Students

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Students

Unread post by Blue Man »

Not for nothing - alcohol sales in the seats.

I don’t have the fire to fight about it today but I’m right and anyone who says that doesn’t factor in is wrong.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I just replied in the game thread but I’ll chime in here quick:

The lack of students was not due to lack of awareness or marketing. Game was advertised all over social media, flyers, emails, marketing texts, ads in the dining halls, and marketing went and hung door flyers late last week on dorm doors etc.

Everyone is dumbfounded, including me - especially since we’ve had a great turnout for every non-break game this season. The last 2 games have been awful but let’s not act like this has been an issue all season. I just don’t understand.
4 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Not to make excuses for why URI lost yesterday but with the way this team feeds off of the crowd it's not too far fetched to think that the students cost us the game yesterday. The team was flat from the tip resulting in an 11-0 deficit which wouldn't have happened if we had a packed student section similar to PC, VCU, and Bama.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago I just replied in the game thread but I’ll chime in here quick:

The lack of students was not due to lack of awareness or marketing. Game was advertised all over social media, flyers, emails, marketing texts, ads in the dining halls, and marketing went and hung door flyers late last week on dorm doors etc.

Everyone is dumbfounded, including me - especially since we’ve had a great turnout for every non-break game this season. The last 2 games have been awful but let’s not act like this has been an issue all season. I just don’t understand.
See this is what bothers me. The students have been great all season up until the St Joe's game. Even for the midweek games against Nicholls state and Duquesne they showed up. I don't get it. The games where they needed 1500 cheering and standing are the ones they didn't show up for.

Sad and pathetic.
2 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago As I said in another thread. No t-shirt? No cheese steak? No thanks.
Were you at the Duquesne or the Nicholls State game? Both of those the students were awesome. No giveaways for either one. Not sure what you're getting at. The students don't care anymore. It's like a chore for most kids to go support their basketball team
Wrong about Duquesne game. There was a t-shirt give away for Duquesne bc of Coaches vs. Cancer
https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0121mgpuko
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

GansettSummer wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago As I said in another thread. No t-shirt? No cheese steak? No thanks.
Were you at the Duquesne or the Nicholls State game? Both of those the students were awesome. No giveaways for either one. Not sure what you're getting at. The students don't care anymore. It's like a chore for most kids to go support their basketball team
Wrong about Duquesne game. There was a t-shirt give away for Duquesne bc of Coaches vs. Cancer
https://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 0121mgpuko
Guess I just forgot.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There should be a GIANT #3 on the f'ing quad this week. If they Don't show up to Dayton then something somebody's gotta get a fired.
1 x
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

EZ (or anyone else)

have you spoken to thorr about this ?

we got a problem

we really need to address this starting now

start a committee and out blue man on it and 916, etc and get this resolved
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago EZ (or anyone else)

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

Honestly, it's taken myself and everyone by complete surprise. I know everyone is all fired up about this topic and it's been compounded by our loss, but this has totally came out of left field. As I said before, this season has been UNBELIEVABLE with student support up until these last 2 games. I honestly think it was our best in any recent memory (even with Hurley's best teams, we still struggled with Ruckus support outside of the big games.)

It's just mind boggling. I'm just an auxillary, part time staff member, but I can assure you conversations are being had by Marketing/Athletics to determine what's gone wrong these past two games and to address it to ensure it doesn't happen again next year.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

Honestly, it's taken myself and everyone by complete surprise. I know everyone is all fired up about this topic and it's been compounded by our loss, but this has totally came out of left field. As I said before, this season has been UNBELIEVABLE with student support up until these last 2 games. I honestly think it was our best in any recent memory (even with Hurley's best teams, we still struggled with Ruckus support outside of the big games.)

It's just mind boggling. I'm just an auxillary, part time staff member, but I can assure you conversations are being had by Marketing/Athletics to determine what's gone wrong these past two games and to address it to ensure it doesn't happen again next year.
Booze. WiFi. Replays. Fun.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

Or again this year

I just had the feeling it was coming for the Saint Louis game
Many people look bored with the team, with everything

I’m a bit surprised everyone is so surprised

Many of us keep complaining about no replays, little or no Wi-Fi, quality of food, Price of good comes nowhere near the so-so quality, etc.

Game experience has lots of upside potential

And nice to hear conversations are being had, but until the Marketing/Athletics Department talks directly to their bosses little will change ( by bosses I mean their customers - the fans. A novel approach for URI Athletic Department.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

Booze. WiFi. Replays. Fun.
Easy solution...agreed
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The pretzels are stale af.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

That VCU crowd was amazing. From a student’s perspective that was easily the best the ruckus has been all year. I hope it’s rocking on Wednesday.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

we got a problem

Hey ECM,

its disheartening for me because i used to go to jsut about every game back in the day

i am sure you feel 100x worse

like you said - its compounded by the loss -

but - as a proud alumni - it brings me great pride when i see you do your thing in front of a packed student section

i just feel sad - team deserves more

i will tighten my laces tho and be rooting for a different outcome on Wednesday
3 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

Can’t blame the students tonight...
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

That was by far the best Ruckus crowd in the history of the Ryan Center. Too bad that after 8 minutes the game was over.

Maybe we should schedule all our games at 9 PM.
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago That was by far the best Ruckus crowd in the history of the Ryan Center. Too bad that after 8 minutes the game was over.

I don’t think the 9:00 start had anything to do with the turn out, more likely Dayton having that #3 rank is what did it. Let’s be real
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago That was by far the best Ruckus crowd in the history of the Ryan Center. Too bad that after 8 minutes the game was over.

Kids were AMAZING last night but I humbly disagree. Best Ruckus ever was the Nebraska game. Both sides of the arena were packed with students and rabid. Last night was close, but it was absolutely insane that night.
5 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Nebraska wasnt up 16 at the half. if this game had been close there wouldnt have been a roof left on the Ryan Center
2 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

It really sucks that URI didn't show up yesterday. The students were amazing and the "Swag surfin" before tip off was great
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We fill the place and then don’t take advantage of the opportunity to encourage their return.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago We fill the place and then don’t take advantage of the opportunity to encourage their return.
This should be the official Ryan Center motto at this point. I’d say they should print it on the side of the building, but we probably couldn’t find a way to pay for it.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago We fill the place and then don’t take advantage of the opportunity to encourage their return.
This should be the official Ryan Center motto at this point. I’d say they should print it on the side of the building, but we probably couldn’t find a way to pay for it.
Yeah Tom Ryan would wait until after the sign printers were leaving to offer to put the infrastructure in place to mount it.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I have to say JV, that was pretty cool with the students doing that rock back and forth thing. I’ve been waiting for the student section to do something different for a long time. Keep that for the future.
2 x
GO RAMS
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Kids were AMAZING last night but I humbly disagree. Best Ruckus ever was the Nebraska game. Both sides of the arena were packed with students and rabid. Last night was close, but it was absolutely insane that night.
That Nebraska game by far is one of my best RC memories.

Cream the Corn!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Kids were AMAZING last night but I humbly disagree. Best Ruckus ever was the Nebraska game. Both sides of the arena were packed with students and rabid. Last night was close, but it was absolutely insane that night.
Nebraska game:
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

So they moved students out of 100 level at opposite end and put them in 300 level because for most games one end was always empty.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Kids were AMAZING last night but I humbly disagree. Best Ruckus ever was the Nebraska game. Both sides of the arena were packed with students and rabid. Last night was close, but it was absolutely insane that night.
Nebraska game:

that was a GREAT NIGHT
1 x