3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 3/1 | Saint Louis | 2:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Whatever the case may be, I’m just not going to succumb to the glory holes of misery after every abysmal performance. I’m from the school of, it ain’t over until it’s over. Don’t confuse it with me not being pissed. I screamed through a few pillows today so that I wouldn’t continue to scar my kids, permanently.

Firing the coach isn’t the answer. Crying about it won’t fix it either. The only thing we can do, as fans, is show up, or not...and the kids and staff have to do better on ALL FRONTS.
4 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Gonna have to go ahead and call bullshit on this one. I get that the spin machine has to run 24/7 for you, but its a 2nd year head coach who inherited a team coming off back to back tourney appearances and three of the best players in the conference, and its looking like we could miss the tournament again. I don't think many teams would kill to have that scenario at all. I'm not saying the guy needs to get canned or anything, but Cox has underachieved so far and I don't think that's really even debatable at this point anymore.

And then what happened?
I have to call bullshit as well. He didn’t inherit the same team. He lost 5-6 of those tournament guys. Right? Therefore, it’s not the same team, right? The only one is Jeff. I’d take any of the other 5-6 over what we currently have. And that’s no slight, that’s just being real.

20 wins is underachieving, when hardly ANYONE expected it?! Really?!

I’ll wait.

However, I’ll eat the crow for the Wichita St game. That turnaround was impressive.
Poor choice of words on my part I guess, but by "team" I clearly meant he inherited a program coming off back to back tourney appearances, not the same players. And what do you mean he lost 5 of 6 tournament guys and the only one is Jeff? Cyril played on both of those tournament teams and Fatts played on one. Those are the three of the best players in conference I am referring to.
Neither of them were key cogs to those teams, throughout the season. They were reserves who played vital roles, (i.e. Fatts vs Young), but they didn’t dictate that teams incredible run. In my opinion.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago Today's game was very frustrating to watch. Once it became evident that they were going to allow physical play in the paint it was obvious that we were screwed. St. Louis double teamed so many times at the right moment to blow up our offensive sets and also double teamed every time (until it became a triple team) down low and we had no adjustment to make them pay.
Agree with this - there could have been 30+ Fouls on each team for the game. We didnt adjust well enough - did you see the FT that French took?? Awful and he had a number of easy buckets.

So disappointed - we had a ticket and let it slip away.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago There is a shit ton of teams that would kill to have a 2nd year head coach produce a 20 win season. We are still top 3 in the conference with a fighting chance still. A chance at 21, 22, 23, 24 or 25 wins.
Gonna have to go ahead and call bullshit on this one. I get that the spin machine has to run 24/7 for you, but its a 2nd year head coach who inherited a team coming off back to back tourney appearances and three of the best players in the conference, and its looking like we could miss the tournament again. I don't think many teams would kill to have that scenario at all. I'm not saying the guy needs to get canned or anything, but Cox has underachieved so far and I don't think that's really even debatable at this point anymore.
Case in point, I’m watching Wichita St get destroyed by SMU right now. I am not comparing us in any way to either team, but it’s safe to say, if these two teams played again tomorrow, the result would be different.
And then what happened?
I have to call bullshit as well. He didn’t inherit the same team. He lost 5-6 of those tournament guys. Right? Therefore, it’s not the same team, right? The only one is Jeff. I’d take any of the other 5-6 over what we currently have. And that’s no slight, that’s just being real.

I’ll wait.

However, I’ll eat the crow for the Wichita St game. That turnaround was impressive.
Not sure what you are referring to about the 20 wins. I and some others were expecting to dance last year. I and about 99% of everyone else expected to dance this year. If the team doesn't dance it's a failure on this year plain and simple.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

And then what happened?

I’ll wait.

Not sure what you are referring to about the 20 wins. I and some others were expecting to dance last year. I and about 99% of everyone else expected to dance this year. If the team doesn't dance it's a failure on this year plain and simple.
Go look at the prediction thread. How many predicted that we would be where we are?

