Jermaine Harris - Season Expectations

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Jermaine Harris - dramatic improvement?

Unread post by TruePoint »

How about we have a friendly wager of another kind? I’m not a big fan of people running off voluntarily or involuntarily.

Fun fact, I won a loser leaves town bet on a Notre Dame football board on the Pats 2014/15 Super Bowl win against Seattle. The genesis of it was that one of the other posters was a huge Colts fan and this was in the direct aftermath of the Deflategate game. He was talking wild shit about Brady and the Pats, and I was defending the wall, as one does. It was a continually escalating war of words that played out over weeks, culminating in him proposing that if the Seahawks beat the Pats, I would leave the board until the next football season and if the Pats won he would do the same. Obviously we all know how this story ends, and he lived up to the bet which seems cool except that in the short term I missed having the one person that I could really spite with the Pats win, and in the long term it sucked that he was gone from the board because overall he was a good dude who I liked.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago How about we have a friendly wager of another kind? I’m not a big fan of people running off voluntarily or involuntarily.

Fun fact, I won a loser leaves town bet on a Notre Dame football board on the Pats 2014/15 Super Bowl win against Seattle. The genesis of it was that one of the other posters was a huge Colts fan and this was in the direct aftermath of the Deflategate game. He was talking wild shit about Brady and the Pats, and I was defending the wall, as one does. It was a continually escalating war of words that played out over weeks, culminating in him proposing that if the Seahawks beat the Pats, I would leave the board until the next football season and if the Pats won he would do the same. Obviously we all know how this story ends, and he lived up to the bet which seems cool except that in the short term I missed having the one person that I could really spite with the Pats win, and in the long term it sucked that he was gone from the board because overall he was a good dude who I liked.
Loser buys beers for the board??
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Running Ram is already on the books for a beer for me lol
1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RR vs R15

This turned into an old WWF loser leaves town

Jake the snake vs honky tonk man
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago How about we have a friendly wager of another kind? I’m not a big fan of people running off voluntarily or involuntarily.

Loser buys beers for the board??
Sounds fair to me.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Anyone who can't see that Harris is a different player from last year is freaking blind. By the way he should have 7 pts...That offensive foul call on his nasty spin move was bullshit.
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Nice half.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Played very well in the first half!
0 x
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Solid game by Jermaine
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

CUT “DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT” BAIT!
5 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......liked his tuffness game tonite, the Harris Project continues to steadily move along......
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Some great tough rebounds. Good foul shooting. Very solid game.

Couple lapses but he’s clearly working through and injury and the talent is there. If he keeps progressing like this he’ll be making a few of us continue to eat our words.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He looks more aggressive and stronger. Plus he's staying out of foul trouble. Solid game.
3 x
GO RAMS
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

His spin move where he was called for an offensive foul was awesome...and in my opinion the wrong call
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I don't care what the stakes are, I just want the baseless bashing of the kid to come to an end. Stakes have to be high enough to give pause, I think the wiser option for 15 would be, take a step back and ease up on the kid. My whole point is that when Jermaine proves him wrong, it's not going to be good enough to just be like "my bad"
We're talking about a young man who was highly sought after by many schools, who chose to come here and then doubled down when our coach left for "greener pastures." He seems to be a good kid, he's definitely working hard and improving and he's on a trajectory to becoming a major factor in his junior and senior seasons. But when the kid gets injured someone is happy because Walker will get more minutes, that is completely unacceptable.
I don't drink beer, so how about game tickets?
Rhody 15, If I'm right and Harris averages 10/5 in his junior season, you buy me two mini-plans for his senior season and if I'm wrong I'll buy two mini-plans for you and whoever can stand your company (joking, I'm sure you're a blast in person)
2 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I don't care what the stakes are, I just want the baseless bashing of the kid to come to an end. Stakes have to be high enough to give pause, I think the wiser option for 15 would be, take a step back and ease up on the kid. My whole point is that when Jermaine proves him wrong, it's not going to be good enough to just be like "my bad"
We're talking about a young man who was highly sought after by many schools, who chose to come here and then doubled down when our coach left for "greener pastures." He seems to be a good kid, he's definitely working hard and improving and he's on a trajectory to becoming a major factor in his junior and senior seasons. But when the kid gets injured someone is happy because Walker will get more minutes, that is completely unacceptable.
Rhody 15, If I'm right and Harris averages 10/5 in his junior season, you buy me two mini-plans for his senior season and if I'm wrong I'll buy two mini-plans for you and whoever can stand your company (joking, I'm sure you're a blast in person)
I’m not betting against a player on my favorite team being bad, just dumb.

Also side note, If Akele and Harris ever played together I think I would spontaneously combust, come back to life, only to spontaneously combust again.

Good lord I’m so glad I never had to witness that.

