2/26 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: 2/26 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

yes !

Unreal

Live for another day
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

That defense was awful, but we won. Come home for 2 games. We are still in the bracket!!!!!!!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well, we survived it. In the end thats all that matters I guess. On to the next one and really hope Cyril and Dowtin are healthy. Huge free throws from Toppin, pretty happy for him.
6 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jacob Toppin has just prevented a mass suicide.
13 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I know a lot of you got cut from jumping off the bandwagon just now, but I'll lend you a hand to jump back on...
1 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Walker 3 was ridiculous. No more shots except for put backs.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That is the most joyless win maybe of my entire life. You cannot feel good about this team right now. I have a lot of thoughts about the last 10 minutes of that game, but I’m so numb and disappointed that I don’t even feel like typing them up. However, it will be a lot easier for me to get over an ugly win than a season ending loss.

Major props to Toppin for hitting those free throws. Big time clutch, and maybe the only positive of the last 10 minutes of the game. Martin had a very good game overall but it was very nearly all for nothing.
10 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

THANK
YOU
TOPPIN
4 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

End of game: No seniors no problem. We are in trouble if that is the norm rest of this season, but good sign for next year's team.
Last edited by rhodyruckus 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PaulieMash
Abdul Fox

Unread post by PaulieMash »

Good thing I remembered to not eat meat today
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Walker shoots a 3 out of a time out? Maybe that is why Cox does not call a time out? Fordham's run to get to 2 points and then go ahead reminded me of the Brown game when Brown went on about a 14 point run without Cox calling a time out.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We need our two seniors to get healthy ASAP.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I feel like we've peaked.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago The ways we find to lose games never ceases to amaze me.
In 40 years of being a fan I thought I have seen every heartbreaking loss possible. This takes the cake. A team that hasn't scored 60 points in 2 months going to get 80. Unbelievable.
Wow escaped one. Amazing I will take it. And even without any cardiac issues. Take a shower (if they have showers in that facility), get on the bus and get the hell home. Go Rhody!!!
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Coach Cox: "I have total confidence in our training staff, hopefully they'll have (Langevine) ready for the next one."

Announcers should have asked him about Dowtin too, he was in pain just walking around middle of the 2nd half.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

A question, was Toppin last free throws the only time we hit 2 in row tonight?
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Coach on TV post game said he would have liked a Walker make no one more pass, but stepped into shot, then Jacob.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago Toppin & Martin saved their ass tonight.
Long too!
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago I feel like we've peaked.
Won without Cyril on the road vs that curse of a team who has even played Dayton close. I’ll take this one point win 100/100 times over losing. Regroup with two massive home games. Let’s go rams!
4 x
GO RAMS
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

12-4, 20-8... That's the bottom line. Followed on ESPN.com.. not fun.. the fear all along for me was this team's depth.. couldn't afford injuries. Now 2 of our top 5 are hurt. If they aren't healthy this team is going to struggle the rest of the way. Let's be real gang. Dowtin and langevine are key no matter who we play especially on the road.. need good news on both of them..
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago he's not calling a play for walker. opponents give him that shot and he keeps taking it. ugh!
Just because they give you the shot doesn’t mean you have to take it

that's why i put an "ugh" of course he shouldn't be taking it. just saying the play wasn't called for him to take that shot.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago A question, was Toppin last free throws the only time we hit 2 in row tonight?
It sure seems like it....
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago I feel like we've peaked.
Won without Cyril on the road vs that curse of a team who has even played Dayton close. I’ll take this one point win 100/100 times over losing. Regroup with two massive home games. Let’s go rams!
Absolutely, don't get me wrong. But man it's been really tight lately. Against mediocre to poor teams.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago We're not a deep team and just got a lot less experienced for tonight. Let's see who is ready among our 4 role players to handle a larger role.
........Long.......backup then Toppin.......then by Jermaine.....to a win....
.......I will stand by this......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago 12-4, 20-8... That's the bottom line. Followed on ESPN.com.. not fun.. the fear all along for me was this team's depth.. couldn't afford injuries. Now 2 of our top 5 are hurt. If they aren't healthy this team is going to struggle the rest of the way. Let's be real gang. Dowtin and langevine are key no matter who we play especially on the road.. need good news on both of them..
20-7

12-3

Dude dont give us a loss we dont have
8 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Under normal circumstances Walker would not have even been on the floor. That was an escape from alcatraz win.
1 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Think positive! We do! = Mehki Long, Toppin

This can only help going forward.
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago That is the most joyless win maybe of my entire life. You cannot feel good about this team right now. I have a lot of thoughts about the last 10 minutes of that game, but I’m so numb and disappointed that I don’t even feel like typing them up. However, it will be a lot easier for me to get over an ugly win than a season ending loss.