The season is not over either. How are fans giving up and they aren’t even the ones that play. Should the kids go ahead and forfeit the next 2-3 games?
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

URI'21 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's a night game vs a top 5 team. Stop being emotional and use your brain.
Sure! The games before this were as or more important than that one. Were the students resting up for Wednesday’s big game?? This isn’t the NBA where a team is out of the playoffs and the Lakers come to town so everyone wants to see that team. Do they pick and choose what games they like to attend. Bottom line the students sucked the last two games. How could anyone say anything different
You just completely changed the premise of our discussion. I'm not saying that the students haven't sucked the last two games. I'm saying that a home game vs a top 3 team is going to get people to go. That's not even a hot take, obviously the student section is going to be PACKED on Wednesday. For the VCU game students were turned away. Think about what it's gonna be like for #3 Dayton.
Let me ask you since there is a whole thread on it. Do they just decide to go to a couple games where they think the teams are better? Obviously it is going to be packed is not so obvious with how they have turned out the last two WEEKEND games. I’m not sure why they would be that excited for this one since it is very unlikely they make the tournament now.
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I’ll wait.

Poor choice of words on my part I guess, but by "team" I clearly meant he inherited a program coming off back to back tourney appearances, not the same players. And what do you mean he lost 5 of 6 tournament guys and the only one is Jeff? Cyril played on both of those tournament teams and Fatts played on one. Those are the three of the best players in conference I am referring to.
Neither of them were key cogs to those teams, throughout the season. They were reserves who played vital roles, (i.e. Fatts vs Young), but they didn’t dictate that teams incredible run. In my opinion.
Of course they didn't dictate the run, they were freshman and sophomores. And by the time they were seniors we still should have been good enough to make the tournament.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Adam, you’re entitled to feel how you feel bro. I respect it, however, I will Not subscribe to it.

Let’s go Rhody!
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Today was the worst performance I’ve seen by them live in a long, long time. The scoreboard didn’t do the game justice at all. They were totally outplayed. Totally outcoached. I’m not a big Travis Ford fan but he coached circles around Cox today. St. Louis literally ran basically the same play the entire game. And URI didn’t seem to make a single adjustment. The effort on rebounding was, to be nice, below average. The term boxing out must have escaped the game plan.

How many times can one guy get triple teamed and not even look to pass?

And I’m trying to be kind to Fatts Russell but it seems like he may be reading his press clips a bit. Instead of trying to force impossible shots and stare at the refs when they don’t call a foul, how about trying to get others involved? For those who weren’t at the game, there was a sequence where he tried to force a 3 to draw a foul, it wasn’t called and he just stopped and stared at the refs instead of getting back on D.

Just a really disappointing, inexcusable effort by a team and coaching staff who should be better than that.
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

Sure! The games before this were as or more important than that one. Were the students resting up for Wednesday’s big game?? This isn’t the NBA where a team is out of the playoffs and the Lakers come to town so everyone wants to see that team. Do they pick and choose what games they like to attend. Bottom line the students sucked the last two games. How could anyone say anything different
You just completely changed the premise of our discussion. I'm not saying that the students haven't sucked the last two games. I'm saying that a home game vs a top 3 team is going to get people to go. That's not even a hot take, obviously the student section is going to be PACKED on Wednesday. For the VCU game students were turned away. Think about what it's gonna be like for #3 Dayton.
Let me ask you since there is a whole thread on it. Do they just decide to go to a couple games where they think the teams are better? Obviously it is going to be packed is not so obvious with how they have turned out the last two WEEKEND games. I’m not sure why they would be that excited for this one since it is very unlikely they make the tournament now.
Because we'll be playing......................... #3 Dayton................ on senior night................... and its our last chance for an at large bid...........

Any more questions?
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The students don’t care about them getting an at large bid. If they did there would have been a greater turnout today.
6 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Because we'll be playing......................... #3 Dayton................ on senior night................... and its our last chance for an at large bid...........