(Just for the record Harris was / will always be better than Akele, just harder on Harris cus of his pedigree coming in.)
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

One more thing, a Top 80 recruit averaging 10/5 in his junior year isn’t like this crazy stat line!
0 x
Go Rhody
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

You won't bet against him, but it's ok to revel when he's injured. Got it.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

You won't take the challenge because you're wrong and you know it, you just want to reserve the right to be a dick and "yell at" our players. Our players are here for us, playing to entertain you, balancing full time academics and full time basketball, they are not professionals and you only "yelling at him once" is something a dick says.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I’m sure none of you critiquing this young man’s every move on the court or even when he’s sitting on the bench would want to see “dramatic improvement?” next to your name. Give it a rest.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will take the bet JH doesn’t Avg 10 and 5 next year
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Good grief, reef, the point is 15 bashes the kid and has no stakes in anything so when the kid proves him wrong oh well. You don't come on here talking crap and putting our players down. But, ok you're on, I won't mind free tickets in the least.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Anyone else? I'll take tickets from anyone willing.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago Some great tough rebounds. Good foul shooting. Very solid game.

Couple lapses but he’s clearly working through and injury and the talent is there. If he keeps progressing like this he’ll be making a few of us continue to eat our words.
I did not see any lapses from Jermaine.
As usual he stated the game winning the tip. I have seen Jermaine miss only 1 tip this year. I know it might seem to some to be a little thing, but winning the tip and then scoring is a good plus.
Much talk on KB about how great a player Santos-Silva is, some even comparing him more favorably than Langevine

Tonight Santos-Silva played 35 minutes with only 4 rebounds and only 7 points. Douglas, the other Big man starter played only 12 minutes with only 1 rebound, no points and 3 fouls.

Langevine and Harris dominated the VCU big men. Harris was very aggressive and quick with his feet on defense. He tipped a couple of balls loose. His offensive foul when he scored was a horrendous call. If there were lapses on defense by Harris I missed them.

In early January and also in December, some here wanted Harris benched in favor of Walker, some wanted Martin not to start, some even mentioned Dowtin coming off the bench. Cox has the right 5 guys in the starting line up and Cox has a solid trio in Long, Toppin and Walker to sub in

Very good game by Jermaine Harris vs VCU. Langevine was his solid self picking up 3 steals and 3 assists to go with 11 points and 9 rebounds - very solid performance. Langevine and Harris easily won the battle of the big men tonight
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Good grief, reef, the point is 15 bashes the kid and has no stakes in anything so when the kid proves him wrong oh well. You don't come on here talking crap and putting our players down. But, ok you're on, I won't mind free tickets in the least.
I know I hear you Ram and am with you I just don’t think Harris will Avg the 10 and 5 I hope I lose and he does
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think JH will easily average 5 rebounds a game, but not sure about the 10 points a game.

It's possible though.
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

While I never posted about this, I was frustrated with his game, especially on defense. I have seen great overall improvement in the form of aggression and overall “relaxed” approach. Still some defensive lapses but much further apart than before. Yes I admit I used to yell at the TV earlier but he just reminded me of some very talented kids I coached who didn’t get it yet.
Keep grinding big dude, keep letting the game come to you. I can’t believe I just used that phrase.....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think JH will easily average 5 rebounds a game, but not sure about the 10 points a game.

It's possible though.
........I will take that to; maybe with some serious big man work, back to basket moves, low post footwork etc over the summer; he can get the 10 pts a game due to getting fouled cause he is good there......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Speaking of Kenny Green, I remember going to a game at Keaney his freshman year and he blocked the shot of the guy he was covering. I was pretty pumped. My friend from across the hall and his Dad were discussing how good he would become once he started leaving his man to block other players shots. They sure as hell were not wrong on that call. Players evolve especially with playing time and good coaching.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think JH's continued development could hinge a little on who we can bring in as a big next season.

He's not really a back to the basket type 5, more of a face the hoop 4.

With more help at center he should be able to play the 4 more than the 5, but Cox might not have a choice but to play him mostly at the 5.

Need that big who can help at least a little right away.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago I don't care what the stakes are, I just want the baseless bashing of the kid to come to an end. Stakes have to be high enough to give pause, I think the wiser option for 15 would be, take a step back and ease up on the kid. My whole point is that when Jermaine proves him wrong, it's not going to be good enough to just be like "my bad"
This seems really important to you - to put this other poster in his place. Why is that?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago I think JH's continued development could hinge a little on who we can bring in as a big next season.

He's not really a back to the basket type 5, more of a face the hoop 4.

With more help at center he should be able to play the 4 more than the 5, but Cox might not have a choice but to play him mostly at the 5.

Need that big who can help at least a little right away.
.......got it, maybe that is the thing with Jermaine, exactly what is he by position?......in “positionless” basketball....... and then coach him up to that......no?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Totally losing it with these armchair coaches, who think nothing of trashing our players on social media, yet call themselves fans! They are as bad as PeeC trolls in my opinion.

Does anyone follow “URI Basketball Just Getting Started” on Facebook? Two fools went after JH pretty much blaming him for the deficit in the second half, and saying he should transfer. I was going to post their absurdity here but I do not want to promote their trashing of our players.

I am starting to agree that this entire thread should be eliminated, and we move on. I think it is just feeding the nonsense hate club from adults who should treat 20 year old college students better.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

How about, not deleting this thread, but locking it? If it stays open, it's just going to remain a place where...anytime the kid doesn't satisfy...someone's going to come to it and dump on him. Won't matter if he has 3 great games in a row, if he stumbles in the 4th, this thread will get fired up again...
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Totally losing it with these armchair coaches, who think nothing of trashing our players on social media, yet call themselves fans! They are as bad as PeeC trolls in my opinion.

Does anyone follow “URI Basketball Just Getting Started” on Facebook? Two fools went after JH pretty much blaming him for the deficit in the second half, and saying he should transfer. I was going to post their absurdity here but I do not want to promote their trashing of our players.

I am starting to agree that this entire thread should be eliminated, and we move on. I think it is just feeding the nonsense hate club from adults who should treat 20 year old college students better.
Probably nitwit PC fans. Trying to get him to transfer. Guy is going to be a beast soon. Getting stronger every game going after loose ball and rebs.

GO RHODY!
5 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just watched the replay of the game and the offensive foul called on Jermaine was beyond awful. The VCU guy flopped.
8 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago Totally losing it with these armchair coaches, who think nothing of trashing our players on social media, yet call themselves fans! They are as bad as PeeC trolls in my opinion.

I believe the person that runs that page pays for followers, so you never know what you'll get when you do that.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago How about, not deleting this thread, but locking it? If it stays open, it's just going to remain a place where...anytime the kid doesn't satisfy...someone's going to come to it and dump on him. Won't matter if he has 3 great games in a row, if he stumbles in the 4th, this thread will get fired up again...
I second this.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago How about, not deleting this thread, but locking it? If it stays open, it's just going to remain a place where...anytime the kid doesn't satisfy...someone's going to come to it and dump on him. Won't matter if he has 3 great games in a row, if he stumbles in the 4th, this thread will get fired up again...
I second this.
3rd motion. I love Jermaine. The disdain by some makes him my favorite player though I love all
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Wow.

They should be removed from that group.
1 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Jermaine is going to be the key piece Coach Cox saw him being regardless of whatever numbers he puts up. And those of you who call yourselves fans but can't see that are fools. Look at Harris' progress not at your expectations.

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
This seems really important to you - to put this other poster in his place. Why is that?
Because Mean spirited fans of Rhody MBB who turn their ire towards our players aren't ok in my book. And this post should also speak to your question...
Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago You won't take the challenge because you're wrong and you know it, you just want to reserve the right to be a dick and "yell at" our players. Our players are here for us, playing to entertain you, balancing full time academics and full time basketball, they are not professionals and you only "yelling at him once" is something a dick says.
It is beyond reprehensible when "adults" treat amateur kid basketball players with such flippant disregard. The pressure our players are under to perform at high levels is unlike anything these idiots can relate to. So my thing is if you want to spout mean shit talk about one of our own, you should at least stand by it to the end. When Jermaine shuts them up, nothing changes for them, no lesson learned with no skin in the game.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 years ago Anyone who can't see that Harris is a different player from last year is freaking blind. By the way he should have 7 pts...That offensive foul call on his nasty spin move was bullshit.
He is a big part of the puzzle. And is getting drastically better every game
3 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Also before it gets locked (if it does) can we please take TS's suggestion and eliminate the "- dramatic improvement" bit from the title?
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

The fact that there are so many occasions where I find myself compelled to defend our own players is sickening!!! for real, I get sick to my stomach when fucking idiot "adults" talk about a kid in public forums the way many do about our players.

I curse every person that engages in this behavior. May your genitals shrivel and dry like two golden raisins, don't want you influencing generations to come.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago I’m sure none of you critiquing this young man’s every move on the court or even when he’s sitting on the bench would want to see “dramatic improvement?” next to your name. Give it a rest.
+1
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Gee, it's almost like spending your freshman year injured delays your development....who knew?
2 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago

I believe the person that runs that page pays for followers, so you never know what you'll get when you do that.
Well I thought it strange that he had a picture of #1 Jarvis Garrett but was talking about Fatts Russell...called him out on that one :roll:
1 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let Scott continue to be a fan. He’s a good guy and means well.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Wow.

They should be removed from that group.
I had missed those comments, went back and read. What an imbecile. He looks like he enjoys pyramid schemes.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 4 years ago Gee, it's almost like spending your freshman year injured delays your development....who knew?
I remember when I broke my arm I was in a cast for six weeks. Once the cast was off my arm was incredibly weak and had to work on regaining muscle strength, overall usage AND it was my dominant arm. Do these people not realize things that?
0 x