2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 4 years ago I hope the members of the selection committee were too busy studying metrics to check the game out.

Seriously, the goal now is to protect that second seed. Maybe I’m nitpicking, but if the tournament time slots are the same as they’ve been for at least the past two years, the two seed gets the 7:00 game on Friday night and the three seed gets the 9:30 game. That would lead to a quicker turnaround for the Saturday afternoon semifinal game. Also, teams rarely play that late, so you don’t know how they’ll react.

As to the remaining games besides Dayton, I’m more concerned about the St Louis game at home than the game at Davidson. St Louis plays physical and will make it difficult for Rhody to get clean looks.

Good thing we own the tiebreaker over both the Bonnies and VCU. It looks like they will battle it out for third place. The Bonnies have four of their final six games st home. I could see them going 5-1. I’d rather see VCU finish third, since we have their number.

As for the quarterfinal opponent, St Louis and Davidson are currently battling it out seventh place. Davidson owns the tiebreaker. Normally I would prefer to play St Louis because of Davidson’s style of play and better coach, but I would prefer to play Davidson this year. I could see a scenario where Duquesne goes 3-4 the remainder of the regular season and possibly slips to the seventh slot.

We have two losses. St Bonaventure, VCU and Richmond have only 3 losses, Duquesne 4 losses, Davidson and St Louis with 5 losses. An eternity of games left to decide the Top 4 Seeds.

All 3 Bonaventure losses came without Osunniyi due to injury, they are (9-0) in A10 with Osunniyi.
Attachments
B96F3E90-AB81-4502-9DEE-2B036501CF3A.png
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just impossible to spot the #6 team in AP a 17-0 lead.

Dayton hit their first 7 shots, we missed our 1st 9 shots - end of story

Dayton first 7 makes = 17 points

Mikesell 2P
Toppin 2P
Crutcher 3P
Crutcher 3P
Toppin Dunk
Toppin 2P
Chatman 3P

URI first 9 misses included: 4 missed 3Ps, 5 missed 2Ps, plus 2 FT misses

Martin 3P
Langevine 2P
Dowtin 2P
Langevine FT
Langevine FT
Russell 2P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P
Harris 3P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P
Finally Langevine makes a layup 5 minutes 29 seconds into the game

We actually beat Dayton by 3 points over the last 35 minutes of the game is there is a silver lining.
5 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Just impossible to spot the #6 team in AP a 17-0 lead.

Mikesell 2P
Toppin 2P
Crutcher 3P
Crutcher 3P
Toppin Dunk
Toppin 2P
Chatman 3P

Martin 3P
Langevine 2P
Dowtin 2P
Langevine FT
Langevine FT
Russell 2P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P
Harris 3P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P

We actually beat Dayton by 3 points over the last 35 minutes of the game is there is a silver lining.
And the refs have issued you a technical foul for excessive use of logic.
7 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Thats because we had Cyril out at the top of the key near the 3 point line. I was screaming about this all game.
Ok, so why in the world is Cyril ever out near the 3 point line?!?! The lack of feeding the post was blatantly obvious imo.
Pick and roll people have you guys watched other college ball games happens all the time when you have trouble getting entry passes into the post. You run pick and roll and sometimes have fatts or jeff curl off Cyril with the hall. Can create easy pick and roll with cyrils improving passing ability. Obviously would have liked more post touches but how did the first three post touches do in the game. Not great right
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

A pick and roll with Cyril having the ball can turn into a two on one when fatts or jeff curl off him and jeff or fatts defender is stuck behind Cyril and the two head to the basket. Part of the man to man offense. Also allows the wings to back door cut. How many times do you see this in a princeton style offense. Also pulls obi from rim so the lane isnt clogged and fatts can get to the rim. Obviously it didnt work great last night but h ou w did it work the 10 games prior to that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I thought Bill was referencing Ryan Daly with the comment, never thought it was intended to be a dig at Fatts.
5 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

ok on to the next one. No need to discuss this one at all.
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I thought Bill was referencing Ryan Daly with the comment, never thought it was intended to be a dig at Fatts.
I’ll defend Fatts with my life (not really) and am still mad about something Bill said months ago, and I thought it was pretty clear that wasn’t about Fatts. Daly, Severe- those are the kind of guys I imagine he was talking about.

