That's Enough, Fordham...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: That's Enough, Fordham...

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I don't think UMass can make a step up, until MBB and Football become more competitive.......basketball has a chance in a couple of years.

Fordham competes well in most A10 sports, MBB is the exception.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Geography does matter. How would you feel if the A-10 men's Basketball tournament only rotated between DC and Pittsburgh in coming years as these sites were more convenient for other members? How would you feel if Fordham was gone and UMass found an all sports conference leaving URI several hundreds of miles away from the next closest member school? How would you feel about having few road games that you might reasonably consider traveling to? How would you feel about the great rise in travel costs for ALL sports at URI and the added class time all our student athletes would miss ( only men's basketball would fly charter). URI is very much already now a bit of an after thought for much of the A-10 membership, league office administration, media, and fans. We constantly complain here about how URI is often forgotten and slighted when it comes to many matters. That would only get worse if the league adds members even further away.
Sorry, I do not agree and I also I believe this is not expansive thinking. It also smacks of "woe is me", whiney kind of thinking. We should always have stretch aspirations. We will never be in a P5 conference, but our goal for our marquee sport, basketball, should be in a high mid-major conference with as national reputation. Act like P5 but at our level. Do you think somebody in California is worrying tonight because they can't easily drive to their basketball game with Colorado. I don't want to act like the NEC conference. Thankfully I have some knowledge about how our Athletics admin team is thinking and they not are in you mode. And I certainly don't share your defeatist opinion that we are an afterthought in the A-10.
Totally agree with Obes. If we used that thinking we should be considering UNH and Merrimack to join our league so a few dozen fans can drive to games no one will care about. I don't get this thinking of "URI is an after thought" - we have been on the receiving end of a great TV schedule for the last few years, we were awarded a very good schedule this year for a team wanting to make the NCAAs (pairing with Dayton, VCU and Davidson), heck when we were given the 7 seed 2 years ago and awarded a game against the weakest 10 seed we were shown great respect. Enough with the woe is me. DC is also a great spot for the A10 tourney, i had a great time there 2 years ago. This is antiquated thinking, and the same thinking that has some people saying we need Fordham bc we need a team in NYC. Times have changed, innovate or die.
BAR i agree on DC being the future site of the A10 tourney. It was quiet on the weekend downtown, hotels were reasonable (groupon), park the car for 2 days using an app, and uber around. the bar scene was great! I'd sign up there for a 3 year deal asap.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I like Murray State, not Belmont or Vermont so much. We already have Davidson, Belmont is like a clone. Siena much stronger option IMO.
Recruiting base, natural rival for Bonnies, capital of NY, good basketball history and can draw 8-9K when they are good. Much more upside than those other 2.
I totally disagree with the whole "upside" argument. Give me somebody like Murray that is a proven winner over somebody like Siena that possesses the hypothetical "upside". Siena has had years to get its act together, if they can't dominate their current league, what makes you think they will do any better in the tougher A10? Winners do what it takes to win in whatever league they are in, I want schools that are winners right now, not some school that needs a better league to become a winner.
2 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Wins and Losses in the past are less impt than what is their ceiling. A program like Siena has a much higher ceiling than Belmont. Bigger arena, better recruiting base, better fan support. Give them a better league to recruit against and they have much more upside.
Again, I do not like this line of thinking. Siena is not winning now, very unlikely imo that they will magically transform into a winner if they are given an invite to the A10. Winners do what it takes to win wherever they are, winners do not need the perfect set of circumstances in order to become winners.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago What if UMass eventually leaves?

Then we would be even more isolated, outside of St. Bona.

Adding Siena would make a ton of sense especially if that happens.

Vermont wouldn't work imo. Their gym is tiny I think.

Anybody who reads the Dayton board, knows that they want to join the BE.
Who cares how big their gym is? There is a lot to be said for the fact that they have dominated their league, they can always build a bigger gym. Winners find a way to win. We need to focus on programs that have proven themselves over time instead of focusing on specious things like gym size and "upside".
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

If we are taking a team out of the MAAC, I would definitely take Iona over Siena. Iona has dominated the MAAC lately. Iona has been to the NCAAT or NIT every year since 2012.

NCAAT: 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
NIT: 2014 and 2015.

Iona has a much smaller arena than Siena, but they have run circles around Siena.

