2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Spook
Abdul Fox

Re: 2018 - 2019 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by Spook »

Those two ingredients are necessary but with a dumpster fire of a culture and coach without a clue you’re not winning anything
0 x
kipstreeter
Jim Eitner

Unread post by kipstreeter »

True
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Megan Shoniker has been listed on Go Rhody website..

Head Coach- Tami Reiss
Associate Head Coach- Adeniyi Amadou
Assistant Coach- Megan Shoniker
Assistant Coach- TBA
Director of Basketball Operations- Cory Macchioni
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Bon Voyage
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Narr9999 »

Good Luck Marcus at Bryant and thanks for your years at URI. Many seem to want to kick you on the way out the door, but not I and those that know you well
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Marcus is a class act but Coach Reiss chose to bring in people that are more in line with her coaching philosophy. No need to read anything more into it. It is a typical coaching practice. Marcus is a native Rhode Islander with many ties to family and friends in the area and Bryant was a great landing spot that will prove mutually beneficial to both him and the Bryant Women's program.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I put a lot of stock into the insights of Cameron_Dollar...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago Marcus is a class act but Coach Reiss chose to bring in people that are more in line with her coaching philosophy. No need to read anything more into it. It is a typical coaching practice. Marcus is a native Rhode Islander with many ties to family and friends in the area and Bryant was a great landing spot that will prove mutually beneficial to both him and the Bryant Women's program.
I couldn't agree with you more Cameron. You have to expect a new coach to bring in their own people. I just wanted to thank him for his time and commitment to the URI program and to wish him good luck. At least he doesn't have to move out of state and up root the family
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The beginning of the French Invasion
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago Marcus is a class act but Coach Reiss chose to bring in people that are more in line with her coaching philosophy. No need to read anything more into it. It is a typical coaching practice. Marcus is a native Rhode Islander with many ties to family and friends in the area and Bryant was a great landing spot that will prove mutually beneficial to both him and the Bryant Women's program.
Marcus is a nice guy. But at the end of the day he chose to be a puppet for Darth Dania. This goes so far beyond winning and losing and the incompetence of the last coaching regime. Lines were blurred and crossed and the kids suffered and payed the price! Something should have been done much sooner and that a change was finally made does not excuse the mess that was left by the previous regime. That being said , What a difference Tammy has made in such a short time at the helm. She seems like she knows exactly what she is doing and I am hoping she can right this rhody ship.
0 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

Lot's of angry ex-players on this thread. Can't blame them. Any word on any new additions that can play this year?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Well, I'm not angry, but I should be ready to go by the time the season starts.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

All in,
You seem to have access to inside information that the rest of us don't. I'm envious of your connections but I hope you will continue to share during the upcoming season. Most of us common folk, don't really get all the juicy tidbits going on behind the scenes. In defense of Marcus and all other assistant coaches, they serve at the pleasure of the head coach and would never go over his or her head unless there were blatant rule violations. Additionally, the AD would in almost all cases never entertain complaints from an assistant. That is true in most programs. The team was selfish, undisciplined and led the country in technical fouls. Players need to take some responsibility for that as well.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Didn't know about the techs. That's not a good look
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago All in,
You seem to have access to inside information that the rest of us don't. I'm envious of your connections but I hope you will continue to share during the upcoming season. Most of us common folk, don't really get all the juicy tidbits going on behind the scenes. In defense of Marcus and all other assistant coaches, they serve at the pleasure of the head coach and would never go over his or her head unless there were blatant rule violations. Additionally, the AD would in almost all cases never entertain complaints from an assistant. That is true in most programs. The team was selfish, undisciplined and led the country in technical fouls. Players need to take some responsibility for that as well.
Except that there were blatant violations.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

And you know this how? And where do you assign the blame?
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

