2019-20 Bracketology

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology

Unread post by steviep123 »

The studio crew at halftime of UMass/Davidson on cbssn (Stover/Rothstein/Lappas/Davis) have the A10 with 3 teams in. Rothstein and Lappas say Rhody separated themselves last night and are the second team in. The other 2 agree with 3 bids, but not yet sure which 3.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Well check on point two! So far so good on point 3!
Crazy how much changes in a month. Although I still think we can only really lose 1 to Dayton and that may be it.
I still don't understand how any site can have VCU ahead of us. Only beating them once, okay keep them ranked higher, but beating them twice and in the fashion we did last night...
I think we should break into at least the 30s
So you don’t think losing on the road to Dayton and Davidson, but winning the rest including home win over Dayton is enough? Other scenario losing to Dayton twice and running the table with the rest. I am usually more skeptical than most, but think that keeps us as the second team from the A-10 in terms of an at large
Gotta agree. 15-3 should do it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

I think 15-3 will do it but only if the next two are Dayton and I'll agree with at Davidson as long as Davidson doesn't continue to lose ground. I don't think they finish the year as strong as they normally would that's what scares me.
0 x
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

Crew doing Dayton/Fordham game said it’ll be Dayton / Rhody / VCU. A10 Tourney could make a big difference for any of those middle teams.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

15-3 would secure a bid no matter how we do in Brooklyn

14-4 I think we would have a good chance now

We are in position
1 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

ESPN starting up the bubble watch article today. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... bble-years

Work to do:

Rhode Island Rams

Notching the season sweep over VCU will help Rhode Island's tournament prospects. So would sweeping Dayton, and the Rams will still play the Flyers twice. The question is how sustainable this team's excellent defense will prove to be over the long haul. The Atlantic 10 has connected on just 26% of its 3s against David Cox's team thus far. Then again, if Fatts Russell continues to play the way he did against VCU (30 points), URI is going to be one tough team to beat.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Weird how ESPN still does this after canning Eamonn Brennan who does his original Bubble Watch for The Athletic now.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

john gasaway did it last year and looks like he's writing it again this year
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Fuck ESPN haha

They position it as if Rhody sweeps Dayton it could help their NCAA prospects

How bout write that they’ll be a lock if they do that
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago Fuck ESPN haha

Sweeping Dayton is highly likely Top 20.
0 x
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago Fuck ESPN haha

I didn't take it that way. I took it as we play dayton twice giving us more opportunity to help pad our resume.

Edit i misread your post. I agree that just say what they need to be a lock
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This guy isn't close to as informed as Eamonn Brennan.

He doesnt even put their records next to the team name and he doesnt give the A-10 it's own category!
1 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

If we sweep Dayton, that better mean we win out the rest of our season, and if that happens we are top 15
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago If we sweep Dayton, that better mean we win out the rest of our season, and if that happens we are top 15

And we wont know what to do with ourselves.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I don’t care about Dayton until after we’ve played UMass & GW.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey lets go easy on this guy. Next week he might say we're a lock and then we'll need to back track and talk about what a genius he is!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago I don’t care about Dayton until after we’ve played UMass & GW.
I don’t care about GW until after we play UMASS
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In today's Bracketville update, we're the second to last bye and a 10 seed in Albany taking on Michigan
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I think we are a week away from cracking the top 25
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Smokinjimit wrote: 4 years ago I think we are a week away from cracking the top 25
As long as we keep winning.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rams are still an 11 seed on Bracket Matrix, appearing in 70 of 78 brackets as of this morning. They're just a hair away from a 10 seed.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SIXTH IN on bracketmatrix and bracketville.

BEAT UMASS
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Andy Katz has URI as a 9 seed.
0 x
GO RAMS
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I hate the 9 seed. I’d rather be a 10-11-12.

