2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Re: 2/4 | UMass | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I missed what the tech was for during the game. Anyone know who got T'd up for what?
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Some terrible calls tonight including offensive foul against Dowtin , blocking foul on Toppin and two fouls on Russell threes and others. Team
got the win which is all that matters . Now on to DC against GW . Need to play a little better on Saturday.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am happy with the win.
2 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The game was never really in doubt. To echo what many are saying: some seriously bad blown calls.

Mitchell was very very good, but i feel like we conceded the fact he wasn’t going to beat us alone so we were okay with his grind it out two point buckets towards the end.

Need more out of our bench as we continue down the home stretch.

I’m hoping the scuffle at the end brings a fire to our away game at UMass to end the year.

Onto GW.
3 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bergeron was the HC at Woodstock Academy last year. He coached Mitchell, two other UMass Fr & Jacob Toppin last year.
There is bad blood between Toppin and Bergeron.
The issue I have is the lack of respect a first year Ast Coach (Bergeron) showed to the opponent’s Head Coach (Cox). Bergeron got in his face yelling and was inch away. Buss league. Show some respect and walk away.

As a footnote, Bergeron met Tre Mitchell’s mother while recruiting him to play at Woodstock Academy and began dating her less year (dated one of his player’s mother during the season). That is what TP was referring to.

Btw, crappy finish by Rhody which I hate.
5 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

This could explain the officiating

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

What's the bad blood? That Bergeron didn't play Toppin during his Post Grad year?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

anyone got an attendance number?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Glad our boy Jacob doesnt have to hang around ol Bergeron anymore.

Hope his former coach and teammates have been enjoying all the losing and future losses.
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I’ll blame the crappy finish on those god awful refs. Atrocious!! Fatts looked like he was clearly fouled on his two 3-point attempts late in the second half, yet no foul call on either. Even the TV announcers were flabbergasted. Harris clocked in the face by Mitchell late in the game, no foul call. Martin called for offensive interference on Fatts layup, yet the replay clearly showed he never touched the ball. And I even thought Fatts was fouled on that late inbounds play where they called a jump ball and UMASS got possession. That’s a LOT of points we lost out on during the tail end of the second half.

Do the refs get evaluated after these games?? If so I would fire that entire crew immediately.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago What's the bad blood? That Bergeron didn't play Toppin during his Post Grad year?
Yes, and that he wanted Toppin to go with him to UMASS. Almost as if he was hiding the kid.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PERFECT GAME TONIGHT !

love it

Got the win and we got a reason for coach to get their attention going into GW

GO RHODY

TIME TO PUNCH OUT

SHIFT IS OVER !
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago What's the bad blood? That Bergeron didn't play Toppin during his Post Grad year?
Yes, and that he wanted Toppin to go with him to UMASS. Almost as if he was hiding the kid.
What an asshat. Real professional. A-10 should look into this.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
steviep123
Sly Williams

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago I’ll blame the crappy finish on those god awful refs. Atrocious!! Fatts looked like he was clearly fouled on his two 3-point attempts late in the second half, yet no foul call on either. Even the TV announcers were flabbergasted. Harris clocked in the face by Mitchell late in the game, no foul call. Martin called for offensive interference on Fatts layup, yet the replay clearly showed he never touched the ball. And I even thought Fatts was fouled on that late inbounds play where they called a jump ball and UMASS got possession. That’s a LOT of points we lost out on during the tail end of the second half.

Do these refs get evaluated after these games?? If so I would fire that entire crew immediately.
Martin did touch the rim but it was after the ball was mostly through the cylinder. Does that matter? Fatts got both free throws (he was fouled on the play). So that’s one point.

3 times Fatts was fouled taking a 3. Harris clobbered underneath. Dowtin is fouled hitting a shot in the first half. Overturned to offensive (!!!). That’s up to 15 points not scored due to crappy officiating.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Bergeron was the HC at Woodstock Academy last year. He coached Mitchell, two other UMass Fr & Jacob Toppin last year.
The issue I have is the lack of respect a first year Ast Coach (Bergeron) showed to the opponent’s Head Coach (Cox). Bergeron got in his face yelling and was inch away. Buss league. Show some respect and walk away.

As a footnote, Bergeron met Tre Mitchell’s mother while recruiting him to play at Woodstock Academy and began dating her less year (dated one of his player’s mother during the season). That is what TP was referring to.

Jerry D wannabe. What a scumbag
4 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago This could explain the officiating

Mike is one of the best refs in college basketball and has done multiple final fours and championship games. He’s from Providence, he’s not a PC guy. He was one of the biggest grass roots basketball guys in RI in the 90s (started RI Breakers and the neutaconkanut summer league which was the best summer around when I was a high school player). He was my coach for several years. He is definitely not biased against URI. Overall, the officiating was bad but not a lot of it was Mike’s fault. I thought the bald white guy, specifically, was objectively terrible.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We got the win. That's all we need. Some good play/bad play but overall we took care of business. Lethargic crowd for the size but I did my best. Bergeron is a punk ass bitch.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Mike is one of the best refs in college basketball and has done multiple final fours and championship games. He’s from Providence, he’s not a PC guy. He was one of the biggest grass roots basketball guys in RI in the 90s (started RI Breakers and the neutaconkanut summer league which was the best summer around when I was a high school player). He was my coach for several years. He is definitely not biased against URI. Overall, the officiating was bad but not a lot of it was Mike’s fault. I thought the bald white guy, specifically, was objectively terrible.
Thanks for setting me straight TP.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We brought our B game and had questionable refereeing and the game was never in doubt. Move on. The T was on the jerk with the red suit.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago We got the win. That's all we need. Some good play/bad play but overall we took care of business. Lethargic crowd for the size but I did my best. Bergeron is a punk ass bitch.
The first half, it was tough to get the crowd going. Every time URI got up 6-7 points, UAss would come right back.

I was pleased with the overall crowd size. More than I expected.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago

Thanks for setting me straight TP.
Sorry wasn’t trying to rant at you but I always like when I see Mike on TV because I know him. So just wanted to say my piece in his defense because I know he doesn’t suck.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Bergeron was the HC at Woodstock Academy last year. He coached Mitchell, two other UMass Fr & Jacob Toppin last year.

True piece of shit, that guy. Lives the sleaze lifestyle and has the suits to prove it. Just an all-around creep and slimeball.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Maybe McCall should get Bergeron one of those leashes that people put on their kids in the mall or something.

4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

No worries. I have no problem admitting when I’m wrong (although my wife may disagree)
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

6,328 in attendance. Nice crowd.
13 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

The only fair penalty for the end game scuffle is to suspend Tre Mitchell for their last regular season game.
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......loved what a I saw from Jermaine, coming along nicely......great to see.....
11 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Some terrible calls tonight including offensive foul against Dowtin , blocking foul on Toppin and two fouls on Russell threes and others. Team
got the win which is all that matters . Now on to DC against GW . Need to play a little better on Saturday.
Without the benefit of replay that block on toppin was atrocious worst of the game I’d say
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
What an asshat. Real professional. A-10 should look into this.
Yeah, especially if it’s true. Rumor mill
0 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Toppin’s IG Story includes as message from his HS Ast Coach in Brooklyn:
“Tonight you gunna do it REAL BIG....this game tonight is personal. Look at this video (his URI commitment video). They wanted to take this away from you!”

Toppin didn’t start for Woodstock Academy towards the end of last season. The three UMass recruits started. Maybe Toppin feels like Bergeron was screwing him and hurting his chances of get a scholarship from a top program.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhodysRelevant wrote: 4 years ago
luke wrote: 4 years ago Some terrible calls tonight including offensive foul against Dowtin , blocking foul on Toppin and two fouls on Russell threes and others. Team
Without the benefit of replay that block on toppin was atrocious worst of the game I’d say
Disagree. I watched on tv. He leaned back before taking the hit. Definitely a block to me
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

https://twitter.com/EliSlovin/status/12 ... 19104?s=19

Video of the scuffle from cbs sports network
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

vanquished those pesky minutemen!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Tre Mitchell was not called for a single foul until there was less than a minute left. How is that possible?
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

good crowd for a Tuesday night against a lousy UAss team.
5 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Tre Mitchell was not called for a single foul until there was less than a minute left. How is that possible?
Because he's soft as sh-- on D.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 x
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

Just watched it back on the TV and that Toppin handshake line jawing was before that jerk came to mid court to talk to Cox. You couldn’t tell whether Toppin was responding to something he heard or started it. Toppin then went off court but came back during the Cox scrum to continue chirping.

Also McCall might have said he didn’t know what happened but at some point he came back out because he was on court for at least the last part.

I feel like McCall has his hands tied (of his own making) because he has so many guys under the control of this a**hole. He can’t discipline his own coach for fear of losing the players.

I worry for Tyson getting caught up in what is clearly shady nonsense and general buffoonery.
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BTW, that tech was not on McCall. It was on Bergeron. It was right across from me. The ref called the T and pointed right at him. As far as people leaving early, they missed the near brawl (it never got to that, but was heading that way). Bergeron sought out Cox at halfcourt at started giving him shit. David got right back in Bergeron's face. As people were trying to break it up, Shane Donaldson got knocked to the ground. Carl Pierre was trying to get anybody to fight him. The police had to interject at that point and directed Pierre to the locker room. Rese and Mekhi came back out of the locker room when they heard the commotion. Bergeron started the whole thing. He is a total asshole. I wonder how McCall feels about one of his assistants getting a tech. He probably won't do a thing about it.
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

No class Umass. Bergeron is an dweeb.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Bergeron is one of the trashiest men I’ve ever seen on a bench at a D1 basketball game. Everyone was remarking on his trash bag suit and equally trash bag personality. Of course he had to add in his massive Gucci belt. Who are you trying to impress, bro? I didn’t see what transpired at the beginning since I was talking and putting on my coat. This umass team never ceases to amaze me! Through the years I’ve been between their fans mouthing off at our fans walking out of the RC, etc. Bergeron is slime and is not a reflection of the rest of that coaching staff.
Last edited by Taylor Swift 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
7 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Steve and Don said Bergeron was the instigator. Totally unacceptable even if Jacob was doing some mouthing at the end.
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I saw McCall in the hallway by the entrance to the locker room when the post game dust-up occurred. I was actually surprised he was the first person going to the locker room without any of the team or staff with him. He only returned to the court once he heard the crowd and knew something had happened. He had no part in things and looks to have gone back out to get his team quickly into the locker room. I don't hold him at all responsible for anything concerning the scrum.
2 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

This shows what happened. Bergeron said something to Toppin when Toppin was leaving (probably about IG Story). Cox approached Bergeron about yelling at Toppin.
Bergeron losses it with Cox.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago You can tell that Tony Bergeron is a two bit punk and is wrong in every disagreement he has with anyone ever because he dresses like an extra in a bad 90s mob movie. You know that he’s a low life piece of shit because he sold his stepson to UMass for a job. So whatever that was all about, I feel safe in assuming it was 150% Bergeron’s fault.

Bergeron, go get your shine box you fucking clown.
I bet he makes Tre call him 'dad'.
2 x
URI'21
Kenny Green

Unread post by URI'21 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
Love watching Cox stand his ground, defend his boys, and silence that loser. THATS MY COACH
10 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Scoring 73 points isnt bad and neither is giving up 67 points. It was an emotional game and winning 9 in a row is very difficult. Onto to the nation's capital!
6 x
GO RAMS
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

5 x