Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: Fatts

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If Fatts keeps this play up and if we win a game or two in the tourney, do we think there’s a chance A. Fatts declares for the draft but then comes back or B. Declares and stays in the draft?

Zags has a tweet about a week ago mentioning some NBA people had their eye on Fatts.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago If Fatts keeps this play up and if we win a game or two in the tourney, do we think there’s a chance A. Fatts declares for the draft but then comes back or B. Declares and stays in the draft?

Zags has a tweet about a week ago mentioning some NBA people had their eye on Fatts.
If folks are seriously talking Fatts to the league near the end of the season, it'll be because we are on one heck of a serious ride.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Look who's tied for A10 scoring lead:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... conference
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Has anyone else noticed on Fatts' ESPN player profile they left out all stats from his freshman year?
0 x
Go Rhody
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Something I don't pay attention too since its looks so fluid is Fatts dribbling ability. The moves that guy makes is nuts.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... conference

Thought this was a fair write up.

Front-runner: Obi Toppin, Dayton Flyers

Toppin, a projected first-round pick in the NBA draft who commands the most efficient offense in America, is not only the favorite in this Player of the Year race, he might be the front-runner in the Wooden Award chase, too. He has put together eye-popping numbers for a Dayton team that's undefeated in the Atlantic 10, but his 71 percent clip inside the 3-point line in A-10 play, along with 19.7 PPG and 8.0 RPG, top the list.

Top competition: Fatts Russell, Rhode Island Rams

He has steered Rhode Island's eight-game winning streak (its last loss was Jan. 5). Russell entered the week averaging 20.0 PPG, an assist every five possessions and a 42 percent success rate from the 3-point line in A-10 action.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

As much as I hate to say it, I doubt that the league will choose anyone over Obi unless Fatts completely outplays Obi in both games and Rhody wins at least one of them. The A10 kind of screwed Rhody with the awards 2 years ago, not having the player of the year or defensive player of the year. While the league could make a legit case for co-players of the year to Aldridge and Adams over Terrell, giving the DPOY to Watanabe over Robinson was a complete joke. Unfortunately, I don't think the league screws Dayton in that manner like they did us. The best we can hope for is co-player of the year. I'm sure he will be first team.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago As much as I hate to say it, I doubt that the league will choose anyone over Obi unless Fatts completely outplays Obi in both games and Rhody wins at least one of them. The A10 kind of screwed Rhody with the awards 2 years ago, not having the player of the year or defensive player of the year. While the league could make a legit case for co-players of the year to Aldridge and Adams over Terrell, giving the DPOY to Watanabe over Robinson was a complete joke. Unfortunately, I don't think the league screws Dayton in that manner like they did us. The best we can hope for is co-player of the year. I'm sure he will be first team.
Yeah I always sided with the leagues assessment on those awards going to the conference champions in the years where we fell short. Like EC getting robbed of ROY. Xavier Munford not getting all-conference. Plus everything listed above.

After winning said conference championship and still not having our players receive those accolades, I am now firmly on the side of the conference leadership has a bias against us.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago As much as I hate to say it, I doubt that the league will choose anyone over Obi unless Fatts completely outplays Obi in both games and Rhody wins at least one of them. The A10 kind of screwed Rhody with the awards 2 years ago, not having the player of the year or defensive player of the year. While the league could make a legit case for co-players of the year to Aldridge and Adams over Terrell, giving the DPOY to Watanabe over Robinson was a complete joke. Unfortunately, I don't think the league screws Dayton in that manner like they did us. The best we can hope for is co-player of the year. I'm sure he will be first team.
You want Russell POY in the A10?

Then go with 208's philosophy and don't settle for conceding 1st place to Dayton

Dayton is (20-2) and 6th Ranked in the Nation in the AP Poll

Obi Toppin is considered a leading candidate for National POY, never mind just the A10 POY

The good news is URI Plays Dayton twice this season (Post Season Tournament Performance does not count towards National or A10 POY)

Russell can make a huge run at A10 POY if URI beats Dayton at least once, but preferable in both games. Russell obviously would need to have strong performances.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
You want Russell POY in the A10?

Then go with 208's philosophy and don't settle for conceding 1st place to Dayton

Dayton is (20-2) and 6th Ranked in the Nation in the AP Poll

Obi Toppin is considered a leading candidate for National POY, never mind just the A10 POY

The good news is URI Plays Dayton twice this season (Post Season Tournament Performance does not count towards National or A10 POY)

Russell can make a huge run at A10 POY if URI beats Dayton at least once, but preferable in both games. Russell obviously would need to have strong performances.
I want Russell as POY if he deserves it and he certainly has a case. As does Toppin. A case can be made for co-POYs. Both players have a legitimate case for POY. What is wrong with that?

I really don't understand your point.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... conference

Thought this was a fair write up.

