Week #15 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #15 - Games of Interest

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago VCU’s next three games - at Richmond, Dayton and at SLU 😳
They fell for the trap game! :D
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bkoeppen wrote: 4 years ago Marcus Evans decline year on year is mind blowing

I dont think this is talked about enough.

I mean he has lost it.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

With Evans it could be the injury, or it could be the step up in conference from Conf USA to A10. I have never been all that impressed with anything but his on ball defense.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I mean he has lost it.
The fact that Hyland isn't starting over him is borderline fireable.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I mean he has lost it.
The fact that Hyland isn't starting over him is borderline fireable.

Hyland is obviously the best player on the team.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fryuzzz lose 80-69
Amazingly PC had 24 turnovers, their most turnovers in a single game since 7 years ago!!

Jon Rothstein said PC is really suffering at PG but that will be fixed next year when Bynum is eligible. Funny is that last year they said PG was weak but Duke and Pipkins would solve the problem. Nah.

What an ugly performance by PC. And they lose with Heron out for St Johns.
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PC sucks. They could struggle to finish above 500.
0 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Not a good night for URI

VCU represented not 1 but 2 of our best wins of the season but they go down at home to (2-8) GMU

Alabama losing to Auburn in OT

Kansas wins by 9 at West Virginia

PC losing by 9 with 3 minutes left in the first half at St Johns where PC is favored by 1.5
Well, Nicholls came through as they beat Lamar, 69-65. :D
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Fryuzzz lose 80-69
Amazingly PC had 24 turnovers, their most turnovers in a single game since 7 years ago!!

Jon Rothstein said PC is really suffering at PG but that will be fixed next year when Bynum is eligible. Funny is that last year they said PG was weak but Duke and Pipkins would solve the problem. Nah.

What an ugly performance by PC. And they lose with Heron out for St Johns.

Darn..... NOT !

hey, on the bright side.. maybe their NET will go down
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago VCU’s next three games - at Richmond, Dayton and at SLU 😳
Ideally VCU beats Richmond
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 years ago
Yes. Absolutely need this so Richmond can have 4 losses too.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fumble and bumble

0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

After last night I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose all three and the wheels come completely off. Richmond May step into their spot in terms of fighting for a third bid from the A-10
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
After last night I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose all three and the wheels come completely off. Richmond May step into their spot in terms of fighting for a third bid from the A-10

Richmond worries me

their schedule isn't all that hard

they need to get whacked
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday action in the A-10:

In games involving URI OOC opponents:

Long Island U. at Central Connecticut, 7 PM.

Charlotte at North Texas, 8 PM. On ESPN3.

Western Kentucky at UTEP, 9 PM.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I think we need VCU to beat Richmond so both will have 4 losses.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I think we need VCU to beat Richmond so both will have 4 losses.
Agreed. Tiebreakers will matter.

That said, it’s nice to know that we control our own destiny. Win out and get the 2 seed.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I think we need VCU to beat Richmond so both will have 4 losses.
Agreed. Tiebreakers will matter.

That said, it’s nice to know that we control our own destiny. Win out and get the 2 seed.
Yes. We certainly do. The other stuff is a backup in case we don't go at least 5-1.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Nice zinger from Donaldson on Twitter about PC having 1 NCAA win in last 23 years. For context little brother Rhody has 5 in that same period. Their fans are also complaining that they had to play in a 6k on campus arena last night. Ya hate to see it.
4 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Nice zinger from Donaldson on Twitter about PC having 1 NCAA win in last 23 years. For context little brother Rhody has 5 in that same period. Their fans are also complaining that they had to play in a 6k on campus arena last night. Ya hate to see it.

and a "play in" game to boot was their only win

jerky boys: "i'm very proud of ya.."
2 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Next Thursday Dayton plays at VCU. Do we want Dayton to win so we can possibly beat a top 10 team at home? Or do we want VCU to win to boost theirs and our resume?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RIrugger01 wrote: 4 years ago Next Thursday Dayton plays at VCU. Do we want Dayton to win so we can possibly beat a top 10 team at home? Or do we want VCU to win to boost theirs and our resume?
That's a great question I'll probably go back and forth on, right up until and probably during the game. For now I'll say VCU for the sake of the conference. Dayton is a lock. VCU needs that game (and they also need a win vs. Richmond on Saturday).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

DAYTON

i want to secure 2nd place alone
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The 5,602 seat capacity Carnesca Arena on the St John's campus was more than adequate for the PC@SJU game. It only drew 4,083 (less than any URI home game). Imagine that small turnout if it had been at the 19,812 capacity MSG.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

from this day forward we root AGAINT any bubble teams

the NET is driving y'all crazy LOL

SERENITY NOW SERENITY NOW

SERENITY NOW, INSANITY LATER
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Nice zinger from Donaldson on Twitter about PC having 1 NCAA win in last 23 years. For context little brother Rhody has 5 in that same period. Their fans are also complaining that they had to play in a 6k on campus arena last night. Ya hate to see it.
You know things are going well when you start complaining about the arena after a loss.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
You know things are going well when you start complaining about the arena after a loss.
Actually the Fryuzzz Fans were complaining about the Arena during the game itself on their 247 Board. They are not a happy group right now with Cooley, Diallo, Pipkins, Duke, Reeves, etc. Once again this year they don’t have a point guard.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago DAYTON

Actually, it might be to early for this...if we want to ensure 2nd place alone which should now be the goal, then it may depend on who wins vs. VCU and Richmond. If Richmond loses to VCU, then definitely Dayton to give VCU another loss. If Richmond beats VCU, then VCU will have have 5 losses, and will be difficult for them to catch us (assuming we don't trip up vs. St. Joe's). In that case, perhaps we want the VCU win?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want Dayton to win them all except URI of course
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago DAYTON

Actually, it might be to early for this...if we want to ensure 2nd place alone which should now be the goal, then it may depend on who wins vs. VCU and Richmond. If Richmond loses to VCU, then definitely Dayton to give VCU another loss. If Richmond beats VCU, then VCU will have have 5 losses, and will be difficult for them to catch us (assuming we don't trip up vs. St. Joe's). In that case, perhaps we want the VCU win?
We 150% want VCU to win. On a couple of levels. First is that we have effectively a 3 game lead on VCU and are effectively tied with Richmond because of the tie breakers (in that one more loss by URI than Richmond and they pass us). Second, @VCU is our best win to date and we need that to hold up as much as possible. Third, VCU needs to win some games to make sure they get into the field and as an A10 fan I want as many teams in as possible. I don’t think Richmond will get in, even with a win at VCU, and objectively VCU is in much better position as of today.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Let's say VCU beats Dayton in that game. Then we win out and Dayton and URI are both 16-2 (not impossible). We would have split with Dayton if this happens. What's the next tiebreaker?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Let's say VCU beats Dayton in that game. Then we win out and Dayton and URI are both 16-2 (not impossible). We would have split with Dayton if this happens. What's the next tiebreaker?
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

---so based on that we would take first place depending on VCU being a higher seed than Richmond. We would be 2-0 vs VCU and they would be 1-1.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Let's say VCU beats Dayton in that game. Then we win out and Dayton and URI are both 16-2 (not impossible). We would have split with Dayton if this happens. What's the next tiebreaker?

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until

b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

---so based on that we would take first place depending on VCU being a higher seed than Richmond. We would be 2-0 vs VCU and they would be 1-1.
For that reason, I want VCU to beat Dayton. I don't think VCU is a threat to take 2nd place from us.We have a 2 game lead on them and the tiebreaker against them. I want a shot to win the title.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

3. Coin toss.

For that reason, I want VCU to beat Dayton. I don't think VCU is a threat to take 2nd place from us.We have a 2 game lead on them and the tiebreaker against them. I want a shot to win the title.

100% agreed. It would be great if VCU could win out (getting up to a Q1 home win), and Dayton to 5-2 (losing to VCU and URI), with URI going 6-0.

That scenario probably has URI with 3-4 Q1 record, 6-1 Q2 record, and only 1 bad loss. That's a solid 7-8 seed with opportunity to climb further in the A10 tournament. That's the dream.

Either way, MUST beat St Joes on Saturday.
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Go 6-0 and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Opponents 3-0 today!

Baby victories!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

All three URI OOC opponents in action tonight - Long Island U., North Texas, Western Kentucky - were victorious.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Bubble scores from Thursday night

Indiana beats Iowa 89-77 in Bloomington
Wichita State wins at UCF 75-58
Cinci wins in OT at home versus Memphis 92-86
USC beats Washington in LA 62-56
Arizona wins at Cal 68-52
Arizona St wins at Stanford 74-69
BYU wins at LMU 77-54
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago All three URI OOC opponents in action tonight - Long Island U., North Texas, Western Kentucky - were victorious.
North Texas and Western Kentucky continue to be 1-2 in the CUSA standings and both have now secured a spot in the top pod for innovative new scheduling round-robin to close the CUSA conference season. Their NETs as of today are 88 and 119, respectively.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only one game on Valentine's Day in the A-10:

Davidson at St. Bonaventure, 7 PM. On ESPN2. Interesting match up. After three consecutive losses to the big dogs in the A-10, SBU has rattled off five straight wins in impressive style over lesser competition, but Davidson though disappointing to date has the horses to offer a better challenge. With home court advantage plus Osunniyi, SBU should take this one.

Manhattan at Iona, 7 PM. On ESPN3. The question is whether Manhattan can build on its three game win streak and duplicate its recent convincing home win over a Cluess less Iona.

Brown at Pennsylvania, 7 PM. On ESPN+. Brown has feasted on its home court and now needs to show that they can be road warriors as opposed to being just addicted to home cooking.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Only one game on Valentine's Day in the A-10:

Davidson at St. Bonaventure, 7 PM. On ESPN2. Interesting match up. After three consecutive losses to the big dogs in the A-10, SBU has rattled off five straight wins in impression style over lesser competition, but Davidson though disappointing to date has the horses to offer a better challenge. With home court advantage plus Osunniyi, SBU should take this one.

Manhattan at Iona, 7 PM. On ESPN3. The question is whether Manhattan can build on its three game win streak and duplicate its recent convincing home win over a Cluess less Iona.

Brown at Pennsylvania, 7 PM. On ESPN+. Brown has feasted on its home court and now needs to show that they can be road warriors as opposed to being just addicted to home cooking.
I think we need Davidson to win this to give SBU another loss.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Definitely cheering hard for Davidson tonight and VCU tomorrow.
2 x
Go Rhody
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago

For the 9500th time, PC did not beat USC in a play-in game. In 2016, they played a Round of 64 game in Raleigh. They later played, and lost to, the #1 seed UNC in the Round of 32. It wasn't until 2017, one year later, that they played USC in a play-in game.
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Their fans are also complaining that they had to play in a 6k on campus arena last night. Ya hate to see it.
My reading comprehension isn't exactly the best, but I'm pretty sure one fan complained about playing at Carnasecca, and received some of the following responses:

"Excuses, excuses. That gym is as easy as it comes and it wasnt even full."

"Its not our home game! Why should SJU care about Friar fans? Comical."

"Typical Friars fan base...complaining that we didnt play in a big enough arena to let our fan base show up to a ROAD GAME. Ugh...the excuses around this program are unbearable. Brings back nightmares of Dayton in Ohio."

"They are what the number 3 tenant at msg assuming their isnt a billy joel concert or something. They can only use it if the Knicks and Rangers are not playing or a big concert is scheduled. Im guessing msg management could give a crap about st. johns. View them as filler for off nights"

"You do realize St. John's is in Queens right? I'm not really getting your beef with their gym. Are you some how trying to blame that on our pathetic performance tonight?"

"Please stop. we lost because we sucked. not because we played in a high school gym. If that gym was such an advantage to them they would play every home game there. If PC decided to play at Alumni our fan base would complain it didnt provide a good enough home court advantage. Its weak sauce."

"Ok. why dont they play every home game there then? get that huge home court advantage. Stop the excuses."

A lot of those were from the same guy, but no one else besides one guy complained about the location. My wife works for a glasses company. I can give you the hook-up.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago

For the 9500th time, PC did not beat USC in a play-in game. In 2016, they played a Round of 64 game in Raleigh. They later played, and lost to, the #1 seed UNC in the Round of 32. It wasn't until 2017, one year later, that they played USC in a play-in game.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Also, why did dick Donaldson cut it at 23 years? Because in 97 pc made the Elite 8? Thus in the last 25 years pc has 4 wins and Rhody has 5. Biased reporting to ignite fire I guess.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Their fans are also complaining that they had to play in a 6k on campus arena last night. Ya hate to see it.
My reading comprehension isn't exactly the best, but I'm pretty sure one fan complained about playing at Carnasecca, and received some of the following responses:

"Excuses, excuses. That gym is as easy as it comes and it wasnt even full."

"Its not our home game! Why should SJU care about Friar fans? Comical."

"Typical Friars fan base...complaining that we didnt play in a big enough arena to let our fan base show up to a ROAD GAME. Ugh...the excuses around this program are unbearable. Brings back nightmares of Dayton in Ohio."

"They are what the number 3 tenant at msg assuming their isnt a billy joel concert or something. They can only use it if the Knicks and Rangers are not playing or a big concert is scheduled. Im guessing msg management could give a crap about st. johns. View them as filler for off nights"

"You do realize St. John's is in Queens right? I'm not really getting your beef with their gym. Are you some how trying to blame that on our pathetic performance tonight?"

"Please stop. we lost because we sucked. not because we played in a high school gym. If that gym was such an advantage to them they would play every home game there. If PC decided to play at Alumni our fan base would complain it didnt provide a good enough home court advantage. Its weak sauce."

"Ok. why dont they play every home game there then? get that huge home court advantage. Stop the excuses."

A lot of those were from the same guy, but no one else besides one guy complained about the location. My wife works for a glasses company. I can give you the hook-up.
I'll take it, but I only wear designer frames in keaney blue please.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol: Also, why did dick Donaldson cut it at 23 years? Because in 97 pc made the Elite 8? Thus in the last 25 years pc has 4 wins and Rhody has 5. Biased reporting to ignite fire I guess.

You can go back even further to the last 40 years which roughly correlate to PC first joining the Big East (1979-80). Despite all the advantages that league membership gave PC over URI, the two schools have the EXACT SAME number of NCAA Tournament wins at eight. Furthermore, the Friars had just three tournaments where they recorded wins while Rhody did so in five different tournaments.

PC NCAA Wins
1987 4
1997 3
2016 1

URI NCAA Wins
1988 2
1993 1
1998 3
2017 1
2018 1
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Always appreciate RF's research.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Always appreciate RF's research.
Can add even more:

PC does have more NIT wins than URI since the 1979-80 season. The Friars have 13 while the Rams have 11.

PC NIT Wins
1986 2
1991 2
1993 3
1995 1
1996 1
2003 2
2013 2

URI NIT Wins
1992 2
1996 2
2003 1
2004 1
2009 1
2010 3
2015 1

I would bet most people don't realize that the post season history between the two schools over the last four decades was so similar. Many fans without much real knowledge would just assume PC has been far more successful in March given perception. That however is not the reality.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Only one game on Valentine's Day in the A-10:

Davidson at St. Bonaventure, 7 PM. On ESPN2. Interesting match up. After three consecutive losses to the big dogs in the A-10, SBU has rattled off five straight wins in impressive style over lesser competition, but Davidson though disappointing to date has the horses to offer a better challenge. With home court advantage plus Osunniyi, SBU should take this one.

Bonnie’s did not have Osunniyi in the losses at Dayton, at VCU and home to URI. Bonnie’s are 9-0 in games with Osunniyi.
They have Osunniyi at home tonight. I think they cover the -4 points. Bonnie’s should go to 10-3 beating Davidson. Osunniyi is a big difference maker on offense and on defense.

Huge game tonight for Brown at Penn. hope Brown continues their win streak but Penn has a nice win streak of their own going.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s true if you go back to 98 then it’s URI 5 PC 1 in NCAA wins

Since 2016 it’s URI 2 and PC 1
0 x