Fatts leaned into him and threw up a 3 pointer. Again it was clearly a foul but nothing was called. Hurley would have been tossed at that point.
And that guy that Fatts pump faked was French. That play was right in front of me. With the difference in size of the players, French could have killed Fatts. Definitely a foul and should have been 3 free throws.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago So, left the arena and went to Trio for a bite. Not a chance in hell I'm going back and reading about the shit show I just saw. Not the team I thought they were. They looked defeated before they took the court. Maybe it was cause students didn't show up and don't give a fuck about this team? I don't know. This season is a freakin mess now.
Was the food at Trio even good? I’m not impressed with their food sometimes.
I agree with you completely. I was there the night of the Davidson game as me and my wife always go once a year and it always seems to let us down somewhat. I think we keep going because we like Narragansett so much and hope it will be better.
I was actually being polite about Trio. I find it the least impressive of all NRG restaurants. Castle Hill Inn, Avvio, Hemenways, Waterman Grille are all terrific.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

eli#10 wrote: 4 years ago I DVRed the game and the only part I wanted to see was the 2 non calls on Fatts in the first half just to make sure I was not seeing things. The first was his drive to the hoop when he was knocked to the floor with no foul called. Before he got up he stared at the ref in disbelief a foul was not called. He was absolutely clobbered as I suspected.
What made matters worse, was (if memory serves), fouls were called on us the next play down the court which were nowhere near as bad as the fouls not called. After the no call on the three, walker was called for a foul on a pretty clean block.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago

I agree with you completely. I was there the night of the Davidson game as me and my wife always go once a year and it always seems to let us down somewhat. I think we keep going because we like Narragansett so much and hope it will be better.
I was actually being polite about Trio. I find it the least impressive of all NRG restaurants. Castle Hill Inn, Avvio, Hemenways, Waterman Grille are all terrific.
Well we had drinks and apps at the bar. Mussels, Littlenecks and a Crab Cake. Thought they were good. I had a Filet last thursday which I thought was good as well. I have only been there recently. I believe we went after the SJU game which was our first time. So I don't have much experience with Trio to say one way or the other.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

I think what you are seeing with Fatts is refs know he is creating the contact to get the foul called on absolutely ridiculous shots. On the 3 point attempt, to me, that is an offensive foul. He jumps into the defender just to create the contact. if he went straight up on that shot and gets fouled you are correct but watch it again he jumps straight at French.
1 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Agreed, Pete. I don’t frequent the other places but have been to most. I’ll say Trio is the bottom tier. When I was a kid it used to be a gas station. Back when the pier wasn’t a complete desolate wasteland of condos for people from Del Boca Vista.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago One cool thing that happened was in the 2nd half, a little kid dropped a ball onto the court and they had to stop the game. And instead of throwing the family out (the kid was visibly upset and crying), Dowtin (as classy a player as the program has ever had BTW) brought the ball over to the kid, the ref gave him a high 5 or fist pump, the crowd applauded and the game resumed.
I watched the entire thing. There’s NO way they would have ever been thrown out. Jefe is the man!
I didn’t see him “drop” it, but the ball was out in the middle of the court when play was stopped. :lol: :lol:
I think the Ref’s could have gone to the replay? My guess is it was a pretty good throw by the little guy.

Wonderful handling of the situation by our beloved Senior Jeff Dowtin. I’d like to see this same little kid present Jeff with a Game Ball this Wednesday Night at Senior Night!!

It was one of those Little Orange 🏀 Basketballs that we throw up into the crowd during breaks.

Given the age of that kid and where the seats were (right on the court), I had an issue with the parent. They should have known enough not to let a small child keep the ball in their hands playing with it during the game given their location and circumstances. They should have taken it and put it away for later. Making it even worse, it appeared from my vantage point that the kid was still allowed to hold it after it was returned from mid court. I felt that this was putting the players at risk given what had already happened.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago OK. I have tried to calm down since yesterday but nothing seems to be working. So let's just look at numbers and see what they say

Yesterday's game
Cyril 3-10 (not a typo but same as Davidson Game)
Fatts 5-16 (made a few meaningless shots at the end)

Jeff 5-9
Martin 4-10

A-10 League Games
Cyril 42% - 99% layups
Fatts 38%

Jeff 45%
Martin 45%

Not sure what anyone else thinks but I know who i would rather take most of the shots and its not the guys who are taking them now.

PUT JEFF ON THE BALL.
Jeff was 2-4 at the half and Fatts was 1-9. That's most of your ball game right there. I've been saying since the beginning of last year that we need Jeff with the ball because he's better at creating for everyone, including Fatts. That's not the direction Cox has chosen to go in and it's not going to change at this point
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago OK. I have tried to calm down since yesterday but nothing seems to be working. So let's just look at numbers and see what they say

Yesterday's game
Cyril 3-10 (not a typo but same as Davidson Game)
Fatts 5-16 (made a few meaningless shots at the end)

Jeff 5-9
Martin 4-10

A-10 League Games
Cyril 42% - 99% layups
Fatts 38%

Jeff 45%
Martin 45%

Not sure what anyone else thinks but I know who i would rather take most of the shots and its not the guys who are taking them now.

PUT JEFF ON THE BALL.
Jeff was 2-4 at the half and Fatts was 1-9. That's most of your ball game right there. I've been saying since the beginning of last year that we need Jeff with the ball because he's better at creating for everyone, including Fatts. That's not the direction Cox has chosen to go in and it's not going to change at this point
Jeff is also like automatic from mid range yet he only seems to take the shot as a last resort. Gotta be more selfish
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago
I think what you are seeing with Fatts is refs know he is creating the contact to get the foul called on absolutely ridiculous shots. On the 3 point attempt, to me, that is an offensive foul. He jumps into the defender just to create the contact. if he went straight up on that shot and gets fouled you are correct but watch it again he jumps straight at French.
I agree that in many cases Fatts is trying too hard to get fouled. From the angle we had on that 3 PT "attempt", he was literally flailing forward in order to try to make contact, initiated by him. You can't just throw yourself into someone like that and expect the call. It was blatant. I'm sure the refs are not giving Fatts those calls like he was getting earlier in the season. Have to adjust.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

So, that excuse by someone here that students didn't even know there was a game because of a lack of advertising goes out the window.
I just don't buy it that students "didn't know there was a game". They will be checking instagram, twitter, facebook, whatever it is 24/7. There were posts from Rhodymbb on all of those about the game. There is also a huge cutout of Cyril and I think Dowtin at the entrance of both dining halls. There's literally no way to miss those unless you're blind or just not into sports.

I still think there's this very self-centered attitude with the students that haven't showed up. For them it's not about supporting their team, seniors. They clearly don't appreciate the amazing Ryan Center or the free fucking tickets that they get for being a student. Imagine how much of a shitty fan you can be, to get free admission to every basketball game but only go to 2-3 a year because "they're not playing anyone good". Or "I wanted to sleep in".

Bullshit.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I was thinking to myself late in the game that when we get last year’s Fatts we get last year’s results

I think this is true but unfair to Fatts as I believe he is playing thru some stuff and there is no depth to help or rest him
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Agree. Try Bar’ Cino in Newport if you haven’t already. The food and atmosphere are great. They are fairly new as being part of the Restaurant groups.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Yeah...that’s not valid. Marketing always has fliers/ads up in dining halls and union, blasted all over social media, and did dorm door hangers for this weekends game. Awareness is not the problem here. I’m just having a difficult time determining WHY this is suddenly happening so late in the season? We’ve had awesome student attendance all year during non-break games. And the team lost exactly once, so it isn’t due to performance. I just don’t understand it...or this generation of kids I guess.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago

Yeah...that’s not valid. Marketing always has fliers/ads up in dining halls and union, blasted all over social media, and did dorm door hangers for this weekends game. Awareness is not the problem here. I’m just having a difficult time determining WHY this is suddenly happening so late in the season? We’ve had awesome student attendance all year during non-break games. And the team lost exactly once, so it isn’t due to performance. I just don’t understand it...or this generation of kids I guess.
And it's not that just a few of the ones who came to earlier games have decided not to come. Or even a couple of hundred have decided not to come. It seems that well over a thousand that have been at games earlier in the year decided not to come. You were down on the floor so you could see the student sections well. The 300s didn't have any students. Those sitting up there were sold to the public. Some of the 200 sections were also not students. Only 201 had a fair number of students. I estimated the student attendance at about 300. What is your estimate?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago A lot of that is coaching.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.
I totally get it. If we were all coaching this team we’d be 31-0. In fact, if I were out there we’d have negative losses. BOOM. Problem solved. Get Thorr on the phone..

It still amazes me that when we’re winning we’ve got the best coach ever and our team is stacked. Yet once we lose, our coach doesn’t know what he’s doing and the team is barely D1 caliber. Easily dancing...Very entertaining.
4 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

And it's not that just a few of the ones who came to earlier games have decided not to come. Or even a couple of hundred have decided not to come. It seems that well over a thousand that have been at games earlier in the year decided not to come. You were down on the floor so you could see the student sections well. The 300s didn't have any students. Those sitting up there were sold to the public. Some of the 200 sections were also not students. Only 201 had a fair number of students. I estimated the student attendance at about 300. What is your estimate?
I’d say 300-400 is about right. More filled in late. Entire 100 section was students, about 3/4 of what was in 200 was as well, saw none in 300s
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

When I looked over at the student section I saw kids looking disinterested and bored. Some had their legs up over the seats in front of them to relax and stretch.

Professional Football Teams do many surveys regarding the Game Day Experience. Asking about how you got to the game, how you left the game, where you parked, how satisfied were you with the time to exit the arena, how was the security check, did you eat at the game, where did you eat, what did you eat, how did you feel about the value of your meal, etc etc. a lot of questions. They even have groups that volunteer to give ideas and feedback. Upon leaving the arena, the workers thank you for coming, smile, ask you to come back. It’s about the customer experience. People have a choice as to how to spend their money and time.

URI does not do this. They don’t seem to care. People here get mad at the students. Fact is nobody knows why the students are not coming. It’s all guesswork. No facts, no surveys, no nothing, just guessing and hypothesizing.

It would be very easy to find out what URI Men’s Basketball needs to do to make students want to come to games more. They just have to do it.

If I was President Dooley I’d be asking my Marketing Director and my AD what is the problem? I’d like a study done and an action plan on my desk in by March 20. What are the top 10 reasons students are not attending, what can we do to address each reason.

The URI Basketball Season Tickets should be viewed as a Service that competes with other Entertainment Options. Instead it seems that URI, the Ticket Takers, etc are the Customer and everyone gets mad when people don’t come in expected numbers.

I’ve said it many times......it’s totally inexcusable to not have a working Wi-Fi in that Ryan Center.
I can’t take a picture of Cuttino Mobley and send it to anyone live. I can’t check the game box score at the half on ESPN or gorhody.com, I can’t do anything with my phone. No news ever from URI to show they know there is a problem with Wi-Fi, nobody shows that they care, no short or long term plan to address the problem..... nobody cares, or so it seems. The CUE was a disaster....no effective communications of any type to show anyone cared, or what anyone was doing to address it.

Nobody know why the students are not coming. But I’d bet anything inability to access social media is not enhancing the Student Game Day Experience.

I want to check half time stats, can’t, and then the scoreboard has that stupid advertisement blocking the section for stats on both sides. I will NOT give business to that sponsor.

And while we are on students....

15 minutes before the National Anthem I’d guess 15% full paying customers
5 minutes before tip off maybe 40% in seats paying customers
After tip off many people still going to seats paying customers
4 minutes left in the game people are leaving - what does that say to the players - paying customers
Paying crowd was dull. Langevine several times waving his arms to try to bring the crowd back from the dead.

