2/8 | George Washington | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: 2/8 | George Washington | 12:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hopefully they play like they did against the Bonnies
1 x
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

Yinka Dare and Pops Mensah-Bonsu are not walking through that door.

Anyone familiar with the area and can give me the best place to park? The arena website is short on details and don't feel like creating an account on the GW board just for this. I may be hauling to try and get there by tipoff; if parking is a hassle perhaps I'll opt for an Uber from Alexandria instead. I see a "University Parking Garage" two blocks north of the arena on Google, but who knows if it is 100 or 1,000 spaces.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Yinka Dare and Pops Mensah-Bonsu are not walking through that door.

Anyone familiar with the area and can give me the best place to park? The arena website is short on details and don't feel like creating an account on the GW board just for this. I may be hauling to try and get there by tipoff; if parking is a hassle perhaps I'll opt for an Uber from Alexandria instead. I see a "University Parking Garage" two blocks north of the arena on Google, but who knows if it is 100 or 1,000 spaces.
Possibility that Potter isn't suiting up for them. He's been arguably their best player this year
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

NC_Ram wrote: 4 years ago heading up from NC. Would be great to meet a couple of KB faithful.
I won't be there, but it's always great to meet KB faithful. Hope you get that opportunity.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyruckus wrote: 4 years ago Yinka Dare and Pops Mensah-Bonsu are not walking through that door.

GW is an urban campus in the Foggy Bottom area of DC, pretty close to the white house. I would think on a weekend you will find ample parking garages in and around the Smith Center, or maybe even get lucky and find some street parking.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 years ago I'd be happy with a 1 point win and no injuries as we look forward to a showdown with Dayton.
Absolutely, a one point win is a quality win.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

If I were going and I am thinking about it , I would drive to the West Falls Church Metro Station and park for free and take the Metro to the Foggy Bottom Station , about a 10 minute ride , then walk the 3 blocks to the Smith Center . There is garage parking at the Center but it is $20 if you don't mind the price . There should be plenty of parking on a Saturday. The Metro is very cheap and so easy to use . You have to buy a card for $2 and you put on the amount of cash you need for your trip which might be $3 or $4 each at most .
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And even if they did they'd be old and gray
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I always thought of a classic "trap" game as a game sandwiched between 2 tough games with very little time between the games. eg if you play Thurs at home sat on road and then a tough one on Tues, there is little time to mentally prepare for each game. Seeing out last game was Tues, I think this is kinda , sort of,a "trap game. Three full days off between games should mitigate on this.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
"The negativity in this town sucks!" Slick Rick when he set the celts back a decade
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago

I hate the phrase trap game. So overused. I poke myself in the eye after time I read it on KB.
They might have an off game. Most college teams have several during the year. They aren’t looking past anyone.
Jeff, Cyril & Fatts are focused and the coaches are staying on top of it. Not let up.
I agree the phrase is way overused, but as DC said this game vs GW is exactly the definition of the phrase as I have always known it. The game just before the big game. It’s a trap because you overlook the lesser opponent, assuming a win with your focus on the big game right after it.

So by definition UMess could not have been a trap game. But it could have been a let down game after the big VCU win.

Call it what you will, I hope to call it another W!
So then could UMASS be a land mine and George Washington is a trap game? Would that already have been known when the schedule was created back last spring or summer?

Is Cox saying let’s schedule a trap game here and a land mine game there?
Well, not 'just' traps and landmines....you also have to mix in some gimmes, a couple throwaways, some must wins and a couple resume boosters.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A GW fan posted that they think their leading scorer (14.5ppg) senior guard Armel Potter is out for a few weeks and the earliest best case would be for them to have him back for their game versus George Mason on Saturday Feb 15th. It appears he got injured early last Wednesday 01/29/20 in the 4OT game with Davidson. GW has no game midweek after URI. It actually might make sense to keep him out versus Rhody (02/08/20) to get him another full week off. Perhaps DiSano or Koch could offer an update.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ Hate to hear about any player out with injury.

But I'm not going to complain. Happens to everyone.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not sure where to put this but a good podcast with Chris DiSano. Found this on the Mason message board. Chris talks in depth about all the players.

https://giantkiller.co/ByGeorge/2020/02/04/hey10-ep17/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Great DiSano interview with Cyril just posted

https://www.yurview.com/all-ball/cyril- ... -grinding/
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Are people gonna say they want to play GW with Potter like they did with Osun and the Bonnies?

Never will understand that logic.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On an aside, I love that Jermaine gives us the tip off like 90% of the time.
8 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Are people gonna say they want to play GW with Potter like they did with Osun and the Bonnies?

Of course it better without but does the committee look at that?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Are people gonna say they want to play GW with Potter like they did with Osun and the Bonnies?

The committee would only look at the GW game if we lost it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago

I highly highly doubt that look at each and every game and who played / who didn’t.

That would mean PCs win @ Butler is diminished cus their PG was out, etc etc.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Well, not 'just' traps and landmines....you also have to mix in some gimmes, a couple throwaways, some must wins and a couple resume boosters.
The sarcasm is strong with this one. - Darth Vader
2 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Two years ago I went to the GW game (also on a Saturday) and got to the arena 30-35 minutes before tip off and was able to find a spot on the street a couple of blocks from the arena.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I don’t think it benefits us to play a short handed team early, and we see them again in the A10 tourney fully loaded. GW is a better team with Potter and SBU is a better team with Osi. Games like that put more hair on ya balls. I’m personally like that in real life, I don’t like easy outs. That’s just my opinion and I stand on that.

If you like handicaps, you’re entitled to that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

I don’t think it benefits us to play a short handed team early, and we see them again in the A10 tourney fully loaded. GW is a better team with Potter and SBU is a better team with Osi. Games like that put more hair on ya balls. I’m personally like that in real life, I don’t like easy outs. That’s just my opinion and I stand on that.

It benefits us when we are playing for an AT LARGE bid. the A10 Tourney is fun, but I want to be locked in the NCAAT before that even happens.
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I hear ya, I think we beat GW regardless if he plays or not.

Osun is a different story. He completely changes that team.
0 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

JUST WIN BABY
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago On an aside, I love that Jermaine gives us the tip off like 90% of the time.
I have only seen 1 time, that Harris did not win the Tip. Only one time and I think I’ve seen every one of them.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Urifan91 wrote: 4 years ago

I agree the phrase is way overused, but as DC said this game vs GW is exactly the definition of the phrase as I have always known it. The game just before the big game. It’s a trap because you overlook the lesser opponent, assuming a win with your focus on the big game right after it.

So by definition UMess could not have been a trap game. But it could have been a let down game after the big VCU win.

Call it what you will, I hope to call it another W!
So then could UMASS be a land mine and George Washington is a trap game? Would that already have been known when the schedule was created back last spring or summer?

Is Cox saying let’s schedule a trap game here and a land mine game there?
Well, not 'just' traps and landmines....you also have to mix in some gimmes, a couple throwaways, some must wins and a couple resume boosters.
I completely forgot about resume boosters :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

It benefits us when we are playing for an AT LARGE bid. the A10 Tourney is fun, but I want to be locked in the NCAAT before that even happens.
I get it, but again, I personally get more gratification/enjoyment out of it beating teams without a handicap.

But I respect you and R15 POV on this.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

No offense but your gratification is not the most important thing to me. I wouldn’t mind it if every team we play between now and the NCAA tournament is ravaged by the stomach flu and can’t go more than 10 minutes without a trip to the bathroom. I want Ws and I don’t care at all how I get them.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
"The negativity in this town sucks!" Slick Rick when he set the celts back a decade
“It stinks and it’s sucks” he said. Lol.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I am interested is seeing Amir Harris play. Would we a better team today if he did not de-commit after we signed Adams ?

our current guard depth and vulnerability
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ok I won’t call it a trap game how bout a look ahead game to Dayton ?? No matter what it is just come out of there with a win no matter who is out there
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago No offense but your gratification is not the most important thing to me. I wouldn’t mind it if every team we play between now and the NCAA tournament is ravaged by the stomach flu and can’t go more than 10 minutes without a trip to the bathroom. I want Ws and I don’t care at all how I get them.
TP, I have stated several times this is how I feel PERSONALLY.

