2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
URIROTC2006
Abdul Fox

Re: 2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by URIROTC2006 »

I agree. Umass makes me nervous as hell. I hate playing the second game in our season series at Amherst.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URIROTC2006 wrote: 4 years ago I agree. Umass makes me nervous as hell. I hate playing the second game in our season series at Amherst.
I'm not worried about that game (yet). There are too many other games before that. 7 more to be exact and we need to win almost every one of them. I'll start worrying about the game at UMass on March 5th, after our 2nd game vs. Dayton. But you'll bet I'll be worried then!
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Win or lose, my wife and I stay to the end of every game, and we never get home to SE MA in more than 45min. Granted I am 74 so I do have a lot of experience getting out of parking lots, but I've also figured out where to park.
4 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

URIROTC2006 wrote: 4 years ago I agree. Umass makes me nervous as hell. I hate playing the second game in our season series at Amherst.
While I agree to a certain extent, we still have a lot to work to do before we think about that game. And, in reality , if you do want to think about that game, whether we will need game at the time or not, if Rams are the team that most of us here believe they are, they will not lose that game, especially with the extra incentive or hostilities. And its not like going into VCU or Dayton type of crowd or even St Bonnies or Davidson.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Just get by GW! Then move on to a big one!
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago
While I agree to a certain extent, we still have a lot to work to do before we think about that game. And, in reality , if you do want to think about that game, whether we will need game at the time or not, if Rams are the team that most of us here believe they are, they will not lose that game, especially with the extra incentive or hostilities. And its not like going into VCU or Dayton type of crowd or even St Bonnies or Davidson.
As others have said, though, this group is much better in front of a big crowd, whether they’re for us or against us. Playing in dead gyms sucks and it definitely seems to stifle our energy a little bit.

I agree with your bigger point, though. Don’t see us losing that, especially now that it is personal.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
giovanni
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
As others have said, though, this group is much better in front of a big crowd, whether they’re for us or against us. Playing in dead gyms sucks and it definitely seems to stifle our energy a little bit.

I agree with your bigger point, though. Don’t see us losing that, especially now that it is personal.
Very good point.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago A day in the life if Tre Mitchell’s mom’s boyfriend...
1) wake up, eat wheaties
2) sell some cars (pre-owned of course)
3) go to game And remember to wear purple jacket
4) get T’d up
5) start fight after the game with anyone I can find.
6) sell more cars (pre-owned of course)
Where does laying on Tre’s mom fit into his day ??? Sorry couldn’t resist lol
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

That may come after attempting to sell used cars for the 3rd time in his day. Maybe...
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

Someone else mentioned it earlier but parking right near any of the openings to the main "road" in the parking lot is a game changer. Also, back in to the spot so you can just pull right out into the flow of traffic when you do head out.

The closer you park to the Ryan center the worse it is when leaving.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote: 4 years ago Someone else mentioned it earlier but parking right near any of the openings to the main "road" in the parking lot is a game changer. Also, back in to the spot so you can just pull right out into the flow of traffic when you do head out.

The closer you park to the Ryan center the worse it is when leaving.
Shhhhhh .... don’t let out the secret!
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I want to say that playing against Tre Mitchell for three more years is going to be a pain in the ass, but the reality is likely that if they don't make some noise next year it will result in McCall being shown the front door and Mitchell exiting stage right to whatever program signs a deal with the devil (Bergeron).

Side note: Although Mitchell has 1/5th of the athleticism as Obi (most do) he reminds me of Obi in his ability to skip pass across defense on a line. He has the ability to pass out of a double team, work the block by himself (as he did all last night), shoot from the elbow, or even sometimes knock down a three.