Plus they will put us up against Duke as usual.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote: 4 years ago
Jerry Palm smokes crystal meth by the pound if he honestly believes that Utah State should be in over Texas Tech.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I feel like I remember it coming up a few years ago that Palm was among the worst bracket predictors maybe?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I remember it coming up a few years ago that Palm was among the worst bracket predictors maybe?
Correct. He's ranked 85/133 for accuracy over the past 5 years. 30 spots worse than Lunardi.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I remember it coming up a few years ago that Palm was among the worst bracket predictors maybe?
Correct. He's ranked 85/133 for accuracy over the past 5 years. 30 spots worse than Lunardi.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
Thank you. Day after Super Bowl laziness prevented me from just looking it up myself!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I actually wouldn't mind going up against Duke this year.

We lost that bad because they had two 6'11 NBA players and we used 6'4 Stan Robinson 6'8 slow Andre Berry and Cyril to guard them.

We wouldn't fall into that bad of a mismatch this go around. They aren't that big and we are much bigger.

I'd love so very much to knock them out.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

lol all good! Good for the links to pop up on here every now and again regardless.

Also, speaking of the best brackets - Bracketville is always at the top of the list for most accurate.

Today's update has us as a 10 seed playing Michigan for the right to play Nova/Charleston IN ALBANY. Which would lead a path out to LA for a potential rematch with Oregon, or Marquette/Mississippi St.

I mean obviously the cart is about 1289734123 miles before the course here. But that's as close a dream bid scenario as I could think up right now.

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology

Pulling my head back from the clouds...BEAT UMASS TOMORROW. or none of this matters.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I do like the 6, 7, or 10, 11 seeds. As SmokinJim said, best to avoid the 8/9 slot.

I think mathematically, we don't get the 11, because we either have to be good enough to win an at large bid, which is like 6-8 or we have to win the A-10 Tourney, which always seems to put us in 8/9 with 10 an unlikely outside shot.

So, just concentrate on winning everything, one game at a time. This team has the talent, they just need their heads screwed on right and some lucky bounces along the way. One game at a time.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'd love another shot at Oregon if it came to that. I have a feeling Dowtin and Cyril would agree with me to.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

If you want to root for best geography, based on the current seed list from Bracket Matrix, I believe that to be the 6 & 11 seeds. Based on my estimations, there would be a 50% chance of playing in Albany and a 50% chance of playing in Tampa. The 7 & 10 would not be bad either as I believe there would be a 50% chance of being Greensboro and a 25% chance of being in Cleveland (took out the 25% from Dayton). The worst placement would be as an 8/9 seed, as there would be a 50% chance of playing out West with both San Diego St. and Gonzaga on the 1 seed line. It's an unlikely seed but a 5 seed & 12 seed would be a grab bag of unpredictability, but likely all midwest and western locations. Obviously things can change depending on seed line placement, but that is an RJ geographic bracket breakdown as of the moment.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would NOT mind Tampa. Neither would my wife.
2 x
GO RAMS
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago If you want to root for best geography, based on the current seed list from Bracket Matrix, I believe that to be the 6 & 11 seeds. Based on my estimations, there would be a 50% chance of playing in Albany and a 50% chance of playing in Tampa. The 7 & 10 would not be bad either as I believe there would be a 50% chance of being Greensboro and a 25% chance of being in Cleveland (took out the 25% from Dayton). The worst placement would be as an 8/9 seed, as there would be a 50% chance of playing out West with both San Diego St. and Gonzaga on the 1 seed line. It's an unlikely seed but a 5 seed & 12 seed would be a grab bag of unpredictability, but likely all midwest and western locations. Obviously things can change depending on seed line placement, but that is an RJ geographic bracket breakdown as of the moment.
Very good sleuthing. Thank you
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

This is a dangerous game you all are playing.

Planning these trips in your mind with 9 games left to play.

Let’s worry about getting to the opposing teams arena or back to the Ryan Center, for now.

One game at a time.
7 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

agreed.

I was going to entertain this train of thought, but I'll stop for now.