Front-runner: Obi Toppin, Dayton Flyers

Toppin, a projected first-round pick in the NBA draft who commands the most efficient offense in America, is not only the favorite in this Player of the Year race, he might be the front-runner in the Wooden Award chase, too. He has put together eye-popping numbers for a Dayton team that's undefeated in the Atlantic 10, but his 71 percent clip inside the 3-point line in A-10 play, along with 19.7 PPG and 8.0 RPG, top the list.

Top competition: Fatts Russell, Rhode Island Rams

He has steered Rhode Island's eight-game winning streak (its last loss was Jan. 5). Russell entered the week averaging 20.0 PPG, an assist every five possessions and a 42 percent success rate from the 3-point line in A-10 action.
Good article, but why isn't the Atlantic 10 included in the conference shortcuts at the top, but every other conference is? C'mon man...
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It will be Obi T this year but next year it’s all about our very own Fatts !!!
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

High praise From Rothstein!

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago High praise From Rothstein!

Kind of a strange take....

I get it though.

Waaaaay to rile up Jalen Crutcher for next weeks game Jon!

The Dayton fans are pissed about that tweet.
1 x
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

3 x
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

I get it though.

This is vintage Jon Rothstein. Just fire out stuff to bring attention to himself. It’s one thing to say something like this but another to have such impeccably poor timing, why?

Because he is trying to make a pint about Obi Toppin being so great, and Russell too - combining them would make this National Championship capable team, BUT what his lack of research and awareness glowingly misses is that Jalen Crutcher just got Atlantic 10 Player of the Week not just once but two consecutive weeks - beating out his own Teammate Obi Toppin.

Player of the Week
1- Obi Toppin-Dayton, Nick Sherod-Richmond
2- Jacob Gilyard-Richmond, Marcus Santos-Silva-VCU
3- Fatts Russell-URI, Hasahn French-SLU
4- Obi Toppin-Dayton
5- Jacob Gilyard-Richmond, Michael Hughes-Duquesne
6- Marcus Weathers-Duquesne, Isiah Dias-LaSalle
7- Ryan Daly-St Joseph
8- Ibi Watson-Dayton
9- Obi Toppin-Dayton, Marcus Sanyos-Silva-VCU
10- Jordan Goodwin-SLU
11- Jalen Crutcher-Dayton
12- Jalen Crutcher-Dayton

13- Ryan Daly-St Joseph, Javonte Perkins-SLU
0 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

I get it though.

This is vintage Jon Rothstein. Just fire out stuff to bring attention to himself. It’s one thing to say something like this but another to have such impeccably poor timing, why?

Because he is trying to make a pint about Obi Toppin being so great, and Russell too - combining them would make this National Championship capable team, BUT what his lack of research and awareness glowingly misses is that Jalen Crutcher just got Atlantic 10 Player of the Week not just once but two consecutive weeks - beating out his own Teammate Obi Toppin.

Player of the Week
4- Obi Toppin-Dayton
7- Ryan Daly-St Joseph
8- Ibi Watson-Dayton
10- Jordan Goodwin-SLU

Well he's right...Fatts is the better player, easily.

Dayton fans' logic in the Twitter responses is the same as us saying "Toppin is good, but I'd rather have Cyril because of rebounds and blocks"
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago

I get it though.

Player of the Week
4- Obi Toppin-Dayton
7- Ryan Daly-St Joseph
8- Ibi Watson-Dayton
10- Jordan Goodwin-SLU

Dayton fans' logic in the Twitter responses is the same as us saying "Toppin is good, but I'd rather have Cyril because of rebounds and blocks"
But since it doesn’t matter, it’s not like you can trade players in College as in the 4-team NBA trade, or the Betts/Price deal, this post by Rothstein is simply annoying. Both fan bases get riled up for nothing. It’s a stupid suggestion by Rothstein with intentional timing knowing the URI Dayton Game is next Tuesday. Rothstein is just stirring the pot, knowing he can tweet the College Basketball World, and get a bunch of hits to boost his own popularity.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago

Player of the Week
4- Obi Toppin-Dayton
7- Ryan Daly-St Joseph
8- Ibi Watson-Dayton
10- Jordan Goodwin-SLU

But since it doesn’t matter, it’s not like you can trade players in College as in the 4-team NBA trade, or the Betts/Price deal, this post by Rothstein is simply annoying. Both fan bases get riled up for nothing. It’s a stupid suggestion by Rothstein with intentional timing knowing the URI Dayton Game is next Tuesday. Rothstein is just stirring the pot, knowing he can tweet the College Basketball World, and get a bunch of hits to boost his own popularity.
Stir the pot baby!

Fatts shows up biggest when the lights are brightest. Would love an even more charged up matchup between him and crutcher.

But next week doesn’t matter if we don’t beat GW Saturday.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think you guys are giving Rothstein too much credit if you think he is cooking up controversy on purpose. I don't think he even takes himself seriously at this point, so we probably shouldn't either.
7 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rothstein rarely responds to be people’s tweets, I was bit surprised he did here.