What I don't understand is why are these violations and misdeeds not out there at all. I have not heard anything other than the players fighting each other and the coach not being a good coach. I don't have any connections with the program any more and the only person that I knew was Marcus and I never asked him about any issues, because I didn't hear of any and I thought the only issues were the girls playing better, being coached better and winning more games. I have recently spoken to two people who work the men's and women's games, but are not part of either team. They were both happy with the new coach and thought that it was over due for a change. They felt that the former coach wasn't into coaching the team and wasn't doing her job with the girls and they both felt bad for the girls. They both I guess weren't close enough to see or hear of any issues with the team to the extent that people keep talking about or referring to without any evidence. I don't understand why people will come out and say how bad it was with the girl's program, but when asked what are you talking about either they say nothing or that other people know what went on. If you are going to say that shit happened, either tell it or be done with stating things without the facts
2 x
SorrynotSorry
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry »

Laforce was fired with a year left on her contract what more evidence do you need and everybody knew what was going on but afraid of retaliation and still are!!!scholarships worth a lot of $ Nay lassiter spoke up and lost hers
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

Unread post by SorrynotSorry » 30 minutes ago

Laforce was fired with a year left on her contract what more evidence do you need and everybody knew what was going on but afraid of retaliation and still are!!!scholarships worth a lot of $ Nay lassiter spoke up and lost hers

Yes you are right that her record was bad and that it was time for a charge. Many coaches get fired with with bad records every year. The thing here is that many people have said that a lot of bad things went on in the women's program over the last 5 years. I am not doubting that this is true, but I haven't heard of anything and any time any one questions what happened people will not speak. Just would like someone to back up their claims
0 x
RamZone72
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamZone72 »

Let's be real if there was blatant violations going on then they would of been reported and the program would be reprimanded. I don't think Tammi Reiss would of taken the job if there were violations and rules had been broken. With the way things are in women's college basketball these days then no violation regardless of the severeness is going unnoticed. Many coaches are losing their jobs because of different issues, one would of been revealed if that's why Daynia lost her job. She didn't win many games and if you add on the technical fouls and some of the off court issues the girls had then you're probably going to get replaced. Having one year left on your contract and getting fired isn't great evidence. Also from what I was told Nay Lassiter was no angel. She ended up at a Division 2 school. If she got a bad rap combined with her ability then I think she would of been able to transfer to a better school then Southern Connecticut. That's just my opinion
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Narr9999 wrote: 4 years ago Unread post by SorrynotSorry » 30 minutes ago

Yes you are right that her record was bad and that it was time for a charge. Many coaches get fired with with bad records every year. The thing here is that many people have said that a lot of bad things went on in the women's program over the last 5 years. I am doubting that this is true, but I haven't heard of anything and any time any one questions what happened people will not speak. Just would like someone to back up their claims
Specifics have been said, look back through the threads and you will see. Not going to repeat what’s been said by posters in the past. Other specifics simply can’t be brought out. If you can’t believe posters who follow the women’s team very closely then just don’t believe.
Time to move on.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

When a coach has one year left on their contract that is when they typically get fired. No AD is going to allow a coach to go on the recruiting trail as a lame duck. So to echo the comments of others, don't come on here and cast aspersions of those connected with the program and soil their reputations because you heard something from someone who told somebody....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 4 years ago When a coach has one year left on their contract that is when they typically get fired. No AD is going to allow a coach to go on the recruiting trail as a lame duck. So to echo the comments of others, don't come on here and cast aspersions of those connected with the program and soil their reputations because you heard something from someone who told somebody....
You contradict yourself. People are not going to say specifics no matter how much you and others browbeat them. For the exact reasons you say.

Heck, go back and read the Jim Baron comments, or the Jim Baron 2.0 thrashing of Dan Hurley. Loaded with opinions, not necessarily backed with facts.

