Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by eli#10 »

Please get rid of this thread. Jermaine is getting better by the game!!!!!
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Let Scott continue to be a fan. He’s a good guy and means well.
I agree with that 100%. The people making the POS comments have zero credibility.
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TP or ATP, do the right thing. Let’s blow this thing into oblivion.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago TP or ATP, do the right thing. Let’s blow this thing into oblivion.
💙🤙🏼💯
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Yes, Please, I know and it's a great thing that you guys (mods) do your best to uphold people's rights to state their opinions, I applaud it. But, please guys, consider our idea's on this thread. Lock it up and get rid of the dramatic improvement bit, this way nobody is deleting anyone's posts. Can't teach good manners to the oblivious, I get there will always be those associations, but I'm not sure at what point it just says something too extreme about the entire community keeping a shitty thread like this active. Jermaine deserves so much better than this, it truly saddens me to know this kid has to put up with this crap.
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There have been many posters critical of Jermaine Harris
They often say he has not lived up to the hype
What nonsense. What does the kid have to do with what he was ranked in High School among basketball players? It's just a bunch of people, many of whom have never played college basketball in their lives, ranking kids. Who cares. What in the world does all this incoming hype mean anyway. What does he owe any poster or fan? Nothing.

Fact is Jermaine is continuing to improve. David Cox has started Jermaine every game of his career. These people criticizing Jermaine think they know more than David Cox. Some of these same people also used to criticize Cyril Langevine and look how far Langevine has come at URI. It's disgusting how much criticism is leveled at some players at URI, especially big men.

Keep the thread. Jermaine is proving these posters wrong. They don't want to admit it and will simply run and hide, just disappear. Some I believe have posted here under different names. They always seem to return with the same negativity, trying to disrupt the fans and the team.

Jermaine is an integral member of the 8 outstanding individuals that David Cox is depending on. A wonderful 8 game winning streak, its just amazing that some want to go after select individuals. Some people look only at the box scores, only at points scored, rebounds had. Some I don't think ever go to games, only criticize from armchairs. That is obvious from the comments that say Jermaine doesn't hustle down the court, loses his man frequently, etc. Go to games and you will see Jermaine hustle and give effort as much or more than any player on the floor. It's tiring to hear the same nonsense over and over again. Locking the thread doesn't fix that. You can't fix stupid.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

On the plus side, you can't fix lazy either. Those that will pile on to this thread whenever they see an opening, are likely too lazy to start another thread. My vote would be to lock it, that way if folks want to look for it, they can, but it doesn't keep getting bumped up (like i just did here).
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some will be critical of him no matter whether there is a thread for it or not.

It's open season on the game threads anyway.

Every player has been the subject of criticism on this board at one time or another.

It's the same on EVERY team's board.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

This thread wasn’t started in order to criticize the player. It’s OK to have a thread specifically to discuss one player. We aren’t going to lock a thread because some posters were critical of the player in it. As much as I think the people that have criticized Jermaine have been largely wrong, I (and anyone else that agrees with me) can answer those criticisms in the thread. We don’t need to delete it. To the extent that we are worried about a player or his family reading something negative here, that’s unfortunately part of being an athlete in a sport with public interest and hopefully the defenses of the player here will let them realize that most of the fan base and the community is behind him. If you still don’t want to see the thread anymore, I’d strongly suggest not posting in it.

I will consider changing the thread title.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Jermaine realizes to not take some of the ridiculous negative takes on here seriously.

A couple of guys on a message board is a very distinct minority after all.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago This thread wasn’t started in order to criticize the player. It’s OK to have a thread specifically to discuss one player. We aren’t going to lock a thread because some posters were critical of the player in it. As much as I think the people that have criticized Jermaine have been largely wrong, I (and anyone else that agrees with me) can answer those criticisms in the thread. We don’t need to delete it. To the extent that we are worried about a player or his family reading something negative here, that’s unfortunately part of being an athlete in a sport with public interest and hopefully the defenses of the player here will let them realize that most of the fan base and the community is behind him. If you still don’t want to see the thread anymore, I’d strongly suggest not posting in it.

