2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I want to say that playing against Tre Mitchell for three more years is going to be a pain in the ass, but the reality is likely that if they don't make some noise next year it will result in McCall being shown the front door and Mitchell exiting stage right to whatever program signs a deal with the devil (Bergeron).

Side note: Although Mitchell has 1/5th of the athleticism as Obi (most do) he reminds me of Obi in his ability to skip pass across defense on a line. He has the ability to pass out of a double team, work the block by himself (as he did all last night), shoot from the elbow, or even sometimes knock down a three.

There's some serious freshmen talent across the league this year.
Mitchell will be in the NBA in a couple of years. Imagine what he'll look like next year after a year in the strength and conditioning program. I think he jumps after next year or after his junior year at the latest.
That's a big leap to make. At his size he would have to be a face up 4 in the NBA, which would require him to be able to put the ball on the floor and consistently hit outside shots. People underestimate how difficult it is to make it in the league. You either have to be very good at all phases of the game (shooting, dribbling, defense, athleticism) or elite at 1 thing. He will torch the A10 for 4 years no doubt, but the NBA is a whole different ball game. There is a reason he ended up at UMass and not a P5, anyone could have secured his services if they were willing to hire Bergeron.
He already knows how to use his body around the rim to fend off defenders. Add strength and I think he'll find shots in the post in the NBA. And he does have a nice stroke from the outside. Not saying he's a lock by any means. I think the potential is there. We'll see.
1 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Excellent crowd of 6200+. Not one mention of a "strong crowd" or anything along those lines from Koch on Twitter, and only mentioned the number in his article once.

Take a dig at projected attendance before the game, but don't mention the strong and surprisingly energetic crowd once afterwards, a Koch staple.
This isn't true.

And as for the narrative you'd like to advance regarding any pregame shot, you might want to take a more nuanced look.
-- VCU as an opponent vs. UMass
-- Friday night showcase vs. Tuesday
-- Sellout vs. non-sellout
-- One game closer to Dayton, which encourages looking ahead

In terms of 'manufacturing energy,' it was a lot more layered. But that's obviously going to escape the grasp of some, and that's fine.
Last edited by Bill Koch 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
18 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It was great that the Greeks were there, but even JV couldn't get most of them to get on their feet or make noise. The noise came from the usual Ruckus members. I do appreciate that they filled up those seats though, especially in the 300 sections.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago It was great that the Greeks were there, but even JV couldn't get most of them to get on their feet or make noise. The noise came from the usual Ruckus members. I do appreciate that they filled up those seats though, especially in the 300 sections.
Students should be given credit for staying right up until the end of the game. Few left early.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

First off:

F UMASS

I hate them, their team, and their fans more than PC. Last night showed why. They're a classless institution who always finds a way to employ the slimiest, scummiest, worst type of coach (cheaters, miscreants, scumbags, AAU coaches banging recruits moms to catch a meal ticket - and that's just Tony Bergeron), worst type of players, and a win over them ALWAYS feels good.

I've never seen an assistant coach get T'd up before. Worse yet, I've never seen that with zero reaction from the head coach. Cox or Hurley would've handled it VERY differently I imagine. McCall seems like a good guy - but might be in over his head with Bergeron weighing him down. Hopefully Mitchell is worth it! I feel worse that Tyson is on those sidelines. He's too good to be associated with that type of filth.

Also - I went to post this in the Harris thread, but it's locked. This was his best game as a Ram. Obviously we know about his shortcomings defensively, but it's pretty tough to guard a guy who gets every foul call, bangs for 40 minutes in the paint, scores 30 points, and somehow has ZERO FOULS called on him until the final 2 minutes of play.

While Harris still has some growing to do on the defensive end - I saw him using the baseline as an extra defender tonight for the first time in his career. He looked bouncier and more active than I've seen him all season. Could be because he was healthier or maybe he's just slowly putting it together - but a very good game for him.

The three headed monster of Jeff, Fatts, and Rese continues to produce. Rese still makes some froshy mistakes (like grabbing the rim on a made layup), but he's turned his outside shooting around and I will genuinely take his mistakes because it comes with his aggression. Aggressive Rese = good Rese.

