Students

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Students

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I know there are a few students in this forum. I have one question. What the hell is going on???
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Students

Unread post by RF1 »

I am thinking that URI has to consider changing the practice of reserving 1,500 tickets close to game time for them. They have shown that they cannot always be counted on to show up. May need to institute a policy that students must get tickets a few days in advance and if they are not scooped up by a certain deadline, they are put up for sale to the general public. Potential revenue was lost today and the last home game versus St Joe's as public demand was high and seats were left for open students who did not show up. The student numbers were pathetic today and the last home game two weeks ago.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I really don't get it. Must be frustrating for the players to not get consistent student support. And it makes such a big difference to have a loud, packed student section. Very frustrating as as long-time fan.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I know there are a few students in this forum. I have one question. What the hell is going on???
Casual fans usually don't care about unexciting games. As die hards we know the importance of today's game but a casual fan has no desire to get out and see us play Saint louis. So, I think that the school should give much more incentives to go to games. As simple as first X number of students get a free t shirt. In my experiences, believe it or not, I've heard casual fans getting excited for a game just to get free shit.

Another solvable problem is lack of awareness. I bet that most students didn't even know we had a game today. We need to do a lot more advertising for games. I feel like I'm hard pressed to find basketball signs on campus. There needs to be signs up EVERYWHERE telling students to show up.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I feel like I heard a lot more about on-campus game marketing when Hurley was here. Don't hear anything about it this year.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Enough w the excuses

They suck

Period stop
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I guess I will jump in as a sophomore living on campus right now:

So I think there are a bunch of great student fans that show up no matter how good/bad the team is doing or who they are playing. To not fill up the student section for 2 straight games is absolutely fucking pathetic. You can make up all the excuses in the world (it was too cold, I was hungover, I slept in, they're playing a bad team). Doesn't matter. Other teams that have a record a lot worse than 20-8 are packing their student sections week after week.

My thoughts on why students aren't showing up? Just a self-centered mindset. I know for sure that there are 1500+ people living on campus who like college basketball. I also know that they showed up for the VCU, PC and Alabama games. Today's game was on a SUNDAY at 2:00 PM. Plenty of time to wake up, get lunch, and walk your ass 5 minutes down the hill to the Ryan Center.

I actually like your idea RF1. They should stop reserving 1500 tickets for students if they aren't going to support the team when they seriously need the 6th man or the "ruckus". I have obviously given up on the idea, but I'm surprised they didn't do a ticket lottery for the Dayton game. For the PC game they gave out points for each game before it and then picked 1500 students that way. I think a lottery would've been the fairest way to reward the better fans with more "points".

The Ruckus, Barstool Rhody, and JV encourage fans all the time to head to the Ryan center to support the team. There is even a big cutout of Cyril in Hope dining hall that says to go to the game.

Overall I was extremely disappointed in the students for the last 2 games. It's incredibly disrespectful to the players, JV, coach, and everyone who works their asses off to give us a good product on the court. I am aware that the team has had some close games with o.k. teams but that doesn't mean you can't take 2 HOURS out of a Sunday to cheer on your top 50 college basketball team.

Also another note about the excuse of "students didn't know there was a game today". If you gave a shit about the team maybe you can use your brain, give up checking snapchat for a minute and look up URI basketball's schedule instead of fucking complaining that there aren't signs on campus. Once again it's this self-centered mindset. They want the work done for them so they make up shitty excuses to not walk 5 minutes down the road.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URI'21 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I know there are a few students in this forum. I have one question. What the hell is going on???
Casual fans usually don't care about unexciting games. As die hards we know the importance of today's game but a casual fan has no desire to get out and see us play Saint louis. So, I think that the school should give much more incentives to go to games. As simple as first X number of students get a free t shirt. In my experiences, believe it or not, I've heard casual fans getting excited for a game just to get free shit.