Again, if you go back over the past couple of seasons you will read plenty, some from players themselves, some from former players, some from relatives of players. Making the change with 1 year remaining because it’s what all ADs do because of recruiting challenges makes sense............but, going for 5 full years of this regime was at least 2 years too long. You will see the significance difference this season and hopefully agree that the change should have been made sooner vs later.
0 x
Narr9999
Abdul Fox

On Jim Baron we heard many times about issues. All coaches you hear many issues, but this time nothing
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Narr9999 wrote: 4 years ago On Jim Baron we heard many times about issues. All coaches you hear many issues, but this time nothing
Just do yourself a favor and read through the posts of this 8 page thread and then see if you still say nothing has been said. You will see posts from players, former players, relatives of players, how players were held out of multiple games with no explanations.........
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

The facts and reality is that Darth Dania was a very poor coach, a miserable leader, and was the primary catalyst for every issue and problem with the team. Yes, not cool to go into specifics as to protect the innocent. Why do you think so many coaches and players came and went? She was literally a psychopath who put on a good front for the public. The devil never wants to be known. Some accountability falls on the # 2 Marcus for not blowing the whistle on Darth Dania but if you want to rationalize that he was protecting his ass then so be it. Know that kids got hurt in the process because of it. Administration also has some explaining to do but politicians usually know survival protocol very well. They let it fester too long. Only saving grace is the nightmare is over and Tammy is the light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

There's been nothing but allegations of favoritism, and just all around "bad-person"-ness.... no specific 'violation' like material
0 x
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

This program was a total shit show and rotted from the top down. What would be the point in naming specific people, specific problems and specific violations? There are multiple people involved with program in some way sighting problems it’s not like it’s one player who did not get minutes is doing it. Blatantly obvious problems were deep and wide. There are also not many left to complain the destruction was so thorough so some specifics are gone.
I went to games it was an embarrassment to our school and disgraceful. The rest doesn’t matter at this point. Here’s a specific if needed-she had no clue how to coach. None.
As for Reiss not taking job if things were so bad, she is going by the Parcels method. It can only go in one direction from here.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Here's to a new era of Rhody Women's Basketball and hope that the posters on these many forums give Coach Reiss the emotional and financial support that is needed to build an elite program in the A10.
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

Spook wrote: 4 years ago This program was a total shit show and rotted from the top down. What would be the point in naming specific people, specific problems and specific violations? There are multiple people involved with program in some way sighting problems it’s not like it’s one player who did not get minutes is doing it. Blatantly obvious problems were deep and wide. There are also not many left to complain the destruction was so thorough so some specifics are gone.
I went to games it was an embarrassment to our school and disgraceful. The rest doesn’t matter at this point. Here’s a specific if needed-she had no clue how to coach. None.
As for Reiss not taking job if things were so bad, she is going by the Parcels method. It can only go in one direction from here.
Excellent Post Frenchy ! You hit it on the head! And dollar not only an elite program in the A10, let’s start something like that state school called UCONN! If you build it, they will come!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Both incoming Freshmen now listed on roster
Kassondra Brown and Brazil Harvey-Carr.......

Article about Brazil Harvey-Carr....

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/art ... d-history/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Should we be talking about new coaches, players, seasons in the new women's basketball thread?

The 18-19 season is closed.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think once the new season gets closer starting theN could go to new thread, if even then. Much of the discussion here involves players and coaches from the past season. When you go to a new thread all of that previous discussion gets lost or at least becomes more cumbersome to refer back to. To me it’s more about when the new schedule comes out and the new official roster is finalized. What’s the rush to change especially when the transition this year has been so news filled and news welcomed by most all? I’d go new thread in September when the new game schedule likely comes out.
Same with all sports, change thread when the new schedule comes out.
0 x
All In
Michael Andersen

Unread post by All In »

All In wrote: 5 years ago I’m on record as saying this is a great hire. She says all the right things. But don’t sell the Rhody team short. They were at worst a .500 ball club and with the right coaching could have been at least middle of the pack to overachieving in our conference. The previous coach did not have a clue. Ran the same stuff for 5 years and the culture just went into the sewer. Felt bad for the good kids who wanted to win. Losing colome may be a blessing in disguise as she did not mesh well with Davida and tended to monopolize the ball. Offense should run through the 6’5 post and everybody eats. Tammy will have this team in tip top shape, ramp up the intensity and defense push the ball in transition and stamp the team as selfless. That alone will get this team to .500, throw in a little sacrifice, discipline, and confidence we could be breathing on the necks of the top dogs. The talent is there. Unleash the kraken!
that post from last year

You all may call me the prophet if you wish. The sad thing is this move should have came three years ago when the signs of team dysfunction and chaos under Darth Dania began to materialize. Wasted two years where we could have at the minimum the kind of season we are having now. Coach Tammy and her staff making all the right moves for the most part. (I would play with the biggest lineup possible and probably mix in some zone to protect some of the weaker defenders on the team but love her commitment to the man defense.) The rest of the year going to be very interesting. Don’t know if we can keep Tammy past five seasons , I see her going to a top 25 program in her future. Scary thing with a couple of breaks and player adjustments we could be even better! Closing in on 3-5 more wins that we could have had. Regardless, tremendous job this year by the coaches and team!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All In wrote: 4 years ago
All In wrote: 5 years ago I’m on record as saying this is a great hire. She says all the right things. But don’t sell the Rhody team short. They were at worst a .500 ball club and with the right coaching could have been at least middle of the pack to overachieving in our conference. The previous coach did not have a clue. Ran the same stuff for 5 years and the culture just went into the sewer. Felt bad for the good kids who wanted to win. Losing colome may be a blessing in disguise as she did not mesh well with Davida and tended to monopolize the ball. Offense should run through the 6’5 post and everybody eats. Tammy will have this team in tip top shape, ramp up the intensity and defense push the ball in transition and stamp the team as selfless. That alone will get this team to .500, throw in a little sacrifice, discipline, and confidence we could be breathing on the necks of the top dogs. The talent is there. Unleash the kraken!
that post from last year

You all may call me the prophet if you wish. The sad thing is this move should have came three years ago when the signs of team dysfunction and chaos under Darth Dania began to materialize. Wasted two years where we could have at the minimum the kind of season we are having now. Coach Tammy and her staff making all the right moves for the most part. (I would play with the biggest lineup possible and probably mix in some zone to protect some of the weaker defenders on the team but love her commitment to the man defense.) The rest of the year going to be very interesting. Don’t know if we can keep Tammy past five seasons , I see her going to a top 25 program in her future. Scary thing with a couple of breaks and player adjustments we could be even better! Closing in on 3-5 more wins that we could have had. Regardless, tremendous job this year by the coaches and team!
You were right about being able to get more from the current roster

Jorgensen with 3 A10 Player of the Week Awards - because we are leveraging her talents minimizing fouls. Passing the Ball inside. More passing, more team ball, less dribble drive and much more defensive pressure

She has also gotten more out of Dale and made her the PG when Marta unfortunately got injured. Playing Dale 40 minutes per game.
Getting solid play from Junior Erin Jones who has become part of get Big 3 of Jones, Jorgensen and Dale.

Getting solid play from Junior Meghan Oberg who is playing big minutes off the bench and passes and rebounds the ball well.
Lose Dale and Jorgensen to graduation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like we have an up and comer here

Has the women’s team ever danced ???

I also think she gets this team either to the dance or close to it and then leaves for a P5 enjoy the ride
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We did once in the mid to late 90's, I believe it was 96. They have a banner for it up in the rafters, but it's obscured by the other banners up there
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago We did once in the mid to late 90's, I believe it was 96. They have a banner for it up in the rafters, but it's obscured by the other banners up there
That's correct. They lost in the first round to Oklahoma State (90-82) and had their best record in history of 21-8. Hopefully this new coaching staff shatters this record many times over.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”