2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago
Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think it was a slight to Bill.

I also don’t think that, right now, Cox and crew care about the “potential” miss on hyping this game up. I can almost assure you that, right now, the team in syncing and staying laser focused on the task at hand. They will need every bit of edge the can get going into tonight.

I really PERSONALLY don’t care about the media having a “woe is me” moment.

If Cox & Co. deem it as a potential distraction, whether it be for him or the team, then that’s what it is. What really matters is tonight....let’s move on from this non-story.
To be clear, I didn't take it as a personal slight whatsoever. I already had quotes from being on the road at GW. A day with no access actually gives me some time off in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't like it for my colleagues. They weren't given opportunity. And I've outlined my other points above. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree, but I wanted to make a genuine attempt at being transparent.

Of course the actual game deserves the headlines, and it will get them tonight.
to be fair, your colleagues at The Journal dont deserve it. They are nothing but PC cheerleaders that never pass up a chance to take put down URI or to promote anything PC does as the greatest thing as sliced bread. They can go pound tar.

Dont get me wrong, I may not always agree with you but I am a fan of your coverage. You cover the team as they should be and are a very good jounralist, and a worthy "successor" to Paul Kenyon.

Cox's #1 job is to win games. If he feels avoiding any unnecessary distractions is what's best for the team given the short turn around, then no one is qualified enough to question it.

As for promotion...a road game at #6 in the country promotes itself, they dont exactly need to trot out the players to convince the public that it's a major game with huge importance on their season.

I get your perspective as a journalist, but you had the foresight to plan ahead expecting this to happen. For your colleagues, I go back to what people say about Belichick and journalists, "its not his job to do yours for you and give you quotes"
Bravo, DPS.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I've been following Rams for near 50 years, I would or could argue that this is the biggest regular season ever. Considering all the factors, Dayton being ranked so high, Rhody chasing them a game behind and right outside of rankings, as well as being red hot riding a 10 game winning streak, Dayton with a POY candidate, Fatts having an A 10 POY season if not for Toppin, being on national tv for the nation to see. We played a St Joes who was #2 ( I believe) as a few have said, but e weren't as good as this year. One game that does stick out in my mind is 1988 vs Mark Macon and Temple coming to Keaney vs the great '88 team with Tommy Garrick and Silk. Temple if my mind serves me correctly was also about # 5 or 6 at the time and had reached #1 and was truly a great team and obviously that was one of the better URI teams of all time. Some of the older guys can correct me if I am incorrect on some of the details of that game. Either way, we are now in the present day so this is the biggest game and Tuesday if finally here, very excited. Go Rhody!
I was at that Temple game in '88. That was probably the most anticipated home game I can remember. Macon was only a freshman but was already considered to be one of the best players in the country. We only lost 7 games that year and 3 were to Temple (and obviously, 1 was to Duke). If we can win tonight and both teams hold serve until the final regular season game against Dayton, we'll both be 16-1 and playing for the title. That would be the game that might top the Temple game in '88. But once again, let's not get ahead of ourselves (or more accurately, myself) here .
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Then again, the lack of doing interviews, being available in public, becomes a storyline in itself. Kind of a reverse type of marketing.

Maybe Cox is saying since the Projo doesn’t bother to come to other road games like Saint Louis, VCU, Davidson, etc then why should I change my schedule now and talk to you because you are finally coming to Dayton where the rest of the College a Basketball world or reporting will also be tonight?

DC_Rams I’d be interested in your take on this?
The basic premise of this is patently false. I missed St. Bonaventure for my brother's bachelor party. I'll miss UMass for his wedding.

Otherwise, we're attending all conference road games. Did the same last year and the year before and the year before -- just look up the stories. I've been traveling with URI since the day I was hired in 2013-14.

Also, I'm one of two writers in the league who still actually travel on a regular basis for road games. Dayton Daily News is the other -- David Jablonski is fantastic. Richmond Times Dispatch didn't have a staff writer at the Ryan Center for Richmond or VCU. None of the D.C. schools or Philadelphia schools put anybody on the road.
If I call correctly, we gave the projo cr@p for not sending a reporter to either the Jamaica tournament or one of the big road games (at Md or at WVU) - I could look it up, but I don't have a lot of time today. Bill's response was skipping that game and using a stringer would allow the projo to send him or someone to the big conference road games. It's an unfortunate trade off. Also, KMac didn't go to Xavier for their game vs. Providence on Saturday (I think KMac covered Brown that night?). While I agree the projo can seem biased towards PC a lot, we are fortunate to have Bill Koch as our beat writer and that he goes to nearly every game over the past several years. While it would be great to have him at every game possible, this is not the world we live in.