Any more questions?
They aren’t getting an at large bid. Yes-where were the students the last two games? Beating number 3 is useless if we don’t make the tournament. They obviously could care less about the seniors. They haven’t been supporting them
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
mjg13x
Jeff Kent

Unread post by mjg13x »

I've decided that I'm fine with whatever happens in the next week and a half. If we beat #3 Dayton and make it into the NCAAs, that's great, of course.

But if we don't, that's fine, too. It would be nice to make a deep run into the NIT (and maybe even win the damn thing) to build momentum for next year.

Last year we were 18-15 (9-9 A-10, 11-10 counting the conference tourney) and made the conference semis.

If we could get to 22-9 (13-5 A-10, 14-5) or 23-10 (13-5, 15-6) that would be a big improvement.

And we could be competitive in a tournament that better suits the level we've been playing to in recent games.

When's the last time URI got past the first weekend after Selection Sunday? I know it wouldn't be the tourney we wanted, but it would be cool to play further into March on some level.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I’ll wait.

Go look at the prediction thread. How many predicted that we would be where we are?

The season is not over either. How are fans giving up and they aren’t even the ones that play. Should the kids go ahead and forfeit the next 2-3 games?
Well they better not give up. I showed up with a head cold and half a voice. I can't talk now after the game as I screamed the last of my voice away. All I can say is if this team doesn't dance it is a complete and utter failure for the year, plain and simple.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago I've decided that I'm fine with whatever happens in the next week and a half. If we beat #3 Dayton and make it into the NCAAs, that's great, of course.

But if we don't, that's fine, too. It would be nice to make a deep run into the NIT (and maybe even win the damn thing) to build momentum for next year.

Last year we were 18-15 (9-9 A-10, 11-10 counting the conference tourney) and made the conference semis.

If we could get to 22-9 (13-5 A-10, 14-5) or 23-10 (13-5, 15-6) that would be a big improvement.

And we could be competitive in a tournament that better suits the level we've been playing to in recent games.

When's the last time URI got past the first weekend after Selection Sunday? I know it wouldn't be the tourney we wanted, but it would be cool to play further into March on some level.
I really don't know how to comment on this blather. But it sounds like a bunch of horseshit to me.
9 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Ouch!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Of course they didn't dictate the run, they were freshman and sophomores. And by the time they were seniors we still should have been good enough to make the tournament.

Jeff lead the country in assist to turnover ratio. Cyril was banged up early and made a big impact the second part of the year. We all know how awesome Fatts was in big moments.

ANY coach that inherited the team Hurley left should of had a goal of making the tournament year 2. Our staff didn't build one of the toughest non conferences in the country just for the hell of it. They did it because they knew this was an NCAA tournament caliber team. "Real" fans witnessed Jim Baron have plenty of 20 win NIT seasons and losses just like this. That's not good enough anymore... Hurley proved we can be more.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

mjg13x wrote: 4 years ago I've decided that I'm fine with whatever happens in the next week and a half. If we beat #3 Dayton and make it into the NCAAs, that's great, of course.

You might then possibly be the only happy person in the building at a probable NIT game. I can't imagine that there will be many happy players, staff, or fans there.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

URI - UCONN matchup in the NIT. Calling it now.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Does anyone remember the St. Joseph’s or Charlotte losses at home at the end of the 2007-2008 collapse? Today’s game was eerily similar. They weren’t in either of those games nor were they really in today’s game.
Last edited by scine20 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago

Jeff lead the country in assist to turnover ratio. Cyril was banged up early and made a big impact the second part of the year. We all know how awesome Fatts was in big moments.

ANY coach that inherited the team Hurley left should of had a goal of making the tournament year 2. Our staff didn't build one of the toughest non conferences in the country just for the hell of it. They did it because they knew this was an NCAA tournament caliber team. "Real" fans witnessed Jim Baron have plenty of 20 win NIT seasons and losses just like this. That's not good enough anymore... Hurley proved we can be more.
So, what’s your point? That’s clearly what Cox and team want as well.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Call me a troll, idiot, nit wit, block me, whatever. You all know I’ve been right for weeks yet refuse to admit it.