Moot point if they sleepwalk tomorrow night. Thank God that game is not 9pm as listed.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We have been through this so many times.

We dont need to shut down that kind of speculation.

We all know how it goes.

Look ahead or not, we will be PISSED if we lose to stupid ass UMass tomorrow.

I say relax and let us speculate. Dont think it's going to matter whether we do or not.
2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago We have been through this so many times.

We dont need to shut down that kind of speculation.

We all know how it goes.

Look ahead or not, we will be PISSED if we lose to stupid ass UMass tomorrow.

I say relax and let us speculate. Dont think it's going to matter whether we do or not.
Spread those lies to people who don’t read the bi-weekly in game meltdowns.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago This is a dangerous game you all are playing.

Let’s worry about getting to the opposing teams arena or back to the Ryan Center, for now.

One game at a time.
Preach!! Can we enjoy the ride? Team is playing good ball right now, enjoy it. This board is tough, between the fake Rhody fans, the woeful insecurity that many posters have and the woe is me attitude that is pervasive, this is a psychologists dream.

I am just glad that they are back in the discussion for an NCAA bid. Based on losing Shephard before the year, I thought they had very little chance to do that. Add the Tate situation, the Hammond situation and Walker not available to the second semester, as an Alum and die hard fan I am quite happy with where they are and I think Cox has done one hell of a job. They are playing their best basketball of the year and I look forward to watching the next 9 games and hopefully a bunch after that.

I want to add that there are a bunch of really good posters on this forum that I do enjoy reading and I commend you for putting up the good fight on here. I confess to not having the patience, or the time really, to do that and mostly just read.

Oh and by the way I would not touch URI minus 16 1/2 against Umass. Umass is very inconsistent and very young, but they have some talent on that team. They beat St. Joes and Duquesne comfortably just before that aberration against Davidson. They also took St. Louis to overtime on the road and always seem to give us a hard time. The talent is much better than their record, 16.5 is too much and is influenced overly by the last game each team has played.
4 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago I actually wouldn't mind going up against Duke this year.

We lost that bad because they had two 6'11 NBA players and we used 6'4 Stan Robinson 6'8 slow Andre Berry and Cyril to guard them.

We wouldn't fall into that bad of a mismatch this go around. They aren't that big and we are much bigger.

I'd love so very much to knock them out.
When you're playing Duke, you're playing five against eight.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago This board is tough, between the fake Rhody fans, the woeful insecurity that many posters have and the woe is me attitude that is pervasive, this is a psychologists dream.

Fake Rhody fans? What are those? You mean... Russians?
Last edited by rhodyfan3000 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago When you're playing Duke, you're playing five against eight.
Amen to that. 5 Duke players and 3 Zebras
0 x
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago This board is tough, between the fake Rhody fans, the woeful insecurity that many posters have and the woe is me attitude that is pervasive, this is a psychologists dream.
I'm still laughing.

On the one hand, this guy is the bastion of psychological fortitude, and then slips in the same sentence, the most paranoid thing ever written on this board.

Fake Rhody fans. Like this site is so important in the greater scheme of things, that people are hanging around trying to infiltrate it. Get over yourself.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In today's Bracketville update, we're the second to last bye and a 10 seed in Albany taking on Michigan
While it has no bearing on reality - you have equal chance of winning the lottery as that happening - that site and matchup would absolutely rock.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago I would NOT mind Tampa. Neither would my wife.
Same...and like many probably, Tampa would come with a free place to stay, with a fellow hoops nut.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So URI is being discussed nationally as an at large team and some are suggesting Rhody fans not discuss and speculate? It's cloudy so I can't see if it's a full moon or not.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

One
Game
At
A
Time
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2019-20 Bracketology Talk - The Most Dangerous Game

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago This is a dangerous game you all are playing.

One game at a time.
This is great stuff...we should append the name of this thread to: "2019-20 Bracketology Talk - The Most Dangerous Game"
0 x