2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by giovanni »

0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, to weigh in on Bill’s and BAR’s points, certainly doing a media avail one time isn’t going to change the overall landscape in the state, but there is a cumulative effect. Just taking this one in isolation, if Dave made himself available for five minutes but channels 10 and 12 got a short clip they could throw into their sports package tonight and tomorrow, could that inform or remind some casual fans that URI is playing the #6 team in the country on national TV tomorrow night? And could their watching that game and if URI wins or plays well, encourage them to watch or attend more games? If we did media avails at the practice before every game, could that over time make us more present in the minds of the folks that read the projo or watch the local news? Idk, but I totally see Bill’s point.
That’s fine and dandy, but the bigger picture right now for the coach/kids is winning this game. This sounds to me like that are locked in and don’t want to be distracted by the hype. Sure, it’s unfortunate, but if it’s what best, it is what it is.

Coach/Staff may be trying to be in the same mind frame as the kids, LOCKED IN.

Will see if it works.

Then again, it may not be any of this...but either way, they’ve played themselves into a great position, let’s just go fucking beat Dayton. Bill and ABC 6 will all get it over it.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And like I said, beat Dayton and national media attention won't be an issue. We will be plastered everywhere on Wednesday.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My bet online account has URI +9.5 I think we cover that
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

reef wrote: 4 years ago My bet online account has URI +9.5 I think we cover that
I feel like this will either be a wire to wire game of runs, or a 10+ point win that could go either way.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

27 hours to go!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think it will be around -7 or 7.5. The off shore spreads are usually different from Vegas
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Is it just me, or is this stupid to anyone else? We aren’t exactly the Beatles.

Lol sorry, just seems like overkill.
5 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I side with Cox.
4 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago Is it tuesday yet?
So grateful we didn’t have to wait a full week for this game.

Rhody is playing with house money this time. The real pressure game is when the Flyers come to Kingston.
...unless we win tomorrow night.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This might be our the biggest regular season conference game we have played in.

Since Temple in 88 maybe?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
Is it just me, or is this stupid to anyone else? We aren’t exactly the Beatles.

Lol sorry, just seems like overkill.

Yea I haven’t understood the big deal of this account, as long as they take off and land safely that’s all that matters.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago This might be our the biggest regular season conference game we have played in.

Wasn't St Joes #1 in 2004?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago This might be our the biggest regular season conference game we have played in.

Undefeated St Joes coming to The Ryan Center was much bigger.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It’s huge no doubt and up there but we’ve had several big ones over the years. UMass in 93. St. Joes in ‘04. Temple a bunch of times most notably 88. UMass on Baron’s senior night. To name a few.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
giovanni
Carlton Owens

"Yea I haven’t understood the big deal of this account, as long as they take off and land safely that’s all that matters."

Very true here is the answer to the safely part

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The guys look locked in for sure.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That was great... Jacob: I'm the better dunker, higher jumper, look better in the air, etc....
Great stuff.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago

Undefeated St Joes coming to The Ryan Center was much bigger.
I guess I mean in terms of how good our team is compared to how good their team is.

10-0 vs 10-1 in the A-10

They are a top team and we are coming in playing at a very high level and are clearly the second best team in the league right now.

When St Joe's was here we were a fringe bubble team at best.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago My bet online account has URI +9.5 I think we cover that
I feel like this will either be a wire to wire game of runs, or a 10+ point win that could go either way.
Hmm.....wire to wire or 10+ point win....really putting yourself out on a limb there...
6 x
RhodeIslandBorn
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by RhodeIslandBorn »

Rhody +10 seems like a lot, especially given that we won there last year with a must worse team.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
Hmm.....wire to wire or 10+ point win....really putting yourself out on a limb there...
:roll:

It means it will either be a one point game, or a larger differential (10+). Not 4,6 or 8.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Wasn't St Joes #1 in 2004?
Yeah, but that game did not mean to our season or our program what this potentially could mean with a win. That 2003-04 team was pretty good but we were not challenging Joes for the conference championship, we weren't on the door of the top-25 or positioned as a tournament team at the time of the game looking to punch our ticket. Maybe this is a too literal interpretation of "the biggest game is the next game" but for my money I want this one tomorrow almost as much as any I can remember, and I've been rooting for this program since before I could read. Let's go take it.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

As for wanting a regular season game more, i cant remember one. Obviously we want the bragging rights against PC every year. But the possibility of leaving Ohio tomorrow night with a dub against #6 in the country puts a legitimate stamp on this program. The best part is we do match up well against them!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

The Ramettes flew out today also.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

As good a chance as ever to beat the number 6 team in the country on the RHODE.

If we lose it, wont hurt us that bad! It's almost like we are in the Big Ten for one game!
2 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

If we keep it close and play well it won't hurt one bit. But WTF lets walk out with a W!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah this one tomorrow seems more important

The 04 game was great going against # 1 but we weren’t that good

We win tomorrow and makes a big statement of where we can go
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

The Ramettes flew out today also.
Dan is pumped about it
Attachments
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From Dayton daily news

5 things to watch

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... m7biENFkK/
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Would they have even practiced yesterday after the game Saturday? If there was no practice there was probably no time the entire team was together formally, so there was probably no chance to have availability. I doubt it was anything more than that
There was generally media access prior to every game as recently as 2017-18. That changed last season -- one session per week, usually on Monday or Tuesday, and closed practices. Speaking for myself, I didn't push back almost out of compassion. The team was struggling. Asking the same questions each day almost felt like we were torturing the guys who had to talk -- Jeff, Cyril and Fatts specifically.

This season is different. You're on the cusp of the top 25. There is no better chance to promote your program and brand. Shouldn't that be maximized?

Also, the elephant in the room -- Providence. There is no shortage of folks who feel URI gets the short end compared to the Friars. Several of them note on this board each time I don't travel to a URI road game. Isn't now the time to at least make an attempt to permanently claim some of that market share? You're better than they are this season and, really, over the last four. You have a far greater chance of reaching the NCAA Tournament. This should be a perfect opportunity, not a burden.

Given the tight turnaround, I'm sure all of us would have understood if the players weren't available. But at the very least we should have heard from David Cox. It could have been Sunday or Monday, morning or night, on campus or at the airport or via conference call. I don't think 5-10 minutes is too much to ask to speak about your biggest game of the season to date.

I have postgame quotes from Saturday about Dayton -- sadly, I anticipated something like this might happen. I've shared those with Will and Colby out of a sense of professional fairness. But we won't be receiving any further insight, and that's a shame. I'm traveling to the game -- ultimately, I'm not the one losing out. It's my colleagues and all of you.

I would finish with this -- players and coaches are required to do press conferences the day before and the day between NCAA Tournament games. There are none bigger on the schedule. To say that access was denied in this case because of the significance of the upcoming game or tight window preceding it isn't a valid argument.
Thanks for sharing your insight into this Bill.

I will trust the coaching staff on this decision, but do believe it feels a bit odd.

Saw a 15-20 second stand up or two, in studio, mentioning the game, without interviews or video. My first response after seeing the TV news yesterday was “hey, why aren’t they covering the Rams today?” Then one station followed with an interview with Cooley and a few of the Friars from an uneventful practice that day.

Initial reaction was that we again get disrespected by media, now know it was purposeful by Coaching staff. Hopefully, as other posters said, it was to keep the team laser focused and to continue the “One game at a time philosophy” that has been working for this group of players.

Let’s see what access the media gets after the game and let’s hope it is positive.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Winning the game would provide much more media attention to make up for the missed pregame session. Still understandably frustrating for Bill and our local media who were ready and willing to share this story.
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

2 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Biggest game of the year......
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
urirx
ARD

Unread post by urirx »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago Winning the game would provide much more media attention to make up for the missed pregame session. Still understandably frustrating for Bill and our local media who were ready and willing to share this story.
looking at what Bill said, it is the marketing of the program in general this year that not having at least a conference call or coaches availability for 15 minutes hurts. If URI is ever going to rise above the little school in south county reputation, then every chance we get for being in the spotlight, you have to take it. This game is a Spotlight game and this is a missed free marketing opportunity.

And it is GAME DAY and GO RHODY!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Then again, the lack of doing interviews, being available in public, becomes a storyline in itself. Kind of a reverse type of marketing.