1. President and AD create a Enhance the Game Day Experience Task Force
2. Create Deadlines and layout expectations for the team
3. Consider an outside consultant to do the surveys
4. Engage Learfield
5. President and AD to have meeting with Long Term Season Ticket Holders, Short Term Season Ticket Holders and Students to ask first hand how to enhance Game Day Experiences

Look into Women’s Team and Men’s Team Doubleheader’s. 5pm. 7pm
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

Given the age of that kid and where the seats were (right on the court), I had an issue with the parent. They should have known enough not to let a small child keep the ball in their hands playing with it during the game given their location and circumstances. They should have taken it and put it away for later. Making it even worse, it appeared from my vantage point that the kid was still allowed to hold it after it was returned from mid court. I felt that this was putting the players at risk given what had already happened.
The only thing missing from yesterday's debacle of a.game would have been if the kid threw it through the hoop.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Billikens are better
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......kiosk beer sales and to seats, students sitting behind visitors bench section(s)......consistent winning program......
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Let the students themselves tell it

Otherwise it’s just guessing from non students
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When I looked over at the student section I saw kids looking disinterested and bored. Some had their legs up over the seats in front of them to relax and stretch.

Professional Football Teams do many surveys regarding the Game Day Experience. Asking about how you got to the game, how you left the game, where you parked, how satisfied were you with the time to exit the arena, how was the security check, did you eat at the game, where did you eat, what did you eat, how did you feel about the value of your meal, etc etc. a lot of questions. They even have groups that volunteer to give ideas and feedback. Upon leaving the arena, the workers thank you for coming, smile, ask you to come back. It’s about the customer experience. People have a choice as to how to spend their money and time.

URI does not do this. They don’t seem to care. People here get mad at the students. Fact is nobody knows why the students are not coming. It’s all guesswork. No facts, no surveys, no nothing, just guessing and hypothesizing.

It would be very easy to find out what URI Men’s Basketball needs to do to make students want to come to games more. They just have to do it.

If I was President Dooley I’d be asking my Marketing Director and my AD what is the problem? I’d like a study done and an action plan on my desk in by March 20. What are the top 10 reasons students are not attending, what can we do to address each reason.

The URI Basketball Season Tickets should be viewed as a Service that competes with other Entertainment Options. Instead it seems that URI, the Ticket Takers, etc are the Customer and everyone gets mad when people don’t come in expected numbers.

I’ve said it many times......it’s totally inexcusable to not have a working Wi-Fi in that Ryan Center.
I can’t take a picture of Cuttino Mobley and send it to anyone live. I can’t check the game box score at the half on ESPN or gorhody.com, I can’t do anything with my phone. No news ever from URI to show they know there is a problem with Wi-Fi, nobody shows that they care, no short or long term plan to address the problem..... nobody cares, or so it seems. The CUE was a disaster....no effective communications of any type to show anyone cared, or what anyone was doing to address it.

Nobody know why the students are not coming. But I’d bet anything inability to access social media is not enhancing the Student Game Day Experience.

I want to check half time stats, can’t, and then the scoreboard has that stupid advertisement blocking the section for stats on both sides. I will NOT give business to that sponsor.

15 minutes before the National Anthem I’d guess 15% full paying customers
5 minutes before tip off maybe 40% in seats paying customers
After tip off many people still going to seats paying customers
4 minutes left in the game people are leaving - what does that say to the players - paying customers
Paying crowd was dull. Langevine several times waving his arms to try to bring the crowd back from the dead.