Another solvable problem is lack of awareness. I bet that most students didn't even know we had a game today. We need to do a lot more advertising for games. I feel like I'm hard pressed to find basketball signs on campus. There needs to be signs up EVERYWHERE telling students to show up.
That's pretty sad that students feel they need to get free shit to support their team. All about me I guess.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago

That's pretty sad that students feel they need to get free shit to support their team. All about me I guess.
Lol that's just blatantly not true. Students showed up for the Duquesne game and there wasn't a single giveaway.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

Lol that's just blatantly not true. Students showed up for the Duquesne game and there wasn't a single giveaway.
Was that Greek night?
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Making it even worse is the fact that an additional 500 students now live directly across the street as of just a few weeks ago. The living on campus student population has never been higher.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

Was that Greek night?
UMass was greek night.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

As I said in another thread. No t-shirt? No cheese steak? No thanks.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago As I said in another thread. No t-shirt? No cheese steak? No thanks.
No kidding. Pathetic.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago As I said in another thread. No t-shirt? No cheese steak? No thanks.
Were you at the Duquesne or the Nicholls State game? Both of those the students were awesome. No giveaways for either one. Not sure what you're getting at. The students don't care anymore. It's like a chore for most kids to go support their basketball team
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

We were on a 4 game win streak including the win @VCU. Duquesne was undefeated and receiving votes for the top 25. Excitement/buzz also gets butts in seats and that game had plenty of it. No giveaways needed
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Were you at the Duquesne or the Nicholls State game? Both of those the students were awesome. No giveaways for either one. Not sure what you're getting at. The students don't care anymore. It's like a chore for most kids to go support their basketball team
So the interest was there for Nicholls State but not St. Louis? I don't quite understand. Please explain.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

We were on a 4 game win streak including the win @VCU. Duquesne was undefeated and receiving votes for the top 25. Excitement/buzz also gets butts in seats and that game had plenty of it. No giveaways needed
:lol: :lol: all I hear are excuses... Next please
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

So the interest was there for Nicholls State but not St. Louis? I don't quite understand. Please explain.
I'm saying your point about students not going unless there is a giveaway is just not true at all. There is no interest anymore. URI won 10 in a row before the St Joe's game. It was the smallest student crowd I've ever seen while being here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

One word for student attendance. PATHETIC. Absolutely disgraceful. No other words for it. None.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

As a student and a die hard fan I can agree a lot of students weren’t aware (yes most of them could’ve looked up there was a game) but the social media accounts were advertising the Dayton game up more, the only true posts I saw about this game were about getting sun glasses if you were the first couple of hundred to get there, but there does need to be more promotion like example for the Alabama game they hyped the dear living shit by posting signs and posters all around campus for that game and they need to for almost every game for a full force student sellout
Last edited by Dino611 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There has been great student support at a few games this year. Their numbers however without a doubt have been really disappointing at the last two home games. I have come to the realization that they have shown that they cannot always been relied on to come out and support the team in large numbers. That is why I think the policy of holding in reserve a 1,500 seat allotment close to game time needs to be re-examined.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

You're preaching to the choir. I'm in the bottom student section every game I can. My point is that in order to get students to show up for unexciting games the university should do more. For example, better advertising and providing student incentives. I know that you just want the RC magically packed every day but the reality is that Rhody has struggled with crowds for years and until we are consistently a good team the school needs to do more to get people there.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm saying your point about students not going unless there is a giveaway is just not true at all. There is no interest anymore. URI won 10 in a row before the St Joe's game. It was the smallest student crowd I've ever seen while being here.
Ok then. Please explain why there is "no interest anymore ". Going into today , a 2nd place team with a great chance to go to the tourney. That's not enough, I guess. So, what is?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago As a student and a die hard fan I can agree a lot of students weren’t aware (yes most of them could’ve looked up there was a game) but the social media accounts were advertising the Dayton game up more, the only true posts I saw about this game were about getting sun glasses if you were the first couple of hundred to get there, but there does need to be more promotion like example for the Alabama game they hyped the dear living shit by posting signs and posters all around campus for that game and they need to for almost every game for a full force student sellout
They did post a video on instagram about the game but I don't know if you saw but they also sent an email out at 11:22 AM today encouraging people to come...

Obviously no excuse but weird to send an email out the morning the day of the game.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago One word for student attendance. PATHETIC. Absolutely disgraceful. No other words for it. None.
Don’t worry. I hear they have been resting up for the Big game on Wednesday and will come out in numbers. This was one of the games they circled that they heard was a highly ranked opponent.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Somebody help me on the student allocation- is it a max of 1,500 student tickets? And they have up until game time to decide if they want to go?

Something does not make sense if we really had 7,000 and only 300 students. Am I understanding it correctly.?
0 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Enough w the excuses

They suck

Period stop
I think I'm wasting my time posting in this thread. Do we want to discuss solutions to student attendance or do you just want to whine that they suck and call it a day?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

You're preaching to the choir. I'm in the bottom student section every game I can. My point is that in order to get students to show up for unexciting games the university should do more. For example, better advertising and providing student incentives. I know that you just want the RC magically packed every day but the reality is that Rhody has struggled with crowds for years and until we are consistently a good team the school needs to do more to get people there.
I mean they can do more t-shirt giveaways, but I don't think that is enough. They need to advertise the team better instead of just telling students to come and bring the ruckus. What I mean is they should be using our overall record and A10 record as a way to bring them in. They could also advertise in the Union where people are constantly walking through.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Solution: We do have a group of students called 'The Ruckus '. Am I correct? GO AROUND CAMPUS AND PROMOTE THE TEAM AND THE GAMES!!!
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dino611 wrote: 4 years ago As a student and a die hard fan I can agree a lot of students weren’t aware (yes most of them could’ve looked up there was a game) but the social media accounts were advertising the Dayton game up more, the only true posts I saw about this game were about getting sun glasses if you were the first couple of hundred to get there, but there does need to be more promotion like example for the Alabama game they hyped the dear living shit by posting signs and posters all around campus for that game and they need to for almost every game for a full force student sellout
So tell me, URI has been mentioned in every sports media all year. ESPN, CBS, NBC, FOX, USATODAY etc, etc. Do students not read the news anymore? I'm guessing not. Unless it is force fed like baby food into their mouths, they don't know about it. PA-FUCKING-THETIC. Good night.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ok then. Please explain why there is "no interest anymore ". Going into today , a 2nd place team with a great chance to go to the tourney. That's not enough, I guess. So, what is?
Dude I'm agreeing with you. I don't understand it. URI has had a great season despite some tough losses. We were receiving votes like 3 weeks in a row and just dropped down to a bubble team after the Fordham win.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I mean they can do more t-shirt giveaways, but I don't think that is enough. They need to advertise the team better instead of just telling students to come and bring the ruckus. What I mean is they should be using our overall record and A10 record as a way to bring them in. They could also advertise in the Union where people are constantly walking through.
And isn't it simple to put up flyers in The Union, in dining halls, in dorms? Why isn't it being done? The students in The Ruckus could easily do that.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

And isn't it simple to put up flyers in The Union, in dining halls, in dorms? Why isn't it being done? The students in The Ruckus could easily do that.
:D I completely agree with you.

See, I'm not really sure what the Ruckus does. All I do as a student is pay $20 a year to get early access into games and a t-shirt.

They SHOULD be posting signs all over the place. In dorms, all dining halls, food court, union, gym, library. I think the issue of students not showing up involves a few things including just being lazy and fairweather fans, but I agree that the Ruckus really could do a better job hyping up games.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

See, I'm not really sure what the Ruckus does. All I do as a student is pay $20 a year to get early access into games and a t-shirt.

They SHOULD be posting signs all over the place. In dorms, all dining halls, food court, union, gym, library. I think the issue of students not showing up involves a few things including just being lazy and fairweather fans, but I agree that the Ruckus really could do a better job hyping up games.
Any idea about how many kids are in The Ruckus?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I want to give a shoutout to the kid in the Mets hat who looks like Jacob degrom. He’s always there. Thank you. :)
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I am not sure about the number. When I refer to the "ruckus" not hyping up the games enough I'm talking about the people who work for them. It seems so weird that they rely on cardboard cutouts of players and an email (the morning of the game) to inform the fans that don't want to look up the time themselves.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

My nephew is a freshman this year & he joined it. He wants to go to UMass for last game & a10 tourney & there hasn’t been any notice if bus trips or deals for students that he has seen. He doesn’t know what the bonus of being in the ruckus is. From an outsider it seems they need to better promote & clearly state what the bonus of being in the ruckus is.
Last edited by spookydog 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

You know... I saw a post from Barstool Rhody on twitter saying this

"Why is nobody here... On the bubble for the NCAA tournament, home game against another 20-win team. What the fuck am I missing?"

First of all, the crowd outside of the student section was great. Second of all there is no explanation for the student college basketball fans to not show up. I know I have suggested advertising the game more, but in reality if the kids wanted to do maybe ONE MINUTE of research they could've. They have time to check snapchat every 5 seconds but will lie that they didn't know when the game was. BULL FUCKING SHIT
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago Somebody help me on the student allocation- is it a max of 1,500 student tickets? And they have up until game time to decide if they want to go?

Something does not make sense if we really had 7,000 and only 300 students. Am I understanding it correctly.?
The normal policy if I am correct is to reserve 1,500 seats right up to game time while school is in session. The game versus St Joe's however showed the folly (when there is public demand) of making this a hard and fast rule. It appears that the ticket office accurately anticipated a poor student showing and started to sell some of the student tickets in the last few days. It looked to me that the student sections in the balcony were mostly the general public. I would expect that nearly all of the empty seats were entirely attributed to the reduced number of tickets reserved for students.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
McRam wrote: 4 years ago Somebody help me on the student allocation- is it a max of 1,500 student tickets? And they have up until game time to decide if they want to go?

The normal policy if I am correct is to reserve 1,500 seats right up to game time while school is in session. The game versus St Joe's however showed the folly (when there is public demand) of making this a hard and fast rule. It appears that the ticket office accurately anticipated a poor student showing and started to sell some of the student tickets in the last few days. It looked to me that the student sections in the balcony were mostly the general public. I would expect that nearly all of the empty seats were entirely attributed to the reduced number of tickets reserved for students.
Thanks RF1 do I understand that it means that the max number of student tickets is 1500 and the other 6200 are available for anyone.?

From what you said about the St.Joseph's game, is it possible, that the student tickets were pulled back and put in the general pot and student tickets were not available at some point?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

From what you say about the St.Joseph game, can we find out if the student tickets for this game were pulled back also and more students really wanted to go but couldn't???
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

McRam wrote: 4 years ago From what you say about the St.Joseph game, can we find out if the student tickets for this game were pulled back also and more students really wanted to go but couldn't???
I think JV would know. I am pretty sure for the St Joe's game they had the entire 1500 reserved. For the game today I wouldn't be surprised if they said "fuck it" and opened those seats to the general public. I mean that St Joe's student crowd was just abysmal.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’ll be 36 at the end of the month. I look younger than my age, but I probably can’t pass for 22 anymore 😂. If you need me next season in the Ruckus I’ll gladly help out.

What a pathetic showing today by the students. As grown adults I’m sure we all wish our only concern was a freaking hangover for not coming today that I’m sure all these kids had. If they balk on Wednesday against a top 5 team... that’s a disrespect to our 3 seniors, the team, and everyone else who has been there this season.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

:arrow:
McRam wrote: 4 years ago

Thanks RF1 do I understand that it means that the max number of student tickets is 1500 and the other 6200 are available for anyone.?

From what you said about the St.Joseph's game, is it possible, that the student tickets were pulled back and put in the general pot and student tickets were not available at some point?

I highly doubt that any students that wanted to go were refused. I did not see a lot of students lining up to get in 30 minutes before game time. I think the likeliest explantation was that the number of tickets reserved for students, very possibly not the typical 1,500, was not fully used.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago :arrow:
McRam wrote: 4 years ago

I highly doubt that any students that wanted to go were refused. I did not see a lot of students lining up to get in 30 minutes before game time. I think the likeliest explantation was that the number of tickets reserved for students, very possibly not the typical 1,500, was not fully used.
I'm pretty sure that's where they put walk ins. Into the student section 200s and 300s.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I always get to the doors before they open. For the PC game, the students were lined out to and up the street. Yesterday, I counted the students in line right before the doors opened.......10 STUDENTS!!!.......10!!!!!..... Student tickets were not held back. They just didn't show up.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

my first step would be give Rhodyrams916 a job to figure this out and get more students there.

916 - than you for your passion and support !

YOU GET IT.
4 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago my first step would be give Rhodyrams916 a job to figure this out and get more students there.

916 - than you for your passion and support !

YOU GET IT.
Yes. He’s an outstanding example of what a student fan is.
2 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I always get to the doors before they open. For the PC game, the students were lined out to and up the street. Yesterday, I counted the students in line right before the doors opened.......10 STUDENTS!!!.......10!!!!!..... Student tickets were not held back. They just didn't show up.
I knew there was a problem even before I walked in. The line to get through security was huge about 20 minutes before the tip, so the guy in charge said we have two more lines wide open where the students come in but you must have your ticket to get in that way. Walked over and got right in.

SAD SAD SAD! I pray someday this program gets to the point where the place can sell out without them and URI makes the decision to put aside about 250 per game.

There are some good ones and they should give them priority based on games attended. Screw the rest of them.
3 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano