Week #16 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #16 - Games of Interest

Unread post by reef »

I was pulling for PC to lose but am happy that since they won it knocks Gtown out for now always take the silver lining with PC results
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Nobody here hates PC more than I do, I just care about URI’s season more than I hate them.
It's nice to have some competition, but everyone else is playing for second place in that department
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Nobody here hates PC more than I do, I just care about URI’s season more than I hate them.
It's nice to have some competition, but everyone else is playing for second place in that department
Fair, Red. There’s a lot of competition haha. But I, like you, really and truly have disdain for the institution itself and it isn’t just a basketball thing for me. But when it comes to basketball, I want what is best for URI more than I want to dance on PC’s grave (although whenever I can get both, that’s the best case scenario).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago The PC trolls who reply to KMAC, Koch, or a other PC related tweet are the most insufferable human beings on the internet. My
blood boils when I see the replies.
They are the worst. However, PVDHoops guy or whatever his name is, is completely bonkers....it's hilarious how URI is living rent free in his head.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I don’t care if PC gets in or not. The college basketball season is not about PC for me. I wouldn’t vote for PC to go to the tournament if I was on the committee even if they were undefeated, because fuck them. But back here in reality what I care about is URI getting into the tournament - and at the beginning of the night Georgetown was bubble competition and PC wasn’t. Whether PC gets onto the bubble or not isn’t the key for me - if they get past URI in terms of position for a bid then URI has shit the bed.
100% agreed...I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now. While URI's margin for error is thinner than PC's, a bid is URI's to lose regardless of what PC does. If they keep winning, they'll be in. They can play their way in, or out of a bid, but if the season ended today they'd be safely in (by safely I mean seeded above the first four territory). Losing will drop them down. So win - one game at a time. Call the cliche police because they all apply.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I want URI in the NCAA Tournament
I don’t want PC in the NCAA Tournament, or the NIT, CBI, CIT, YMCA, CYO .....

I can easily focus on both

If URI gets in the NCAA Tournament and PC does not then I am elated
If URI gets in and PC gets in too then it’s bittersweet
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago I want URI in the NCAA Tournament

See the bittersweet thing I don't get. If URI gets in that's all that should matter. This just feeds into that "little brother" syndrome. I like this thing we've got going where both teams get in and PC loses, that part is fun to me. Would be nice if Rhody could make it to a second weekend while PC loses, that's the dream.

For URI to get in, we unfortunately need PC to be an NIT team at least. We don't have the luxury of playing in a conference that understands you need to have good teams play each other instead of just supporting some weak hangers-on. So because of that we need to take whatever good win we can get.

Beating a good PC team helps URI get into the NCAA.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

See the bittersweet thing I don't get. If URI gets in that's all that should matter. This just feeds into that "little brother" syndrome. I like this thing we've got going where both teams get in and PC loses, that part is fun to me. Would be nice if Rhody could make it to a second weekend while PC loses, that's the dream.

For URI to get in, we unfortunately need PC to be an NIT team at least. We don't have the luxury of playing in a conference that understands you need to have good teams play each other instead of just supporting some weak hangers-on. So because of that we need to take whatever good win we can get.

And by a good PC team, I hope you / we all mean the number 1 NIT seed. :D
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So suppose URI loses several games the next few weeks and does not get in, but PC does. Are you happy PC goes, ambivalent or disgusted?

I’d be disgusted. I’d be happy if PC also didn’t get in.

I’m not alone in my disgust for PC. There are many other here, plus there are even more on the PC Board that can’t stand URI.

It’s a rivalry.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

So suppose URI loses several games the next few weeks and does not get in, but PC does. Are you happy PC goes, ambivalent or disgusted?

I’m not alone in my disgust for PC. There are many other here, plus there are even more on the PC Board that can’t stand URI.

It’s a rivalry.
Sure, it's a rivalry. I'll root for the interests of my own house before I root for your house. Sorry. But I think there is also self-reflective perspective which I think some of these people are talking about. For instance in 2017, URI winning the A10 Tournament knocked PC from being an 11 seed facing the 6 seed and pushed PC into a play-in game against USC. Sure, that sucked. But I blame PC more for putting themselves in the position to land there than I did URI for taking care of their business and stealing that spot. People aren't wrong for worrying more about what they are doing, than crying about what their rival has done.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It’s a rivalry.
This example makes no sense in the context of this discussion. Your hypothetical isn’t an edge case where it is a close call - I think every single URI fan, whatever they think of PC, would be disgusted and devastated if this happened. I’ll even go as far as saying that if URI gets in, I’d prefer PC doesn’t get in so we get that shine to ourselves. But if PC rallies and makes it, it won’t diminish my enjoyment of URI’s season by an iota. The reality right now is that PC is still mathematically alive but is a long shot to make the tournament, and as of today URI would be in the field. A PC win last night helps URI in multiple ways - it helps with URI’s metrics/resume and it hurts another team URI is in more direct competition with for a bid/seed. Since my primary concern is URI and not PC, I’ll regard their win as a good thing rather than twist myself up imagining very unlikely nightmare scenarios that get marginally more likely as a result of their win.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PC now on Lunardi’s first four out, time for them to starting losing...
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