On the crowd - great work by the ticketing office to not include UMass in the package, but line it up with Greek Week instead. Students only get half credit for staying the whole game because they were only here for the Greek festivities. Either way they gave us a home court advantage. Hopefully some new faces saw enough to come back to the remaining games.

Also I said somethings about old fans earlier in the thread. To be honest, I was targeting a few choice ones in my section who live in my town (15 minutes away) and leave at the under 4 every.single.game. The logic of leaving a game still in the balance baffles me. Why even bother going if you don't care to see it through?

While I won't be walking the comments back entirely - shitty was over the line. We love all our Ram fans. I definitely didn't mean Carrie Nally who is a 92 year old boss who stays til the final whistle. Either way thanks for being supportive longer than I've been alive. Sorry I'm a dick. This should be a well established pattern by now. Beer on me at McMahon's Friday before the game.

That being said - it's extremely disheartening to see our players, who thrive off the crowd, walk off the floor to a half empty arena after a tough win. This team deserves to be clapped off the floor. We have 4 home games left with Jeff and Cyril. You ain't exactly leaving Gillette Stadium or the Xfinity Center. You're in South County. You will make it to the highway. These players deserve the extra 2-4-15 minutes of your time for the season they're having and the effort they're leaving on the court to entertain you. They are playing FOR you. The least you could do is show your appreciation when the game is over.

That and it would've been nicer to have more people to witness UMass' scumbaggery and boo them out of Kingston accordingly.

9 in a row. BEAT GW.
14 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago It was great that the Greeks were there, but even JV couldn't get most of them to get on their feet or make noise. The noise came from the usual Ruckus members. I do appreciate that they filled up those seats though, especially in the 300 sections.
Yeah... The Greeks filled lots of student seats but didn't show nearly enough passion for college frat boys. Even in the floor section there were spots of empty seats and students sitting down not interested in the game. Throughout the season the students have been really good I just think yesterday was unusual because of Greek week.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago First off:

F UMASS

I hate them, their team, and their fans more than PC. Last night showed why. They're a classless institution who always finds a way to employ the slimiest, scummiest, worst type of coach (cheaters, miscreants, scumbags, AAU coaches banging recruits moms to catch a meal ticket - and that's just Tony Bergeron), worst type of players, and a win over them ALWAYS feels good.

I've never seen an assistant coach get T'd up before. Worse yet, I've never seen that with zero reaction from the head coach. Cox or Hurley would've handled it VERY differently I imagine. McCall seems like a good guy - but might be in over his head with Bergeron weighing him down. Hopefully Mitchell is worth it! I feel worse that Tyson is on those sidelines. He's too good to be associated with that type of filth.

Also - I went to post this in the Harris thread, but it's locked. This was his best game as a Ram. Obviously we know about his shortcomings defensively, but it's pretty tough to guard a guy who gets every foul call, bangs for 40 minutes in the paint, scores 30 points, and somehow has ZERO FOULS called on him until the final 2 minutes of play.

While Harris still has some growing to do on the defensive end - I saw him using the baseline as an extra defender tonight for the first time in his career. He looked bouncier and more active than I've seen him all season. Could be because he was healthier or maybe he's just slowly putting it together - but a very good game for him.

The three headed monster of Jeff, Fatts, and Rese continues to produce. Rese still makes some froshy mistakes (like grabbing the rim on a made layup), but he's turned his outside shooting around and I will genuinely take his mistakes because it comes with his aggression. Aggressive Rese = good Rese.

On the crowd - great work by the ticketing office to not include UMass in the package, but line it up with Greek Week instead. Students only get half credit for staying the whole game because they were only here for the Greek festivities. Either way they gave us a home court advantage. Hopefully some new faces saw enough to come back to the remaining games.

Also I said somethings about old fans earlier in the thread. To be honest, I was targeting a few choice ones in my section who live in my town (15 minutes away) and leave at the under 4 every.single.game. The logic of leaving a game still in the balance baffles me. Why even bother going if you don't care to see it through?

While I won't be walking the comments back entirely - shitty was over the line. We love all our Ram fans. I definitely didn't mean Carrie Nally who is a 92 year old boss who stays til the final whistle. Either way thanks for being supportive longer than I've been alive. Sorry I'm a dick. This should be a well established pattern by now. Beer on me at McMahon's Friday before the game.

