2/26 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 2/26 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago Nobody likes this game. It is one of those games that you wish you forgot about than checked the score and saw that we won. It doesn’t matter if it is by 1 or 30. Let’s be honest if we can’t beat a 7-19 team that has little going for it and no home court advantage than are we deserving of a NCAA tournament bid?
Bingo.

And, correct, we lose this, gear up for a meltdown of epic proportions.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Why is everyone so scared of Fordham? They are 1-13 with a home win against GW, another garbage team. If we blow this one, at this point of the season, with what is on the line, then a "meltdown of epic proportions" is warranted.
8 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why is everyone so scared of Fordham? They are 1-13 with a home win against GW, another garbage team. If we blow this one, at this point of the season, with what is on the line, then a "meltdown of epic proportions" is warranted.
The fact that our recent record vs. Fordham is less than stellar.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Why is everyone so scared of Fordham? They are 1-13 with a home win against GW, another garbage team. If we blow this one, at this point of the season, with what is on the line, then a "meltdown of epic proportions" is warranted.
I hear that, but this is also the worst team Fordham has had in 10 years (based on W/L record).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And how much of that losing 3 of our last 4 (including 2 of all places in the Ryan Center) was at least partly because we were not scared of them and gave them little or no respect?

We must win Fordham, St Louis and UMASS. Can’t underestimate any of these 3 teams. Road games at Fordham and UMASS are almost never easy.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago How Fordham gets a 6’11 kid, we’ll never know.
We got Craig Stewart once. Someone described him as "the biggest project since (the) Manhattan (Project)."
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think the level of disaster that it would be to lose multiplied by the fact that we’ve seen similar things happen before equals an outsized sense of fear for fans.

People said similarly cowardly stuff about the George Washington game and the Mason game and it turned out to be misplaced anxiety. Anything could theoretically happen but I think it’s silly to approach life by worrying about this type of tail risk.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The disaster of a loss to Davidson made all remaining games worrisome.
When you get to where you cannot under any circumstances lose @Fordham, Saint Louis and @ UMASS then Things change

At least I’m not hearing that nonsense that we will be ok even if we lose 3 of our last 6 games. That was never an option.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The disaster of a loss to Davidson made all remaining games worrisome.
When you get to where you cannot under any circumstances lose @Fordham, Saint Louis and @ UMASS then Things change

At least I’m not hearing that nonsense that we will be ok even if we lose 3 of our last 6 games. That was never an option.
Agreed. I'm not sure if I remember anyone seriously thinking 3-3 in the last 6 after the first Dayton game would have been fine. I remember personally thinking 4-2 at minimum and only if the 2 losses came from the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio. If a loss came in the St. Joe's/Fordham/UMass trio, then beating Dayton would have been a must. I saw no path with 3-3 unless Dayton was one of the victories (and even that would be a stretch). 5-1 (meaning 4-0 the rest of the way) would be ideal.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago The disaster of a loss to Davidson made all remaining games worrisome.

Agreed. I'm not sure if I remember anyone seriously thinking 3-3 in the last 6 after the first Dayton game would have been fine. I remember personally thinking 4-2 at minimum and only if the 2 losses came from the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio. If a loss came in the St. Joe's/Fordham/UMass trio, then beating Dayton would have been a must. I saw no path with 3-3 unless Dayton was one of the victories (and even that would be a stretch). 5-1 (meaning 4-0 the rest of the way) would be ideal.
There were people who said that 3-3 would be enough. I think the next two games are the ones that we have a ton of pressure on us. If we get to the Dayton game with two wins under our belt I think we can play a little more relaxed (but pedal to the medal) at home as the underdog. Lose Fordham and we are done. Lose to St.Louis and 100% the Dayton and Umass games are must win
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The Davidson loss, which should have been a win, ups the ante for the rest of the "should-win" games on the schedule.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
And how much of that losing 3 of our last 4 (including 2 of all places in the Ryan Center) was at least partly because we were not scared of them and gave them little or no respect?

We must win Fordham, St Louis and UMASS. Can’t underestimate any of these 3 teams. Road games at Fordham and UMASS are almost never easy.
Well now you are talking about something different though. Of course the players and coaches need to respect every opponent and not look past or underestimate anyone. My comment was more about fans though.

So I guess I can understand if its a fear of the team just not being ready, but damn I sure hope that doesn't turn out to be the case at this point of the season.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This thought came into my mind and I did some research to confirm... it's indeed true.

1 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago This thought came into my mind and I did some research to confirm... it's indeed true.

that's pretty amazing - let's end that Wednesday evening
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

We lose this game, and the new topic of conversation becomes, do you think we'll be a #1 seed or a #2 seed, in the NIT...
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago This thought came into my mind and I did some research to confirm... it's indeed true.

To be fair Cox has only been head coach for one game against Fordham, correct?
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Correct. He has coached more than one game against every team except Fordham and Saint Louis.
1 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

I have a lot of confidence that this game ends up like the game at Fordham 2 years ago,,,,Double digit lead by half (9 points that game) and cruise to a 15-20 point win. 73-56

They'll beat St Louis by 4-6

Play Dayton down to the wire and maybe just maybe get a break/bounce/call to go there way

Umass scares me big time though.
3 x
bkoeppen
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by bkoeppen »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago that's pretty amazing - let's end that Wednesday evening
Correct. He has coached more than one game against every team except Fordham and Saint Louis.
pretty sure they played St louis twice last year, going 1-1.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

pretty sure they played St louis twice last year, going 1-1.
this is correct. Each team won on their homecourt
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

My bad, it was their first conference game and I didn't scroll up far enough.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago We lose this game, and the new topic of conversation becomes, do you think we'll be a #1 seed or a #2 seed, in the NIT...
I think most people could care less about the NIT. I would rather not even make the NIT if they weren’t in the tourney. Useless games that have no excitement. Hopefully we don’t get to that point. It would great to get a huge game Tuesday with two wins.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We lose tomorrow we don’t really deserve to dance must win game
1 x
Rhody123
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody123 »

Agreed. Lets just worry about Fordham for now and take care of business tomorrow night. Knock them down one at a time!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Seems like a lot of agita over this game. I hope the team held another team meeting for the final 4 games of the regular season. Boys better get locked cause the NCAAT is on the line.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Unavailable again?

Why is this team being shielded from the media?

First Dayton game, now Fordham.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......in Coach Cox I trust......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

We are 6-6 against Fordham in last 12....that is pretty embarrassing
1 x
Clapton is God
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago We are 6-6 against Fordham in last 12....that is pretty embarrassing
More of an anomaly than an embarrassment. Three of those 6 losses did come during the three year bottoming out at the end of the Baron era and beginning of the Hurley era at the beginning of the decade, but since then URI has been about 40 games over .500 in the conference which is either the best or close to the best record in the conference during that time. Losing three times to Fordham in that stretch is just kind of a weird thing, like how the Red Sox would struggle with the Rays during the late Pedro era when the Red Sox were contending for pennants and the Rays were losing 100+ games per year. I don’t think that kinda weird history will matter a ton tomorrow when the game really really matters to us (hopefully).
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago We are 6-6 against Fordham in last 12....that is pretty embarrassing
More of an anomaly than an embarrassment. Three of those 6 losses did come during the three year bottoming out at the end of the Baron era and beginning of the Hurley era at the beginning of the decade, but since then URI has been about 40 games over .500 in the conference which is either the best or close to the best record in the conference during that time. Losing three times to Fordham in that stretch is just kind of a weird thing, like how the Red Sox would struggle with the Rays during the late Pedro era when the Red Sox were contending for pennants and the Rays were losing 100+ games per year. I don’t think that kinda weird history will matter a ton tomorrow when the game really really matters to us (hopefully).

Yeah it makes more sense to look at it game by game instead of a trend.

In 16 we were just an emotionally beaten team without EC.

In 17 we lost that after a crushing home loss to Dayton. We were just emotionally wrecked going in.

Last year, we were just young and really dumb. We really snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory in that one. They had Nick Honor who was hitting big shots and who was a high major player for them.

This year they dont have a Nick Honor or a Jon Severe.

We would have to fall completely apart to lose.

Worse than Brown.

Brown is a better team than Fordham.

It wont be easy, but we shouldn't worry ourselves to death over this until Fordham actually gives us a reason to.
0 x
URIFIJI
Kenny Green

Unread post by URIFIJI »

Your Time

This is your time RHODY

Lets go fucking take it and win tonight
3 x
LamonteUlmer15
Michael Andersen

Unread post by LamonteUlmer15 »

Would be shocked if Fatts has another bad game tonight, and if he plays how he's played in 95% of games this year this game won't be close. I don't see how Fordham cracks 60 Pts to be honest. I get respecting the opponent and our history vs. them but I think tonight isn't going to be competitive, just my opinion.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

In 17 we lost that after a crushing home loss to Dayton. We were just emotionally wrecked going in.

Last year, we were just young and really dumb. We really snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory in that one. They had Nick Honor who was hitting big shots and who was a high major player for them.

Worse than Brown.

It wont be easy, but we shouldn't worry ourselves to death over this until Fordham actually gives us a reason to.
NET
Fordham 277
Brown 233

They are both bad
We have lost 3 of our last 4 to Fordham.
There are no amount of excuses to explain losses to Brown or Fordham

Just need to man up.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I hope Jacob Toppin gets more minutes tonight seeing as how Ossining HIgh School is only about 25 miles from Fordham. Should be lots of friends and family on hand tonight.

https://fordhamsports.com/news/2020/2/2 ... esday.aspx
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Worse than Brown.

NET
Fordham 277
Brown 233

They are both bad
We have lost 3 of our last 4 to Fordham.
There are no amount of excuses to explain losses to Brown or Fordham

Just need to man up.
Yeah I agree. Focus. Play hard. Easy win.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I hope Jacob Toppin gets more minutes tonight seeing as how Ossining HIgh School is only about 25 miles from Fordham. Should be lots of friends and family on hand tonight.

I say give him the green light.

He has had multiple double figure games.

I wanna see him take it to the hoop more. Hes so athletic and hes got good touch around the rim.

At least let him loose against a team like Fordham.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I hope Jacob Toppin gets more minutes tonight seeing as how Ossining HIgh School is only about 25 miles from Fordham. Should be lots of friends and family on hand tonight.

I wanna see him take it to the hoop more. Hes so athletic and hes got good touch around the rim.

He had 3 or 4 go to the basket moves against St. Joe's! I want more of that!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hes a walking mismatch just like his brother!

He is a little bambi like of course, but still he can do a lot.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/195 ... -cbb-picks

URI -11.5 @ Fordham

BIG-TIME late February A-10 matchup here. A battle of the Rams. I'll never stop going back to the well on URI. Fordham is god awful. 1-13 in the conference. Rose Hill Gym might be the least intimidating place to play in all of college basketball. URI is a legitimate team that can make noise in the tournament thats coming off a really tough overtime loss to Davidson. Fordham has no one on the court who's worth the last shit Fatts Russell took when it comes to playing the game of basketball. URI runs away from this game by 20+ and officially takes the claim of #Ramly.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You guys may be right time for Jacob to get crunch time minutes with the game on the line ??

Go with Fatts JD Tyrese Jacob and CL ???
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I hate that I’m nervous about playing f**king Fordham.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hes a walking mismatch just like his brother!

He is a little bambi like of course, but still he can do a lot.
Toppin’s last 5 games he has played only 10,18,15,11,14
In the last 5 games he has scored:
He has shot 9-20 FG, 3-9 on 3Ps, 8-11 FTs

I think he needs to play more minutes. He is too good to be brought along as slowly as he is imho.

In the ugly Richmond loss who some call soft, overrated, terrible, horrible, etc......we had some starters play very badly against such a weak team BUT Jacob Toppin showed up to play!!!!
Vs Richmond:
23 minutes
8 rebounds
12 points
5-7 FG, 2-2 FT
1 assist
1 block
1 personal foul

I hope he plays more vs Fordham, St Louis, Dayton and UMASS. He is too good to be playing only 13 mpg his last 5 games especially when starting guards are playing 37 mph and looking like fatigue is setting in at times. We need some energy and excitement.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......so yeah, start him......and nothing to do with Ossining.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

No Cyril for tonight 😡
0 x
Go Rhody
Section104
Art Stephenson