For URI to get in, we unfortunately need PC to be an NIT team at least. We don't have the luxury of playing in a conference that understands you need to have good teams play each other instead of just supporting some weak hangers-on. So because of that we need to take whatever good win we can get. .

Yet again I agree in Blue Man. URI getting into the tournament is all that matters. If that involves PC also getting in, so what? 2017 and 2018 were great and fun seasons that had nothing to do with whether PC got in (other than it was an NCAA team they played that year). What PC did that year had no effect on my enjoyment of making the tournament and winning a game (nearly 2 in 2017). I don't understand why it matters unless the two play each other.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

It’s a rivalry.
Sure, it's a rivalry. I'll root for the interests of my own house before I root for your house. Sorry. But I think there is also self-reflective perspective which I think some of these people are talking about. For instance in 2017, URI winning the A10 Tournament knocked PC from being an 11 seed facing the 6 seed and pushed PC into a play-in game against USC. Sure, that sucked. But I blame PC more for putting themselves in the position to land there than I did URI for taking care of their business and stealing that spot. People aren't wrong for worrying more about what they are doing, than crying about what their rival has done.
Not really relevant to your point, but I felt the committee got that wrong. I thought Marquette was the team if memory serves that should have moved to the First Four. I thought PC's resume and record were slightly better.

That said, your point is well taken. URI did what they needed to do. It's not their fault PC got put down to the first four, it's PC's. Just like if this season, PC knocks URI out, that's URI's fault for not winning the games they need to down the stretch.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

With TP on the PC discussion.

I too dislike the whole of PC, the campus sucks, the education is small, lackluster, the goof balls that graduate from there act like they are Ivy league, like it's some great academic institution. I could go on and on with examples of fool things I've heard come from their fool mouths.

And I root for them to win every game that isn't vs. URI. It's simple and I know you all get this, but they play us once and then a bunch of other good teams we otherwise don't play, the more they win the better our metrics and the metrics of our entire league.

Also the better they are the more it helps keep our whole region relevant in the world of CBB. I get the local bias and the national bias which favors the BEast, so we just have to keep being better than them, always, every year. Worrying that they could steal our bubble spot this year, is worrying we don't finish strong. Let them make noise, let them get on the bubble, if we rise to the occasion it doesn't matter and if we don't we don't deserve an invite.
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

For me, I root for PC outside of the URI game only if we come out on top in our head to head matchup. It's much easier because no matter how good of a season PC has we still hold the trump card by beating them head to head.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

It’s a rivalry.
This example makes no sense in the context of this discussion. Your hypothetical isn’t an edge case where it is a close call - I think every single URI fan, whatever they think of PC, would be disgusted and devastated if this happened. I’ll even go as far as saying that if URI gets in, I’d prefer PC doesn’t get in so we get that shine to ourselves. But if PC rallies and makes it, it won’t diminish my enjoyment of URI’s season by an iota. The reality right now is that PC is still mathematically alive but is a long shot to make the tournament, and as of today URI would be in the field. A PC win last night helps URI in multiple ways - it helps with URI’s metrics/resume and it hurts another team URI is in more direct competition with for a bid/seed. Since my primary concern is URI and not PC, I’ll regard their win as a good thing rather than twist myself up imagining very unlikely nightmare scenarios that get marginally more likely as a result of their win.
No you are wrong. PC is not a long shot to make the Tournament, they are on the bubble. As of today URI is in the field but not by much. There are a lot of important games to be played. A lot can and will change.

PC
NET 51
RPI 51
Ken Pom 54
BPI 60
Sagarin 43

URI
NET 31
RPI 18
Ken Pom 43
BPI 52
Sagarin 46
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

For URI to get in, we unfortunately need PC to be an NIT team at least. We don't have the luxury of playing in a conference that understands you need to have good teams play each other instead of just supporting some weak hangers-on. So because of that we need to take whatever good win we can get. .

Yet again I agree in Blue Man. URI getting into the tournament is all that matters. If that involves PC also getting in, so what? 2017 and 2018 were great and fun seasons that had nothing to do with whether PC got in (other than it was an NCAA team they played that year). What PC did that year had no effect on my enjoyment of making the tournament and winning a game (nearly 2 in 2017). I don't understand why it matters unless the two play each other.
But it’s ok for and Blue Man and TP to think that way.