Bill, congrats to your brother.

The local paper doesn't send someone for VCU? That's shocking!
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The theme of local and national media heading into this game, with the exception of Rothstein pushing Obi/Fatts, is the Toppin Brothers going against each other. That, coupled with Cyril getting POW in A10, is allowing Fatts to sneak a little bit under the radar for this one. I'm not sure if that's by design or not, but if all the focus is on Toppin/Toppin there should be a sense of calm around the rest of the group. We're playing with house money.

We can only hope Obi tries to do too much. IMO I'd rather have him shooting 3's than Crutcher or Watson and I'd rather have a more one dimensional offense with the ball stuck in his hands. I'm not saying he'll necessarily do that, but my hope is he tries to be a little more selfish with his little brother in town. He can takeover a game, but he normally does so with his scoring and his ability to find open teammates. Dayton is the #2 offense in the country behind Gonzaga. Do whatever it takes to make it uncomfortable for them and hope that Fatts/Tyrese/Dowtin/Cyril find their groove on offense.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

10 hours to go!!!
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let Obi score 30, SHUT DOWN EVERYONE ELSE.

I love having Dowtin/Fatts on Crutcher.

I love having Rese on Mikesell.(sp?)
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago Then again, the lack of doing interviews, being available in public, becomes a storyline in itself. Kind of a reverse type of marketing.

Maybe Cox is saying since the Projo doesn’t bother to come to other road games like Saint Louis, VCU, Davidson, etc then why should I change my schedule now and talk to you because you are finally coming to Dayton where the rest of the College a Basketball world or reporting will also be tonight?

DC_Rams I’d be interested in your take on this?
The basic premise of this is patently false. I missed St. Bonaventure for my brother's bachelor party. I'll miss UMass for his wedding.

Otherwise, we're attending all conference road games. Did the same last year and the year before and the year before -- just look up the stories. I've been traveling with URI since the day I was hired in 2013-14.

Also, I'm one of two writers in the league who still actually travel on a regular basis for road games. Dayton Daily News is the other -- David Jablonski is fantastic. Richmond Times Dispatch didn't have a staff writer at the Ryan Center for Richmond or VCU. None of the D.C. schools or Philadelphia schools put anybody on the road.
If I call correctly, we gave the projo cr@p for not sending a reporter to either the Jamaica tournament or one of the big road games (at Md or at WVU) - I could look it up, but I don't have a lot of time today. Bill's response was skipping that game and using a stringer would allow the projo to send him or someone to the big conference road games. It's an unfortunate trade off. Also, KMac didn't go to Xavier for their game vs. Providence on Saturday (I think KMac covered Brown that night?). While I agree the projo can seem biased towards PC a lot, we are fortunate to have Bill Koch as our beat writer and that he goes to nearly every game over the past several years. While it would be great to have him at every game possible, this is not the world we live in.

Bill referred to A10 Conference Road Games. I was wrong in thinking the PROJO did not always send reporters to A10 Road Games. I could have sworn I had heard it mentioned numerous times in KB that the PROJO did not always support A10 Conference games due to Money. My bad.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I, for one, am happy Bill Koch is being more active here. He’s not perfect (no one is) but we could do a heckuva lot worse for a beat writer.
8 x
Slava Ukraini!
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago

Bill referred to A10 Conference Road Games. I was wrong in thinking the PROJO did not always send reporters to A10 Road Games. I could have sworn I had heard it mentioned numerous times in KB that the PROJO did not always support A10 Conference games due to Money. My bad.
They may have in the past, in fact, I know they have, but that may have been before the last few seasons, maybe even before Koch, as Kenyon's career was winding down. Hiring Hurley certainly changed some of that, and hiring Koch after Kenyon retired also did. If URI men's hoops wasn't at least somewhat important to the projo, they could have easily have cut way back on coverage after Kenyon retired. And frankly, if they don't fire Baron and hire Hurley, it may have happened (in my opinion. I have no evidence to support this).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

front page of local newspaper sports section

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/coll ... 709539002/
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is there a way to find out who the officiating crew is tonight? I think this is so important. I'm curious to see where the crew ranks in number of fouls called per game. If we get a crew that let's 'em play, we have a great shot at winning. If we have a crew that's going to call it tight and call fouls on Cyril for muscling Obi or for Fatts getting in Crutcher's jock strap, we could be in trouble. If we're allowed to play our physical style of defense, we have a great shot of winning this game.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago front page of local newspaper sports section