4. Engage Learfield
5. President and AD to have meeting with Long Term Season Ticket Holders, Short Term Season Ticket Holders and Students to ask first hand how to enhance Game Day Experiences

Some good thoughts. Although apathetic students are unlikely to fill out a survey. I think your point about the wifi is a good one though. Can we call it 'internet withdrawal'? Unless kids are willing to use up data, they must be showing symptoms of withdrawal. Have you seen any of them visibly shaking?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

15 minutes before the National Anthem I’d guess 15% full
5 minutes before tip off maybe 40% in seats
After tip off many people still going to seats
4 minutes left in the game people are leaving - what does that say to the players

4. Engage Learfield

Let me save everyone the time:

1) Sell. Beer. To. People. Of. Drinking. Age. And. Let. Them. Take. It. To. Their. Seats.
2) Put a functional WiFi network and Cellular repeater in the building.
3) instant replay
4) Stop coveting your "family friendly" no mean words to the opposing team bullshit. I feel like I've said the same 4 things over and over and over again for 2 decades. Security watching the student section like hawks. Ensuring that any type of college-aged fun is unacceptable for an arena built on a college campus for college athletic events.

The fact that the first 3 even need to be put into writing in the year of our Lord 2020 should show you how backwards we actually are. We're talking about a sports arena.

We don't value high level athletics here. The lack of a serious proposal to make basketball a priority at URI in the spring of 2017 drove that point home. Once an A10 title and NCAA birth/win didn't get our big donors to put a plan in place that invested in URI being a high-level program (practice facility, charter flights, better pay for assistants, etc) - that was the beginning of the end. The 2018 Hurley contract with those promises was too late. He was already going to UConn thanks to the lack of a real offer in 2017. It should have been clear in 2017 that we will never be a big time athletics program.

Our atmosphere is more sterilized and sanitized than any of your typical big name college programs. If you are a college kid and a sports fan, our environment isn't for you. It's been that way forever. There's been a lack of buzz around this program all year to be honest.

The game day atmosphere is trash game in and game out unless there is a big name or highly ranked opponent on the other bench. It always has been.

The last 2 games have been the dream scenario from all the decision makers that I believe a few of us have warned of for years on end.

Family friendly fun! Woo! Win or lose? Doesn't matter! Minute of mayhem! Polite crowd! Only a few students but we got all the families in there! Yay!!!!!

This is where we belong because this is where we invest to. Just enough to be competitive, not enough to get over the hump. Sports purgatory. What a life.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Let the students themselves tell it

Otherwise it’s just guessing from non students
One of the students came on here, noticed an old video where the students were behind the benches, said, wow that would be great if we could sit there again and was shouted down saying how it wasn't possible even though every single student pays $392 a year for the right to sit in the 100's. Instead of sitting them where they belong we continue to punt as many as possible upstairs and all students are in the worst seats in the house behind the baskets
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So why then did the St Joseph’s Game 12pm Saturday and the Saint Louis Game 2pm Sunday flop for Students?

Nothing changed from when Students Filled the place earlier in the season

Those answers should be coming from people whose job it is to fill the seats.

Change out some people.

Stop the guesswork.

But while getting the facts please fix the stinking Wi-Fi. Anybody knows that.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

4 minutes left in the game people are leaving - what does that say to the players

4. Engage Learfield

1) Sell. Beer. To. People. Of. Drinking. Age. And. Let. Them. Take. It. To. Their. Seats.
3) instant replay
4) Stop coveting your "family friendly" no mean words to the opposing team bullshit. I feel like I've said the same 4 things over and over and over again for 2 decades. Security watching the student section like hawks. Ensuring that any type of college-aged fun is unacceptable for an arena built on a college campus for college athletic events.

The fact that the first 3 even need to be put into writing in the year of our Lord 2020 should show you how backwards we actually are. We're talking about a sports arena.

We don't value high level athletics here. The lack of a serious proposal to make basketball a priority at URI in the spring of 2017 drove that point home. Once an A10 title and NCAA birth/win didn't get our big donors to put a plan in place that invested in URI being a high-level program (practice facility, charter flights, better pay for assistants, etc) - that was the beginning of the end. The 2018 Hurley contract with those promises was too late. He was already going to UConn thanks to the lack of a real offer in 2017. It should have been clear in 2017 that we will never be a big time athletics program.

