2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/22 | Davidson | 5:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

There are 5 games left. I know, for a long time, during the winning streak, it was "must win" for every game. Concentrate on the next game. But this is the end of the season.

I like to think of this as a best of 5 series. You win 3 games, you get the at large bid. And, the beauty of this is, it really doesn't matter which 3 games. You win 4 games, you can lower your seeding. You lose 3 games, and you are likely out.

So, all emphasis should be on winning this next game. Then you only need 2 of 4 left. Win that game, you only need to win 1 more.

Win all three, it really doesn't matter what happens with Dayton and UMass, you are playing with house money, and everything from that point is gravy, absolutely no pressure, etc. Can play loose, and just go out there and take your best shot at Dayton on your home floor.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Shut down Grady and make JAG try to beat us on his own.

Harris guards the best post player in the beginning of games. We need this. It keeps CL our of foul trouble and he’s better with help defense as is. Let Cox coach the team. He knows what he’s doing.
Absolutely. Especially at this point of the season. I’ve talked to a member of the coaching staff not long ago and they most definitely know of Jermaines strengths and opportunities for improvement.
Let the staff coach and sit back and enjoy the ride. It’s been a great season so far.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Watching the St. Joe's comeback, it proved that Davidson is soft and only focuses on offense. I can't count how many times a Joe's player drove right by their guy and had an open run up to the hoop. Davidson out there giving it their best Roger Dorn defense...

4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Warren Nolan has us losing by a point at Davidson and finishing 22-8. Squarely on the bubble. We have got to prove him wrong and finish at least 23-7. Then we should be in good shape for an at large bid.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago There are 5 games left. I know, for a long time, during the winning streak, it was "must win" for every game. Concentrate on the next game. But this is the end of the season.

I like to think of this as a best of 5 series. You win 3 games, you get the at large bid. And, the beauty of this is, it really doesn't matter which 3 games. You win 4 games, you can lower your seeding. You lose 3 games, and you are likely out.

So, all emphasis should be on winning this next game. Then you only need 2 of 4 left. Win that game, you only need to win 1 more.

Win all three, it really doesn't matter what happens with Dayton and UMass, you are playing with house money, and everything from that point is gravy, absolutely no pressure, etc. Can play loose, and just go out there and take your best shot at Dayton on your home floor.
I partially agree. I think it matters who the 2 losses are to. If they are in the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio, then they are probably safe, but if they lose to UMass and Fordham, do the wins over the other 3 make up for that? I would be sweating it out on Selection Sunday in that case, even if they got to the A10 Finals.

4-1, I think they are in no matter what. Either that 1 loss is to Dayton, or they beat Dayton and that's a huge Q1 victory.

But like you say, win the next game, then it becomes a 4 game series, then win, and 3 games, etc.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......really, really hope the UMass game does not come down to a gotta win to be “in”.......do not want to go there with they being able to win and then keep us “out”.......TCB before UMass.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I partially agree. I think it matters who the 2 losses are to. If they are in the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio, then they are probably safe, but if they lose to UMass and Fordham, do the wins over the other 3 make up for that? I would be sweating it out on Selection Sunday in that case, even if they got to the A10 Finals.

4-1, I think they are in no matter what. Either that 1 loss is to Dayton, or they beat Dayton and that's a huge Q1 victory.

But like you say, win the next game, then it becomes a 4 game series, then win, and 3 games, etc.
I apologize if my posts read like the "all knowing Omniscient Oz". They are just opinions. I think, in this case, mathematically, if you explore what it would take to get 3 wins, IF you lose to Fordham, I think URI would still get the at large bid.

Losing to Fordham would mean:

Beating: Davidson, St. Louis, Dayton
Beating: Davidson, St. Louis, UMass
Beating: St. Louis, Dayton, UMass
Beating: Davidson, Dayton, Umass

to get three wins. So, since Fordham theoretically should be the easiest win to get, and a lot does hinge on making that reality, the task becomes so much more intense and difficult to get three wins at that point if you lose to Fordham, that I think a 22-8 record, 14-4 in the A-10, most likely at least tied for 2nd place still, even with the weakest combination, which would be the one that doesn't include Dayton, second one down, still gets the at large bid.