That being said - it's extremely disheartening to see our players, who thrive off the crowd, walk off the floor to a half empty arena after a tough win. This team deserves to be clapped off the floor. We have 4 home games left with Jeff and Cyril. You ain't exactly leaving Gillette Stadium or the Xfinity Center. You're in South County. You will make it to the highway. These players deserve the extra 2-4-15 minutes of your time for the season they're having and the effort they're leaving on the court to entertain you. They are playing FOR you. The least you could do is show your appreciation when the game is over.

That and it would've been nicer to have more people to witness UMass' scumbaggery and boo them out of Kingston accordingly.

9 in a row. BEAT GW.
The people leaving 4 minutes early disgust me. They have won 9 in a row. The players deserve a standing ovation for every win they get.
4 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago

F UMASS

9 in a row. BEAT GW.
The people leaving 4 minutes early disgust me. They have won 9 in a row. The players deserve a standing ovation for every win they get.

For those that dont live close by, have children attending the games, have to work early in the AM, etc. I understand why they would want to get a head start. Getting out of Kingston, from the parking lot to the highway is miserable.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

To be honest, I was targeting a few choice ones in my section who live in my town (15 minutes away) and leave at the under 4 every.single.game. The logic of leaving a game still in the balance baffles me. Why even bother going if you don't care to see it through?
There is a couple in our row that leaves EVERY SINGLE GAME at the under 4. I know for a fact they live about three miles from campus off 138. Honestly they will leave whether it's a 20 point blowout or tied.

I think one or both of them must have some phobia related to walking out in a large crowd. Maybe they stand and watch from the end zone or something. Drives me crazy though.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So they will leave next month if its

71-70 URI over Dayton with 4 minutes left??
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Had two people in their late 30s leave when we were up 8ish with a 4/5 minutes left?? Something around there.

Won’t ever understand it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Sure, it's not in a city next to an on ramp, but it's really not that bad getting out to Rt138, Rt1 or Rt4. If you take Slocum Rd you can by-pass 138 and 1 all together if you're headed towards the city. I get out faster than I've ever been able to get out of Foxborro or Great Woods for comparison sake.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Excellent crowd of 6200+. Not one mention of a "strong crowd" or anything along those lines from Koch on Twitter, and only mentioned the number in his article once.

Take a dig at projected attendance before the game, but don't mention the strong and surprisingly energetic crowd once afterwards, a Koch staple.
This isn't true.

And as for the narrative you'd like to advance regarding any pregame shot, you might want to take a more nuanced look.

In terms of 'manufacturing energy,' it was a lot more layered. But that's obviously going to escape the grasp of some, and that's fine.
Don't feed our troll, Bill. :)
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago

This isn't true.

Bill you never have to defend yourself to the people who will complain on this board about anything they can. I would bet those complaining about any type of coverage URI gets are not paying the $16 a month to read the ProJo, so I'm not sure why they feel their opinion carries weight.

As a ProJo subscriber for the sole reason of reading your work and supporting the local coverage of my team, the rest of us appreciate all you do to cover this team in detail; professionally and objectively.
Last edited by Blue Man 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Sure, it's not in a city next to an on ramp, but it's really not that bad getting out to Rt138, Rt1 or Rt4. If you take Slocum Rd you can by-pass 138 and 1 all together if you're headed towards the city. I get out faster than I've ever been able to get out of Foxborro or Great Woods for comparison sake.
Sure but not everyone knows that route. Im just not going knock anyones personal choice on when they choose to leave. For whatever there reason is. Baught a ticket supporting the program and possibly bringing young future rhody faithfuls to the game. Yes the team deserves recognition and applause leaving the court after a hard fought victory. But it is what it is 🤷‍♂️
2 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Students should be given credit for staying right up until the end of the game. Few left early.
I think they had to stay.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting read concerning Bergeron from a Flyer fan on their board. Would think he/she has no stake in either side of URI vs UMass.
Screenshot_2020-02-05 Games of note 2019-2020 edition - Page 11 - UDPride Discussion Forums.png

Link:
http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthrea ... 54&page=11
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting read concerning Bergeron from a Flyer fan on their board. Would think he/she has no stake in either side of URI vs UMass.