Our atmosphere is more sterilized and sanitized than any of your typical big name college programs. If you are a college kid and a sports fan, our environment isn't for you. It's been that way forever. There's been a lack of buzz around this program all year to be honest.

The game day atmosphere is trash game in and game out unless there is a big name or highly ranked opponent on the other bench. It always has been.

The last 2 games have been the dream scenario from all the decision makers that I believe a few of us have warned of for years on end.

Family friendly fun! Woo! Win or lose? Doesn't matter! Minute of mayhem! Polite crowd! Only a few students but we got all the families in there! Yay!!!!!

This is where we belong because this is where we invest to. Just enough to be competitive, not enough to get over the hump. Sports purgatory. What a life.
All of this is very true. People are going to get mad at this next part, but it's also true:

It's a giant issue that the student section is "run" by a guy in his mid 30's who isn't a student. By refusing to let the students have even a modest level of control over their own section we've helped to create this beast. I saw people ask why wasn't the Ruckus going out getting more students. We don't even let them run their own student section, athletics took it over, so why should the students be doing the athletic departments jobs for them?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4. Engage Learfield

3) instant replay

All of this is very true. People are going to get mad at this next part, but it's also true:

It's a giant issue that the student section is "run" by a guy in his mid 30's who isn't a student. By refusing to let the students have even a modest level of control over their own section we've helped to create this beast. I saw people ask why wasn't the Ruckus going out getting more students. We don't even let them run their own student section, athletics took it over, so why should the students be doing the athletic departments jobs for them?
It’s easy to blame the students. The students will tell you why they are not showing up, what needs to done differently.
Just need to ask them.

It’s Management and Marketing 101.

May need to change the Management. Heavens :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So why then did the St Joseph’s Game 12pm Saturday and the Saint Louis Game 2pm Sunday flop for Students?

Change out some people.

Stop the guesswork.

You're right.

To be honest the weekend games don't draw because it's not an "event" for students, it's a project.

Ignoring even getting into the building, which if you have a lot of students forces a line longer than a football field, but once you're in the building? No beers. No mean words. Want to make plans for after the game? Good luck - no cell service.

Want to sneak some booze in? Pat-down time.

When you're in college you want to drink. It comes with the territory. What's more fun as a college kid: waking up and crushing bloodies at Mews where you can be loud and celebrate? Being able to be connected to your phone and friends? Or driving another 20 to campus to not drink and be told to behave by security guards? The games are on TV now, that's what the Ryan Center has to compete with.

Since we've already determined that we don't want to fully invest and commit to being a high level basketball school - college kids want to go to fun events.

The Ryan Center is built for fun if you're an old person or a 10 year old. Hell, we can't even do the jumbotron well. The camera guys don't know how to zoom in on 1 or 2 people like they do in every other arena around the country.

Anyone ever go to a PC game? It's a blast. Beers and a loud atmosphere. Replays. WiFi. Love them or hate them, if you took the PC gameday experience out of that crap building in Providence and put it in the Ryan Center it would be the best building for basketball in the country.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago So why then did the St Joseph’s Game 12pm Saturday and the Saint Louis Game 2pm Sunday flop for Students?

Change out some people.

Stop the guesswork.

You're right.

To be honest the weekend games don't draw because it's not an "event" for students, it's a project.

Ignoring even getting into the building, which if you have a lot of students forces a line longer than a football field, but once you're in the building? No beers. No mean words. Want to make plans for after the game? Good luck - no cell service.

Want to sneak some booze in? Pat-down time.

When you're in college you want to drink. It comes with the territory. What's more fun as a college kid: waking up and crushing bloodies at Mews where you can be loud and celebrate? Being able to be connected to your phone and friends? Or driving another 20 to campus to not drink and be told to behave by security guards? The games are on TV now, that's what the Ryan Center has to compete with.

Since we've already determined that we don't want to fully invest and commit to being a high level basketball school - college kids want to go to fun events.

The Ryan Center is built for fun if you're an old person or a 10 year old. Hell, we can't even do the jumbotron well. The camera guys don't know how to zoom in on 1 or 2 people like they do in every other arena around the country.

Anyone ever go to a PC game? It's a blast. Beers and a loud atmosphere. Replays. WiFi. Love them or hate them, if you took the PC gameday experience out of that crap building in Providence and put it in the Ryan Center it would be the best building for basketball in the country.
I don’t think anything changes unless the President and the AD shake things up. It’s boring at the Ryan Center. Time for some new blood in the Management.
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

4. Engage Learfield

3) instant replay

So I’m the reason the kids didn’t show up the past 2 games? Got it.

There’s been a lot of great suggestions in this thread, and a lot of ridiculous overreactions. We’ve had 2 games where the kids failed to show up. Otherwise this has been the best season in recent memory of Ruckus attendance & atmosphere.

Something is wrong and we need to find out what it is that caused them to not show the past 2 games and address and fix it moving forward. but I think some of you are seriously overreacting here. As far as “control” over the Ruckus goes, I stand in front and keep energy up & kick off chants. They are free to be creative and we’ve had multiple seasons where Ruckus leaders were elected and encouraged to develop new traditions/chants, no one is “controlling” or limiting their creativity or efforts.
8 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

3) instant replay

So I’m the reason the kids didn’t show up the past 2 games? Got it.

There’s been a lot of great suggestions in this thread, and a lot of ridiculous overreactions. We’ve had 2 games where the kids failed to show up. Otherwise this has been the best season in recent memory of Ruckus attendance & atmosphere.

Something is wrong and we need to find out what it is that caused them to not show the past 2 games and address and fix it moving forward. but I think some of you are seriously overreacting here. As far as “control” over the Ruckus goes, I stand in front and keep energy up & kick off chants. They are free to be creative and we’ve had multiple seasons where Ruckus leaders were elected and encouraged to develop new traditions/chants, no one is “controlling” or limiting their creativity or efforts.
You're not the reason students aren't showing up but while everyone is talking about issues with the student section, one of the issues is a non-student running the student section
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

4. Engage Learfield

3) instant replay

I misunderstood what you meant here. JV most certainly doesn’t “run” the section. That’s the wrong take.

If it wasn’t for JV the arena wouldn’t be CLOSE to as loud as it gets when it’s good. He’s the only person constantly breathing life into that place.

There are many problems with the Ryan Center on game day. JV is for sure not one of them. That’s an awful take to even insinuate. He’s a solution if anything.
7 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3) instant replay

I misunderstood what you meant here. JV most certainly doesn’t “run” the section. That’s the wrong take.

If it wasn’t for JV the arena wouldn’t be CLOSE to as loud as it gets when it’s good. He’s the only person constantly breathing life into that place.

There are many problems with the Ryan Center on game day. JV is for sure not one of them. That’s an awful take to even insinuate. He’s a solution if anything.
For sure BlueMan
JV is phenomenal!!!!
2 x
Rhody123
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody123 »

For what it's worth I love the energy and excitement EZBuckets creates. Over the years I've brought many guests to URI games and while they may not enjoy a Rhody loss, everyone seems to enjoy the venue, game day experience, and after game get together at one of the establishments that support Rhody athletics.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I’m a sophomore right now living on campus (you probably already know lol)

JV. Maybe the AD can put out a survey asking what the reason was that they didn’t show up for the last 2 games. I know for sure it wasn’t because of “advertising” or “who we were playing” because we’ve had great student crowds up until the UMass one during greek week.