Like I said, a lot is hinging on this next game, and the game in the Bronx. Lose those two, you now have to sweep the last three, not impossible, but not probable.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Davidson NET dropped to 81
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Davidson NET dropped to 81
I'm surprised it only dropped 4 points.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

that's not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. losing at home to us wouldn't hurt much more. then they would still have at dayton, at richmond and vcu home...win two of those three (preferably richmond and vcu) and they could get back to 75???
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago There are 5 games left. I know, for a long time, during the winning streak, it was "must win" for every game. Concentrate on the next game. But this is the end of the season.

I partially agree. I think it matters who the 2 losses are to. If they are in the Davidson/Dayton/SLU trio, then they are probably safe, but if they lose to UMass and Fordham, do the wins over the other 3 make up for that? I would be sweating it out on Selection Sunday in that case, even if they got to the A10 Finals.

THINK 7 SEED, I DO
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Reflecting back to January, I think even if we had won the Brown game we would be having this same conversation.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Reflecting back to January, I think even if we had won the Brown game we would be having this same conversation.
It would be very interesting to know how much that Brown loss is really weighing us down. With it, the committee, and anyone else can point to it as a bad loss, without any eye popping wins (yes, sweeping VCU was eye-popping at the time, but will the committee remember it that way?). Without it, they will say, many very good, but no GREAT wins, but no bad losses either. Let's face it, for our resume, we want Richmond to keep winning enough to have just one more loss than us, to keep that loss in the "good loss" or at least "not a bad loss" category, but without them catching us for 2nd place.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Reflecting back to January, I think even if we had won the Brown game we would be having this same conversation.
It would be very interesting to know how much that Brown loss is really weighing us down. With it, the committee, and anyone else can point to it as a bad loss, without any eye popping wins (yes, sweeping VCU was eye-popping at the time, but will the committee remember it that way?). Without it, they will say, many very good, but no GREAT wins, but no bad losses either. Let's face it, for our resume, we want Richmond to keep winning enough to have just one more loss than us, to keep that loss in the "good loss" or at least "not a bad loss" category, but without them catching us for 2nd place.

Yeah I want Richmond to win out so they have a chance to make the dance.

I wouldn't care if we were both 15-3 and they got the two seed. We would still likely play them in the semifinal for a Q1 opportunity and revenge.

I think if we had beaten Brown our NET would be in the 20's. Maybe the difference in a seed line. 20-5 overall.
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I'm surprised it only dropped 4 points.
Me too. I figured a loss like that could knock you down 15-18 spots easily even at this time of year
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I wouldn't care if we were both 15-3 and they got the two seed. We would still likely play them in the semifinal for a Q1 opportunity and revenge.

I think if we had beaten Brown our NET would be in the 20's. Maybe the difference in a seed line. 20-5 overall.
Agree with all this. I guess we can look back to the Brown game, but I think all of us would have taken only two loses at this point in conference. I also could care less about the 2 or 3 seed. I hope Richmond wins there games also. If we take care of business it doesn’t matter what others do. The best scenario would be to get in with an 11 seed without playing in Dayton. This would give us a great opportunity to win a couple games. It might be to close to stomach though.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RamsRamsRams wrote: 4 years ago I’m guessing Coach Cox is already breaking down the film. St. Joe’s provided a blueprint to victory.
To be fair to Davidson - going to be tough to win any game, no matter your lead, when your opponent hits like 80% of their 3's in the 2nd half.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

After we lost to Brown I would have thought going 15-3 in conference was a pipe dream and now it’s a real possibility

I still think 14-4 and a win in the quarters and we will be in most likely
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago

Agree with all this. I guess we can look back to the Brown game, but I think all of us would have taken only two loses at this point in conference. I also could care less about the 2 or 3 seed. I hope Richmond wins there games also. If we take care of business it doesn’t matter what others do. The best scenario would be to get in with an 11 seed without playing in Dayton. This would give us a great opportunity to win a couple games. It might be to close to stomach though.
I'm pretty sure the 3 seed has the last quarter final game, while the 2 seed has the first game of the late session. So it's of some advantage to play at 6pm as opposed to around 8:30pm, then if you win, turn around and play at 3:30ish the next afternoon. For that alone I'd much rather be the 2. So I want URI to both have enough wins to be safe before the A10 tourney AND have Richmond win as much as possible to get them a bid, but still be one game behind URI in the loss column. I'm not sure if this is possible, but that's what I want in order to give the A10 3 bids, while keeping URI in 2nd.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I want Richmond to lose as we may be competing with them for a bid.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago

THINK 7 SEED, I DO
Then...go Friars...right?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago

THINK 7 SEED, I DO
Then...go Friars...right?
errr, no.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Looks like Hassan was in town today and practicing with the team as they prep for Davidson this weekend. You love to see it.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Hassan was in town today and practicing with the team as they prep for Davidson this weekend. You love to see it.
Pics of Hass working with Cyril and Jacob. What a benefit. Rhody love to Hass.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Giving the team a week off at this point in the season should not be overlooked.

Very smart move by the staff.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago Giving the team a week off at this point in the season should not be overlooked.

Did our staff have anything to do with it though?

Wasnt it the A-10 schedule makers?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago Giving the team a week off at this point in the season should not be overlooked.

I believe it was the bye week for URI as scheduled by the A10. Not sure how much, if any, say A10 teams have in scheduling
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Some greats pics with Hass at practice working with the bigs.

0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I want Richmond to lose as we may be competing with them for a bid.
this is very true, there is no way the a-10 is a one bid league this year
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago I want Richmond to lose as we may be competing with them for a bid.
I think he means 1 bid in addition to the auto bid that goes to the A10 Tournament Winner making the A10 a 2 bid league
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

I believe it was the bye week for URI as scheduled by the A10. Not sure how much, if any, say A10 teams have in scheduling
Our staff didn’t choose to have the bye week at the end of the year or any other week for that matter. The scheduling isn’t easy with all the different teams in the conference and factors that might be involved like venues in use for concerts or other events. They aren’t going to go school to school and say what works for you.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I think he means 1 bid in addition to the auto bid that goes to the A10 Tournament Winner making the A10 a 2 bid league
The A10 will be a 3 bid league. Said it before. Maybe 4 with a bid steal.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I hope you are right and until VCU started playing their way off the bubble I thought there was a reasonable path to 4 teams. Now it will take a miracle for 4 bids and a lot of work for 3.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

I hope you are right and until VCU started playing their way off the bubble I thought there was a reasonable path to 4 teams. Now it will take a miracle for 4 bids and a lot of work for 3.
Richmond took over VCU for an at large at the moment. But yeah, the A10 is strong this year.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think good chance for 3 bids highly unlikely for 4
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Just. Keep. Winning.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steviep123
Sly Williams

I think at this point the most likely path for the 4 is for VCU, URI, and Richmond to all keep winning, and that still might not be enough. Let's say the all win the rest of their games (I don't think any of them play each other). That makes URI 16-2 (25-6), UR (15-3, 25-6), and VCU (12-6, 22-9) pre A10 tourney. That would mean Dayton and URI are locks, and UR is probably in as well. From there it is a matter of how many A10 Tourney wins VCU needs (or if them or another team wins the A10).

That said, as much as it would help the A10 get a 3rd bid, I'm rooting against them tomorrow. Richmond's schedule the rest of the way is relatively easy and at SBU is their best chance for a loss. That combined with a Rhody win would give them a 2 game lead in the loss column over Richmond and a 1 1/2 game lead overall (counting Rhody's loss to Richmond earlier).
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

this game is HUGE tomorrow

MUST WIN

a win here and coupled w/ a bonnies win vs richmond would be huge !

tomorrow is HUGE

if things break right we can crack the top 25 and have a stronghold on the ncaa

7th SEED or BUST
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I think at this point the most likely path for the 4 is for VCU, URI, and Richmond to all keep winning, and that still might not be enough. Let's say the all win the rest of their games (I don't think any of them play each other). That makes URI 16-2 (25-6), UR (15-3, 25-6), and VCU (12-6, 22-9) pre A10 tourney. That would mean Dayton and URI are locks, and UR is probably in as well. From there it is a matter of how many A10 Tourney wins VCU needs (or if them or another team wins the A10).