Major props to Toppin for hitting those free throws. Big time clutch, and maybe the only positive of the last 10 minutes of the game. Martin had a very good game overall but it was very nearly all for nothing.
TP i couldnt have said it better. Not having Cyril should not have mattered. RI high school teams could give fordham trouble.

Cox needs to decide how this team is going to play defense. There is zero need to help on the ball on every possession and every pass. We leave way to many folks wide the F*%# open consistently because we help on the ball far to often. Play man or play zone. That is on the coaching staff not the players.

Tyrese is a stud. Fatts needs to find his rhythm and he will. But for christ sake cox learn how to coach defense and when to take a GD timeout.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Walker with 5 TOs and lucky he wasn’t credited with more. Harris doesn’t show much with Cyril out. Disappointing.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Under normal circumstances Walker would not have even been on the floor. That was an escape from alcatraz win.

he was on the floor in crunch time vs. davidson.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Under normal circumstances Walker would not have even been on the floor. That was an escape from alcatraz win.

did we win?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There's a reason Walker was open for that shot...
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago
Long too!
We needed Long’s points tonight for sure. I posted during the game that I like a lot about his game but he passed up two wide open three point looks in a 3 minute span, choosing to put it on the deck both times - once for a bricked pull-up 19 footer and once drove right into a defender for an offensive foul. Those have to be catch-and-shoot in rhythm threes, especially because he showed tonight that he can make them. He’s not Walker or Harris where when he jacks up an open three you cringe. That’s just a matter of confidence and comfort that will come as his career progresses but for now it’s hard to have a guy on the floor for long stretches who is not confident enough to pull the trigger on those looks.
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I can’t believe how shitty we just played with everything on the line. We played some of the worse defense I’ve seen in a long time. Zero intensity. I out this on Cox all day. Langevine should have played and only sat if we were up big. We’re nit good enough to rest players against any team. I’m disgusted by that game. Walker for 3 again... how in the world does that happen. Harris again horrendous. We need to get our shit together. Martin made some great baskets but played zero defense. We played that game like it was an exhibition. Our tourney lives at stake....wtf
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

David Cox is significantly below average in timeout and roster management and it almost cost us the season tonight. We live to fight another day but this team needs to play a lot smarter if they're going to have the ending we're hoping for and Cox needs to improve a lot if he's going to have the career a lot of people on here project him to have
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

did we win?
you said under normal circumstances he wouldn't be on the floor. i'm pointing out that that is not true.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

URIFIJI wrote: 4 years ago
ram1980 wrote: 4 years ago 12-4, 20-8... That's the bottom line. Followed on ESPN.com.. not fun.. the fear all along for me was this team's depth.. couldn't afford injuries. Now 2 of our top 5 are hurt. If they aren't healthy this team is going to struggle the rest of the way. Let's be real gang. Dowtin and langevine are key no matter who we play especially on the road.. need good news on both of them..
20-7

12-3

Dude dont give us a loss we dont have
Yeah that's what I meant.. lost my calculator🔢
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......start Toppin over Jermaine.....
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Our defense needs to take a 180 from tonight cause that was some sorry ass defense.
0 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago That is the most joyless win maybe of my entire life. You cannot feel good about this team right now. I have a lot of thoughts about the last 10 minutes of that game, but I’m so numb and disappointed that I don’t even feel like typing them up. However, it will be a lot easier for me to get over an ugly win than a season ending loss.

This is me right now... I feel like these are my words and thoughts exactly.

What has happened here? Fatts looks NOTHING like himself last couple games. We need to find IT again and fast.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Cyril can’t play Sunday it is going to be embarrassing watching French abuse Jermaine.

Yet another fucking no show tonight from that stiff.

WHY IS WALKER ALLOWED TO CONTINUE TO SHOOT 3s?

Besides that last shot, he played well, his numbers were good.

Tyrese, HUGE game.

However if Jeff and Cyril aren’t healthy, we have no shot at the tourney.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago I can’t believe how shitty we just played with everything on the line. We played some of the worse defense I’ve seen in a long time. Zero intensity. I out this on Cox all day. Langevine should have played and only sat if we were up big. We’re nit good enough to rest players against any team. I’m disgusted by that game. Walker for 3 again... how in the world does that happen. Harris again horrendous. We need to get our shit together. Martin made some great baskets but played zero defense. We played that game like it was an exhibition. Our tourney lives at stake....wtf
If Cyril can't play he can't play. I haven't heard anything about him sitting for load management reasons. He has an upper body injury, he couldn't go
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

P.S. I would take Soriano in a heart beat. Did we even look at him?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Toppin has started two games (I think?), once for Fatts, once for Cyril...versatility ;)
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Cox said afterwards he was not happy with Walkers three. Wanted him to pass it to Jeff.

Initially he was running a play for Fatts, but they snuffed it out.

I think we also have to recognize that Fordham easily played their best game of the season.

They made shots they havent made all year, and played as hard as they possibly could.

We just let off the gas AS USUAL, but luckily we had enough balls to somehow not completely blow it.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Tom98 wrote: 4 years ago I can’t believe how shitty we just played with everything on the line. We played some of the worse defense I’ve seen in a long time. Zero intensity. I out this on Cox all day. Langevine should have played and only sat if we were up big. We’re nit good enough to rest players against any team. I’m disgusted by that game. Walker for 3 again... how in the world does that happen. Harris again horrendous. We need to get our shit together. Martin made some great baskets but played zero defense. We played that game like it was an exhibition. Our tourney lives at stake....wtf

do you have some inside intel that cyril was well enough to play in that game? if so, please share your medical report.
1 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
jaywin86 wrote: 4 years ago
Long too!
We needed Long’s points tonight for sure. I posted during the game that I like a lot about his game but he passed up two wide open three point looks in a 3 minute span, choosing to put it on the deck both times - once for a bricked pull-up 19 footer and once drove right into a defender for an offensive foul. Those have to be catch-and-shoot in rhythm threes, especially because he showed tonight that he can make them. He’s not Walker or Harris where when he jacks up an open three you cringe. That’s just a matter of confidence and comfort that will come as his career progresses but for now it’s hard to have a guy on the floor for long stretches who is not confident enough to pull the trigger on those looks.
this is on point for Long's assessment. I don't post quite a lot but I have posted about him becoming a glue guy (TJ). I hope TJ is showing him by taking him under his wing
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......start Toppin over Jermaine.....
I have to agree on this now. I actually just said the same thing to someone I was texting with. I do worry about just losing Harris completely, and I do really feel bad for Jermaine because he is a good kid and I think a lot of the shots people have taken at him are unseemly. But at this point Toppin is just much more productive and for the good of the team you need you best players on the floor as much as possible. We don’t have the luxury of giving courtesy minutes at this point.
2 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Tough crowd tonight. Gotta take the wins any way you can get them on the road. Hope Jeff and Cyril ok. Somebody above mentioned how nerve racking it was tracking via ESPN play-by-play. I was dying waiting for updates those last30 seconds. Did Topping block the last shot?
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Alright let me try and make a positive out of this:

1. We won
2. Fordham, despite being bad, played Richmond & Duquesne within 6 points at home and only lost to Dayton by 14 @ Dayton
3. We were without our top interior presence, a senior, and were clearly dealing with a 50% Dowtin in the 2H
4. We won
5. Freshmen + Martin stepped up big
6. Huge game-winning FTs for the local Toppin
7. Fatts was off and we figured out a way
8. We won
9. We won
10. We won

Winning on the road in conference is hard. I don’t care who your opponent is. It’s why everyone wants Fordham out...it’s a liable game despite how bad they are. Regroup, get healthy, and win the next.
6 x