Screenshot_2020-02-05 Games of note 2019-2020 edition - Page 11 - UDPride Discussion Forums.png
Holy hell this sleezeball may be the worse all around person in D1 athletics right now.

Just by looking at him you could tell he’s bad news.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting read concerning Bergeron from a Flyer fan on their board. Would think he/she has no stake in either side of URI vs UMass.

Holy hell this sleezeball may be the worse all around person in D1 athletics right now.

Just by looking at him you could tell he’s bad news.
Not sure if anyone heard it - but my Gordon Gekko and male pattern baldness heckles were on point last night. *pats self on back*

*shrugs off douchy self-congratulations*
4 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Sure, it's not in a city next to an on ramp, but it's really not that bad getting out to Rt138, Rt1 or Rt4. If you take Slocum Rd you can by-pass 138 and 1 all together if you're headed towards the city. I get out faster than I've ever been able to get out of Foxborro or Great Woods for comparison sake.
Sure but not everyone knows that route. Im just not going knock anyones personal choice on when they choose to leave. For whatever there reason is. Baught a ticket supporting the program and possibly bringing young future rhody faithfuls to the game. Yes the team deserves recognition and applause leaving the court after a hard fought victory. But it is what it is 🤷‍♂️
It would also be great if fans got there by opening tip off but everyone has their own issues and schedules and I am not going to worry about it. On the plus side the people leaving early make it easier for those of us who stay to the end get off campus. Since we are not selling out the vast majority of our games I'd much rather have them there for part of the game than not at all.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Link:
http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthrea ... 54&page=11
Blown up from the pic:

"I just got some stories from someone with very good insider knowledge of UMass basketball. Apparently McCall has lost all control of the program. Tony Bergeron has alienated the rest of the assistants and McCall lets him run the strategy, game planning and in game adjustments. McCall will probably not last after this season and actually almost got fired mid season a few weeks ago per these sources.

Also when Bergeron got the T last night McCall told him he need to be quiet to which he responded F*** You! This from someone sitting directly behind the UMass bench.

The reason for the scuffle last night goes back to Jacob Toppin's days at Woodstock Academy and Bergeron wanting him to go to UMass and when he decided on URI Bergeron withheld his transcripts so it has set off a war with the Toppin family. Apparently when UD played them he also talked trash to Obi in the handshake line saying "you're not from Broooklyn , you're from Ossining".

This guy Bergeron is one of your typical bad-for-kids "handler" and I'm not sure how he keeps getting jobs. Thank god we did not hire McCall when we had our opening, from what I'm hearing he has no balls to deal with Bergeron.

This season the AD hired a guy named Paul Cormier to be the Special Assistant to the Head Coach (mentor). He was previously a head coach at Dartmouth and Fairfield as well as having NBA experience. Apparently Cormier and Bergeron do not get along and Bergeron told McCall that he needed to keep Cormier out of any meetings or else he would stop going to the meetings. So Cormier no longer sits in on any staff game planning meetings.

Things do not seem to be very good in Minutemen land right now. I don't think it will end well this year for McCall."

Used car salesman may have been too kind an insult.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That transcript allegation would be lawsuit worthy IMHO. The game in Amherst will be a war methinks.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI radio guy Steve McDonald mentioned on the post game that he had heard stories from around the A-10 about the antics of Bergeron. He implicated that he is not well liked.

Post Game Audio:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/821-whjj ... -57036431/
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago URI radio guy Steve McDonald mentioned on the post game that he had heard stories from around the A-10 about the antics of Bergeron. He implicated that he is not well liked.
Can't imagine why.

I've watched a lot of basketball. You don't usually see an end-of-the-bench assistant talk shit to an opposing player after the handshake line.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Yeah Blueman I was laughing pretty hard with some of the comments and heckling you did. I sit a couple rows in front of you in 205 C. Male baldness is a serious problem.. TOO FUNNY lol. I hope all of us can sit behind the umass bench at the away game and just heckle him the whole time haha.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Even before the end of the game nonsense, Bergeron had me shaking his head. During timeouts he would sit and talk to the players while McCall huddled with Tyson and the other assistant. When McCall took his place talking to the players Bergeron would go sit alone on the bench, not interested in whatever McCall had to say. Can't imagine any other head coach putting up with such behavior. Clearly, Bergeron is trying to undermine McCall so he can take his place next year.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah Blueman I was laughing pretty hard with some of the comments and heckling you did. I sit a couple rows in front of you in 205 C. Male baldness is a serious problem.. TOO FUNNY lol. I hope all of us can sit behind the umass bench at the away game and just heckle him the whole time haha.
I'm sorry. As many who have sat in those rows in front of me can attest - you have to deal with a lot.

You're a warrior to deal with that night in/night out. Thank you for your service.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Also, I give Cox and his assistants credit for the way they handled it. Bergeron was right in Cox' face but he remained calm. TJ and Carroll got the players away from the mess and Sutton removed Cox from the situation. When they go low ....
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The fact that UMass Head Coach Matt McCall was all alone in the tunnel while Assistant Tony Bergeron and the rest of the team was still back on the court might actually be further proof of the assertions in the Dayton fan post. Given Bergeron is dating the star player's mother and brought much of the talent along with him from Woodstock Academy, it might very well have made McCall the odd man out. McCall looks the part of a dead man walking with his quick bolting for the exit and detachment from the team and staff. If Bergeron also has issues with others in the UMass program, it just further makes for a very toxic environment. Tony's delivering of players to UMass prior to his hiring there along with his personal relationship with a player's mother also gives off a very sleazey appearance.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah Blueman I was laughing pretty hard with some of the comments and heckling you did. I sit a couple rows in front of you in 205 C. Male baldness is a serious problem.. TOO FUNNY lol. I hope all of us can sit behind the umass bench at the away game and just heckle him the whole time haha.
I'm sorry. As many who have sat in those rows in front of me can attest - you have to deal with a lot.

You're a warrior to deal with that night in/night out. Thank you for your service.
Nah man its funny. I love the passion about the team and this program. Everyone expresses it differently especially in heat of the game and once in a while we get a nice laugh out of it hahaha.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bergeron reminds me of that Jason Brown dude from Last Chance U a little.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Wouldn't put it past that lowlife to instruct all security to toss anybody who so much as looks in his direction during the game in Amherst. Probably best to save the heckling towards the end of the game so we all can enjoy beating them by a billion.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Bergeron reminds me of that Jason Brown dude from Last Chance U a little.
Coach Cox’s favorite show. Spot on reference.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Also, if anyone wants to (I’m holding back but it’s not easy), Bergeron’s Twitter DMs are public and anyone can send him one.

😬😬😬
0 x
Go Rhody
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

F UMASS

9 in a row. BEAT GW.

For those that dont live close by, have children attending the games, have to work early in the AM, etc. I understand why they would want to get a head start. Getting out of Kingston, from the parking lot to the highway is miserable.
I disagree with this. I drive down from NH for ~10 games per year, and the traffic leaving the Ryan Center is not that bad. The worst I've ever experienced since 2009 is maybe a 15 minute delay. The traffic is worse when I'm leaving my local high school basketball games.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Also, if anyone wants to (I’m holding back but it’s not easy), Bergeron’s Twitter DMs are public and anyone can send him one.

😬😬😬

Go for it Rhody 15.

You obviously have an affinity for making people mad here.

Direct that energy at Tony Burgertron.
4 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

That poor kid Tre, he's gonna be a beast in the A10 for sure... but look at his list of offers, and he chose UMASS?? to follow that clown?

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Tre-M ... Interests/
2 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

As someone who always gets up and "leaves" at the under 4 minute timeout I can tell you this, we don't actually leave the game just go to an area closer to the exits to watch the end of the game. If you have small children at home alone with your wife you would understand why.
6 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UMass needs to blowup that whole situation and fire that whole staff and start from scratch

It’s beyond a mess there lol
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Here's an article about Bergeron: He openly states he wants the UMass HC job.