You are entitled to how you feel, as am I.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m not worried about this game. Our guys are focused and have learned from the Brown/Richmond debacle.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Great DiSano interview with Cyril just posted

https://www.yurview.com/all-ball/cyril- ... -grinding/
Great article you can tell Cyril is just a great guy
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Love his enthusiasm and personality. Giving credit to his trainer, coach and mentors. And his sense of humor!

"You’re going into someone’s house. It’s like going into the refrigerator and trying to take something without asking. You gotta be ready." :)
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It's like a Doctor Seuss book.

You can win in OT
You can win with a three

You can win by a lot
You can win by one shot

You can win with man D
You can win with a 2-3

But for goodness sake, win
Please listen to me
15 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago It's like a Doctor Seuss book.

You can win in OT
You can win with a three

You can win by a lot
You can win by one shot

You can win with man D
You can win with a 2-3

But for goodness sake, win
Please listen to me
That's cute! It could even be used as a mantra saying it over and over to help manifest it.
0 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago Not sure where to put this but a good podcast with Chris DiSano. Found this on the Mason message board. Chris talks in depth about all the players.

https://giantkiller.co/ByGeorge/2020/02/04/hey10-ep17/
Thanks for posting this! I was amused to hear "How tall is Fatts, really?" was asked. I wonder why his actual height and weight isn't posted on the roster? He obviously has found a way to use his size to his and the team's advantage so I don't see, even from a PR standpoint, why adding two or three inches to his height benefits anyone or anything. [But what do I know? I'm just an older lady/former Newporter cheering the Rams on from South Carolina.] Also, in the interview, Chris says he's a strong/thin/wirery build. If he's only 5'8" and Chris even thought he might just be 5'7", I wouldn't think he could weigh 165 either. 145-150 max. if he is all muscle, seems more likely considering I'm 123 and 5'9" and am thin but not scrawny. I know women weigh less - but still.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I like the “science” Ramulous applied to explaining the Fatts height issue......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

I can’t remember anyone being able to stay in front of Fatts off the dribble his quickness and speed with the ball are amazing 5ft 7 or not
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago A GW fan posted that they think their leading scorer (14.5ppg) senior guard Armel Potter is out for a few weeks and the earliest best case would be for them to have him back for their game versus George Mason on Saturday Feb 15th. It appears he got injured early last Wednesday 01/29/20 in the 4OT game with Davidson. GW has no game midweek after URI. It actually might make sense to keep him out versus Rhody (02/08/20) to get him another full week off. Perhaps DiSano or Koch could offer an update.
Bill mentioned it on the Pick and Pop podcast. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said something along the lines of "he's expected to be questionable for Saturday".
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

George Washington preview.
3 x
RhodeLegacy
Jim Eitner

Unread post by RhodeLegacy »

Best place to watch the game around campus? Any watch parties?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

what was the name from yesteryear of the GW guard who was 5'6??? Shawanta Rogers?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago George Washington preview.
Really appreciate you posting these here Bill. Great write up as always :D
3 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

McRam wrote: 4 years ago what was the name from yesteryear of the GW guard who was 5'6??? Shawanta Rogers?
Yes it was. Decent little ball player. Not sure if he was even close to 5'6 tho
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah he was really good
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Google his son, forget his name but he’s 5’3 and playing low major D1 somewhere. I remember seeing a highlight recently. A southern school I wanna say. Shawnta and Yinka Dare were on that same GW team, dude could ball out.
0 x