2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

Game was over in the first 4 mins.

If we’re honest game was over Sunday. They weren’t ready. They were too tight. The no press availability should’ve been indicative of that.

Embarrassing performance but at the end of the day it’s a Q1 loss.

We all knew this was a game we could lose. And we did. But now you really can’t afford a loss to anyone not named Dayton the rest of the way.

Burn the tape. Loosen up. Take it to joes on Saturday.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago don't miss the rematch at the riley center at URI next month
These announcers only researched Jacob and Obi. Nothing else. 😂
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Out shot from the get go. It was the difference in the game. They shot 50, 26, 85. We shot 29, 20, 68. They made 8 more baskets on 12 FEWER shots. We knew we had to shoot well to win. We didn’t.
1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Let’s try something different:

Can anyone tell me anything we did well or anyone that played well tonight?

Free throws? Defense? Shooting? Subs? Layups? Transition? Taking care of the ball?

Burn this tape. Worst game in a year.
I love how you have all the answers bro.

We lost.

We rung off 10 in a row, and lost tonight. It’s the nature of the game dude.

We didn’t play well tonight, that’s all, that’s it. Accountability is always across board.

We aren’t fucking Baylor, we are, who we are.

We can clutch our pearls, and cry like bitches, or we can regroup and battle back the remainder of the season.

These kids ain’t robots, 7 techs will tell you that they are just as angry and vested in the game as we could possibly want them to be. For whatever reason we didn’t have it tonight and Dayton is fucking FORREAL. I feel that even with a great 40 minutes against their great 40 minutes and this still would be a toss up.

Stop pouting, buck up and let’s go fucking win the next 8-10.

No we did not play well, obviously. But we looked lost out there for most of the game that is what people are upset about. It happens but it was ugly out there. We looked like a JV on defense for large stretches of the game.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Let’s erase that game from our memories. Definitely didn’t bring our A game. Lots of whistles...reminded me of a hs field hockey game. Not sure what we could have done better or worse. Just looked flat, especially the first 10 shots. Regroup and come back hard next game...
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Game was over in the first 4 mins.

If we’re honest game was over Sunday. They weren’t ready. They were too tight. The no press availability should’ve been indicative of that.

We all knew this was a game we could lose. And we did. But now you really can’t afford a loss to anyone not named Dayton the rest of the way.

agree blue man...but also don't think we can afford another beat down against dayton either...even if we were to win all other games.
3 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Got to re group after this lost and start another streak Saturday!

Let’s not let this game affect how good of a Season we have had this far. We still have a lot to play for.
A-10 championship and of course
NCAA or BUST baby!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Free throws? Defense? Shooting? Subs? Layups? Transition? Taking care of the ball?

I love how you have all the answers bro.

We lost.

We rung off 10 in a row, and lost tonight. It’s the nature of the game dude.

We didn’t play well tonight, that’s all, that’s it. Accountability is always across board.

We aren’t fucking Baylor, we are, who we are.

We can clutch our pearls, and cry like bitches, or we can regroup and battle back the remainder of the season.

These kids ain’t robots, 7 techs will tell you that they are just as angry and vested in the game as we could possibly want them to be. For whatever reason we didn’t have it tonight and Dayton is fucking FORREAL. I feel that even with a great 40 minutes against their great 40 minutes and this still would be a toss up.

Stop pouting, buck up and let’s go fucking win the next 8-10.
My bad bro dude chief guy buddy.

How is any of that pouting? What in my statement is false? No one is crying like bitches. Factual statement that was the worst 4 minutes of basketball I may have ever seen in my life. I’ve watched a lot of basketball. I cannot for the life of me remember ANY game that started 17-0.