Tough to play with seven Division 1 caliber players eligible.

Started slow in both half’s and couldn’t recover. Made our runs when a certain someone finally came off the floor.

Jermaine Harris shot the ball four times and DID NOT HIT THE RIM ONCE.

I repeat, he did not hit the rim once on any shot. Do you realize how pathetic that is? Gave up multiple baskets To start the game, had his patented moving screen offensive foul.

Cannot keep getting out to slow starts with him. Unfortunately it’s too late now, zero chance for a bid.

Start Toppin, play Harris 4-6 minutes. He’s useless.

OK, I get it, JH played 9 minutes and cost us the game. Who did you think played well? Do you think the outcome would have been better if JH did not playat all. Enough already!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don’t know any coach or team in the country that doesn't want a bid. When you have the talent to do it, that’s another story, My point is you seem ok with us missing the tournament this year. I’m not.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

@McRam

If we did not get off to a slow start both halves we would have had a much much better chance.

Shooting 3 airballs, giving up 3 baskets, and getting a moving screen call in four minutes played a critical role in getting down 11-0.
0 x
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

It’s insane to me that some people would be happy with an NIT run. Those type of fans are how we ended up with Baron for so long.

The main selling point on Cox was continuity. If he can’t make the dance, then it’s not good enough. Not suggesting we fire him this year, but how long does he get? One more year? Two? If we’re three or four years in with no tourney appearances, wtf are we doing? It’s not like he is rebuilding a program from scratch.
7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t know any coach or team in the country that doesn't want a bid. When you have the talent to make it that’s another story, My point is you seem ok with us missing the tournament this year. I’m not.
Is it the talent that isn’t producing? Or is it the coach? Or is it both?

We shot poorly. We missed some wide open shots. We make half of those, we win.

I’m still not following your POV.

Never said I was okay with it. I simply said the SEASON ISNT OVER!

Let’s move on.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Anyone know why Walker Barely played until the final 2 minutes while Toppin was getting absolutely muscled left and right? Walker was on the bench with his head down.
1 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

URI_05 wrote: 4 years ago It’s insane to me that some people would be happy with an NIT run. Those type of fans are how we ended up with Baron for so long.

The main selling point on Cox was continuity. If he can’t make the dance, then it’s not good enough. Not suggesting we fire him this year, but how long does he get? One more year? Two? If we’re three or four years in with no tourney appearances, wtf are we doing? It’s not like he is rebuilding a program from scratch.
I agree on it being nuts that people would be happy with an NIT appearance. Seriously??
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

An NIT run is great in a season like 2002-2003 when they had come back from those three terrible years before them. But this year? It's an absolute failure.
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago @McRam

If we did not get off to a slow start both halves we would have had a much much better chance.

Shooting 3 airballs, giving up 3 baskets, and getting a moving screen call in four minutes played a critical role in getting down 11-0.
I agree... When Cox came out with the same exact lineup to start the second half I said to my girlfriend get ready to see this lead hit double digits quick. I thought we would of called timeout when it went back up to 10 but for some reason Cox waited until we went down 14. I wish we started Walker in the second half. He was the only one off the bench battling down low. For some reason he got benched late for Toppin. I love Toppin but he has trouble against strong big men. Every goddamn missed shot St Louis would just grab the rebound. Very frustrating.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Not going to go on any rant now.

We aren't good enough.

Simple as that.

That shit show 1st half was the proof.

Say what you will about the coaching, but the players have to make shots.

Yeah we still have an outside shot at a bid...does anyone think we will do it?

Even the NIT isn't a lock.

I hope that Cox can bring in a shooter or two along with a big that can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I will add, that Harris does indeed look like a bust. Not improving whatsoever, complete no show against better teams.

Toppin will be really good, he just needs time to develop. Another couple of years, he will be a stud.

Things aren't hopeless....yet.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago The students don’t care about them getting an at large bid. If they did there would have been a greater turnout today.
I will be way more surprised if the student section is full on Wednesday than if it isn't
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Not sure why anyone is singling out any particular player. No one showed up today. No one. Not worth crying over, however now Dayton is a must win if we want to even sniff an at large bid.

I’ve never said anything negative about Cox. And I hate when all the forum members pile on after a loss. However there was a play in the 1st half were Fatts got clobbered in the lane (No call) and I wanted Cox to run out there and get T’d up. Need to stand up for your star when there are blatant missed calls.

Once that happened and the refs continue to make no calls, SL never looked back. Man that game sucked.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The team came out with no energy or spark. Just dead. Saint Louis contested everything. Over the TV, did I hear booing at one point? Is Harris an A-10 level player? Just asking. For those who didn't notice, the Fat Lady sang at about 4 PM!!
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Not sure why anyone is singling out any particular player. No one showed up today. No one. Not worth crying over, however now Dayton is a must win if we want to even sniff an at large bid.

I’ve never said anything negative about Cox. And I hate when all the forum members pile on after a loss. However there was a play in the 1st half were Fatts got clobbered in the lane (No call) and I wanted Cox to run out there and get T’d up. Need to stand up for your star when there are blatant missed calls.

Once that happened and the refs continue to make no calls, SL never looked back. Man that game sucked.
I said the same thing! He should’ve gotten a tech right there. I even mentioned it earlier in the post.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Not sure why anyone is singling out any particular player. No one showed up today. No one. Not worth crying over, however now Dayton is a must win if we want to even sniff an at large bid.

we play like we did tonight and I'll be home at 10. we will be down 30 at the half playing like that.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Over the TV, did I hear booing at one point?
Yes.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I don’t know any coach or team in the country that doesn't want a bid. When you have the talent to make it that’s another story, My point is you seem ok with us missing the tournament this year. I’m not.

Let’s move on.
I was responding to you saying programs would kill for what Cox has done this season. I disagreed with that.

Plenty of players let me down, but at the end of the day this season is on our coaching staff.

I like Cox and I think he knows the game extremely well. I just think this team should be in the tournament.

Hopefully we get a bid and we are all happy.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There really isn't an excuse to come out flat in a game this important, especially at home.

Who do you blame?

Players? Coaches?

They are all guilty.

Sad, really.

Listen, I like David Cox...but he has 3 more years on his contract, I think.

If we don't dance the next 2 years, we need to move on.

This program should by now have higher expectations, always. Mediocrity is not an option.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago There really isn't an excuse to come out flat in a game this important, especially at home.

Who do you blame?

Players? Coaches?

They are all guilty.

Sad, really.
But no one will agree that all the goofing around in pregame, the shooting from half court, the crazy dunk attempts, the laughing and joking has nothing to do with our slow starts and lack of intensity to begin games. Like I said, focus on the game should start when the kids walk into the RC, not during the player introductions.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s move on.
I was responding to you saying programs would kill for what Cox has done this season. I disagreed with that.

Plenty of players let me down, but at the end of the day this season is on our coaching staff.

I like Cox and I think he knows the game extremely well. I just think this team should be in the tournament.

Again, moving on. We are talking past each other.

Moral of the story, we both want the same thing, a bid.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago There really isn't an excuse to come out flat in a game this important, especially at home.

Who do you blame?

Players? Coaches?

They are all guilty.