Good story.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Obi, obviously is used to being in the spotlight, however, personally speaking, I don’t like this tag line, at all. I’m hoping it doesn’t cause Jacob to force the issue and get beside himself. He’s still a freshman. He’s still a reserve player. He’s never played in front of 13,500. He’s been made the center of attention.

Maybe this is a good thing, maybe not...just another one of those things that make me a nervous Nellie.

End rant.

LFG!!!
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OhioRam32 »

I go to Miami (OH) which is 1 hr from Dayton. I saw tix for this game back in January and they were $18 for nosebleeds but my syllabi had not been posted yet so I held off so I could see if I had anything important due the next day. Dayton was #13 at this point. My syllabi were posted right after Dayton became #7. I checked tix....$110 for the same nosebleeds. See where being responsible got me?? It got me stuck in my apartment tonight dealing with buffering every few minutes trying to watch the biggest URI regular season game I can remember. There's a valuable lesson in that. Screw being responsible!!! Anyway, let's fucking win.
10 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago I, for one, am happy Bill Koch is being more active here. He’s not perfect (no one is) but we could do a heckuva lot worse for a beat writer.
Bill said to Kevin in their last "Pick and Pop" podcast, after Kevin said he wouldn't mind seeing the game live and covering it for Bill if he was sick or couldn't cover it, "Wild horses couldn't drag me away from covering [this URI game at Dayton]" and "It is games like these are what sports writers look forward to".
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago front page of local newspaper sports section

The Toppin brothers in earlier days:

Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This game is gonna take some HUGE balls. GET EM
1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is it game time yet?
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I do think it's important to take a step back and call out a few things so that in the event things don't go as planned tonight - it is college basketball after-all - we don't all jump off the ledge and can understand what we're up against.
  • This would be the fourth best win in all of college basketball this year. San Diego State, Baylor, and Gonzaga are all undefeated at home (the teams in front of Dayton in Ken Pom or NET), Duke has losses to Stephen F. Austin and Louisville at home and Kansas lost to Baylor at home...this would be one of our best wins of all time from a metrics standpoint
  • This isn't a normal A10 team. They are #2 in offensive efficiency behind only Gonzaga and have a wealth of upperclassmen experience and a balanced scoring attack
  • They have arguably the best A10 player EVER on their team. A legitimate frontrunner for NPOY and lottery pick. We're talking Lamar Odom, Marcus Camby, David West, Jameer Nelson etc. type talent.
  • They are playing in front of 13,000+ fans. Tickets are moving for $300-500. There's some serious hype around this game and they haven't lost at home this year. In fact, they haven't lost in regulation this year.
Are they beatable? Absolutely. We have incredible talent and the type of physicality required to give them a game. But this isn't a top 20 team, they are top 5, and I think they are the A10s most likely final four team since Nelson and West were wearing a St. Joseph's uniform.

We also get two shots at them...win or lose tonight we see them at least once more this year - and maybe even a third time in Brooklyn.
11 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Let Obi score 30, SHUT DOWN EVERYONE ELSE.

If Obi scores 30 I think we are in big trouble
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I do think it's important to take a step back and call out a few things so that in the event things don't go as planned tonight - it is college basketball after-all - we don't all jump off the ledge and can understand what we're up against.
  • This would be the fourth best win in all of college basketball this year. San Diego State, Baylor, and Gonzaga are all undefeated at home (the teams in front of Dayton in Ken Pom or NET), Duke has losses to Stephen F. Austin and Louisville at home and Kansas lost to Baylor at home...this would be one of our best wins of all time from a metrics standpoint
  • This isn't a normal A10 team. They are #2 in offensive efficiency behind only Gonzaga and have a wealth of upperclassmen experience and a balanced scoring attack
  • They have arguably the best A10 player EVER on their team. A legitimate frontrunner for NPOY and lottery pick. We're talking Lamar Odom, Marcus Camby, David West, Jameer Nelson etc. type talent.
  • They are playing in front of 13,000+ fans. Tickets are moving for $300-500. There's some serious hype around this game and they haven't lost at home this year. In fact, they haven't lost in regulation this year.
Are they beatable? Absolutely. We have incredible talent and the type of physicality required to give them a game. But this isn't a top 20 team, they are top 5, and I think they are the A10s most likely final four team since Nelson and West were wearing a St. Joseph's uniform.

