Jeff Dowtin appreciation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Jeff Dowtin appreciation

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Appreciate the rest of this season with Jeff. He is a one of a kind. What an impact he had had.

Watch the video in this tweet to realize his basketball knowledge.

4 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Jeff Dowtin appreciation

Unread post by Rhody83 »

From ESPN analysts Mike O’Donnell:
Jeff Dowtin has one of the best analytical hoops minds I’ve ever seen. He can remember exact plays from weeks ago.
3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think he has been a really underrated guy these last 4 years.

He has been great from day 1.

He is right up there with Hassan, EC, and Jared Terrell as the most pivotal players in this program's turn around.

He was our PG on those two NCAA teams. Playing great D. Taking care of the ball. Finding open guys. Scoring when we needed it.

He carried us in a difficult year last year. Must've been very hard after winning for as far as I know, his whole career before that.

I mean, I dont think he lost much in high school, won a championship as a senior, came here, two A-10 championships, and two NCAA wins.

He kept us afloat and won was really the reason we beat VCU in the quarterfinals. That big floater three he hit set the tone for this year, where we are about to break through to another NCAA tournament bid.

If we do in fact make it to the tournament this year, we should consider retiring his number.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Best college mid range jumper shooter I have ever seen.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think he has been a really underrated guy these last 4 years.

He is right up there with Hassan, EC, and Jared Terrell as the most pivotal players in this program's turn around.

He was our PG on those two NCAA teams. Playing great D. Taking care of the ball. Finding open guys. Scoring when we needed it.

He carried us in a difficult year last year. Must've been very hard after winning for as far as I know, his whole career before that.

I mean, I dont think he lost much in high school, won a championship as a senior, came here, two A-10 championships, and two NCAA wins.

He kept us afloat and won was really the reason we beat VCU in the quarterfinals. That big floater three he hit set the tone for this year, where we are about to break through to another NCAA tournament bid.

If we do in fact make it to the tournament this year, we should consider retiring his number.
Zero shot a number retirement is even considered.

Only one male players number has ever been retired.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I think he has been a really underrated guy these last 4 years.

Why are we so strict about number retirement?
0 x
Dowtinsavestheworld
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Dowtinsavestheworld »

So excited for this thread. Jeff Dowtin is easily my favorite Rhode Island player of all time. I started following URI in the 2001 season so I can’t speak for all players prior to that year.
Jeff Dowtin exhibits all characteristics of an exceptional decision making athlete. Dowtin doesn’t have all the skills of the top premier athletes. He doesn’t jump through the roof, he doesn’t have a pure stroke. He simply knows what the best basketball shot is at all times. He is always aware of spacing and match ups and never panics.
If you surrounded him with elite talent in a power 5 school he could lead the country in assists. He puts his ego side just to simply win. He literally could care less if he is shooting the ball or the player who made the big play. I really hope he stays part of the program and comes back to us in a coaching role in years to come.
Passing is my favorite of basketball and Jeff simply makes the right choice all the time. Thank you to him for getting us to the NCAAA Tournament and hopefully getting us back one last time on his way out.
We owe him the world and his continued efforts to get recruits like him. Thank you Jeff.
12 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

The school is, not me.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The school is, not me.
Didnt say you were.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It is a valid question though, never understood why only one number has been retired.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One of my favorite players ever sounds like he may make a great coach someday too
4 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago One of my favorite players ever sounds like he may make a great coach someday too
I concur. As a player he has reminded me a lot of Kendall Marshall from UNC who is now going into coaching. It will be interesting to follow their careers going forward. I suspect Jeff will play somewhere professionally before becoming a coach.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Announcer today said he expects Dowtin to be on a summer league roster which sounds right
1 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

We would run out of numbers awfully quickly. Only 36 numbers available in total.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Waltman
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Waltman »

Cox is playing Dowtin and Fatts too many minutes in blowouts. This is going to come back to haunt us
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Kenpom MVP
Well deserved!
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Waltman wrote: 4 years ago Cox is playing Dowtin and Fatts too many minutes in blowouts. This is going to come back to haunt us
They have a week off?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Waltman wrote: 4 years ago Cox is playing Dowtin and Fatts too many minutes in blowouts. This is going to come back to haunt us
Really?

Fatts is a contender for Naismith and high scorer in A10

Dowtin is a senior being scouted.

And we should bench them???
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Dowtin played like a senior since about midway through his freshman year.
4 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

He can speak French, in Russian.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dowtin and a Fatts are our best players we want them out there at least 37 minutes a game
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jeff is climbing up the all time charts too. Today he passed Jimmy Wright and Cat Mobley in all time scoring which puts him 25th all time. He tied Marquis Jones for 3rd place all time in assists with 459. He has a slight chance to catch Silk Owens for 2nd with 502. Nobody is catching Tyson Wheeler at 712.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I put this in the game thread, but I was so impressed by Jeff in the Post Game TV Interview Today

Most impressed by Jeff Dowtin in the past game interview
Jeff was asked specifically about his 8 assists and no turnovers and was he happy with that?

Jeff told the interviewer "no". Jeff said "I really wanted 10 assists because I had 6 assists at halftime". He went on to try to explain why he was not able to get the 10 as he wanted

Shows the game mentality and the unselfish nature of Jeff and what makes him such a great point guard and overall player, plus why David Cox keeps him in the game 37 minutes or more per game

Dowtin was once again very efficient 6-11 FG, 2-3 on 3Ps, 7 rebounds, game high 8 assists, 1 block, a game high 4 steals, 0 Turnovers, for 14 points.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He said he was going to get on the guys for missing a couple shots and keeping him from 10 assists. :lol: He was kidding of course.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

He’s such a good dude. I was listening to the post game show leaving campus and he was asked something about what he thought about only having two games left at the Ryan Center and he said he couldn’t even think of it. Something along those lines. We can’t either, Jeff! You’re one of the Rhody greats now!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Love Jeff! Is the Dayton going to be “Senior night” with the late start?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago Love Jeff! Is the Dayton going to be “Senior night” with the late start?
Yes. The Dayton game is Senior Night
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I worry about Dayton being senior night. It's always an emotional time and sometimes it's hard to get the focus back on playing basketball.
1 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

This is what I posted on twitter. And it is well deserved
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Absolutely, Rhodyhoopz! Great tweet. What an outstanding young man Jeff is.
1 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

How can you not love Jeff? I always tell anyone who will listen he is the "band aid". Whenever we need to stop/start a run it seems like he always comes up with a basket or great play. He will go down as one of URI's all time greats!
6 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jeff is the epitome of an “old soul”. I don’t know if he has the tools to play in the league (tho if I were an NBA GM in need of a point guard I’d give him a long look) but he’s got the smarts to be a high level coach.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!