The game sucked, but I’m pretty sure people are still allowed to talk about it here. I hated that game for Jacob. Most people get it, but I hope some continue to be patient with him and limit the comparisons to his brother. He doesn’t need that.
6 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While I’m glad Fatts is fired up and has March 4th penciled in for a revenge game, there are 4 other games before then that can’t be overlooked. Starting Saturday vs. St. Joe’s. Per usual one game at a time.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I thought Bill was referencing Ryan Daly with the comment, never thought it was intended to be a dig at Fatts.
I’ll defend Fatts with my life (not really) and am still mad about something Bill said months ago, and I thought it was pretty clear that wasn’t about Fatts. Daly, Severe- those are the kind of guys I imagine he was talking about.

The game sucked, but I’m pretty sure people are still allowed to talk about it here. I hated that game for Jacob. Most people get it, but I hope some continue to be patient with him and limit the comparisons to his brother. He doesn’t need that.
I couldn’t agree more with most of this. I had also assumed he was referring to someone like Daly, who has been amazing this year, ridiculous at times even. But on a winless team. And as he said, more of compliment to Landers than anything else.

I've always found Bill Koch to be more than fair. When I've been mad at something he has written, it is usually because he was right about something that I didn't want to hear the truth about through my Keaney Blue colored glasses. I would be interested to see what you were mad about. I'm sure it has merit, but it would be atypical from my experience in reading his tweets, so I'm curious.

Welcome back, Ace, it's good to see you posting again!
Last edited by steviep123 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 4 years ago

What did he say months ago?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Get right game on Saturday, blow em out.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago While I’m glad Fatts is fired up and has March 4th penciled in for a revenge game, there are 4 other games before then that can’t be overlooked. Starting Saturday vs. St. Joe’s. Per usual one game at a time.

exactly

keep the eye on the price (ncaa)

we cannot screw up in any games other than dayton

we really need to be focused here

we have some landmines ahead of us

win all games outside of daytonand we wil be ncaa bound

dayton will be that cherry on top of the sundae

FOCUS o the big picture and don't throw away what we have worked for all season long in the last few weeks here

AGITA
3 x
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

The game started like the "imperfect storm" for the team. Dayton came out smokin and the team came out nervous and then started to press and before you knew it down 17-0.....Won't happen like that at home for the rematch. I hope Dayton ends up a big favorite again because I see it playing out with a W.

I'm sure they will be very up for St Joes on Saturday now (might not have been)

Then get a very important week off to rest and PRACTICE before a big game at Davidson. Practice time at this juncture should be a real boost for their play.

I like them going on another win streak.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Just impossible to spot the #6 team in AP a 17-0 lead.

Mikesell 2P
Toppin 2P
Crutcher 3P
Crutcher 3P
Toppin Dunk
Toppin 2P
Chatman 3P

Martin 3P
Langevine 2P
Dowtin 2P
Langevine FT
Langevine FT
Russell 2P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P
Harris 3P
Russell 3P
Martin 2P

I agree with this completely, but would just add also that it was not just a fluke or bad luck that the game started this way. They made good looks and we missed tough looks - they created good chances for themselves and we didn’t. They looked more ready to go from the start of the game than we did on both ends of the floor.

However, two things: (1) factoring in the above, typically even given all the same scoring looks for both teams, Dayton is more likely to be 4-7 than 7-7 and we’d be more likely to be 2-9 than 0-9, and in that scenario the game starts like 10-5 after 5 minutes and not 17-0, which as ramster said is just not going to be overcome against that team in that building; and (2) if we hadn’t bounced back to slightly outplay them or at least play them evenly over the last 35 minutes, the way they totally outclassed us in the first five minutes would concern me much more. But we did bounce back and I think we will move forward with a bit of a chip on our shoulder, which this group has generally done well with over the course of almost 2 seasons now.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The whole Toppin showdown talk was nothing but a distraction, and it will be unavoidable for the return game as well. Given the starkly different roles they play for each team it serves no purpose and puts undue pressure on Jacob to perform, and Coach Cox to play him.
4 x
BlackDogRants
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BlackDogRants »

I know this game has been beat to death at this point... but I feel better at least venting what a saw.

That might have been Dayton's best game of the season - certainly in conference play. It was absolutely one of our worst. It became the perfect storm of suck. Our defense broke down, our offense broke down, free throw shooting was poor - a killer. I dont want to single anyone out or use their names because they're just kids - but a certain sophomore highly touted recruit was getting absolutely OWNED last night. Probably accounted for Dayton getting about a 8-10 of those opening points.

Then from there it was the players attitudes... when they start visibly arguing with each other on court - its not good.

I think the fouls disturbed the flow of the game but not the outcome - there was equally poor calls on both teams. I will say I didn't like the clear make up call (that turned into a technical) while we were on a run and brought it to within 9.

Overall I dont think we are as bad as we looked last night - and I might get flamed for saying this - I dont think Dayton is as good as they looked last night.

I wish we could have won this one or at least made it competitive. I wanted that marquee win. A win last night would have been a "remember when" win ..."Remember when URI went into Dayton on a 10 game win streak and beat the #6 team in the country to lock up first place in the A-10, cement their tournament at-large bid, and became a top 25 the following Monday." Its just exhausting being that "almost famous" mid major.
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

We just did a similar thing to VCU at home, I'm not that worried at this point. Hopefully we recover quickly and focus down on the next task. As a few have pointed out 17-0 deficit, that's hard to overcome away at Dayton. And I hand to Dayton, they won this game with strong defense for 40 minutes. Fatts scored 19 and didn't look bad doing it, but they had him and Dowtin frustrated most of the night, they were in our jocks, not that I'll watch this one again but if I did I would count the number of times we couldn't even get a clean hand-off never mind passes. So we regroup and the guys get a taste of what needs to be done to get to the next level, basically we got a preview of tournament intensity. Now we rise, we don't shrink, we rise!
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I am not disappointed in the score itself, but the way we started was unexpected IMO. We were tentative and nervous which surprised me. Dayton is really good that’s obvious. The team needs to just let it go and move on. St Joes coming in should be a good opportunity to regroup and start a new streak
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

I wasn't referencing any specific player. It was completely arbitrary.

Again, the tweet was an appreciation of Landers. When it comes all-conference time, give me a winning player on a great team rather than a volume scorer on a bad team. Period. That's it.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago

Again, the tweet was an appreciation of Landers. When it comes all-conference time, give me a winning player on a great team rather than a volume scorer on a bad team. Period. That's it.
Confusion about your tweet aside, I completely agree with you and I think most basketball people do, too. It’s too bad that the conference’s coaches don’t share that theory, or at least they didn’t when they voted on the 2017-18 conference awards - one of the all-time traveshamockeries that has basically made the awards themselves almost meaningless to me.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

you too TP? were you complaining when URI got a 5 point play after martin carried the ball? or when cyril traveled 3 times before making a layup?

i'm embarrassed for any URI fan that complains about the officiating in the last 2 minutes of the first half of this game.
I’m embarrassed that you’re embarrassed.

The Dayton kid was all by himself and knocked the ball out of bounds. The eggshell psyche refs get mad at other people when they fuck up on TV and T people up because they’re humiliated. They’re cowardly reaction to being terrible at their job cost URI all the work they did to get back into the game.

tp...you mean all the hard work we did by carrying the ball and not getting called for it? yes...horrible call went against URI at the end of the half, but you weren't complaining when at least 3 or 4 blown calls went our way in the first half. keep watching the game through your rose colored glasses.
Why do PC fans post on our board during games.....pretty pathetic.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago

I agree. I had previously mentioned Bill probably meant someone like Daly because he fits the mold of a high scorer on a bad team. But not specifically him or anyone else. Just a high scorer on a bad team and “19” is as good a number as any to fit that.

Bill has always been a winning play advocate. How many times did he tweet “winning play” after Stan Robinson took a charge or a Rhody player won a loose ball 2 years ago?

The answer is many many times.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago don't miss the rematch at the riley center at URI next month
Yes! And I hope Dana gets off the bench for that one!
2 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

BlackDogRants wrote: 4 years ago
Then from there it was the players attitudes... when they start visibly arguing with each other on court - its not good.
^ this. once i started seeing this I knew we weren't going to come back. I see this a lot from Fatts and Dowtin, being the leaders on the floor for the team I expect to see them talking about what happened / went wrong, but when I see them doing it with frustration, that's bad leadership. I notice Walker gets a lot of flack on defense, he seems to constantly lose his guy.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago We just did a similar thing to VCU at home, I'm not that worried at this point. Hopefully we recover quickly and focus down on the next task. As a few have pointed out 17-0 deficit, that's hard to overcome away at Dayton. And I hand to Dayton, they won this game with strong defense for 40 minutes. Fatts scored 19 and didn't look bad doing it, but they had him and Dowtin frustrated most of the night, they were in our jocks, not that I'll watch this one again but if I did I would count the number of times we couldn't even get a clean hand-off never mind passes. So we regroup and the guys get a taste of what needs to be done to get to the next level, basically we got a preview of tournament intensity. Now we rise, we don't shrink, we rise!
Agree. The team looked shaken by how Dayton was straight up in their grill around picks and handoffs
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago don't miss the rematch at the riley center at URI next month
lol I thought I heard that one too, good work by the TV crew there
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure they also said that Jacob had grown 3 inches since January. That's pretty impressive, 3 inches in 2 weeks...
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm pretty sure they also said that Jacob had grown 3 inches since January. That's pretty impressive, 3 inches in 2 weeks...
I was just about to ask if anybody else heard this. By the St. Joe's game he might be 7 feet!
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Any insight on who the tech was called on from the Rhody bench?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

I was just about to ask if anybody else heard this. By the St. Joe's game he might be 7 feet!
And if this growth spurt continues, if my calculations are correct, by the beginning of next season, he'll be 11'2". He'll definitely start if this happens.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Dayton was very impressive, their offense I think we were all aware of, but the defense their guards played was incredible all night. They just took us out of anything we were trying to run, and gave Russell and Dowtin fits. They were physical and nasty all night and both teams were exhausted at the end of that game.

This is the type of game where they really miss a low post scoring option. That is where Dayton can be had, but we have no one who can score in the low post with any kind of consistency. It might have been nice to actually throw it in there and give it a try though as nothing else was working.

Dayton played an A game and we played a C game, and this was the result. In order to win at the Ryan, we need to play an A game and Dayton needs to play a B level game. If they both play their best games, Dayton wins that game. They may have the best two players in the A10, Toppin is definitely the best and I think Cruthcher is right up there as well. I love Fatts, but Cruthcher is awesome as well.

Oh and that Ref, James Breeding is the same ref we had at the WV game at the Mohegan who was terrible in that game, and also in this one. As soon as I saw his face, I had flashbacks to yelling at him constantly at that game and honestly thought it was one of the worst refereed games I had ever witnessed. He called a T on Cox in that game, and another on Harris because he had the audacity to look at him. And last night again with the real quick tech whistles on both Cox and Grant. Google him, he sucks and is a crap ref. I cannot stand when the Refs think they are part of the show, and they are beyond being questioned when bone headed calls are made, but that is this dude in spades. He is like a bad cop, they will let you know that they have all the power. I hope to never see his face again ever reffing a URI game.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I’m embarrassed that you’re embarrassed.

The Dayton kid was all by himself and knocked the ball out of bounds. The eggshell psyche refs get mad at other people when they fuck up on TV and T people up because they’re humiliated. They’re cowardly reaction to being terrible at their job cost URI all the work they did to get back into the game.

tp...you mean all the hard work we did by carrying the ball and not getting called for it? yes...horrible call went against URI at the end of the half, but you weren't complaining when at least 3 or 4 blown calls went our way in the first half. keep watching the game through your rose colored glasses.
Why do PC fans post on our board during games.....pretty pathetic.
I'm a URI alum and URI fan. Just don't act like a "yahoo" fan like others on this board do at times. I can be a fan of a team and still be impartial about the way refs are calling a game. the refs sucked last night for both sides. what the "yahoos" don't want to admit is that it was horrible officiating against dayton that allowed us to close the gap to 9. With good officiating, we could have been down 20 by the time the technical was called on URI. anyone that doesn't think that was an OBVIOUS carry on martin which led to a technical and 5 point play for the rams is just plain watching the game with their keaney blue eye glasses. and there were several other calls that went against dayton as well in the first half.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Keep the faith. Beat them in the return and set up a big championship showdown.
1 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Looks like Fatts has a few stitches based on his IG story.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Fatts has a few stitches based on his IG story.
I think Fatts might be the basketball version of Denzel in Man On Fire right now. He is legit not happy, and I am legit here for it.
5 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

BRING BACK THE JARVIS GARRETT MASK!
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Looks like Fatts has a few stitches based on his IG story.
I think Fatts might be the basketball version of Denzel in Man On Fire right now. He is legit not happy, and I am legit here for it.
Yeah I really didn't think I could actually love him more, but here we are!
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

Haven't really posted all season but because I'm a superstitious weirdo, I didn't want to during our win streak. Well now that's over and here I am.

A few observations from last nights game...

- That was your classic "this is a Top-10 team, so you need to withstand the early barrage" type game. And Rhody clearly did not. In those moments when the refs allow the super physical play early, you can't settle for contested jumpers. I thought Fatts or Jeff should've tried to get to the rim more in those first few possessions. At least try to draw contact and slow things down. Get them on their heels. Instead 3-minutes in the game was essentially over.

- I'm very puzzled by some of the takes on here. Specifically the Harris and the "don't complain about the refs" takes. This isn't professional sports. Harris is a student athlete who is playing his ass off for us. Has he played as well as we hoped he would when he signed? No, and no one is arguing that he has. But I find the agenda of shitting on the kid every other post fascinatingly strange. He's not a pro athlete under performing on a big contract, but you're acting like he is. Like there's an entitlement behind it. Quite frankly it's weird.

And as far as taking issue with those complaining about the refs...what is your angle? That everyone should shut up and accept the loss? It was a very poorly officiated game that featured 7 T's and tons of inconsistent calls. You don't look at the individual calls in a vacuum. You look at how those calls effect the game. There were missed travels all over, including one of Martin, one on CL and one on the Toppin windmill. The sequence at the end of the 1st half with the rabbit eared official was bad. And the guy who jumped on Fatts for no reason pissed me off too. The game had zero flow and that is on the officials.

- I haven't heard anyone mention how Rhody handled Dayton when they took it to the hoop. I felt that there were at least a half dozen instances where a change could've been easily drawn but we sidestepped instead. And that's not me accusing our guys of avoiding a charge, it just looked like there was a conscious effort to keep play in front of them and avoid easy alley-oops or lobs to Toppin.

- Speaking of Obie, that's the best player I've seen in the A-10 since David West.

- One minor complaint I've had all season is: Fatts is so good at breaking down his man and getting to the hoop. I wonder why they don't run more alleyoop attempts to our Toppin off those kinds of plays. Now I know you can't make a living doing that, but I feel like it would be there at least twice a game.

- Not that this has anything to do with last nights game, but I'm terrified about that Davidson game. I know we defend the 3 well and that's how they make a living, but for whatever reason I don't feel great about it.

Go Rhody!
5 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

mstyles...if you are referring to me taking issue with people complaining about the refs...my angle is that those complaining are only looking at bad calls in one direction. they claim that the out of bounds/tech at the end of the first half changed momentum. i agree with this. however, what they fail to mention is that a similarly bad call prior to that out of bounds play gave us momentum. both teams got 5 point plays that they shouldn't have gotten and both plays gave teams momentum. it was a wash.

for most of the first half, while we were getting steamrolled i was actually laughing at how bad the officiating was in our favor. We could have been down 25 points! But not one mention was made about the crappy officiating until URI got burned. it's par for the course on this board.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I thought you said we could have been down 20 pts. Next post will it be 30? You have no idea if it could have actually gone the other way as well. Stop with the bullshit.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago I thought you said we could have been down 20 pts. Next post will it be 30? You have no idea if it could have actually gone the other way as well. Stop with the bullshit.

sorry 67. i did say 20. who know's what it would have been...you're right it could have gone the other way. if the refs didn't help us in the first half with crappy calls we may have had the lead! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Forgive me if this was already posted here, but it's pretty inexcusable behavior for an older brother.

0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

the more i've posted about my issue with people complaining about officiating the more i realize i am in the extreme minority. to the pleasure of many i'm sure, i will no longer post regarding this subject. i'll just sit on the sidelines and snicker at all the whining on this board. waaaa....the refs screwed us again....waaaaaa
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago mstyles...if you are referring to me taking issue with people complaining about the refs...my angle is that those complaining are only looking at bad calls in one direction. they claim that the out of bounds/tech at the end of the first half changed momentum. i agree with this. however, what they fail to mention is that a similarly bad call prior to that out of bounds play gave us momentum. both teams got 5 point plays that they shouldn't have gotten and both plays gave teams momentum. it was a wash.

for most of the first half, while we were getting steamrolled i was actually laughing at how bad the officiating was in our favor. We could have been down 25 points! But not one mention was made about the crappy officiating until URI got burned. it's par for the course on this board.
You seriously still don't get this? If I am going to complain about a call, do I really need to also list out a full play by play of every other call that happened in the game to show that I am being fair to the precious refs?

You keep saying you agree that the refs were terrible. But then also say anyone complaining about it is a whiner. So I guess you're also a whiner, but you're just whining on behalf of our opponents to? You are clearly just a much more advanced fan than the rest of us and you'll need to accept us for the "yahoos" we are.
2 x
mstyles22
Kenny Green

Unread post by mstyles22 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago the more i've posted about my issue with people complaining about officiating the more i realize i am in the extreme minority. to the pleasure of many i'm sure, i will no longer post regarding this subject. i'll just sit on the sidelines and snicker at all the whining on this board. waaaa....the refs screwed us again....waaaaaa
You keep saying Rhody "should've been down more". Dayton started the game 7 for 7 including a few 3's. Rhody started 1-10 including many missed FT's. We were down 17-0. But we should've been down more? Dayton was supposed to hit their first 13 shots instead?

I don't know if you frequent boards of other teams, but I find this place to be pretty reasonable compared to others that I've seen. I don't take issue with complaints, warranted or not. Some fans do it to deal with the stress and emotions of the game, they always have and always will in any sport. But taking up a stance against that or "snickering at whining" is an odd position to take. What's the end game? That makes you a better or more honorable fan?

Anyway, any and all potential blame on officials got thrown out the window when Rhody went cold for a long stretch in the middle of the 2nd half where they could've cut into the lead but didn't.
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

mstyles22 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago the more i've posted about my issue with people complaining about officiating the more i realize i am in the extreme minority. to the pleasure of many i'm sure, i will no longer post regarding this subject. i'll just sit on the sidelines and snicker at all the whining on this board. waaaa....the refs screwed us again....waaaaaa
You keep saying Rhody "should've been down more". Dayton started the game 7 for 7 including a few 3's. Rhody started 1-10 including many missed FT's. We were down 17-0. But we should've been down more? Dayton was supposed to hit their first 13 shots instead?

I don't know if you frequent boards of other teams, but I find this place to be pretty reasonable compared to others that I've seen. I don't take issue with complaints, warranted or not. Some fans do it to deal with the stress and emotions of the game, they always have and always will in any sport. But taking up a stance against that or "snickering at whining" is an odd position to take. What's the end game? That makes you a better or more honorable fan?

Anyway, any and all potential blame on officials got thrown out the window when Rhody went cold for a long stretch in the middle of the 2nd half where they could've cut into the lead but didn't.

for clarification purposes...i was not suggesting we would have been down more when it was 17-0. i was suggesting we would have been down by much more than 9 points when the out of bounds/tech foul was called. i won't get into specifics because as adam indicated, we don't do a play by play of bad calls...unless of course those bad calls went against us.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What I will not do: blame officials for my team losing a game in which we trailed 17-0; claim the officials are biased against my team with no substantiation; claim the game is fixed or that referees bet on the game; make physical threats of violence against officials, even as a joke (admittedly working on this one).

What I will do, happily, all the time: call out shitty officiating that hurts my team; acknowledge that most refs are terrible human beings.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Next time I am at a game if anyone boos a bad call I am going to go up to each individual fan and demand that they also yell out to the refs about all the calls that helped us to.
2 x