We also get two shots at them...win or lose tonight we see them at least once more this year - and maybe even a third time in Brooklyn.
Agree. Perspective is always a prudent thing to marry with hope.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Great post 104

I think what is incredible with this Dayton team is they have not lost in regulation (Kansas in Maui, Colorado in Boulder)

Crazy to think if a possession or two went differently, we could be playing an undefeated team. Dayton is that damn good, but like you alluded to, they can be beat (SLU twice, Duquesne). Lets go boys!!! Lets be ready for the big lights and play your best basketball of the season
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Let Obi score 30, SHUT DOWN EVERYONE ELSE.

If Obi scores 30 I think we are in big trouble
Agreed, if Crutcher, Landers, Watson get hot look out, in addition to Obi going off
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
The Toppin brothers in earlier days:

Obi might be the star, but having that as your sparring partner, not to mention dad, everyday since you could walk, has got to be good for your game.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Beating Dayton is very much an uphill climb. Just keeping it close however will still be a win by most measures. Unlike other recent games, a loss tonight will not really damage URI.
0 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Agreed with above, everyone keep in mind this is a TOUGH game. I don't care how we fared last year, this Dayton team is out for blood and it is just as probable we lose by 20+ than win. This is our "gravy" game; a win to Dayton at home would still count as Q1.

That said, what I most want is to put our best foot forward in terms of effort and smart decisions. If the shots don't fall, they don't, and I'll accept whatever result. We likely need our shooting and 3-point percentages north of 50/40 respectively.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm thinking URI does what they did at VCU, and jumps out to a double digit lead and shuts down the crowd.

Second half the lead dwindles and it's a -3/3+ game either way at the end, right to the final minute.
0 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

OhioRam32 wrote: 4 years ago I go to Miami (OH) which is 1 hr from Dayton. I saw tix for this game back in January and they were $18 for nosebleeds but my syllabi had not been posted yet so I held off so I could see if I had anything important due the next day. Dayton was #13 at this point. My syllabi were posted right after Dayton became #7. I checked tix....$110 for the same nosebleeds. See where being responsible got me?? It got me stuck in my apartment tonight dealing with buffering every few minutes trying to watch the biggest URI regular season game I can remember. There's a valuable lesson in that. Screw being responsible!!! Anyway, let's fucking win.
THEY ARE DOWN TO $35, ALMOST TO MY TARGET. THAT DAMNED COLLEGE KID BUDGET. I AM PLAYIN THE GAME BABY, JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE. Would really appreciate everyone's support during this mentally trying time.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

URI is a race car. But, against a team like Dayton, they only have enough gas in the tank to dominate one half. You kind of have to pick your poison.

Do you want to paste them in the first half and hold on for dear life or do you want to try and keep it close in the first half and be the comeback kids in the second?
1 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

OhioRam32 wrote: 4 years ago
OhioRam32 wrote: 4 years ago I go to Miami (OH) which is 1 hr from Dayton. I saw tix for this game back in January and they were $18 for nosebleeds but my syllabi had not been posted yet so I held off so I could see if I had anything important due the next day. Dayton was #13 at this point. My syllabi were posted right after Dayton became #7. I checked tix....$110 for the same nosebleeds. See where being responsible got me?? It got me stuck in my apartment tonight dealing with buffering every few minutes trying to watch the biggest URI regular season game I can remember. There's a valuable lesson in that. Screw being responsible!!! Anyway, let's fucking win.
THEY ARE DOWN TO $35, ALMOST TO MY TARGET. THAT DAMNED COLLEGE KID BUDGET. I AM PLAYIN THE GAME BABY, JUST A LITTLE BIT MORE. Would really appreciate everyone's support during this mentally trying time.
Anybody else feel like contributing to get this kid in the building? We've all been there. I'm down
5 x
OhioRam32
Abdul Fox