“I want to be at UMass,” Bergeron said. “I will do whatever it takes to stick here, but [McCall] and Ryan Bamford know my dream is to one day be the coach of UMass. I tell him, listen if we can get you hired by the Miami Heat or something like that, then I’d love to have the job.”

https://dailycollegian.com/2019/11/tony ... asketball/

I know most assistants want the HC position, but I think it's poor form to state openly that you want your bosses job. Then all your motives are now in question.
Last edited by RIFan 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

It's a shame that Tyson is going to get caught in the crossfire in that mess.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That situation has all the makings of a disaster quite similar to our own Jerry D situation. The inmates running the asylum. McCall signed a deal with the devil to bring some talent into the program, and try to save his job. But it might ultimately be his undoing. Any situation where the employee is undermining the boss is not going to end up well. That guy just looks like bad news and where there is smoke there is almost always fire.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago I want to say that playing against Tre Mitchell for three more years is going to be a pain in the ass, but the reality is likely that if they don't make some noise next year it will result in McCall being shown the front door and Mitchell exiting stage right to whatever program signs a deal with the devil (Bergeron).

Side note: Although Mitchell has 1/5th of the athleticism as Obi (most do) he reminds me of Obi in his ability to skip pass across defense on a line. He has the ability to pass out of a double team, work the block by himself (as he did all last night), shoot from the elbow, or even sometimes knock down a three.

There's some serious freshmen talent across the league this year.
Mitchell will be in the NBA in a couple of years. Imagine what he'll look like next year after a year in the strength and conditioning program. I think he jumps after next year or after his junior year at the latest.
I like Mitchell but highly doubt he’s going to the nba. May get a look in g league or something. He’s good offensively and he’s got a nice touch. However he’s slow, doesn’t rebound and a defensive liability. Wish the kid all the success in the world (except for URI games) but that’s my take.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Here's an article about Bergeron: He openly state he wants the UMass HC job.

“I want to be at UMass,” Bergeron said. “I will do whatever it takes to stick here, but [McCall] and Ryan Bamford know my dream is to one day be the coach of UMass. I tell him, listen if we can get you hired by the Miami Heat or something like that, then I’d love to have the job.”

I know most assistants want the HC position, but I think it's poor form to state openly that you want your bosses job. Then all your motives are now in question.
what an asshat...I read the below from the article, running coaches out of 5-star camp if they were unfair to the kids, haha ok so who ran Bergeron out for pulling the transcript stuff with Jacob

“Tony always got along great with the players,” Klein said. “He didn’t necessarily always get along with all the staff because if you were a staff member who wasn’t good or fair to the campers, he would challenge you. He was always very much about the kids first. If you were an established coach and you came to Five Star and you thought that it was about you and not the kids, then you were in for a rude awakening.

“There were several successful coaches that Tony ran out of camp because they were confused; they thought it was them.”
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I would be more so surprised if Tre Mitchell doesnt make it into the NBA.

If he is this good now then his ceiling has to be high.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

F UMASS

9 in a row. BEAT GW.

I live about 7 miles away and it still takes me 40-45 minutes to get home so I can imagine it being miserable if you LIVE 40-45 minutes away. I strategically park backed into a spot next to an aisle. Not sure HOW much the head start of leaving with 2 minutes left gives people, I've never done it. Overall I think the traffic pattern kind of stinks. I had some jabroni last night think it was that two cars at a time go, and not one lets the other one out.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

RIFan wrote: 4 years ago Here's an article about Bergeron: He openly states he wants the UMass HC job.

Grew up in "big Italian family"......Bergeron? Looks like he's a wannbe, what a disgrace to the Italians.
6 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago It's a shame that Tyson is going to get caught in the crossfire in that mess.
I had a very good view of the UMASS bench. Bergeron looked like a complete clown the entire time and the icing on the cake was after the game. Tyson is too good for all of that. What a mess!
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Whoa. This guy has some serious style. Image was too large to paste in.... just scope out those shoes!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK_aqslXUAA ... =4096x4096
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Well, it's now Wednesday. And the fear a few days ago (at least speaking for moi) was that we weren't going to take this bottom half A-10 UMass team seriously, and they would be able to sneak up on us.

Don't have to worry about that now. And Game #2 in Amherst is going to be a rock fight, with much on the line.

It doesn't matter that two other A-10 teams almost beat them by 30. They hate us. And hate is a great equalizer.
0 x