Winners do more with less.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Back when we were hiring JD to replace JH, Fordham's AD Frank McGlaughlin was hiring former NBA coach Bob Hill to a 10 year $1M/year contract. That was a commitment to basketball. Hill was unsuccessful in 4 years in the Bronx and left. By comparison, we hired David Cox in 2018 to a three year $700K/year contract with an early buy-out clause. What type of commitment is that in this era? If URI makes the tournament David Cox is gone faster than you can say Tom Penders or Jim Harrick!

Fordham has as adequate basketball facility at Rose Hill today for their fans and needs as URI had in Keaney before JH arrived. A new facility for Fordham would just mean more empty seats. In aggregate, Fordham has an adequate program for the A10 while basketball remain weak.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody72 wrote: 4 years ago Back when we were hiring JD to replace JH, Fordham's AD Frank McGlaughlin was hiring former NBA coach Bob Hill to a 10 year $1M/year contract. That was a commitment to basketball. Hill was unsuccessful in 4 years in the Bronx and left. By comparison, we hired David Cox in 2018 to a three year $700K/year contract with an early buy-out clause. What type of commitment is that in this era? If URI makes the tournament David Cox is gone faster than you can say Tom Penders or Jim Harrick!

Fordham has as adequate basketball facility at Rose Hill today for their fans and needs as URI had in Keaney before JH arrived. A new facility for Fordham would just mean more empty seats. In aggregate, Fordham has an adequate program for the A10 while basketball remain weak.
Commitment means more than a coach’s salary. For years, Fordham got no help from the admissions office, and I suspect that’s still true today.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
Wins and Losses in the past are less impt than what is their ceiling. A program like Siena has a much higher ceiling than Belmont. Bigger arena, better recruiting base, better fan support. Give them a better league to recruit against and they have much more upside.
Again, I do not like this line of thinking. Siena is not winning now, very unlikely imo that they will magically transform into a winner if they are given an invite to the A10. Winners do what it takes to win wherever they are, winners do not need the perfect set of circumstances in order to become winners.
Siena has been to 6 NCAAs in the last 20 something years, advanced to the round of 32 twice in 08 and 09, plays in a 14k seat arena in a large metro area and when they are good draws attendance that would put them near the top of the A10. Iona plays in a nice high school gym. Iona has won recently with Cluess but that isn’t all that matters. Facilities matter.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Siena Attendance
Record this season is (10-10)

https://sienasaints.com/news/2019/8/2/m ... eason.aspx
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago If we are taking a team out of the MAAC, I would definitely take Iona over Siena. Iona has dominated the MAAC lately. Iona has been to the NCAAT or NIT every year since 2012.

NCAAT: 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
NIT: 2014 and 2015.

Iona has a much smaller arena than Siena, but they have run circles around Siena.

Winners do more with less.
Iona is a bad choice because of style of play.

They run a gimmick style where they purposely play no defense and jack up as many 3s as they can to overwhelm their opponent. This is very successful at their current level of opponent because the teams dont have the talent to counter it.

But every time they play teams that have the athletes to shut it down they get blown off the floor. Jumping up in competition would be a disaster and expose them.
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

MAAC teams always seam to take turns having a really good run over several seasons before they return to the bottom of the league. Ionas run may be over as they are currently 5-12 on a Junior/Senior dominated team
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s not even close. Murray State is a nice suggestion. But schools like Iona, Hofstra, Northeastern, Vermont are not for various reasons. Siena is the no brainer compared to any of those schools.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Either Siena or Murray State would work.

The OVC is a 1-2 bid conference.

Murray, Belmont, and Austin Peay are perennial top of that league.

Would MS come if invited? The A10 is a step up, but not a huge one.
0 x
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......a Vermont?

UVM Is always winning their tournament and making the dance, wouldn’t mind seeing them join although I believe there gym is reminiscent of a small high schools.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Who cares how big their gym is? There is a lot to be said for the fact that they have dominated their league, they can always build a bigger gym. Winners find a way to win. We need to focus on programs that have proven themselves over time instead of focusing on specious things like gym size and "upside".
If you don’t think facilities matter I don’t know what to tell you. The size of a fan base and ability to draw attendance equals interest and revenue. Check the link posted where Siena has the largest attendance of any mid major in the northeast. When investing behind something, which is basically what the league would be doing by inviting a new member you want to look at who can scale vs who is already maxed out. Kids want to play in front of fans, coaches want to coach in real arenas not glorified high school gyms. All Iona is is Fordham except in a weaker league. Do some homework.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Either Siena or Murray State would work.

The OVC is a 1-2 bid conference.

Murray, Belmont, and Austin Peay are perennial top of that league.