gazakaza wrote: 4 years ago
OhioRam32 wrote: 4 years ago
Anybody else feel like contributing to get this kid in the building? We've all been there. I'm down
Oh wow, that is incredibly generous. I did not mean "support" in that way, just meant well wishes but thank you so much. This really is the best fanbase in the world
2 x
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Good thread. The more I think about this game the more I realize this is the biggest game of the regular season for Dayton. It is critical Dayton at least splits the series if they want to keep a realistic shot at a NCAA 2 seed. Lose this one and URI is in the driver's seat for the A10 1 seed. We fall to a 4 or maybe 5 NCAA seed without this home win. URI only has SLU at home. All road games are probable wins. Dayton still has VCU and URI on the road. I'm guessing the game in Kingston will be for the regular season title. Is it 7pm.yet?
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

reef wrote: 4 years ago My bet online account has URI +9.5 I think we cover that
I feel like this will either be a wire to wire game of runs, or a 10+ point win that could go either way.
um, DC, lol you said either one of the two teams will win a close one, or one of the two teams will win going away. That's a good bet, I'd like action on that one. Not being snarky bro, just sayin, that covers about 90% of possible outcomes.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago

To be clear, I didn't take it as a personal slight whatsoever. I already had quotes from being on the road at GW. A day with no access actually gives me some time off in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't like it for my colleagues. They weren't given opportunity. And I've outlined my other points above. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree, but I wanted to make a genuine attempt at being transparent.

Of course the actual game deserves the headlines, and it will get them tonight.
to be fair, your colleagues at The Journal dont deserve it. They are nothing but PC cheerleaders that never pass up a chance to take put down URI or to promote anything PC does as the greatest thing as sliced bread. They can go pound tar.

Dont get me wrong, I may not always agree with you but I am a fan of your coverage. You cover the team as they should be and are a very good jounralist, and a worthy "successor" to Paul Kenyon.

Cox's #1 job is to win games. If he feels avoiding any unnecessary distractions is what's best for the team given the short turn around, then no one is qualified enough to question it.

As for promotion...a road game at #6 in the country promotes itself, they dont exactly need to trot out the players to convince the public that it's a major game with huge importance on their season.

I get your perspective as a journalist, but you had the foresight to plan ahead expecting this to happen. For your colleagues, I go back to what people say about Belichick and journalists, "its not his job to do yours for you and give you quotes"
Bravo, DPS.
If you read Bill's first post on this topic DPS literally got everything wrong
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Also

1 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

jcru wrote: 4 years ago URI is a race car. But, against a team like Dayton, they only have enough gas in the tank to dominate one half. You kind of have to pick your poison.

Do you want to paste them in the first half and hold on for dear life or do you want to try and keep it close in the first half and be the comeback kids in the second?
I hate this argument, there are so many teams in college ball that run an 8 man rotation. Insinuating that they cant play balls to the wall for 40 minutes is ludacris. That means you dont have faith in the teams strength and conditioning regiment.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago I believe Bill is not exactly referring to his colleagues at the Journal, but the ones that work for other newspapers in the state including Will Geoghegan from the Independent, Colby Cotter from the Narragansett Times, the Student Journalists at the Cigar, among others. All who do a fantastic job covering the team, and most definitely do not get the same travel budget as Koch and the Projo. They don't get the same opportunities to get quotes on the road, and then also miss this opportunity for coverage when it is not offered to them.
Bill plainly stated that in his first post on the topic, just some people seem to want to ignore it. Just like this isn't some "locked in" strategy for Dayton, rather a media strategy for Cox going back to last season, a strategy that I believe is wrong and shortsighted
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago I've been following Rams for near 50 years, I would or could argue that this is the biggest regular season ever. Considering all the factors, Dayton being ranked so high, Rhody chasing them a game behind and right outside of rankings, as well as being red hot riding a 10 game winning streak, Dayton with a POY candidate, Fatts having an A 10 POY season if not for Toppin, being on national tv for the nation to see. We played a St Joes who was #2 ( I believe) as a few have said, but e weren't as good as this year. One game that does stick out in my mind is 1988 vs Mark Macon and Temple coming to Keaney vs the great '88 team with Tommy Garrick and Silk. Temple if my mind serves me correctly was also about # 5 or 6 at the time and had reached #1 and was truly a great team and obviously that was one of the better URI teams of all time. Some of the older guys can correct me if I am incorrect on some of the details of that game. Either way, we are now in the present day so this is the biggest game and Tuesday if finally here, very excited. Go Rhody!
I was at that Temple game in '88. That was probably the most anticipated home game I can remember. Macon was only a freshman but was already considered to be one of the best players in the country. We only lost 7 games that year and 3 were to Temple (and obviously, 1 was to Duke). If we can win tonight and both teams hold serve until the final regular season game against Dayton, we'll both be 16-1 and playing for the title. That would be the game that might top the Temple game in '88. But once again, let's not get ahead of ourselves (or more accurately, myself) here .
Game was at Noon on Superbowl Sunday. One of the best days as a student. party before the game party after the game. Only bad thing was the result. Macon hit a three over Tommy to clinch the game in the last minute. Temple was #1 at the time.Would love to know the attendance that day. People were coming from every door anyone would open for them to get in that building.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

