THE EARLY LINE URI VS ST. JOES

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS ST. JOES

Unread post by luke »

The line is out as URI -18 1/2 . This is a huge line that makes it very hard to take URI . If betting this one I would think you would have
to go with The Hawks and the points . But be very careful with this because URI may have something to prove here . Then again they could
come out flat after an emotional loss at Dayton . i have no idea where the home team players' heads are so I would avoid this game . Really
would like to see a blow out rams win here to get them back on track before next week's game at Davidson .
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS ST. JOES

Unread post by section(105) »

........no, not touching Rhody giving this one at that high number.......win, yes.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seeing 19 points now

I like URI to cover the 19 for following reasons:
  • Taylor Funk out for season. Chereef Knox is not likely to play due to injury, and if he does minutes likely limited
  • St Joe starts 2 freshmen at guard. Rahmir Moore and Cameron Brown. Russell, Dowtin and Martin are too good and too experienced for St Joes two starting freshmen
  • Even in blowouts, Cox plays Dadika and Green only the last minute or two. This means URI goes with 8 players, all 8 of whom would easily start for St Josephs. This quality depth and URI playing only 8 guys, who could all be starters, will be too much for St Josephs to handle
  • St Joes plays 9 guys typically. Minutes are spread across 9 guys. We should run the score up when St Joe bench guys are in the game
  • URI is playing very well. Take away the first 6 minutes of the Dayton game and we win on their home court
  • This is our time. Blowout city. Statement game
  • Sellout or very close to sellout crowd
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
URI is playing very well. Take away the first 6 minutes of the Dayton game and we win on their home court
That is not true. Dayton dominated that game when it mattered accept for a 3 minute stretch in the first half and Rhody cut it to 9.
When the game was out of reach, Rhody trimmed 5 points off the lead some by pressuring Dayton reserves.
1 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
URI is playing very well. Take away the first 6 minutes of the Dayton game and we win on their home court
That is not true. Dayton dominated that game when it mattered accept for a 3 minute stretch in the first half and Rhody cut it to 9.
When the game was out of reach, Rhody trimmed 5 points off the lead some by pressuring Dayton reserves.
It was 17-0 after 5 minutes.
We lost by 14 final score.

That means URI outscored Dayton 67-64 over the last 35 minutes.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Ramster you can’t look at the Dayton game that way. VCU cut our lead from 29 to the final of 12 does that mean they were 17 points better than us during that time? Some sort of victory? No. Dayton beat us soundly. We were never in it. No moral victory. That game is best forgotten.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ok, it’s just what I’m thinking in believing URI will blow out St Joe tomorrow
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I hope you’re right about that!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster you can’t look at the Dayton game that way. VCU cut our lead from 29 to the final of 12 does that mean they were 17 points better than us during that time? Some sort of victory? No. Dayton beat us soundly. We were never in it. No moral victory. That game is best forgotten.
Well David Cox said it too......

“I’ve been proud of them a lot this season for overcoming some adverse situations and coming out with victories,” Cox said. “I think I was most proud of them today. We dug ourselves a 17-point hole and we fought, I thought, the rest of that game to play basically an even game with by far the best team in the league.”
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Of course I predicted St Bonaventure would beat the Point Spread of -4 vs Davidson tonight :oops: :oops: :oops:
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Ramster you can’t look at the Dayton game that way. VCU cut our lead from 29 to the final of 12 does that mean they were 17 points better than us during that time? Some sort of victory? No. Dayton beat us soundly. We were never in it. No moral victory. That game is best forgotten.
Well David Cox said it too......

“I’ve been proud of them a lot this season for overcoming some adverse situations and coming out with victories,” Cox said. “I think I was most proud of them today. We dug ourselves a 17-point hole and we fought, I thought, the rest of that game to play basically an even game with by far the best team in the league.”
This is very accurate and after watching the Bonnies make no real effort in the second half, it shows how special our team is and how proud we should be that this team has no quit. :D

ps still waiting for someone to take me up on free tickets for the Davidson game
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

we were also down 25 points with 7:30 left in the game. all the talk of we played them even for 35 minutes is overplayed. agree with 83. with the exception of a 5 or so minute span they spanked us the whole way. i don't make much of trimming a 25 point deficit to 14. that's garbage time.
2 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Most sites have the spread at URI -17 now . That may be achievable but I recommend leaving it alone.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes -17. 152
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess URI 81-65 so St Joe and undies
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

The under looks good?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

we were also down 25 points with 7:30 left in the game. all the talk of we played them even for 35 minutes is overplayed. agree with 83. with the exception of a 5 or so minute span they spanked us the whole way. i don't make much of trimming a 25 point deficit to 14. that's garbage time.

All I said was we fell behind 17 - 0 then we played the last roughly 35 minutes of the game beating Dayton by 3.

In looking up the Reserve Minutes played both teams played their reserves about the same. it is not like Dayton emptied their bench and URI took them to the cleaners. Were there spurts within those 35 minutes? sure, just like there are in many games.

83 says we did it against the Dayton Reserves, so I looked up the reserve play for both teams:

Dayton Reserves A10 ave minutes/game and vs URI
Ibi Watson 24.2 / 22
Jordy Tshimanga 9.7 / 9
Dwayne Cohill 11.6 / 20
Jhery Matos 7.0 / 4
Total Dayton Reserves = 57.5 / 55. Dayton Reserves played 2.5 minutes below their normal

URI Reserves played
Walker 16.1 / 18
Toppin 19.0 / 15
Long 13.9 / 15
Total URI Reserves = 49.0 / 48 URI Resserves played 1.0 minutes below their normal

I liked URI at 19, now I like even more being down to 17 today vs St Josephs
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

All I said was we fell behind 17 - 0 then we played the last roughly 35 minutes of the game beating Dayton by 3.
This is what you said:
Take away the first 6 minutes of the Dayton game and we win on their home court.

You said “we win on their home court”.

Coaches change their approach up 19 with 6 minutes left.
They started using the clock. Pull back a little on D not to foul.
With 1:08 left URI was down 19 and Dayton took out their starters. URI outscored the reserves 5-0. URI was pressing right to the end.

Cherry picking parts of a game is ridiculous. All teams have streaks. You selected the “first 6 minutes” - Dayton was ahead by 14 (17-3).
If I pick the 5 minutes in the first half that URI had a run and the last 1:08 of the game URI outscored Dayton by 13 points in those 6 minutes. So using your approach from the Dayton side, take away URI’s 6 minute burst Dayton wins by 27.
2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

There are little if any positives to take away from the Dayton game. Saying we played them even after being down 17-0 is not one of them. We got smoked. As to the line today, I’d feel more comfortable taking the pts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago There are little if any positives to take away from the Dayton game. Saying we played them even after being down 17-0 is not one of them. We got smoked. As to the line today, I’d feel more comfortable taking the pts.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago There are little if any positives to take away from the Dayton game. Saying we played them even after being down 17-0 is not one of them. We got smoked. As to the line today, I’d feel more comfortable taking the pts.
Agree to disagree then

The 1st 5 minutes they made 7-7
We missed our first 11 shots
Too much to recover from

The rest was 67-64 we outscored them

David Cox thinks different from you and some others here. You can look to find positives or you can just call it all one big negative - it’s up to each player, coach and fan on how they want to view it and move forward.

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is what you said:
Take away the first 6 minutes of the Dayton game and we win on their home court.

You said “we win on their home court”.

Coaches change their approach up 19 with 6 minutes left.
They started using the clock. Pull back a little on D not to foul.
With 1:08 left URI was down 19 and Dayton took out their starters. URI outscored the reserves 5-0. URI was pressing right to the end.

Cherry picking parts of a game is ridiculous. All teams have streaks. You selected the “first 6 minutes” - Dayton was ahead by 14 (17-3).
If I pick the 5 minutes in the first half that URI had a run and the last 1:08 of the game URI outscored Dayton by 13 points in those 6 minutes. So using your approach from the Dayton side, take away URI’s 6 minute burst Dayton wins by 27.
Ok 83,
My bad. I should have said first 5 minutes instead of 6

My basic point was URI played even with Dayton the rest of h tv s way after as bad a start as I’ve ever seen a team ever have.
7 straight makes by Dayton
11 straight missed shots by URI

Do I attribute URI 67-64 scoring advantage to Dayton putting in reserves? No. The minutes for the Reserves were about the teams average in A10 play. No Bench Players were used by Dayton that they do t typically use even in close games. Dayton did not empty their bench

Glass half full looking at URI 67-64 to me says we can play with Dayton and most importantly we did not fold in the face of adversity. We could have gone on and list by 40 but we didn’t.

We played hard and didn’t give up. That’s my view but for sure doesn’t need to be shared by you or others.

David Cox took the same positive view as I did.

In the end it’s just giving me reason to take URI and 16.5 points. I could be dead wrong. I often am.

0 x
skwalk47
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by skwalk47 »

Holy moly, I would never lay that many points in conference.
0 x
URI BS '08 MS '11

NO LONGER waiting on my first NCAA appearance!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Brian Forster wrote: 4 years ago The under looks good?
Under was 152 overnight and went off at 147.5 and it landed on 128 easy winner
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

skwalk47 wrote: 4 years ago Holy moly, I would never lay that many points in conference.
I got -16.5
Easy money
St Joseph’s had lost 5 of their last 6 against the spread - now 6 of last 7
St Joseph’s shoots a high 49% of their Field Goal attempts from 3P land. URI plays outstanding defense against the 3P shot
No wins in A-10, now 4-21.
We didn’t play that well today, should have won by 40

Great job by Toppin hitting those last two Free Throws!!
Toppin has a good game today.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Who here were the big brains that took Joe's +19 and uri -17? Who middled out and cashed 2 winners?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not me. I got URI and 16.5
1 x