Would MS come if invited? The A10 is a step up, but not a huge one.
Both would be upgrades over Fordham, La Salle, or GMU.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

If you don’t think facilities matter I don’t know what to tell you. The size of a fan base and ability to draw attendance equals interest and revenue. Check the link posted where Siena has the largest attendance of any mid major in the northeast. When investing behind something, which is basically what the league would be doing by inviting a new member you want to look at who can scale vs who is already maxed out. Kids want to play in front of fans, coaches want to coach in real arenas not glorified high school gyms. All Iona is is Fordham except in a weaker league. Do some homework.
Agree to disagree...very skeptical about Siena...they had 1 good run with hc Fran McCafferty...FWIW, I also am skeptical about Belmont and Iona who only won big with 1 head coach, but at least they have been big winners as opposed to Siena who has never been a big winner...I am sold on Murray and Vermont...Vermont has had success with at least 3 head coaches
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Constitute big winner - a MAAC team going to round of 32 twice in last 10 years is pretty good. They have a long history and great recruiting base as well good sized fan base. Not sure what else u would want.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Mike Deane, Paul Hewitt, Louis Orr and Fran McCaffrey have come out of Siena. That’s a pretty impressive coaching tree for a mid major. All went on to P5 gigs. 6 conference titles, 6 NCAA appearances and advanced to round of 32 twice.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I wouldnt mind siena.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Other positives they are a natural rival with St Bonaventure and one of the best grassroots/AAU programs in the country (City Rocks) is based in Albany. There is great talent in that part of NY as a recruiting base.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Whether the A10 adds or not...it needs to subtract before it does anything.

The Big East is a perfect example of what your conference can be when you don't have garbage at the bottom.

That garbage that still exists at the bottom is a big reason why we lost Xavier and Butler in the first place. I mean Temple was always going to chase football money no matter what. This league needs an ECR CUT BAIT off season.

Tough to attract big money basketball contracts when your games are going to include heavyweight matchups like Fordham, La Salle, George Mason, or Duquesne.

Dayton, Butler, VCU, Rhode Island - all in - Xavier, St Louis, Richmond on the bubble,...imagine what this conference would be like this year. *sigh*
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Whether the A10 adds or not...it needs to subtract before it does anything.

The Big East is a perfect example of what your conference can be when you don't have garbage at the bottom.

That garbage that still exists at the bottom is a big reason why we lost Xavier and Butler in the first place. I mean Temple was always going to chase football money no matter what. This league needs an ECR CUT BAIT off season.

Tough to attract big money basketball contracts when your games are going to include heavyweight matchups like Fordham, La Salle, George Mason, or Duquesne.

Dayton, Butler, VCU, Rhode Island - all in - Xavier, St Louis, Richmond on the bubble,...imagine what this conference would be like this year. *sigh*
Totally agree, the smarter move is likely going down to 12 teams and eliminating the dead weight - in my eyes that is Fordham and Lasalle.

Only bring up Siena as a candidate if for whatever reason the league was hell bent on having 14 teams. Siena and Murray State to replace Lasalle and Fordham immediately makes for a stronger league. But the better scenario is just go down to 12 teams and CUT BAIT
1 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Cut Lasalle and Fordham and add Siena to keep Northeast footprint if/when UMass leaves for football reasons.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

We don't need to add anyone. Addition by subtraction. Also, I would be very surprised if UMass goes anywhere. They are simply over matched in football. What conference is going to want that?
1 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......by not adding anyone, if someone leaves, would the scheduling then in the A-10 allow another OOC game?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......by not adding anyone, if someone leaves, would the scheduling then in the A-10 allow another OOC game?
The conference would just increase the home and away schedules.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'm not a big fan of adding Vermont, but I have to say they have a good program with strong aspirations. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Vermont is building a new $95 million facility whose capacity for basketball will be slightly larger than their current gym, about 4000 seats.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/sto ... 721384002/
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Constitute big winner - a MAAC team going to round of 32 twice in last 10 years is pretty good. They have a long history and great recruiting base as well good sized fan base. Not sure what else u would want.
Yeah, fair enough about Deane and Hewitt...looking at the numbers, Murray is imo far and away the best choice...Iona seems to have a stronger case than I thought...Belmont, Vermont, and Siena are about all tied.

I will admit to some recency bias against Siena, nothing since 2010.

Iona...ncaat...1979, 1980*, 1984, 1985, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019...14 times
Nit...1982, 1983, 1996, 1997, 2014, 2015...6 times
20 total overall
1980 vacated

Belmont...ncaat...2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2019...8 times
Nit...2004, 2014, 2016, 2017...4 times
12 total

Vermont...ncaat...2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2019...7 times
NIT...2007, 2011, 2014, 2018...4 times
11 total

Murray State...ncaat...1964, 1969, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2018, 2019...17 times
Nit...1980, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1994, 1996, 2011, 2015...8 times
25 total

Siena...ncaat...1989, 1999, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010...6 times
Nit...1988, 1991, 1994, 2000, 2003...5 times
11 total
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Davidson...ncaat...1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1986, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018...14 times
Nit...1972, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2019...8 times
22 total

George Mason...ncaat...1989, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2011...6 times
Nit...1986, 2002, 2004, 2009...4 times
10 total
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago Davidson...ncaat...1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1986, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018...14 times
Nit...1972, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2019...8 times
22 total

George Mason...ncaat...1989, 1999, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2011...6 times
Nit...1986, 2002, 2004, 2009...4 times
10 total
Davidson is definitely not a team anyone is interested in seeing leave the conference. They're a mid-major brand. They joined in 2014 and been a top 100 postseason team every season since.

George Mason has a history that didn't benefit the A-10 at all. I'm sure many A-10 fans are lukewarm on them. 0 postseasons - NIT or NCAA since they joined. At least they have the facilities...but they keep missing on coaches. Based on their fans' reactions, would expect a new coaching search soon.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

UMass may fill the void for the American loss of UConn to the big East
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Constitute big winner - a MAAC team going to round of 32 twice in last 10 years is pretty good. They have a long history and great recruiting base as well good sized fan base. Not sure what else u would want.
Yeah, fair enough about Deane and Hewitt...looking at the numbers, Murray is imo far and away the best choice...Iona seems to have a stronger case than I thought...Belmont, Vermont, and Siena are about all tied.

I will admit to some recency bias against Siena, nothing since 2010.

Iona...ncaat...1979, 1980*, 1984, 1985, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019...14 times
Nit...1982, 1983, 1996, 1997, 2014, 2015...6 times
20 total overall
1980 vacated

Belmont...ncaat...2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2019...8 times
Nit...2004, 2014, 2016, 2017...4 times
12 total

Vermont...ncaat...2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2019...7 times
NIT...2007, 2011, 2014, 2018...4 times
11 total

Murray State...ncaat...1964, 1969, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2018, 2019...17 times
Nit...1980, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1994, 1996, 2011, 2015...8 times
25 total

Siena...ncaat...1989, 1999, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010...6 times
Nit...1988, 1991, 1994, 2000, 2003...5 times
11 total
You seem to have some hard core recency bias for Iona, who btw is 3-13 this year while Cluess is out on leave. We don't need another program that plays in a high school gym (3k capacity) and draws no fans. They are Fordham but in the MAAC. SMDH
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

You seem to have some hard core recency bias for Iona, who btw is 3-13 this year while Cluess is out on leave. We don't need another program that plays in a high school gym (3k capacity) and draws no fans. They are Fordham but in the MAAC. SMDH
True, but come on, look at what Iona has done under Cluess: 9 years, 6 ncaat, 2 nit, he is killing it. That has to be worth something. Actual results, and not just hypothetical upside, should mean something. Overall, they have more than double the number of NCAAT appearances than Siena has. I am very surprised that Cluess has not taken a better job elsewhere.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

True, but come on, look at what Iona has done under Cluess: 9 years, 6 ncaat, 2 nit, he is killing it. That has to be worth something. Actual results, and not just hypothetical upside, should mean something. Overall, they have more than double the number of NCAAT appearances than Siena has. I am very surprised that Cluess has not taken a better job elsewhere.
I would be a big no on Iona. And also on just about every team being mentioned. I would rather Fordham leave and no addition. Winning the MAAC tourney for a bid does not impress me. Iona has 1 at large bid I think in the history of the school.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Iona hasn’t won an actual NCAA game since 1980. Meanwhile Siena has advanced to the 2nd round on 3 separate occasions in that same time frame Including both in 2008 and 2009. Ask yourself why Cluess has never sniffed another job despite the success you are so impressed with. Not sure what you mean by hypothetical success with Siena, it’s like you are ignoring facts like them having the best attendance of any mid major in the northeast, having won 6 MAAC titles and getting to Round of 32 on 3 different occasions, 4 different coaches that have gone to P5 schools from there. All things you are choosing to ignore bc u want to bring in another school that plays in a high school gym to 2k fans just bc they have had success in the MAAC over the last 6-7 years.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