The guy owns his brand, gotta respect it.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

All publicity is good publicity.
2 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago All publicity is good publicity.
Even the Bergeron, Pierre and Company histrionics were good for A10 and New England College Basketball

Anybody who passed on going to last nights game and those who left early missed a bunch of excitement

I was planning on going to UMASS in March and last night sealed those plans.

Escalating the URI vs UMASS Rivalry is great.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I like Rothstein he always talks URI up
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... son-1.html

Allen Iverson’s career stats at GT.

Interesting to compare with FATT’s stats.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago All publicity is good publicity.
Even the Bergeron, Pierre and Company histrionics were good for A10 and New England College Basketball

Anybody who passed on going to last nights game and those who left early missed a bunch of excitement

I was planning on going to UMASS in March and last night sealed those plans.

Escalating the URI vs UMASS Rivalry is great.
If you’ve never been to the Mullins Center, beware — you’ll be sitting about a half mile from the court. Worse than the Dunkin’ Dump.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t know what the A10 POW has to do with anything. There is no reason to even do that this year if we are being honest about it - either Fatts and Obi should split it every week or they should trade back and forth. Any other result is silly and shows the people deciding it don’t take it seriously, so neither should anyone else. Jalen Crutcher is a nice player but he is not comparable to Fatts, at least this year.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by TulaneGradRamFan »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 4 years ago
Is Fatts really only 5'8" tall? He's listed as being 5'10".
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 4 years ago Yeah I like Rothstein he always talks URI up
He talks everyone up, though. That’s his MO, and it’s why he has a career - basically everyone in the country can say they like that guy because he talks their team up.
3 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I like Jon for the same reason I like Dicky V... they both are passionate about College basketball. Debate the delivery of said passion all you want but at the end of the day they promote the game. For me, that is a very good thing.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Jon’s tweet was genius. Did you see how many responses he received. People on social media don’t care if you agree with them, they want more comments, likes, followers.
Jon - you sly dog...
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SandorClegane wrote: 4 years ago Jon’s tweet was genius. Did you see how many responses he received. People on social media don’t care if you agree with them, they want more comments, likes, followers.
Jon - you sly dog...
Are you then calling the biggest tweeter of all, the Commander in Chief, a sly dog and a genius with social media?
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TulaneGradRamFan wrote: 4 years ago
When the starting lineups are being introduced, he is 'a 5'8" guard from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania'.
1 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
TulaneGradRamFan wrote: 4 years ago
When the starting lineups are being introduced, he is 'a 5'8" guard from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania'.
Wow! That is amazing. Talk about " Big/good things coming in small packages"!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He started out his first year at 5'10"....as his testicles have gotten increasingly larger they are weighing him down....he is shrinking in height from having to drag those two around....simple science.....he may end up 5"2" before he is done here.....
23 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous has nailed it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
TulaneGradRamFan
Marc Upshaw

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago He started out his first year at 5'10"....as his testicles have gotten increasingly larger they are weighing him down....he is shrinking in height from having to drag those two around....simple science.....he may end up 5"2" before he is done here.....
Lol, too funny!

Too bad there don't seem to be many articles about ACTUAL short players for 2020. Last year Fats was in the company of 9 others (one who was a senior) who were even shorter than he was in 2019 - https://herosports.com/college-basketba ... niels-aiai

Last month they thought these guys were "short" https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ns-college. They totally overlooked Fatts not to mention the other 8 written about last year who are shorter than Fatts that still must be out there.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago He started out his first year at 5'10"....as his testicles have gotten increasingly larger they are weighing him down....he is shrinking in height from having to drag those two around....simple science.....he may end up 5"2" before he is done here.....
Just quoting this to have it read again. Perfection.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I had diagnosed this issue during his freshman year but I just thought it was adding weight, didn’t realize it was impacting his height as well.
TruePoint wrote: 6 years ago If Fatts Russell is 140 pounds, 90 of those are his balls.
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I had diagnosed this issue during his freshman year but I just thought it was adding weight, didn’t realize it was impacting his height as well.
TruePoint wrote: 6 years ago If Fatts Russell is 140 pounds, 90 of those are his balls.
Right on. People can say all they want about KB not adding value to society. But THIS. This proves we are we not only a wise bunch but have foresight to dissect even the most complex of topics.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

It's time for Fatts to get the national recognition he deserves. Everyone should know who he is with this level of play and the season he is having. Keep doing your thing Fatts!
4 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If he plays against Dayton like he has been against everyone else, he will get a lot of recognition.
If we beat Dayton at Dayton and Fatts is a big reason for it, we will be getting lots of good PR.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

At least give him A-10 player of the week this week.
1 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

He is in a uphill battle for POY in the A10. The head to head matchup is key!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I loved how during the broadcast they mentioned how much he worked in the offseason improving his game hats off to him
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He shrunk another inch today....
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago He shrunk another inch today....
El Señor tiene cajones.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 4 years ago He shrunk another inch today....
El Señor tiene cajones.
Jajones mas grande.
0 x