The 1st sentence is very accurate

I started this thread because I was hopeful that last years injuries affected his output dramatically

I was uninformed quite frankly

It was just a preseason speculation/conversation starter kind of thing

Since I started this thread then I Would approve closing it - I Never thought that it would blow up as it has

I Do believe that is singles out JH probably too much at this point

apologies and GO RHODY
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago A couple of guys on a message board is a very distinct minority after all.
I think this is the key right here. Somewhere along the line it became "many posters" criticizing Harris but I think the reality is thats just not the case. There are/were a few people that criticized his game, but what usually happens around here (and I have done it myself at times), is that a few people say something crazy and then 50 people reply to it and talk about it over and over for the next few weeks until in their heads it becomes something like "EVERY FAN HATES THIS PLAYER BUT ME!" or "EVERY FAN THINKS WE SUCK BUT ME!".
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago A couple of guys on a message board is a very distinct minority after all.
I think this is the key right here. Somewhere along the line it became "many posters" criticizing Harris but I think the reality is thats just not the case. There are/were a few people that criticized his game, but what usually happens around here (and I have done it myself at times), is that a few people say something crazy and then 50 people reply to it and talk about it over and over for the next few weeks until in their heads it becomes something like "EVERY FAN HATES THIS PLAYER BUT ME!" or "EVERY FAN THINKS WE SUCK BUT ME!".
No I don’t think that has been the case with Harris. Definitely has been more than just a couple.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
No I don’t think that has been the case with Harris. Definitely has been more than just a couple.
Ok, so maybe its more than just a couple. The exact number of people isn't important. But it's definitely a minority, and at this point it's been built up into something much bigger than it needed to be and we're just throwing gasoline on to a fire and wondering why it won't go out.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago This thread wasn’t started in order to criticize the player. It’s OK to have a thread specifically to discuss one player. We aren’t going to lock a thread because some posters were critical of the player in it. As much as I think the people that have criticized Jermaine have been largely wrong, I (and anyone else that agrees with me) can answer those criticisms in the thread. We don’t need to delete it. To the extent that we are worried about a player or his family reading something negative here, that’s unfortunately part of being an athlete in a sport with public interest and hopefully the defenses of the player here will let them realize that most of the fan base and the community is behind him. If you still don’t want to see the thread anymore, I’d strongly suggest not posting in it.

The 1st sentence is very accurate

I started this thread because I was hopeful that last years injuries affected his output dramatically

I was uninformed quite frankly

It was just a preseason speculation/conversation starter kind of thing

Since I started this thread then I Would approve closing it - I Never thought that it would blow up as it has

I Do believe that is singles out JH probably too much at this point

apologies and GO RHODY

I respect you ECR now, as you know. I realize you started this thread. Other people took it upon themselves to make it a three ring circus. I still want to know if the jabroni publicly stating on Scott Brand’s Facebook page that JH should transfer posts on this board. Complete fool.

TP shouldn’t “consider” changing the name of the thread, he should DO it. It’s not something to mull over.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I specifically am calling people out. As long as this thread is active and d bags think it's ok to speak their mean spirit on the subject, I will call them out. If that's fuel on this fire then burn baby burn, until a player gives me a reason to not, I will defend to the last. Jermaine deserves our gratitude if anything.

Thank you Jermaine Harris for toughing it out last season, playing through a debilitating injury, working hard every day when lesser people would have wilted. Thank you for being committed! Go Rhody!!!
4 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Lot's of respect for Scott, he's a hard core Rhody fan, through and through. I sort of stopped using FB so I haven't checked those comments, but I really hope Scott deletes/disrupts those negative type comments directed at our players.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
TP shouldn’t “consider” changing the name of the thread, he should DO it. It’s not something to mull over.
It was already changed, which I guess goes to show the real importance of it. But still, I changed it.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago
It was already changed, which I guess goes to show the real importance of it. But still, I changed it.

I see that you did, but when I posted that response, my feed was still showing the old subject line- and yes it is important.

Thank you for being oh so considerate and obliging.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That’s because you quoted a post that’s subject was under the previous thread title. All posts in a thread are headed “Re: [thread title]”

I’m not sure that the previous thread title was an issue. It was originally posed as a legitimate question before the season started. It wasn’t originally intended as a sarcastic, shade-throwing thing. I understand why it could be interpreted that way at this point, so I changed it. But to Adam’s point, there really has not been a widespread piling on with respect to Jermaine - whether it was two or five people or whatever, it was the same small number of folks doing it. This thread isn’t and never was an anti-Jermaine thread, it just became a depository for those shitty takes.

While I respect the instinct to go to bat for one of our players, and I share the sentiment, I feel like at this point the thread is being kept alive by people making a show of where they stand on negative player takes and it is giving the impression that this thread was 10 pages of trashing a kid in our program when it really just never was that.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the name change of the thread

Though I am not the biggest JH fan with regards to his play I will continue to pull for him to succeed. We definitely need about 20 solid minutes a night from him
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I respect him because he chose to attend and represent our university.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just for comparisons sake.