BAR, have you seen Siena's OOC schedule? BARF. Looks like the strongest team they scheduled was the Bonnies. No Thanks to them as well.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago BAR, have you seen Siena's OOC schedule? BARF. Looks like the strongest team they scheduled was the Bonnies. No Thanks to them as well.
Blue, it’s not what they are doing this season or last, it’s what are they capable of doing in a better league. I mean if you are basing it off schedules we should throw out Duquesne for playing the worst OOC schedule I have ever seen. This is a convo about who could replace Fordham.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago BAR, have you seen Siena's OOC schedule? BARF. Looks like the strongest team they scheduled was the Bonnies. No Thanks to them as well.
Blue, it’s not what they are doing this season or last, it’s what are they capable of doing in a better league. I mean if you are basing it off schedules we should throw out Duquesne for playing the worst OOC schedule I have ever seen. This is a convo about who could replace Fordham.
True, but do you think they can have a top 100 OOC schedule and succeed? I still would rather Fordham leave and not add anyone.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago
True, but do you think they can have a top 100 OOC schedule and succeed? I still would rather Fordham leave and not add anyone.
It’s impossible to tell. But there is a lot of talent in that part of NY for them to recruit from. And if they are in A10 they would be able to attract a higher caliber of kid. That said I agree best case scenario would be to drop Fordham and Lasalle and go down to 12 teams.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Iona hasn’t won an actual NCAA game since 1980. Meanwhile Siena has advanced to the 2nd round on 3 separate occasions in that same time frame Including both in 2008 and 2009. Ask yourself why Cluess has never sniffed another job despite the success you are so impressed with. Not sure what you mean by hypothetical success with Siena, it’s like you are ignoring facts like them having the best attendance of any mid major in the northeast, having won 6 MAAC titles and getting to Round of 32 on 3 different occasions, 4 different coaches that have gone to P5 schools from there. All things you are choosing to ignore bc u want to bring in another school that plays in a high school gym to 2k fans just bc they have had success in the MAAC over the last 6-7 years.
By himself, Cluess has as many NCAAT appearances at Iona as Siena has had in its entire history.

Just because Cluess chose to stay at Iona does not suggest anything nefarious. He had been mentioned in connection with the Hofstra and Rutgers jobs.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

bigappleram wrote: 4 years agoThis is a convo about who could replace Fordham.
If we are dropping Fordham and adding one team only, it is hands down Murray State who should be added.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great thread to send here:

BERNEDETTE MCGLADE
TITLE Commissioner
EMAIL bmcglade@atlantic10.org

Otherwise it’s like every year, let’s ditch Fordham noise and nothing even comes close to happening.
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

# of seasons with a rpi of 100 or better, from the 1993-1994 season thru last year:

Murray State 12, not likely this year to be # 100 or better
Iona 11, not likely this year to be #100 or better
Belmont 10, not likely this year to be #100 or better
Vermont 7, likely this year to be #100 or better
Siena 6, not likely this year to be #100 or better

Data from www.collegerpi.com and www.realtimerpi.com
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago # of seasons with a rpi of 100 or better, from the 1993-1994 season thru last year:

Murray State 12, not likely this year
Iona 11, not likely this year
Belmont 10, not likely this year
Vermont 7, likely this year
Siena 6, not likely this year

And what’s Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne who many posters have wanted dropped from the A10?
0 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago # of seasons with a rpi of 100 or better, from the 1993-1994 season thru last year:

Murray State 12, not likely this year
Iona 11, not likely this year
Belmont 10, not likely this year
Vermont 7, likely this year
Siena 6, not likely this year

And what’s Fordham, LaSalle and Duquesne who many posters always want dropped?
I did not look at this year.

Davidson 16
George Mason 9
LaSalle 3
Duquesne 2
Fordham 0
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......I don’t think Fordham is going anywhere until they decide they want something different.....and that probably goes for any other A-10 team......including us.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......I don’t think Fordham is going anywhere until they decide they want something different.....and that probably goes for any other A-10 team......including us.....
Completely agree. Nothing is changing unless the school itself wants change - such as Fordham wanting to go the the Patriot League, and even then the Patriot League would need to want Fordham.
1 x
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

I agree with the others, dump some of the bottom feeders. I do not know how you do that. Setting a minimum attendance number will not work imo since many of the A10 teams, including the ones we want to dump, are close together in that regard.

I looked at the last 5 years of rpi data. If we say that you have to average at rpi #200 or better over those 5 years, then the following teams get kicked out:

Fordham
Duquesne

George Mason averaged better than #200, but they have been a major disappointment as a recent addition.
0 x