I have no problem with that.

But it does mean I have to think the same way? Does it? I want PC to lose every game in every sport. I don’t expect others to go that same way. In fact I would expect I’m one of a small minority. It does not diminish my love and passion for URI, not at all.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

But it does mean I have to think the same way? Does it? I want PC to lose every game in every sport. I don’t expect others to go that same way. In fact I would expect I’m one of a small minority. It does not diminish my love and passion for URI, not at all.
I have no problem if you want to root against PC or hate them or whatever. All I'm saying is I frankly don't waste my energy on them or really any other team. I'll watch URI first, A10 games second, then whatever other random game on espn/cbssn/nbcsn, or whatever other station that is on that night. What PC does other than the yearly game vs. URI is of little interest to me. All that said, if I still lived in RI and had to see and listen to people every day talk about them and disparage URI while at it, then my tune would be different. Being nearly 20 years away from that, changed my perspective.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have no problem if you want to root against PC or hate them or whatever. All I'm saying is I frankly don't waste my energy on them or really any other team. I'll watch URI first, A10 games second, then whatever other random game on espn/cbssn/nbcsn, or whatever other station that is on that night. What PC does other than the yearly game vs. URI is of little interest to me. All that said, if I still lived in RI and had to see and listen to people every day talk about them and disparage URI while at it, then my tune would be different. Being nearly 20 years away from that, changed my perspective.
That a good reason, being gone 20 years

As I said, it’s fine by me if people even want to root for PC, just let me dispose them for all the reasons I do.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

No you are wrong. PC is not a long shot to make the Tournament, they are on the bubble. As of today URI is in the field but not by much. There are a lot of important games to be played. A lot can and will change.

PC
NET 51
RPI 51
Ken Pom 54
BPI 60
Sagarin 43

URI
NET 31
RPI 18
Ken Pom 43
BPI 52
Sagarin 46
ramster, what facts do you have to support “URI is in the field but not by much” and PC is “on the bubble”? It seems you are insinuating the two teams are close to one another regarding making the Tournament. They are 20 places apart in NET which is the only index used. Bracket Matrix has URI as the 34th team and PC as the 9th team out. There are 12 at large teams after URI so that puts them 22 at large spots ahead of PC based on 116 brackets.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

PC
NET 51
RPI 51
Ken Pom 54
BPI 60
Sagarin 43

URI
NET 31
RPI 18
Ken Pom 43
BPI 52
Sagarin 46
ramster, what facts do you have to support “URI is in the field but not by much” and PC is “on the bubble”? It seems you are insinuating the two teams are close to one another regarding making the Tournament. They are 20 places apart in NET which is the only index used. Bracket Matrix has URI as the 34th team and PC as the 9th team out. There are 12 at large teams after URI so that puts them 22 at large spots ahead of PC based on 116 brackets.
Just to add to this, URI is on 114 brackets and pc is on 1 on Bracket Matrix. pc has some anchors on their neck and it's gonna take a lot to get above water.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UConn comes back to force OT AT Temple
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Northern Iowa with a second straight loss, they’ve been on the bubble, so that helps.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago UConn comes back to force OT AT Temple
What a game. Monty Scott hits the 3 to tie. 16 seconds to go Hurley calls their last time out.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Northern Iowa with a second straight loss, they’ve been on the bubble, so that helps.
They had an NET rank of #39 before this game. Indiana State had been #109 and with the win is 14- 11 (D1 only). N Iowa is a bubble team if they do not win the MVC Tournament. Keep in mind that Illinois State had a great record just a few years ago but did not win the MVC Arch Madness Tournament and was not awarded an at large. They were the big snub that season and the committee used their weak schedule as a defense for keeping them out.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

uconn loses. F uconn.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What a game. Monty Scott hits the 3 to tie. 16 seconds to go Hurley calls their last time out.
93-89 UConn loses at Temple in double OT

Hurley has that team playing very well considering all the injury issues.

I would not count out Hurley in the AAC Tournament
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

93-89 UConn loses at Temple in double OT

Hurley has that team playing very well considering all the injury issues.

I would count out Hurley in the AAC Tournament
F uconn.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ramster...curious what you would root for in this scenario...assume PC is safely in and URI has the last spot. URI is already eliminated from the A10 tourney, but PC is playing for the NBE championship against a team that is out of the tourney unless they win that game (thus taking URI's spot). Do you root for PC so URI is in or do you root against PC because you would never want them to win?

just trying to figure out if you are a bigger URI fan or PC hater.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

#25 Ohio State loses. They will probably drop from the rankings.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes good that Ohio St loses and Northern Iowa loses also helps , they may need that auto bid now
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Decent PAC 12 bubble games for us tonight.

USC loses, Arizona St wins.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

USC losing is good but didn’t we want ASU to lose ??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yes, that’s why I only said decent. Coulda been better, but also coulda been worse.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like this thing we've got going where both teams get in and PC loses, that part is fun to me. Would be nice if Rhody could make it to a second weekend while PC loses, that's the dream.

This stuff. The best possible scenario is we hammer them every time, and they beat everyone else. But the 'both in, we win, they lose' thing is pointing in the right direction towards ideal.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

USC loses.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Watching San Fran and Gonzaga right now and there is no play by play guy!

Just Frachilla and Jimmy Dykes. No generic color commentary with a fancy voice. Its just two guys who know hoops. I like it!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 years ago Yes good that Ohio St loses and Northern Iowa loses also helps , they may need that auto bid now
It’s good for all the other bubble teams if they at least think they need to win their conference tournament. Just don’t want them to go into knowing they’re in and ceding the tournament to another team to save gas for the big dance.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Watching San Fran and Gonzaga right now and there is no play by play guy!

Just Frachilla and Jimmy Dykes. No generic color commentary with a fancy voice. Its just two guys who know hoops. I like it!
Interesting...I've watched for a couple minutes and they have not described or discussed the specific action on the court...just hoops conversation...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago Watching San Fran and Gonzaga right now and there is no play by play guy!

Interesting...I've watched for a couple minutes and they have not described or discussed the specific action on the court...just hoops conversation...

Yeah they havent pointed out the obvious like the play by play guys do.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Arizona State with a nice win over #14 Oregon. ASU NET at 47

A San Francisco upset of Gonzaga would move Dayton up a notch in AP Poll. Unusual only 2 FT attempt in first 25 minutes of the game so far.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good win for Other Hurls tonight.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only one game on Friday in the A-10:

VCU at Saint Louis, 9 PM. On ESPN2.

In games involving URI OOC opponents :

St. Peter's at Manhattan, 7 PM. On ESPN3.

Brown at Columbia, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Long Island U. at Fairleigh Dickinson, 8 PM.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In today's bubble games

Fourth to last bye USC at #18 Colorado at 9 on ESPN2
Third to last bye Wichita State vs South Florida at 7 on CBSSN
Fifth out Stanford at Washington at 10
USC loses 70-66
Wichita State wins 65-55
Stanford wins 72-64

Bubble teams are 73-66
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago ramster...curious what you would root for in this scenario...assume PC is safely in and URI has the last spot. URI is already eliminated from the A10 tourney, but PC is playing for the NBE championship against a team that is out of the tourney unless they win that game (thus taking URI's spot). Do you root for PC so URI is in or do you root against PC because you would never want them to win?

I'd have to root for PC :o :o
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago ramster...curious what you would root for in this scenario...assume PC is safely in and URI has the last spot. URI is already eliminated from the A10 tourney, but PC is playing for the NBE championship against a team that is out of the tourney unless they win that game (thus taking URI's spot). Do you root for PC so URI is in or do you root against PC because you would never want them to win?

huzzah!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

PC
NET 51
RPI 51
Ken Pom 54
BPI 60
Sagarin 43

URI
NET 31
RPI 18
Ken Pom 43
BPI 52
Sagarin 46

I'm basically reacting to this earlier statement........
The reality right now is that PC is still mathematically alive but is a long shot to make the tournament, and as of today URI would be in the field.

I do not think PC is "a long shot and mathematically alive." I think the way Diallo, Young, White and even Pipkins in spurts are playing that they have a fair to good shot to make the Tournament. Obviously I would not want that :roll:
PC plays 4 more games with NET's of 23,13,40,74.
URI plays 5 more games with NET's of 83,275,80,6,159

Depending upon what happens in the next two weeks is huge. The gap of 20 between URI NET 31 and PC NET 51 is quite small compared to the advantage PC has in playing 4 Teams with NETs between 13 and 74 vs URI playing 5 Teams with NETs between 6 and 275

A Loss by URI to Fordham and/or UMASS with both games on the road would be devastating to URIs NET.

PC is now 4th in the BE with a record of (8-6) The BE is ranked the best Conference right now. BE will most definitely put in more than 4 teams
PC with 4 Remaining Games/NET:
Marquette NET 23
@ Villanova NET 13
Xavier NET 40
Depaul NET 74

URI with 5 Remaining Games/NET:
@ Davidson NET 83
@ Fordham NET 275
SLU NET 80
Dayton NET 6
UMASS NET 159
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I know that was hard for you. Please relax the rest of the day. 😉
1 x