Sad, really.
But no one will agree that all the goofing around in pregame, the shooting from half court, the crazy dunk attempts, the laughing and joking has nothing to do with our slow starts and lack of intensity to begin games. Like I said, focus on the game should start when the kids walk into the RC, not during the player introductions.
Agree Billyboy. That has to change. Even if the coaches are OK with it, the players should take it upon themselves to be more focused pregame.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Depressed is the only word I can think of describe my feelings. I thought they would come back home and get back on track. Instead, they played horribly. Yes there was booing, guys trying to call time out from the stands, jeers at Harris, people asking if anyone will ever box out, etc etc. We can only hope they have hit bottom (again) and can somehow pull themselves together for a stretch run.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

One cool thing that happened was in the 2nd half, a little kid dropped a ball onto the court and they had to stop the game. And instead of throwing the family out (the kid was visibly upset and crying), Dowtin (as classy a player as the program has ever had BTW) brought the ball over to the kid, the ref gave him a high 5 or fist pump, the crowd applauded and the game resumed.
Last edited by scine20 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

This team just has a lower than average basketball IQ. Not Jeff, but nearly everyone else. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about that.

They forgot what brought them that 10 game win streak, which was learning to rotate the ball to the open man. Today, they just tried to force it down low and drive the lane, St. Louis was leaving the perimeter wide open. Yes, they were leaving first year players open, but you have to trust that an open man has a better chance than someone being guarded by three people. There is no confidence in the younger players to make a play.

Also, part of the game plan should have been to take advantage of their poor FT shooting. Cox had them in good position with 10 mins left, with very few fouls as opposed to St. Louis, no one really in foul trouble. They should have been sending French and Bell to the line before they could get a shot off, every time down the court in the last 10-12 mins. You thought that was the game plan, and then it didn't happen. It never materialized.
1 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago This team just has a lower than average basketball IQ. Not Jeff, but nearly everyone else. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about that.

They forgot what brought them that 10 game win streak, which was learning to rotate the ball to the open man. Today, they just tried to force it down low and drive the lane, St. Louis was leaving the perimeter wide open. Yes, they were leaving first year players open, but you have to trust that an open man has a better chance than someone being guarded by three people. There is no confidence in the younger players to make a play.

Also, part of the game plan should have been to take advantage of their poor FT shooting. Cox had them in good position with 10 mins left, with very few fouls as opposed to St. Louis, no one really in foul trouble. They should have been sending French and Bell to the line before they could get a shot off, every time down the court in the last 10-12 mins. You thought that was the game plan, and then it didn't happen. It never materialized.
A lot of that is coaching.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Let’s move on.

Again, moving on. We are talking past each other.

Moral of the story, we both want the same thing, a bid.
Yes we do.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

scine20 wrote: 4 years ago A lot of that is coaching.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago
scine20 wrote: 4 years ago A lot of that is coaching.
I'm not 100% convinced of that. Not yet. Some of these players just revert back to their losing ways if you don't constantly hound them 24/7, they should have learned the lesson after Brown and Richmond, but they only learned it temporarily, and now they are back to square one.

And that's why they won't be dancing, unfortunately.
Give a solid coach this roster and they're easily dancing. Fatts Russell wouldn't be trying to play hero ball every other possession and Langevine would actually pass to someone wide open instead of trying to make a layup while triple teamed.

I'm sorry but I'm not at all convinced that Cox is the answer. I feel like he was hired for the wrong reasons to begin with and that they're underachieving.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Not going to rehash the obvious, but the most alarming part of today is the lack of any urgency the players started the game with and that is directly on the coaching. We are a team with many deficiencies skill wise who struggles to score with any consistency and St Louis was absolutely the team who was much better prepared. Not sure what Cox was expecting St Louis to do defensively but we looked absolutely anemic to start the game, something that should never happen in the 28th game of the season. St Louis ran their offense with purpose, something we have rarely shown, they took a grand total of 4 3-point shots today, they came with a plan an executed it to perfection. I just cant understand how we can lay such a bad egg with so much on the line, teams are suppose to improve in February (like PC is), not regressing like we have in the past 2 weeks. I had a bad feeling about this game and have an even worse feeling about Wednesday, Dayton has visions on a 1 seed and they certainly are not letting a slumping URI team stand in their way, could be ugly. I feel for Jermaine, the kid is trying for sure, he's just not the player he was advertised as.
4 x