I’m literally saying the same thing you are. It’s not an indictment of the team. We had a really bad game in a spot we could afford a loss. Burn the tape, loosen up, start a new streak.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago

agree blue man...but also don't think we can afford another beat down against dayton either...even if we were to win all other games.
Yes, if we win all our games besides Dayton we will be in the NCAAT. Take care of business down the road and we will be fine.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Agree on everything here. We all thought they might and probably would lose at Dayton. We all thought they would be more competitive. This isn’t a crippling loss, but if we don’t plan on pulling an upset at home against Dayton than we best take care of business in the other games or we will sit there rooting against upsets and bubble teams in the conference tourneys. Take it one game at a time again going forward
Last edited by RamStock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The final score made it look more respectable for anyone just looking at results. It was however really never respectable as the Rams were never in it from the get go. Rhody had a good ten game stretch and was due for a poor performance. Better to have it in a game versus a top team that we were not expected to beat. Would suck more to have had this type of effort against a lesser team and lose. Need to immediately forget this game. Cannot dwell on it. Hopefully there is no hangover effect as seemed to be the case with Richmond after Brown loss. Reset the focus and get back to winning again on Saturday. Still plenty of games left. The NCAA end goal is still attainable.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago adam...you will never hear me complain about the refs, but i agree they absolutely suck this game. what i find embarrassing are those on this board that only complain about the bad calls that go against uri and dismiss the calls that go in our favor. and like it or not...far more calls went our way and we were still getting blown out in the 1st half.
Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see anybody blaming the refs for the loss. Just people mentioning bad calls that they see as they happen. Of course no fan of any team is going to complain when a call goes their way. That would be weird.
of course...i wouldn't expect anyone to complain about bad calls that go our way. i wouldn't either, but i would certainly remember/mention them if i started complaining about a call that went against us. and while they didn't say that the bad officiating cost us the game, they certainly whined about it changing momentum....which it did, but similar bad calls helped us get momentum in the first half.
Alright, well its pointless for us to go on and on about it at this point because it seems everyone agrees that the refs sucked and also we did not lose because of it. But I think you might be expecting too much if you want a bunch of fans on a message board to not complain about a call unless they also provide equal evidence of calls that helped us. We aren't journalists here, just a bunch of fans talking about things that frustrated them in a terrible game.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I did hear a piece where Obi said Jacob will be better than him? Did I hear that correctly? I’ll drink to that!

Onto St Joes!
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

So shooting 28% and 3-15 (20%) wouldn't lead to a Rhody win? Shocking. I was worried as during this streak we have been so much higher than the start of the season as well as last season. Seemed we were overperforming and the shots wouldn't fall eventually. Just a tough night for this to happen though.
2 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

Disappointing? Sure. Surprising? No.

But there was no way we were going to beat Dayton three times this season — and if we were gonna lose one this was the one to lose. We can still beat them twice!
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

This was not the best game from Rhody by any of the players and its tough to not be disappointed with how great a win would have felt. But it's one game and the only road game they have lost in conference so far. It is not embarrassing at all we had an off game against a top 5 team in nation on their own court. We still have 2 loses in conference and are sitting alone in 2nd. It is about how they respond from this game and turn the page to finish the season strong. A game you forget about move on and put your head down and continue to take it one game at a time.

I would be extremely surprised if this team doesnt give Dayton all the got come senior night.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

oh my god dude, drop the fucking press bullshit. So you’re telling me they would’ve played different if they could’ve spoke to Kate Roberson, Nick Coit and Bill Koch.

Jesus Christ, go to bed.

WE JUST LOST TO A BETTER FUCKING TEAM!

Straight up.

Dayton is good enough to be #2. They are built and play like a final four team.

My god man, just log off for a minute, and I’m saying this because I love ya man.

I know your just venting and doing what you do whenever we lose or you feel like we were embarrassed, but we are OK.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We couldn’t have been tighter in those first 10 minutes. Looked like a deer in headlights. Did not play like a grizzled experienced team. Lost composure at times and resorted to selfish basketball, getting techs is part of that. They dictated that game and we were on our heels. Dayton has a level of spurtability no one can match in the A10, when they are shooting like that and you are shooting in the teens it’s going to get ugly. Really disappointing performance, now we see how we react.
10 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Well this is one of the most irrelevant Tweets of all time. Stick to Matlock, old man.
4 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I did hear a piece where Obi said Jacob will be better than him? Did I hear that correctly? I’ll drink to that!

Onto St Joes!
I highly doubt that. I like Jacob, but that is highly unlikely. It sounds like a older brother sticking up for his younger brother.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

I knew I’d be impressed with Dayton offense, but really impressed with their defense.
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I did hear a piece where Obi said Jacob will be better than him? Did I hear that correctly? I’ll drink to that!

Onto St Joes!
I highly doubt that. I like Jacob, but that is highly unlikely. It sounds like a older brother sticking up for his younger brother.
I know...he’ll be a different player when he adds weight. Excited about his future. His junior year is when we should expect a potential breakout year.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I do think it's important to take a step back and call out a few things so that in the event things don't go as planned tonight - it is college basketball after-all - we don't all jump off the ledge and can understand what we're up against.
  • This would be the fourth best win in all of college basketball this year. San Diego State, Baylor, and Gonzaga are all undefeated at home (the teams in front of Dayton in Ken Pom or NET), Duke has losses to Stephen F. Austin and Louisville at home and Kansas lost to Baylor at home...this would be one of our best wins of all time from a metrics standpoint
  • This isn't a normal A10 team. They are #2 in offensive efficiency behind only Gonzaga and have a wealth of upperclassmen experience and a balanced scoring attack
  • They have arguably the best A10 player EVER on their team. A legitimate frontrunner for NPOY and lottery pick. We're talking Lamar Odom, Marcus Camby, David West, Jameer Nelson etc. type talent.
  • They are playing in front of 13,000+ fans. Tickets are moving for $300-500. There's some serious hype around this game and they haven't lost at home this year. In fact, they haven't lost in regulation this year.
Are they beatable? Absolutely. We have incredible talent and the type of physicality required to give them a game. But this isn't a top 20 team, they are top 5, and I think they are the A10s most likely final four team since Nelson and West were wearing a St. Joseph's uniform.

We also get two shots at them...win or lose tonight we see them at least once more this year - and maybe even a third time in Brooklyn.
Postgame Reminder
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Look at their numbers. They are very efficient. It is why they have a top ten NET. We can learn a lot from their performance especially since we hope to have an Obi clone in two years.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The one good thing is we Could not ask for a better week and a half after this game. A weekend home game against the worst team in the conference followed by a week off to rest, regroup, and get ready for the stretch run.
5 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

What was that ? Who were those guys kin blue ? They looked totally frightened to start the game . They were tighter than a drum . Was it
nerves ? I don't know but they looked intimidated , completely lacking in confidence , just throwing up shots like earlier in the season . I hope they got
it all out of their systems because they can't go into the NCAA tournament playing like that without embarrassing themselves . They did not look like the same players I watched play their last five games . Dayton is talented, but they didn't even need to play one of their better games to win the way URI
was playing . Very surprised by their performance . Hope it doesn't carry over to the St. Joes game and the St.Louis game because if it does they will ruin their chance to still have a special season and perhaps deliver a payback on March 4 . We are still with you guys Jeff and Fatts et al . Looking forward to better days ahead.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last year the Rams were routed at VCU in the 25th game and came back to finish strong. Tonight in their 24th game, the Rams were routed at Dayton. Let's hope we can replicate last year's strong finish!!!
5 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago don't miss the rematch at the riley center at URI next month
These announcers only researched Jacob and Obi. Nothing else. 😂
"Not that there's anything wrong with that." 😀
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Onto St Joes!
You did. I heard it too.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

The Dayton forum was crapping on the refs too. Love the A10. Would like to have seen Fatts, Cox or TM earn a tech at the end of that game. Each tech on UD or URI in that game seemed ticky-tacky. Words? Trash talk? Come on man, not tech worthy. This is basketball not ballet... God I miss 90s basketball. If NCAA b-ball turns into the modern NBA, I may give up on the sport all together.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I’m pissed

Tired of not showing up to at least make this a game

But I am focused

Focused to not throw away the great resume set so far

Time to focus and go get that NCAA bid
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Well this is one of the most irrelevant Tweets of all time. Stick to Matlock, old man.

what a douche. how much tweeting did he do when we won 10 in a row including twice against vcu?
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago The one good thing is we Could not ask for a better week and a half after this game. A weekend home game against the worst team in the conference followed by a week off to rest, regroup, and get ready for the stretch run.

was just thinking this 15. i expect a let down after this loss, but being at home against the worse team in the league, we should survive it.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I think the team will find this a humbling, embarrassing experience which they will bounce from back big time.
2 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

We played the #6 team in the country @home, against the #1 player in all of college basketball, fronted them 17 points, played our worst 40 mins of the year, lost fatts for 8 mins due to injury, lost our composure, 7 techs called throughout the game, and only lost by 14. I'm never okay with a loss but there is some silver lining here (i'm letting my calmer side prevail)

-Circle March 4th!
-Throw this tape out
-Win Saturday
-Start a new winning streak next week

I still believe in this team and you should too!

Go Rhody
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What drove me nuts was the lack of calling a timeout to even attempt to stop the bleeding during one of their runs. With 8 and change left in the game we were down 23 and still somehow had three timeouts left. Everything was bad tonight from the coaching down. Just hope the loss doesn't drop us too far in the metrics and start over Saturday
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I'm still not sure I understand why Fatts got a tech taking the knee to the head.
I didnt see who it was from Dayton that came flying in like it was a fumble, but Fatts pushes his leg away after, the kid kicks him, and both T'd. Did I miss something on that interaction?
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

luke wrote: 4 years ago What was that ? Who were those guys kin blue ? They looked totally frightened to start the game . They were tighter than a drum . Was it
nerves ? I don't know but they looked intimidated , completely lacking in confidence , just throwing up shots like earlier in the season . I hope they got
it all out of their systems because they can't go into the NCAA tournament playing like that without embarrassing themselves . They did not look like the same players I watched play their last five games . Dayton is talented, but they didn't even need to play one of their better games to win the way URI
was playing . Very surprised by their performance . Hope it doesn't carry over to the St. Joes game and the St.Louis game because if it does they will ruin their chance to still have a special season and perhaps deliver a payback on March 4 . We are still with you guys Jeff and Fatts et al . Looking forward to better days ahead.
It didn’t help that Dayton hit their first seven shots. Tough to perform in those conditions under those circumstances. Certainly a learning experience.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago This game was lost in the first 5 minutes
.......yes, yes it was......I think the refs had little influence on that.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PMh (CBSSN)

The good news is we will probably have the same NET tomorrow morning and possibly even gain one or two.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
Refs had nothing to do with them getting out to a 17-0 lead.
1 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

what a douche. how much tweeting did he do when we won 10 in a row including twice against vcu?
Nothing. He was doing nothing. Stick to retirement, asswipe.
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

Was surprised that RI did not try a full court press or a half court trap to try to change the mojo and get back in the game in the 2nd half. It just felt like RI conceded defeat. Felt like they should have tried something different just to change things up.

I see this all the time in college basketball, the team that is down does not change their strategy to try to get back in the game, and I never understand why the losing team does not just try something different.
Last edited by daytonflyerfan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
........they must have had some negative impact to us, cause “ they are bad human beings.....”
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

15 i think you are missing 105's point. he is in agreement with you. "refs had little influence" is different than saying they had "a little influence".
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

We got beat. Not the end of the world. We are fine. Extremely tough place to play and Dayton is an excellent team. Keep your head up! Our great season will continue. We will get revenge on 3/4! Moving on to St Joes on Saturday. Let's go Rhody!
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Was surprised that RI did not try a full court press or a half court trap to try to change the mojo and get back in the game in the 2nd half. It just felt like RI conceded defeat. Felt like they should have tried something different just to change things up.

I see this all the time in college basketball, the team that is down does not change their strategy to try to get back in the game, and I never understand why the losing team does not just try something different.
I think you missed something.. they pressed/trapped for at least half the game
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

15 i think you are missing 105's point. he is in agreement with you. "refs had little influence" is different than saying they had "a little influence".
Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit when one is upset.
3 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Was surprised that RI did not try a full court press or a half court trap to try to change the mojo and get back in the game in the 2nd half. It just felt like RI conceded defeat. Felt like they should have tried something different just to change things up.

I think you missed something.. they pressed/trapped for at least half the game
I only watched the 2nd half, I did not see RI press or trap even once in the 2nd half. No?

Not even once.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit when one is upset.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x