There's some serious freshmen talent across the league this year.
Mitchell will be in the NBA in a couple of years. Imagine what he'll look like next year after a year in the strength and conditioning program. I think he jumps after next year or after his junior year at the latest.
That's a big leap to make. At his size he would have to be a face up 4 in the NBA, which would require him to be able to put the ball on the floor and consistently hit outside shots. People underestimate how difficult it is to make it in the league. You either have to be very good at all phases of the game (shooting, dribbling, defense, athleticism) or elite at 1 thing. He will torch the A10 for 4 years no doubt, but the NBA is a whole different ball game. There is a reason he ended up at UMass and not a P5, anyone could have secured his services if they were willing to hire Bergeron.
Can he play defense? If so, I missed that...
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

This comment doesn't square away with the Middle Tennessee game where we put the foot to their throat from the start before a crowd of 2800 rattling around in a 11,500 seat arena
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah there will always be exceptions to any kind of small trend factor like that out of 22 games. There’s probably another you can find, as well. But in general our best performances have been in good basketball environments - PC, VCU, Alabama at home, VCU on the road. We played much better at West Virginia who had about 11,000 people than we did against LSU on a weird neutral court with nobody there. Anyways, it’s not my original theory but I saw someone else say it and it struck me as something that might have some truth to it. I very much doubt the size of the crowd alone will ever be determinative one way or another.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'll have to make it a point to watch the Dayton at uASS on Feb 15. I'm wondering if Obi says something to Bergeron.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It wouldn’t surprise me if Tre puts his name in the draft after this year to test the waters lots of kids do that if their stock is high

I doubt he plays more than 2 years at Umass
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Yeah there will always be exceptions to any kind of small trend factor like that out of 22 games. There’s probably another you can find, as well. But in general our best performances have been in good basketball environments - PC, VCU, Alabama at home, VCU on the road. We played much better at West Virginia who had about 11,000 people than we did against LSU on a weird neutral court with nobody there. Anyways, it’s not my original theory but I saw someone else say it and it struck me as something that might have some truth to it. I very much doubt the size of the crowd alone will ever be determinative one way or another.
You are very right on size of crowd not being "determinative" because a crowded Pizzitola Center (with URI fans aplenty) didn't seem to energize the Rams. But they did well against North Texas before a few tourists and some Jamaican peddlers.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......Alumni Association just posted bus trip to UMess game in March........already ten people registered.....
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

reef wrote: 4 years ago It wouldn’t surprise me if Tre puts his name in the draft after this year to test the waters lots of kids do that if their stock is high

I doubt he plays more than 2 years at Umass
Y'all loco with this NBA talk. He's a very good A10 big man, that doesn't translate to the NBA necessarily. He isn't Obi Toppin who has elite level athleticism.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Alumni Association just posted bus trip to UMess game in March........already ten people registered.....
Every fan needs to be there.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago .......Alumni Association just posted bus trip to UMess game in March........already ten people registered.....
Who wants to ride in a bus with me for 4 hours total?
3 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
I’m off that weekend not sure if I can convince my wife but I’m debating it
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
Sounds like Tony B is doing all this crazy stuff trying to get McCall canned but he doesn’t realize he will probably be gone too ??
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He thinks he’s going to Jerry D it
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Tre is good but I don't know if he's NBA good. What's he 6'9? And not very quick. Maybe but if I had to bet I would say 2-way NBA/D league at best.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If all of that is true then that is absolutely insane.

The dude just seems batshit crazy.
2 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago I'll have to make it a point to watch the Dayton at uASS on Feb 15. I'm wondering if Obi says something to Bergeron.
Wouldn't surprise me if Obiwan cold cocks Bergeron. I was always super over the top protective of my brothers.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

hubba hubba
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Was it just me or was it extremely warm in the Ryan center Tuesday night?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

hubba hubba
.......who’s getting on the Rhody bus? Beers in the seats at Mullins?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago

hubba hubba
.......who’s getting on the Rhody bus? Beers in the seats at Mullins?
I believe UMass began selling beers that you could bring back to your seats at the Mullins Center last year along with Richmond and VCU that made similar moves at their venues at the same time. Per my understanding, this makes URI the only A-10 venue with a large capacity (7k+) that does not allow this. Beers can now be bought and drunk at your seats at UMass, UR, VCU, GMU, SLU, and UD.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

damram wrote: 4 years ago Was it just me or was it extremely warm in the Ryan center Tuesday night?
It's always warm-ish in there, but maybe Bergeron being full of hot air increased the temperature in the arena by a few degrees?
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

reef wrote: 4 years ago
SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago A day in the life if Tre Mitchell’s mom’s boyfriend...
1) wake up, eat wheaties
4) get T’d up
1) Eat bottom shelf version of Wheaties called, "Wheet-eeze"
2) Sell some 1996 Honda Accords with aftermarket chrome detailing and peeling tint off the windows. Preinstalled CD players!
3) Use half a bottle of Dep gel and decide whether to wear silver lamé suit (gentlemen, I don't expect you to know what lamé fabric is) or polyester burgundy and then check eBay for fake Gucci belts
4) Get T'd up
5) Fight teenagers
6) Try driving said used cars in reverse thinking that will lower the mileage on them
*Bonus Round *
7) "Gotta go home to my girl" after hitting on women at a bar while swilling Heinikens.
8 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

It's like Leisure suit Larry and Lounge Lizards , 2020 edition.
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

1) wake up, eat wheaties
4) get T’d up
2) Sell some 1996 Honda Accords with aftermarket chrome detailing and peeling tint off the windows. Preinstalled CD players!
3) Use half a bottle of Dep gel and decide whether to wear silver lamé suit (gentlemen, I don't expect you to know what lamé fabric is) or polyester burgundy and then check eBay for fake Gucci belts
4) Get T'd up
5) Fight teenagers
6) Try driving said used cars in reverse thinking that will lower the mileage on them
*Bonus Round *
7) "Gotta go home to my girl" after hitting on women at a bar while swilling Heinikens.
He bought that “Gucchi” (yes, Gucchi) belt out the trunk of a UMASS students trunk for $20. Heard he talked him down to $10.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

4) Get T'd up
5) Fight teenagers
*Bonus Round *
He bought that “Gucchi” (yes, Gucchi) belt out the trunk of a UMASS students trunk for $20. Heard he talked him down to $10.

Gucchi, Fendee, Praduh, Folex
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago It's like Leisure suit Larry and Lounge Lizards , 2020 edition.
Is that on Allen’s Ave?
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s embarrassing. Coaching is leading young men you don’t wear a clown suit to draw attention to yourself, especially as a first yeah HC at a D1 program. He is Jerry D redux and my bet is it has a similar ending for Umass. Disaster waiting to happen. They made a deal with the Devil.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

......bus update, there are approximately 20 registered.......do not know what sell out is.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......bus update, there are approximately 20 registered.......do not know what sell out is.....
If I'm not going on the bus where should I buy tickets to be behind the bench? Through umass or uri?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
section(105) wrote: 4 years ago ......bus update, there are approximately 20 registered.......do not know what sell out is.....
If I'm not going on the bus where should I buy tickets to be behind the bench? Through umass or uri?
......no clue, others here can probably guide you, Which bench?......I just want to be in the building after the past game with them......hate nite driving......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

The section that should be directly behind the URI bench should be section T. This is where I got my ticket for the Umass game. I will make the trip up but not on the bus. Will be driving up on my own.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I found out that section T was behind visitor bench by pulling up a Umass picture from a game and looking at sections listed behind it. Way back on the wall. Had to do some investigative work haha
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I however did not go through uri for the tickets. But not many fans attend umass games so prices are cheap and plenty available in other ticket services.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
I however did not go through uri for the tickets. But not many fans attend umass games so prices are cheap and plenty available in other ticket services.
Ok. So it looks like Section T is the one behind the URI bench then!
0 x
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Thanks guys for doing the leg work I'm probably going to be driving up myself.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Please please heckle Tony B !!!!
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I will be there. Short ride.