Maybe Cox is saying since the Projo doesn’t bother to come to other road games like Saint Louis, VCU, Davidson, etc then why should I change my schedule now and talk to you because you are finally coming to Dayton where the rest of the College a Basketball world or reporting will also be tonight?

I kind of like keeping the players out of the spotlight, keeping them away from the building pressure. Win this game and nobody will need to worry about the “lost marketing opportunities” from not marketing prior to the game. Get well up into the Top 25 and we will be over run by requests for player and coach interviews. Lose and no Top 25 until a while later, if at all.

DC_Rams I’d be interested in your take on this?
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

I've been following Rams for near 50 years, I would or could argue that this is the biggest regular season ever. Considering all the factors, Dayton being ranked so high, Rhody chasing them a game behind and right outside of rankings, as well as being red hot riding a 10 game winning streak, Dayton with a POY candidate, Fatts having an A 10 POY season if not for Toppin, being on national tv for the nation to see. We played a St Joes who was #2 ( I believe) as a few have said, but e weren't as good as this year. One game that does stick out in my mind is 1988 vs Mark Macon and Temple coming to Keaney vs the great '88 team with Tommy Garrick and Silk. Temple if my mind serves me correctly was also about # 5 or 6 at the time and had reached #1 and was truly a great team and obviously that was one of the better URI teams of all time. Some of the older guys can correct me if I am incorrect on some of the details of that game. Either way, we are now in the present day so this is the biggest game and Tuesday if finally here, very excited. Go Rhody!
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......in Coach Cox I trust.......
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Then again, the lack of doing interviews, being available in public, becomes a storyline in itself. Kind of a reverse type of marketing.

Maybe Cox is saying since the Projo doesn’t bother to come to other road games like Saint Louis, VCU, Davidson, etc then why should I change my schedule now and talk to you because you are finally coming to Dayton where the rest of the College a Basketball world or reporting will also be tonight?

The basic premise of this is patently false. I missed St. Bonaventure for my brother's bachelor party. I'll miss UMass for his wedding.

Otherwise, we're attending all conference road games. Did the same last year and the year before and the year before -- just look up the stories. I've been traveling with URI since the day I was hired in 2013-14.

Also, I'm one of two writers in the league who still actually travel on a regular basis for road games. Dayton Daily News is the other -- David Jablonski is fantastic. Richmond Times Dispatch didn't have a staff writer at the Ryan Center for Richmond or VCU. None of the D.C. schools or Philadelphia schools put anybody on the road.
11 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Then again, the lack of doing interviews, being available in public, becomes a storyline in itself. Kind of a reverse type of marketing.

I kind of like keeping the players out of the spotlight, keeping them away from the building pressure. Win this game and nobody will need to worry about the “lost marketing opportunities” from not marketing prior to the game. Get well up into the Top 25 and we will be over run by requests for player and coach interviews. Lose and no Top 25 until a while later, if at all.

I don’t think it was a slight to Bill.

I also don’t think that, right now, Cox and crew care about the “potential” miss on hyping this game up. I can almost assure you that, right now, the team in syncing and staying laser focused on the task at hand. They will need every bit of edge the can get going into tonight.

I really PERSONALLY don’t care about the media having a “woe is me” moment.

If Cox & Co. deem it as a potential distraction, whether it be for him or the team, then that’s what it is. What really matters is tonight....let’s move on from this non-story.
5 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

I think it is a quick turnaround for two of the longer distance road games combined with a "we haven't earned it yet" mentality. I can appreciate Cox doing it here, although it doesn't produce the short term publicity. Going dancing this year makes the statement for you.
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

I also don’t think that, right now, Cox and crew care about the “potential” miss on hyping this game up. I can almost assure you that, right now, the team in syncing and staying laser focused on the task at hand. They will need every bit of edge the can get going into tonight.

If Cox & Co. deem it as a potential distraction, whether it be for him or the team, then that’s what it is. What really matters is tonight....let’s move on from this non-story.
To be clear, I didn't take it as a personal slight whatsoever. I already had quotes from being on the road at GW. A day with no access actually gives me some time off in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't like it for my colleagues. They weren't given opportunity. And I've outlined my other points above. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree, but I wanted to make a genuine attempt at being transparent.

