2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/15 | Saint Joe’s | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

6,673 in attendance.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Sad showing by the students. today. Just plain sad. Sad.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Sad showing by the students. today. Just plain sad. Sad.
There are teams in the 80-100 in net that fill their student section up no problem. This was embarrassing and you can see the response after the game when the players didn’t come over to thank them.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Too much partying and an early start.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Too much partying and an early start.
No excuses. Teams all over the country had games at 12:00 today and had no trouble filling up their student section. I think it all comes down to students not appreciating how good our team is even when we're playing 0-11 st joes.
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago Too much partying and an early start.
No excuses. Teams all over the country had games at 12:00 today and had no trouble filling up their student section. I think it all comes down to students not appreciating how good our team is even when we're playing 0-11 st joes.
I agree.
3 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

I just don't get it. When I was at URI (before round wheels) those basketball games at Keaney trumped everything!!! Standing in line, in shitty weather, for tickets was a right of passage.
5 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Listen, I’m as upset as ANYONE that the students were a no show today. It makes my job 1000x more difficult and my lack of voice postgame is a testament. Extremely disheartening.

With all that said, the students have been PHENOMENAL this season. They’ve showed up for every single non-break game in force and have given us an edge when we needed it most. After 12 years of doing this, this has been one of, if not the best seasons of Ruckus turnout, period. Only 4-5 years ago, we were lucky to get 1000 to show for 1-2 big games a year.

While criticism is valid, I don’t see a reason to pile on & some of the tweets I’ve been tagged in has been a bit much. There’s a bunch of reasons the turnout probably wasn’t great today, but I consider it the exception and not the rule. (Unless it happens again)
9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agreed that’s really bad students cost us an over 7 k in attendance today
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

11-2. 19-6. Not pretty but a methodical win. Sure beats a methodical loss.. it maybe a good thing wifi sucks at Ryan center.. really enjoy reading game thread all at once after a game like this. 🎢🎢🎢....
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Apologies as I am always on a technological timeout because the Ryan Center sucks.

Speaking of sucks, FUCK our student fans and the 30% of people who bailed out at the under 4.

I heard plenty of excuses - marketing, early start, opponent- NONE of them are valid. If anything, it makes me think less of their turnout all year since they needed some other factor then “your team has a game” to show up.

I’m disgusted.

On the opposite of disgusted: we buckled down and got an efficient, blowout win against a lesser opponent. We have big nut seniors and leaders on this team.

Onto Davidson.

Hopefully this team will do enough that game to please our sorry sack students and get them to show up for one of TWO remaining home games for two of the best seniors to ever grace the Ryan Center floor.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I think a lot of students went home with it being a 3 day weekend?
0 x
Clapton is God
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It did look weird today. I don't ever think I've seen so much of the place as full as it was...with the other end empty. Was reaaally odd looking. It was like it was halftime and our band was on the field, except it was basketball and all those seats were actually empty all day long.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago I think a lot of students went home with it being a 3 day weekend?
There are classes Monday. Nope. These kids are just bitches.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

gorhody89 wrote: 4 years ago I think a lot of students went home with it being a 3 day weekend?
Your team is going to the tournament, you work the game in. My friends and I wouldn't have even had to "work it in", it would have just been accepted as the bonus party event that it was, with other things worked around it.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

With normal student attendance we’d have been around 7500 or better. Not sure what was up with the students....when I was at URI you’d have trouble getting me to show for a class that started before noon, but a basketball game? I’d figure it out.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Just an excuse to start drinking at 9am. I mean there is always an excuse to start drinking at 9am, but this is definitely as good as any.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Jaguar finished the game on DVR

most importantly - we won !

Funy reading the comments cas watching the game I was like “where are all the students” - then I paused a few times and saw the 300s full

I am with the crowd that said F U to the students

My goodness

Go to the game to support a top 30 team
My goodness

you all suck

Inexcusable

What a bunch of losers and fair weather fans

I used to love going to games - it was so
Much fun

Wake
Up
Already
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I said in another thread, I was walking the campus about 90 minutes before the game and it was a ghost town, So, the kids either went home or were sleeping. I don't think I missed a home game in the 4 years I was at URI. I guess most kids aren't as big a basketball fan as I am.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I’d like to pitch in here as a student living on campus. We HAVE classes Monday. Many high schools cancel but URI doesn’t for Presidents’ Day.
Another thing is that it’s straight up disrespectful to the players and especially seniors who have worked their asses off to earn this current 19-6 record. For me, going to a uri game, standing with the ruckus, is like a party with 7,000 other uri fans. I’ve got so much respect for the students that came today and didn’t skip because of some stupid excuse (we were playing st joes or it was too early).

Hoping for a FILLED UP student section vs SLU.
11 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I said in another thread, I was walking the campus about 90 minutes before the game and it was a ghost town, So, the kids either went home or were sleeping. I don't think I missed a home game in the 4 years I was at URI. I guess most kids aren't as big a basketball fan as I am.
Hmmm that’s funny you think kids don’t like basketball at uri. We’ve had great student turnout for most games this season. I don’t know what happened honestly.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I’d like to pitch in here as a student living on campus. We HAVE classes Monday. Many high schools cancel but URI doesn’t for Presidents’ Day.
Another thing is that it’s straight up disrespectful to the players and especially seniors who have worked their asses off to earn this current 19-6 record. For me, going to a uri game, standing with the ruckus, is like a party with 7,000 other uri fans. I’ve got so much respect for the students that came today and didn’t skip because of some stupid excuse (we were playing st joes or it was too early).

Good job 916 !

As an alumni we appreciate you supporting our team

Like I said - we won and that’s all that matters

But it is a joke students didn’t support us today

Dowtin said how coach said this was like a super bowl game and must win

Too bad the students didn’t respect this team
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago I’d like to pitch in here as a student living on campus. We HAVE classes Monday. Many high schools cancel but URI doesn’t for Presidents’ Day.

Good job 916 !

As an alumni we appreciate you supporting our team

Like I said - we won and that’s all that matters

But it is a joke students didn’t support us today

Dowtin said how coach said this was like a super bowl game and must win

Too bad the students didn’t respect this team
Thank you! Also I'm not sure what more the Ruckus can do to get students to show up. Maybe more giveaways? They've given us plenty of shirts this season. Maybe they can include our improved record in A10 and Overall to show how good we are? I'm really not sure why students wouldn't show up for a game this big today.

Like you said, the only thing that mattered today was the W! The crowd outside of the student section was practically sold out which looked great there and on TV.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The student turnout was consistent with the current view of today's college students. In a recent study of the norms affecting college students, the results found in no time since the study of these norms began in the 60's has there ever been a group of college students more into themselves than today's crowd. That is the underlying reason why you don't see the many campus protests of the past supporting causes like Free Speech, anti-war, etc. When you are into yourselves, you don't have empathy for others and your focus is self centered and materialistic. Sad.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago I said in another thread, I was walking the campus about 90 minutes before the game and it was a ghost town, So, the kids either went home or were sleeping. I don't think I missed a home game in the 4 years I was at URI. I guess most kids aren't as big a basketball fan as I am.
Hmmm that’s funny you think kids don’t like basketball at uri. We’ve had great student turnout for most games this season. I don’t know what happened honestly.
Well,if I were still a student, i would have been there...probably hungover, but definitely there. Our next home game is on a Sunday at 2:00. I hope there are no excuses for that one.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Apparently Richmond students think highly of their team - sounds like a loud crowd
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just back from the game after a very nice lunch. The crowd was docile today, but it has been for the noon games so not much difference. The students were a no show which reflects poorly on them. When I was a student we tried to get into Keaney however we could. Bang on doors till someone opens. Oh well, we have an NCAAT team and we were there. This team is really special. Only two more home games for Jeff and Cyril. Man, those two have been awesome for 4 years. GO RHODY!!!!!!!
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Sad showing by the students. today. Just plain sad. Sad.
I agree. That was one of the worst showings by the students I have ever seen with a team that is competing for something. Even during Christmas break it was better. The kids really have to get back home for a 3 day weekend after being off for 6 weeks on Christmas break. Maybe everyone was out late partying. Terrible effort
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
I agree. That was one of the worst showings by the students I have ever seen with a team that is competing for something. Even during Christmas break it was better. The kids really have to get back home for a 3 day weekend after being off for 6 weeks on Christmas break. Maybe everyone was out late partying. Terrible effort
2 day weekend* :P

We have classes Monday. Also there were some students coming and going throughout the game looking like they didn't give a shit on what was going on. Horrible to see and not a good look for the players who are 11-1 in their past 12 games.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It really is a bad look when the place is full and the student section is empty.
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Saw a lot of empty seats behind our bench, too.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

2 day weekend* :P

We have classes Monday. Also there were some students coming and going throughout the game looking like they didn't give a shit on what was going on. Horrible to see and not a good look for the players who are 11-1 in their past 12 games.
That makes it worse. I wish you didn’t tell me. Wow
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

EZBuckets wrote: 4 years ago Listen, I’m as upset as ANYONE that the students were a no show today. It makes my job 1000x more difficult and my lack of voice postgame is a testament. Extremely disheartening.

With all that said, the students have been PHENOMENAL this season. They’ve showed up for every single non-break game in force and have given us an edge when we needed it most. After 12 years of doing this, this has been one of, if not the best seasons of Ruckus turnout, period. Only 4-5 years ago, we were lucky to get 1000 to show for 1-2 big games a year.

While criticism is valid, I don’t see a reason to pile on & some of the tweets I’ve been tagged in has been a bit much. There’s a bunch of reasons the turnout probably wasn’t great today, but I consider it the exception and not the rule. (Unless it happens again)
Agree 100% especially on the tweets.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

My favorite sports memory is getting to watch Sly & co in Keaney. There is not even a close second. I am sure other generations of fans feel that way about Silk, Tommy, Lamar etc.

Missing out on games with truly special players like Fatts and Jeff may be a regret down the road.

"Remember .... there are YOUR good old days"
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I like Long’s game, going to major contributor going forward into next year......I thought this would be a game for Jermaine to build confidence against bottom tier opponent.......got on with a win onto Davison, that is going to be a tuff one.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I thought attendance would be over 7k no problem. I didn't anticipate such a poor showing by students for a team fighting for an NCAA bid. Very disappointing that they could not make the effort to support the players.

Great turnout by non students today. They seem to know the importance of these games.

Flat effort today. Not surprising given all the energy that was spent in and around the Dayton game. Early noon start time is tough to get going as well. Toppin had an especially nice game today. Did what they needed to taking care of a lesser team and getting back to winning. A few days off are probably good to rest up and also get a mental recharge.

The game at Davidson will be HUGE. If Rhody can beat a top 75 team like the Wildcats on the road, it will help the Q1/Q2 record and give them some more breathing room for the season end. I really think they must get at least 3 more wins to close out the regular season. Dayton will be super tough and St Louis is no gimme. UMass always plays Rhody tough there and I would rather not have that a must win game.
4 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I honestly think that it has a lot to do with partying. Valentine’s Day on Friday night equals kids getting shithammered and waking up in strange beds. The start time combined with it being so damn cold, I’m sure a lot of kids woke up at 10, possibly not knowing where they were, started to think about what it would entail to get to the game at noon and just went back to sleep. Not really excusing the weak attendance. There’s no word for it other than weak. If I were a student I’d have been there, but I can get into the headspace of a kid who normally goes but didn’t show today - mostly because those were my friends in college.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I honestly think that it has a lot to do with partying. Valentine’s Day on Friday night equals kids getting shithammered and waking up in strange beds. The start time combined with it being so damn cold, I’m sure a lot of kids woke up at 10, possibly not knowing where they were, started to think about what it would entail to get to the game at noon and just went back to sleep. Not really excusing the weak attendance. There’s no word for it other than weak. If I were a student I’d have been there, but I can get into the headspace of a kid who normally goes but didn’t show today - mostly because those were my friends in college.
I agree. The students have done a pretty good job up to this game. Maybe we need to go back to 2 or 4pm starts
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Kids were hungover, by Valentine’s Day and booze and st joes is awful to watch. Hope they look let that energy for Dayton/StLouis
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago My favorite sports memory is getting to watch Sly & co in Keaney. There is not even a close second. I am sure other generations of fans feel that way about Silk, Tommy, Lamar etc.

Missing out on games with truly special players like Fatts and Jeff may be a regret down the road.

"Remember .... there are YOUR good old days"
I'm right with you on that. Those days in the mid to late 70s were special.
3 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

I have to admit...

I lived down the line sophomore thru senior year. And as big of a Rhody fan as I was and am, there is a 0% chance you could’ve roused me (or at least my roommates) from a hangover, and in a car by 11:20-11:30 for a noon start.

Especially when you factor in the 4-20 opponent and the fact that I could roll my lazy ass over and watch the game on TV (or phone or iPad).

The 38-year old me would slap the 20-year old me in the face and say “even if you have to go by yourself, go support those kids”. Deservedly so.

But I can’t lie and say I probably wouldn’t have skipped the game today.
6 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I was unable to attend today as our daughter had a bball game at Eastern CT and we drove over for that.

Did they introduce Jimmy B. during the game at all?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......it was great having a Jimmie back.......come back soon......yes, his presence announced by Dan York.....
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ cool thanks
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Didn’t watch the game in its entirety. Can someone speak to Jacob’s box score - looked like a solid game?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Didn’t watch the game in its entirety. Can someone speak to Jacob’s box score - looked like a solid game?
Very solid! Scored all his points in the second half when he got a little more run. Had a very nice dunk on a great pass from Cyril. I think a nice put back or two as well. It was nice to see him bounce back after all the attention on him for the Dayton game.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The defensive intensity better be there next weekend. i thought they played light on defense today. Not in concert with each other. That needs to tighten up BIG TIME next weekend vs Davidson.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago I was unable to attend today as our daughter had a bball game at Eastern CT and we drove over for that.

Did they introduce Jimmy B. during the game at all?
Yes. Xavier Munford was there also and introduced to the crowd.
1 x