Something needs to be done. Students not showing up on a Sunday at 2 PM is a really really bad sign. Either my generation is quick to jump the boat for a team that has lost 1 home game (before yesterday) or they only care about “big games”. I’ve said this many times. Other colleges who aren’t nearly as good as ours are able to fill their student sections. I’m tired of excuses for midterms and frat/sorority events. Something needs to be done and I think a survey is the best way to get data on why they didn’t show for the last 2 games.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......does the campus empty out of the RI students that go home on weekends, like many, many years ago? Wonder what % that stay on campus.....?
Last edited by section(105) 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Let me get this straight. It is NOT JV, Rhody ruckus, or Marketing’s fault for students not showing up. Without JV the students would be sitting and not chanting

What the athletic department needs to do is FIND OUT why students aren’t coming. Get to the core of the problem instead of blaming people that already do enough to market the team and encourage students to show up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is the way I saw it. Russell did not really have a clear shot at the basket, got airp-borne and jumped into the defender. He was trying to draw the foul. I thought a good no call by the Ref. He cannot jump forward and into the defender.
When Russell is off on his shot you can tell early in the game you could see it yesterday. He was trying to draw a fouls that wasn’t there. Could have been offensive but the no call is reasonable.
By the way, he spends a lot of time complaining to Refs and looking to the URI bench about calls he doesn’t get.

Davidson put Grady on him, Saint Louis put Yuri Collins and then Jordan Goodwin in the 2nd half - these 3 players played tight defense on Russell all game
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

For anyone who thinks Blue Man didn't hit it on the head, re-examine your view of big time college basketball.
Most students still live off campus because URI has made a concerted effort over the decades prior to Dooley to have more students live off campus. So now, I live in a house with say 4 other people, I live surrounded by houses with 4 or more kids. Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media. Weekday games there is not much else going on so let make it out for that.
NOW the question is- what comes first, investing in the program so students can saw "screw all the reasons for not going, I wanna be in the building cause this team is fun to watch". OR do you build a fun environment so students want to be there because they're having fun and then that leads to better environment for players/recruits/fans which then builds the program.

Either way they need to do something different, because this feeling today is the same as it felt 10+ years ago when I was there during the Baron years.
3 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Why would Greek Week be a reason for not going to a game? They should have made it a GREEK week event to go to the game. But that goes back to my previous post and Blue Man's thought process that the University doesn't want to embrace "that kind of student".
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Remember there are now 6000 students living on campus. Even half went home on weekend, surely 1500 of the remaining could find 2 hours in their schedule and find their way to the Ryan. Is that asking too much.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago For anyone who thinks Blue Man didn't hit it on the head, re-examine your view of big time college basketball.
Most students still live off campus because URI has made a concerted effort over the decades prior to Dooley to have more students live off campus. So now, I live in a house with say 4 other people, I live surrounded by houses with 4 or more kids. Are we going to drive 20 minutes back to campus to sit in the ryan center with no social media, no alcohol, to stand around the same people I would watch from the couch drinking, eating, talking, searching social media. Weekday games there is not much else going on so let make it out for that.
NOW the question is- what comes first, investing in the program so students can saw "screw all the reasons for not going, I wanna be in the building cause this team is fun to watch". OR do you build a fun environment so students want to be there because they're having fun and then that leads to better environment for players/recruits/fans which then builds the program.

Either way they need to do something different, because this feeling today is the same as it felt 10+ years ago when I was there during the Baron years.
Fix the Wi-Fi
Inexcusable
Bring in new management that can identify issues and fix them
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That is the way I saw it. Russell did not really have a clear shot at the basket, got airp-borne and jumped into the defender. He was trying to draw the foul. I thought a good no call by the Ref. He cannot jump forward and into the defender.
When Russell is off on his shot you can tell early in the game you could see it yesterday. He was trying to draw a fouls that wasn’t there. Could have been offensive but the no call is reasonable.
By the way, he spends a lot of time complaining to Refs and looking to the URI bench about calls he doesn’t get.

Davidson put Grady on him, Saint Louis put Yuri Collins and then Jordan Goodwin in the 2nd half - these 3 players played tight defense on Russell all game
I agree with the non call and I find many times the refs fall for it. The problem I had was 10 seconds later they called Walker for a foul when he cleanly blocked the shot.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I went back and read all 23 pages on the St Louis Game Day Thread

Always interesting to read the opposite ents view of the officiating and their views on the opponents players/coaches.

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.p ... me-1-of-3/
0 x