Of course the actual game deserves the headlines, and it will get them tonight.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The basic premise of this is patently false. I missed St. Bonaventure for my brother's bachelor party. I'll miss UMass for his wedding.

Otherwise, we're attending all conference road games. Did the same last year and the year before and the year before -- just look up the stories. I've been traveling with URI since the day I was hired in 2013-14.

Also, I'm one of two writers in the league who still actually travel on a regular basis for road games. Dayton Daily News is the other -- David Jablonski is fantastic. Richmond Times Dispatch didn't have a staff writer at the Ryan Center for Richmond or VCU. None of the D.C. schools or Philadelphia schools put anybody on the road.
Sorry I did not realize that The Projo sends a Staff Writer to all Conference Road Games. I did not realize you or another Projo Staff writer was at every game at Duquesne, Saint Louis, Richmond, VCU, Dayton, GW, etc. I could have sworn I’ve read criticism of the Projo for NOT sending a Projo writer, so good to know.

I also think you know I support the Projo as much as anybody here, including Bill Reynolds, yourself, Kevin MAC and all writers before you, even like Jim Donaldson. I subscribe and I get the E-Edition as well. So I’m wrong in my presumption that maybe URI Staff was avoiding contact pregame because possibly had to do with not going to other A10 road games. Thanks for clarifying. There must be another reason.
But if David Cox and Company wins tonight I’m sure you and many others will gain plenty of access

One

Game

At

A

Time!

GO RHODY!!
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

To be clear, I didn't take it as a personal slight whatsoever. I already had quotes from being on the road at GW. A day with no access actually gives me some time off in the grand scheme of things.

I didn't like it for my colleagues. They weren't given opportunity. And I've outlined my other points above. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree, but I wanted to make a genuine attempt at being transparent.

to be fair, your colleagues at The Journal dont deserve it. They are nothing but PC cheerleaders that never pass up a chance to take put down URI or to promote anything PC does as the greatest thing as sliced bread. They can go pound tar.

Dont get me wrong, I may not always agree with you but I am a fan of your coverage. You cover the team as they should be and are a very good jounralist, and a worthy "successor" to Paul Kenyon.

Cox's #1 job is to win games. If he feels avoiding any unnecessary distractions is what's best for the team given the short turn around, then no one is qualified enough to question it.

As for promotion...a road game at #6 in the country promotes itself, they dont exactly need to trot out the players to convince the public that it's a major game with huge importance on their season.

I get your perspective as a journalist, but you had the foresight to plan ahead expecting this to happen. For your colleagues, I go back to what people say about Belichick and journalists, "its not his job to do yours for you and give you quotes"
Last edited by Da_Process_Survivor 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago

to be fair, your colleagues at The Journal dont deserve it. They are nothing but PC cheerleaders that never pass up a chance to take put down URI or to promote anything PC does as the greatest thing as sliced bread. They can go pound tar.

Cox's #1 job is to win games. If he feels avoiding any unnecessary distractions is what's best for the team given the short turn around, then no one is qualified enough to question it.

As for promotion...a road game at #6 in the country promotes itself, they dont exactly need to trot out the players to convince the public that it's a major game with huge importance on their season.

I get your perspective as a journalist, but you had the foresight to plan ahead expecting this to happen. For your colleagues, I go back to what people say about Belichick and journalists, "its not his job to do yours for you and give you quotes"
I don’t think Bill expected this to happen. It wasn’t that he had the foresight to know it was coming.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

IT IS GAME DAY

SEIZE THE DAY !!!!!!

LETS GO

MUST WIN

LET'S WAKE UP THIS COUNTRY AND SHOW THEM WHAT RHODY BASKETBALL IS ALL ABOUT !!!!

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SEIZE THE DAY !!!!!!
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

I believe Bill is not exactly referring to his colleagues at the Journal, but the ones that work for other newspapers in the state including Will Geoghegan from the Independent, Colby Cotter from the Narragansett Times, the Student Journalists at the Cigar, among others. All who do a fantastic job covering the team, and most definitely do not get the same travel budget as Koch and the Projo. They don't get the same opportunities to get quotes on the road, and then also miss this opportunity for coverage when it is not offered to them.
3 x