That said, as much as it would help the A10 get a 3rd bid, I'm rooting against them tomorrow. Richmond's schedule the rest of the way is relatively easy and at SBU is their best chance for a loss. That combined with a Rhody win would give them a 2 game lead in the loss column over Richmond and a 1 1/2 game lead overall (counting Rhody's loss to Richmond earlier).
I cant get behind wanting Richmond to lose.

It would be best if they won out and got in the tournament.

I dont really see the big deal about the 2 seed.

Is it the 9 o'clock start that we are worried about?

Its either going to be the 2 seed or the 3 seed for us and Richmond. So wouldn't we want to face the strongest Richmond team possible in the semifinals, so that we can have the chance to pick up another quality win that would help us either get in, or move up a seed.

I also think VCU is probably in, if they win out and beat Dayton in the semis.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I think at this point the most likely path for the 4 is for VCU, URI, and Richmond to all keep winning, and that still might not be enough. Let's say the all win the rest of their games (I don't think any of them play each other). That makes URI 16-2 (25-6), UR (15-3, 25-6), and VCU (12-6, 22-9) pre A10 tourney. That would mean Dayton and URI are locks, and UR is probably in as well. From there it is a matter of how many A10 Tourney wins VCU needs (or if them or another team wins the A10).

Its either going to be the 2 seed or the 3 seed for us and Richmond. So wouldn't we want to face the strongest Richmond team possible in the semifinals, so that we can have the chance to pick up another quality win that would help us either get in, or move up a seed.

I don't want to give the committee any reason to choose UR over us.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

you want richmond to win ?

don't understand that logic whatsoever

new rule - just listen to what i say and ride my coattails :)

CUT SPIDEY BAIT
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I don't want to give the committee any reason to choose UR over us.
But that wont happen if we both take care of business because we will both be very much in.

If we are at the point where UR takes our bid then both of us have pretty much fell apart.

If it came down to it there is a better chance some power conference team would take our bid anyways.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No doubt that this is a critical game for URI. A win there tomorrow would make things a lot more comfortable for the final stretch. A loss and Rhody will tumble to one of the last teams in the field with some tough games still to go.

URI needs to really defend well, especially the three. They can't let them get into a shooting rhythm as this team can get hot (see vs Fordham and SBU and first half vs SJU). They held Davidson to 36.5% (23-63) from the field and just 17.4% (4-23) in the earlier 11 point win in Kingston. Rhode Island needs to exploit its athleticism and physicality advantage over the Wildcats.

I will feel a whole lot better about prospects for a happy season conclusion tomorrow at 8pm if Rhody is coming off a win. Does not matter by how much. Just find a way to get it done.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

May the force be with us = May the refs call it even.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

wgracie99 wrote: 4 years ago May the force be with us = May the refs call it even.

May the Wildcats miss a bunch of threes.
1 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Davidson shoots much better at home so I dont expect them to shoot 4-23 like they shot at the Ryan Center. I'm more concerned with the back door cuts they run which we do not really defend well. Hyunjung Lee is a player who can give us trouble, especially is Tyrese guards him. We are more physical and athletic,but so are most teams that face Davidson, they dont win if they dont shoot the 3 well and we defend the 3 well so hoping for a big time effort and W.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

LONGEST. BYE. WEEK. EVER.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Davidson has won 4 straight games at home

They have only lost 1 game at home this season, that being 70-64 loss to Richmond on January 14th

Davidson is a tough out on their home court
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Here's what we need to do:
-- Don't bite on fakes.
-- Switch every screen -- fighting through makes it easy for them to run their misdirection cuts and get open.
-- Don't collapse on penetration -- their system helps ballhandlers find open men for layups.
-- Guard the corners.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.