While David Cox and Rhody will certainly use their depth at the wing spot to try and stop the unstoppable, Obi will most likely be seeing a lot of 12th year senior Cyril Langevine.

That's pretty funny, have to admit. Great article.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
thatRamBand wrote: 4 years ago I believe Bill is not exactly referring to his colleagues at the Journal, but the ones that work for other newspapers in the state including Will Geoghegan from the Independent, Colby Cotter from the Narragansett Times, the Student Journalists at the Cigar, among others. All who do a fantastic job covering the team, and most definitely do not get the same travel budget as Koch and the Projo. They don't get the same opportunities to get quotes on the road, and then also miss this opportunity for coverage when it is not offered to them.
Bill plainly stated that in his first post on the topic, just some people seem to want to ignore it. Just like this isn't some "locked in" strategy for Dayton, rather a media strategy for Cox going back to last season, a strategy that I believe is wrong and shortsighted
RR02, it’s def a locked in strategy.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago Also

Look at our old friend Tate putting in work in crunch time!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I am very superstitious. Maybe Cox is also. Hence the media position he took.

I like having Bill Koch as our beat writer. The best we ever had. He’s better than Kevin Mac.

But.....hey...... I like Jim Donaldson....so what do I know?
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Also a Marial Mading sighting on our bench.
1 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

TulaneGradRamFan wrote: 4 years ago Bill said to Kevin in their last "Pick and Pop" podcast, after Kevin said he wouldn't mind seeing the game live and covering it for Bill if he was sick or couldn't cover it, "Wild horses couldn't drag me away from covering [this URI game at Dayton]" and "It is games like these are what sports writers look forward to".
Ayyyy!!! Let's go Bill. Fuck off Kevin
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago But.....hey...... I like Jim Donaldson....so what do I know?
When you and Donaldson walk together, is it like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito in the movie "Twins"?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
In my opinion, this was the biggest game in recent history (if you consider 30+ years recent lol) I was there it was one of the first games I attended. My dad was bonkers about Rhody BB, but 3 of my 4 older sibs didn't show much interest, so he and my mom would go with friends. When my brother and I perked up and showed some interest my pop was psyched, he took us to the PC game (I think we won going away that year) and to the temple game, Temple was ranked #1 for a good part of that season I believe. The game at old Keaney was sold out, my dad somehow got his friends to give up their tix for us bros. I remember my folks talking about this game for at least two weeks leading up to it. By seasons end (sweet sixteen) we obviously were known as one of the best teams in the country. As others have mentioned, its more about the importance of the game vis a vis how good both teams are when the show down occurs and how much respect and attention a win would get us in terms of tournament placement, than it is about just how highly ranked the other team is at the time of the game. PC had good teams the years leading up, and we were coming out of the Brandon Malone years, so the turn around for Rhody was awesome and it had locals interested, enthused really. It was the only time in my primary school years that I remember other kids talking about Rhody hoops. Also to be noted, my love of Rhody hoops was probably the deciding factor in where I went to college, so I'll always be the guy that insists that a high profile BB program will always pay dividends.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Can't wait until my guy Jermaine hits a step back game winning 3... :D :D :D
1 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Can't wait until my guy Jermaine hits a step back game winning 3... :D :D :D
I can't wait until you have to eat crow when he gets his.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Can't wait until my guy Jermaine hits a step back game winning 3... :D :D :D
Or Cyril hits a couple of free throws to clinch.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!