Tre Mitchell, a freshman big man, similarly ranked to Harris, had multiple P5 offers (just like Harris), and choose to come to an A10 school (just like Harris).

Look at Mitchell’s numbers compared to Harris’.

Night and day.

I know we had better players last year who needed more shots, but the numbers aren’t even comparable.

So much for the “all freshman big men need time to develop” takes.

I will no longer be posting in this thread, regardless of his game by game performance.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Just for comparisons sake.

Tre Mitchell, a freshman big man, similarly ranked to Harris, has multiple P5 offers (just like Harris), and choose to come to an A10 school.

Night and day.

I know we had better players last year who needed more shots, but the numbers aren’t even comparable.

The difference is Mitchell is expected to be the man at UMass. Harris is not here.
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1. UMass built their team around Mitchell, and their team is horrendous.

2. Every player is different. Some guys are ranked where they are because they have a low floor and are college ready. Some guys are ranked where they are because they have a high ceiling.

3. Worst case, the scouting services screwed up and he was a top-200 player and not a top-100 player. That’s not his fault, and there is no reason to go after him about that. Even if that’s true (and I’m not sure that it is), he’s a clear A10-caliber big man as a sophomore, despite injuries and despite being the last guy on the floor to eat just about no matter what the lineup configuration is. There is no reason to be a dickhead because you didn’t have your expectations met - expectations that you just made up for yourself and nobody (least of all the kid) made you have.
5 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Tre Mitchell, a freshman big man, similarly ranked to Harris, had multiple P5 offers (just like Harris), and choose to come to an A10 school (just like Harris).

Night and day.

I will no longer be posting in this thread, regardless of his game by game performance.
How about just no longer posting....at all...anywhere.
4 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Tre Mitchell, a freshman....
I'm done biting my tongue, you are the dumbest fucknut on this forum.
3 x
Go Rhody!!!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Night and day.

How about just no longer posting....at all...anywhere.
Remember when you called someone a woman as an insult, doubled down on it, and refused to apologize?

Yikes buddy.
1 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I will no longer be posting in this thread, regardless of his game by game performance.
Lies, Lies, I can't believe a word you say....
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Also DC did apologize, unfortunately long after the fact and in a totally different thread, but it happened.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Also DC did apologize, unfortunately long after the fact and in a totally different thread, but it happened.
Actually it was the same day, in the same post. LoveThoseRams called me out on it. Either way, I was an adult about it. R15, is the equivalent of a spoiled brat.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Also DC did apologize, unfortunately long after the fact and in a totally different thread, but it happened.
Actually it was the same day, in the same post. LoveThoseRams called me out on it. Either way, I was an adult about it. R15, is the equivalent of a spoiled brat.
I guess I missed that, I take you at your word. I do think you addressed it again another time and seemed contrite, I believe your sincerity.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

It was actually me DC called a female. That crap doesn't even register in my mind as an insult. Trust me I've been called worse and called others worse. You wouldn't believe what me and my friends called each other in the line up when the surf was 10-12' and pounding. I didn't need an apology.
2 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I think the issue with DC's comment was that he used woman as an insult, which is insulting to women of course, if I am remembering correctly he apologized for that aspect of it, to anyone it offended.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This place has somehow gotten even weirder lately!
3 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago It was actually me DC called a female. That crap doesn't even register in my mind as an insult. Trust me I've been called worse and called others worse. You wouldn't believe what me and my friends called each other in the line up when the surf was 10-12' and pounding. I didn't need an apology.
I too thought it was a little light, we were both emotional during a game. However, I appreciate all the women on the board and they took offense, so, whomever I offended, deserved an apology.

I still hated your sentiment at the time, for the record. Lol, we’ve come a long way since then.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago It was actually me DC called a female. That crap doesn't even register in my mind as an insult. Trust me I've been called worse and called others worse. You wouldn't believe what me and my friends called each other in the line up when the surf was 10-12' and pounding. I didn't need an apology.
I too thought it was a little light, we were both emotional during a game. However, I appreciate all the women on the board and they took offense, so, whomever I offended, deserved an apology.

I still hated your sentiment at the time, for the record. Lol, we’ve come a long way since then.
Hah! How long does Cox have on his contract? Got you on that one for sure.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago

Hah! How long does Cox have on his contract? Got you on that one for sure.
Ah, yes, the wound is still feels fresh. Jerk.

Jk :lol:
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seems there is nothing worth saying per the original topic.
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund